Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 11/18

Today is my rest day. I did some stretching this morning before church. It is freezing cold today with drizzle and wind. Fortunately it is supposed to warm up tomorrow.

Last edited:
Hello Ladies,
Today is my rest day so no workout to report. I’m still working on getting the house ready for company and some cooking preparations. Have a great day everyone.

we had a cold clear morning, waited until it warmed a little and rode for 1 hr 20 min. a short version of our regular ride. it froze hard last night, mid 20's, but it has been dry so no ice to deal with. tomorrow we will try a hike. we'll take microspikes, snowshoes, and a chainsaw just in case. not sure if we can get to the trail we want to do, so will be ready for plan B in case.

Good afternoon all,

I just got a chance to turn the computer on today. We have been trying to work on a problem we are having with Ike and travelling in the car. I had him in a soft sided crate when I took him to the vet, and he vomited both times in the crate. He was crying practically the whole time too. I was/am afraid that he may be getting car sick. We took him to Pet Supplies Plus, on my lap, then to Pet Smart and he was fine both trips. Now we are thinking it is because of the movement of the car, and being in a crate that he cannot see out of. We just took that one out and put a wire crate in there. I sure hope he will be able to ride in there without getting sick.

Valerie, thanks for starting the thread today.

Carolyn, that's exactly what the PT person said, the weak muscles cause pain in other areas...sometimes it is my whole leg aching. I have a list of all the things that have to be done, by day, to get ready for Thursday. I'm sure you do something similar?

Diane Sue, that lunch sounds delicious. It is freezing here too.

Hi to Lori & Judy,

Take care,

Carolyn, I was looking around thinking I need to plan out getting things done other than cooking for Thanksgiving as well. I put out a group text for folding chairs from family and I am hoping I get them. My one daughter told me to reminder closer to the day. I have to make those lists. I have what others are bringing set out on the counter. I realized yesterday that we do not have a fruit pie on the list. If I can get out I may get stuff to make one. Although my daughter in law tends to just bring the extra pies. I do not have my car right now so I am not sure when or if I will go to the store again. I let my daughter have it as we are working to get hers fixed. It wouldn't start and she just had a new battery put in. My son thinks it is the security model which is know to go out on some of the Jeep Patriots. Probably set off when they got the new battery installed and there was no power for a bit. She was upset because she missed the time frame to pickup her groceries from Amazon that she had ordered online. I feel sorry for her. She has to have a car to get her and the children around and in a week she will be back to work and taking the children to school.

Valerie, nice that you were able to get a ride in. It was 28 when we left for church this morning. It didn't really seem icy, but my husband mentioned that bridges can be bad and there was a truck that had slid off the interstate and a police unit slid off the side that came to help. I guess there was some patches.

Deb, I hope Ike will do okay in the wire crate. I remember my daughter having a dog that did that and they had to give her something before they went on rides. I don't know what they used. I think she outgrew the problem later.

I made the Beef Fajita Soup from Whole 30 slow cooker and used the slow cooker setting on my Instant Pot. I would like to get the glass lid for it when I use it as a slow cooker. I found out there was 3 heat settings for the slow cooker setting, you just have to push the slow cooker button from the first setting to Normal or more. The basic setting is more like keeping the food warm.

Good morning,

PT exercises only yesterday.

Diane Sue, I could not do Thanksgiving without my lists! LOL. I have a day-by-day list, so that all are done in time. EG when to take out the small turkey, when to take out the big turkey....etc. I picked up the Whole 30 Slow Cooker book from the library Saturday. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

Have a great day!

Good morning ladies!

It is beautiful here in Navarre!! Saturday was a travel day so no workout. Yesterday morning I went for a walk with my mother-in-law and her friend. They do this every morning then have a 20 min stretch afterwards. I passed on the stretch so I could do another workout. I did the first 30 mins of Live Warrior Kickboxing and then a 20 min fire loop compilation I made up and keep saved in my Itunes to use for traveling. Warrior Kickboxing is my favorite. Today I plan to do raw Tubing Works and SB Feel Good Cardio and Arms. A few years back, I would have to plan a week of workouts ahead of time and bring them with me. I love have the streaming sites that I do. I can pick and choose what I feel! :)

Deb...is there something you can give Ike to help with the motion sickness? I take a prescription for my motion sickness an hour before I fly. Helps tremendously. Years ago a Collie of ours would get sick all the time in the car. We did not travel to shows like you do so he was not in the car very often.

