Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 11/12

Today I did 3 segments of one of the JumpSport Bounce dvds for 21 minutes and 110 calories. Average heart rate was 110 and maximum heart rate 134. After that I did a SB Total Body Barre workout from her website for 46 minutes. That was 86 calories.

That Firm video clip was definitely a step back in time. The terrible 80’s workout clothing was unbelievable. I remember wearing leotards and tights with slouchy socks. The men look ridiculous in those short and somewhat fitted shorts. I think the same thing when I see old clips of basketball teams. Some things have changed for the better.

Hello to everyone and have a great day.

We went for our motorcycle ride and then lunch at the Garage restaurant, I got an avocado melt sandwich. It was pretty good. Grilled swiss cheese with avocado, tomato, and romaine lettuce.

Valerie, I can understand the leg warmers for outdoor wear when it is extra cold. For workouts, not so much. I never had a pair of leg warmers myself. Styles change and there is always something a bit silly. I find it silly when I see women that wear fitness clothing as their normal apparel to go everywhere in. Particularly the leggings, spanx shorts, and sports bras.
We used to put those foam covers over our water hydrants. Most of them now have a special extension that keeps the water from freezing inside the wall and bursting the pipes. We had all new water faucets put on our three outside hydrants and purchased better quality. We always have our faucets dripping when the temps get well below freezing.

Deb, I am so sorry that your friend is having other health problems. I will keep her in my prayers. I am sure it breaks your heart seeing her go through this. I think leaving the hose on and it froze up through the faucet and pipe inside the wall where it broke. I don't blame you for not wanting to take a chance giving your dogs those dog treats. That is great that Amazon gave you a refund. I find if I return to UPS and ask for a receipt, it is just a matter of maybe an hour at the most and the money is back in my bank account. If I don't get a receipt it takes longer. Our first house had a drain pipe above ground that curved up into the wall for the washing machine. It seemed several winters, I would forget that it would freeze and water would end up all over the laundry room. I started out putting a box with a drop light by the pipe to keep it warm when the weather was freezing. That worked unless we had high winds. Later I wrapped it with thick insulated foam tape. That took care of it. I also found if it was freezing outside, to make the first load hot water. I guess I should start counting guests. My granddaughter 18, invited her boyfriend. I think that brings us to 17. I am not sure if my granddaughter 21 that is engaged will bring her fiance. I think his family will want him there. He comes to a lot of our family brunches. Then my daughter has her in laws staying at their house right now and I am not sure what they are doing. It could be quite a few people.

Judy, Jessica Smith had her mother in the workout that I got from the library.

Carolyn, you are getting some good use from your Jump Sport. :) Some things are changes for the better. There is always something that does not look good. Then again, things can look good on some people that do not look good on

Good evening ladies,

This morning I did a couple of Lekfit bounces. She has a few short ones on her site that are all bounce no sculpt. After yesterday’s Bounce and sculpt I needed to keep it simple. Was a great workout and will do the same sequence again. Time was 40 mins. This was my only workout. I was suppose to do FT BootCamp but was not feeling it. Will do it tomorrow.

Deb...I am so sorry about your friend. Keeping her in my prayers. When I bought the Susan Harris workout on dvd I did noticed the name changed. Well it was more like I did not remember that was the name. Now that you say it changed it makes sense.

Valerie...Metabolic workouts can be tough especially if it has been a while since you have done one. I find most of Cathe Live workouts are metabolic. I think that is why I am enjoying the other sites I stream. Gives me a completely different workout. I previewed todays live and it does look great. It is Hiit with compound moves. This I will love!

Carolyn...you seem to be moving along with the jumpsport. Are you loving it? As you know, I am completely addicted. We leave Saturday for Florida and will be gone for a week. I will be missing my rebounder! Tomorrow I need to plan my workouts for the week.

Diane Sue...that sandwich sounds delicious! It poured really hard today. Nasty day. Great workouts today! I never wore legwarmers...but guilty with thong leotards!!! I actually had a pair of the thong bottoms that were worn on the outside. What the heck were we thinking? It is like wearing thong underwear on the outside instead of under leggings! Hilarious!

Judy...I have seen a bunch of Jessica’s YouTube workouts and agree her mom is not in any that I know of. Did you get an email with a download when you ordered her new system. I saw a couple of people mentioned they did over on VF. I did not. Let me lnow if you did and what is in it!

Well going to start to organize what I need to bring to florida. I am so organized at work, but not at all, when it comes to my travels!

I didn't see the clip at first, it showed up as a blank spot on my phone. I just watched part of it!. OMG hilarious! those outfits are a scream. so choreographed. everyone is "made up" looking, fussy hair and loads of makeup. No, I never did anything like that, and I never wore anything like that. no thong anything in my house, or leg warmers. crazy and goofy looking!! back then I mainly ran and hiked.

I am finding no one quibbles about returns. they refund the money or replace the product. quickly.

I did a 40 min spin, HR abs, and 60 knee push ups. we are going to try to xc ski tomorrow so I don't want to be tired to begin with. this was enough.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday. I spent some time at the hospital, then went to a meeting to go over and sign up for 2018 health care. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

Have a nice weekend.

Today I did X Train Supercuts. It was hard going back to a metabolic workout! My workout time was 46 minutes with 214 calories burned. Average heart rate was 111 and maximum heart rate 144.

I ran errands this morning and did some food shopping. I wanted to prepare a couple of side dishes and put them in the freezer but now I am tired. That will wait until tomorrow. My guest list has increased by two. My nephew has to work and is not going on the family trip, so he is coming here with his roommate. It makes a difference since I was planning for four of us. Young men have huge appetites.

Deb, I’m thinking of you and your friend. Does she have family around?

Lori, metabolic workouts are definitely hard for me when I haven’t done them for awhile. I think it’s good for me to add them back to my routine as we head into the holidays. I like a variety of workout styles. It can be hard to organize for a trip. I hate to get started but I’m fine once I do. Of course you need to plan more for plane travel. We are always throwing a few more things in when we travel by car.

Hello to Valerie, Judy, and Diane Sue.

we xc skied this morning. not as long as usual, but it was snowing heavily and getting into the mid 30's so snow was getting gloppy. it sticks to your skis like concrete boots. so 2 hrs 20 min. there is a lot of snow already this year, most of the downhill areas have opened already. we were skiing at a lower elevation, but still quite a bit of snow for mid November.
Carolyn I found the metabolic workout difficult. It has been probably 6 weeks at least since I did one, maybe more. elliptical or spinning is challenging but in a different way. I slowed the pace, went lighter on weights. I plan on repeating ICE TBM several times before going to other workouts.

Deb, are you the main support person for your friend? or does she have family in the area?

I agree with Lori, diane sue, that sandwich sounds fantastic. I love avocado anything.

Today I did Kelly Coffey workout 1 and workout 2 of her Weights dvd followed by Athletic Conditioning vol 1 stretch first 16 minutes.
Workout 1 was 42 minutes including the separate warm up and writing things down. The last weight circuit was missing on the work sheet so it took me extra time. 185 calories, heart rate 97 average, 126 max. Workout 2 was 31 minutes, heart rate 109 average, 139 max, 137 calories. Stretch was 16 minutes and 25 calories. Total time 89 minutes, 348 calories.
Weights Workout #1 legs, back and chest each weight circuit done twice