Diane Sue...good to know about the heat settings. I have on my amazon wish list the glass cover. I will get it at some point.

Valerie...nice ride....it snowed Thursday morning in New England. Day before it was in the 20’s. We are enjoying the warmth here this week.

I need to read and catch up on posts from the older thread.

Have a great day all.

Hi to Carolyn and Judy!

This morning I did Coffey Fit Raw Intervals #4 using 15# dbs, 43 minutes 285 calories, met 6.0, heart rate average 131, 162 max, 2,761 steps. I have two of my younger grandchildren here today so will come bck later.

This morning I did a timesaver from Afterburn, intervals 1-5. My time was 35 minutes and 199 calories burned. My average heart rate was 122 and maximum heart rate was 149. After that I did JS Total Stretch for an additional 18 minutes and 30 calories.

Deb, yes I am a list maker! I have daily to do lists and I will make a time schedule for Thanksgiving Day. I want to be sure dinner is ready on time and that I don’t forget anything. It’s more of a mental schedule at this point, but I do write notes and times.

Lori, glad you made it to your in-laws. I can see how streaming your workouts would be great for vacation. Sharing a morning walk sounds enjoyable.

Diane Sue, good job getting Coffeyfit Raw Intervals done with your grandchildren around.

Hello to Judy and Valerie.

we did a hike this morning. it was lovely out but hiking conditions were tough. there was an air inversion so it started out cold and got a lot warmer as we went up opposite from normal. no snow to start and then a mixture of patchy crusty snow, ice, water and mud. a little of everything. the top was a couple feet of breakable crust, nasty snow so we got up there and sat. no way to walk around on that crud. looked for mt goats and saw one. saw a herd of elk on our drive to the trail. it was very messy coming down. I fell twice into soupy sloppy mud. very treacherous footing but mainly a laundry problem. about 3 hours hiking.

Those of you who use protein powders... make sure you read cathes newsletter this week. this connects to the consumer reports study that was so disturbing. it sounds like you can access a list that will identify which types and brands of powders are least contaminated.

Last edited:
Deb, I have my note pads and I keep an agenda book that has plenty of lines for each day and a monthly calendar with a to do list at the side. Even with the dinner lists I have been known to forget to make something, or make it and forget to pull it out and cook it. I have to have the step by step list. When I end up with a house full of people and children asking for things, my mind goes into overload.

Lori, the streaming would definitely be nice when travelling. I used to take dvds with me in hopes of someplace having a dvd player. The Tubing Works workout would be great for travel. I have purchased a spring form pan that fits inside my Instant Pot and an extra set of the seal for around the top since heavy food smells seem to absorb and I wanted a different seal in another color just for when I make things like cheesecake or yogurt in the pot. O leave the seal out after cleaning to air out for awhile before I reinsert it. I have put it in the top rack dishwasher as well, but generally soak it in hot soapy water. I will get the glass lid soon. Maybe after I get through Christmas shopping.

Carolyn, I was eyeing Afterburn and Cardio Supersets Saturday when I was being indecisive on my workout. It was one of those days of not being able to make up my mind and I needed to get done to go out with my husband to the tire place and lunch.

Valerie, that is great that the weather was decent for your hike. I am sure that you enjoyed it even after falling in the mud :) I have read the consumer reports and several others on the protein powders. I will only buy ones I pretty much trust right now. Vegan ones had some of the worst reports. I do not care for them myself. Additives can be a problem too. It takes a lot to get places to say where they actually source their product from. It can say US and only be packaged here. It needs to be a place that does testing before it is put out. Unfortunately those that are better products also are costly.

I went and looked up the Clean Label Projects reports. Then I did more searching and there are several other sources like NSF Public Health and Safety Organization and these are at Odds with the methods of the Clean Label Projects reporting and science. A www food news 2018 report called their reports lacking in science, methods are done without letting other scientists see the actual readings. Anyway, I use a lot of the ones that are at the 5 stars of the report. Surprised and a bit unbelieving about Vital Proteins. My main usage is the Collagen powders as they definitely help my joints. The only Ancient nutrition I saw in their ratings was Bone Broth vanilla protein. This is another I have a hard time seeing as bad. I think it was mid range. Anyway I want more proof. If this is really true, then most of our plant based diet is probably tainted. Maybe they should quit putting any of our food in plastic containers ??

Good morning,

PT exercises yesterday. I have seen an improvement in the paid since last Wednesday, adding in the new exercise. :). My Live subscription expired on the 17th. I was going to renew right away, but thought since I have not used it for a while, I would wait until I can make use of it, rather than have the time go by with no use. I always have plenty of DVD's to use for now.

Lori, that sounds so nice that you are able to get your workouts in, and nice walks as well. What is the weather like there now? I am not sure where Navarre is. I can ask the vet about something, if he really is getting motion sickness. I put an open crate in the car and spent an hour in there with him just in the drive way. I sat next to him and let him go in and out, play with new toys in there and gave him treats. In between, we went outside and walked around in front of the house. Then later I took him around the block. He was wimpering, wanted out etc. This may be a long process. The problem I have is that I have to take him to class this afternoon...he will have to be in there for about a 5 mile drive.

Carolyn, you sound just like me! A list for each day leading up to and including Thursday. I have made daily/weekly lists forever. I think it goes back to working, I always had a list along with my calendar every day to go by.

Valerie, that hike sounds nice. Good thing you did not get any injuries in those falls! Thanks for the heads up on the protein powder.

Diane Sue, same here on the mind going into overload. One year I forgot to put out the cranberries, and no one said anything. Makes me wonder why we get them each year...LOL. I also saw that one or so of the Ancient Nutrition bone broth powders were on that list, and had a "so so" rating.. It's hard to know what to believe anymore.

Hi to Judy,

Take care,

Deb, yes, it is hard to know what to believe. I hope things go well for you on the way to class this afternoon.

Good morning ladies,

I discovered not only does my inlaws have 1, 3 and 5lb dumbbells they have one 15lb one plus ankle weights! I am so happy! Lol! My husband cracks up this would thrill me. Between these and my bands I can do some nice traveling workouts. Yesterday instead of the raw tubing I did raw Bands and Barre. When it came time to do pile squats and lunges I held the 15lb for extra intensity. At the end of the workout I finished with one arm rows holding the 15 and 5lb then curtsy lunges using the 15. Was a great workout. I then did SB Feel good cardio arms.

Today I am doing Raw Boxing and Tubing. We are borrowing my husbands sisters truck and bikes and will be riding the path at Navarre Beach. We did this last year and loved it. I have a picture I will post from last year so you can see the white sand. The path is a few miles and very enjoyable.

Valerie...that does sound like a tough hike. You two are amazing.thanks for the info on protein shakes. I have not read her newsletter yet but will do so next. Thanks.

Diane Sue...I tend to not use protein shakes, but my son does. Thanks for some of your research. I am going to start looking too. That is great most of yours fall in the 5 star rating. I bet you were releaived to read this. I have not purchased a second seal but will when I get home. Makes sense to use a couple de-ending on your meal or dessert. I was looking at a rib recipe this morning and my husband and I are all about this! I have a springform pan too I bought but have not used it. I plan to start cooking whole chickens in it and use as lunch meat or chicken salads.

Deb... it has been hi 60’s low 70’s. Navarre is about 45 mins from Pensicola and we are on Central Time. It really messes with us coming from New England on Eastern Time. We just changed the clocks, got used to it for a couple of weeks, now a week of Central Time, then back to Eastern. I always feel so tired when we come back. I tried to stay with the Eastern Time while here but it is hard. Oh poor Ike. Thinking you are doing well with trying to get him comfortable with car rides. Fingers crossed he did well.

Carolyn...same here! I would be worthless without my lists!!!!

Have a great day all!!! Hi to Judy!!!

Attachments

• 8105F13D-E539-4471-B1B5-40E7EF2C6BFB.jpeg
    8105F13D-E539-4471-B1B5-40E7EF2C6BFB.jpeg
    198.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 1613ABD5-BBE3-4F6A-A4E6-F1D6C5AD6CBC.jpeg
    1613ABD5-BBE3-4F6A-A4E6-F1D6C5AD6CBC.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 9
Hi Everyone,

Chris had his endoscopy this morning and the doctor didn't see anything alarming. We still have to wait for pathology results.

Deb-I did the same thing with my Live subscription. It expired on the 10th and I decided to wait awhile to renew.

Lori-That's awesome that your inlaws have weights that you can use. Great photo! I love the white sand!

Valerie & Diane Sue- I use protein powders regularly. I looked up the Clean Labels Project site and was disappointed to see that the 2 brands I use the most didn't not get good ratings. I am going to have to rethink my protein sources. Thanks for the information!

Carolyn-I am a list maker too. I make to do lists all the time. Nice job with Afterburn and the JS stretch.

Judy

I don't use protein powder or collagen. supplements are a somewhat unregulated area. I used protein shake in the morning ( long ago) but found without chewing, it was as if I didn't eat anything, so I jettisoned that idea pretty quickly.
I read the CR report on arsenic in rice in the CR magazine. heavy metals are very hard, sometimes impossible for our bodies to 'clear". I try to avoid BPA but used plastic water bottles for decades. BPA is still used to line inside of cans of beans, tomato products and probably other things. I still use them but have subbed the harder plastic . glass is not practical, and metal makes water taste funny.

at the time of first report a few years ago, CR's emphasis was on rice/rice products in children's diet, and how quickly they could be getting WAY too much arsenic if (for whatever reason) their parents are subbing rice products for dairy and wheat. they were addressing the GF craze and pointing out that there were (and are) unnecessary health risks to avoiding wheat products for people who don't really NEED to go GF, and especially for their young children, especially if they were subbing mainly rice products. I have a close friend whose daughter is doing this for no reason. Anyway, sometimes I don't read all the topics in cathes newsletter, but I thought this was important especially if they give product comparisons and help you make better choices . also a wake up call to companies that they need to police ingredient sources more aggressively.

Lori that looks lovely there. gorgeous white sand. you are lucky! I have been to Florida quite a few times and for work related meetings and reliably got rain, hot, humid. the first time I went there it was lovely. nice you can have gear to do workouts available to you.

This morning I did Coffey Fit Raw Step 2, 41 minutes, 271 calories, heart rate average 139, max 170, met 6.0, 3,721 steps. I then did Kelly Coffey Step Boxing 2 workout 2 mix no drills, 23 minutes, heart rate average 135, max 164, met 5.9, 150 calories, 2,128 steps. I finished off with Barre Amped Ball Stretch with added figure 4 using the ball and some torso stretches, 8 minutes, 18 calories. Total time 83 minutes, 475 calories.

Lori, love the picture. A ride along the white sands would be nice. That is great that their are weights for you to use. I remember feeling the same way when I stayed with grandchildren at my daughter's house before and there was an elliptical and some 30# dumbbells there. A lot of people just don't get the joy of fitness equipment ;) Nice work with bands and barre using the 15# dumbbell. I have repeatedly made some beef spare ribs in the instant Pot. I sprinkle them with a mesquite seasoning and some liquid smoke, brown them really good with the saute setting, take them out and set the rack in add some water or beef broth to the bottom, then set the ribs on the rack and put some bbq sauce on them, and cook them 25 minutes on the pressure setting and let them natural release. i spread a bit more sauce on top sometimes and serve them. Great with some garlic roasted new potatoes :) I just looked at different recipes for ribs and then put ideas together myself since there were so many variations. The Whole 30 Slow Cooker book has a whole section of roasts and ribs recipes in it. Walmart Market is so much nicer than walking all over one of the big stores with tons of people and bad parking.

Valerie, I put the collagen powder in my coffee in the mornings. I don't feel satisfied either with just a protein shake. Often, mine is mixed into some yogurt with some nuts and fruit or something like that. Sometimes it is mixed into some melted almond butter with some coconut and dried cranberries or something more edible. Those can be made into balls and stuck in the refrigerator. The only time I appreciate a smoothie is when it is summer time and I have one right after a long sweaty workout. Then I still eat a lunch of soup or salad. I did make a list of some of the brands that were better just in case. I saw Julian Bakery's vanilla was there. I tried it recently and it was way too sweet. I kept trying to dilute it down to not taste the sweetness. I liked that it had probiotics in it. I think arsenic is worst in brown rice. I used to buy it all of the time as it was supposed to be so healthy and then went back to white. Although I think it helps if people read the labels and go back to rinsing their rice before cooking it. I put mine in a mesh strainer and run water through it before cooking. WE drink loads of bottled water and I keep thinking we need to find a better option. At one time I had a reverse osmosis water bottle that I wanted to get on Amazon for around 40 dollars and when I went back and looked later it was not there. I use filtered water from the refrigerator for coffee and cooking. Glass would not be a good option for carrying out when doing sports activities. Actually I have saved glass Kombucha Tea bottles just in case I were to go back to making Kombucha tea again. I suppose around the house those could be used for water. Our water smells strongly of chlorine.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.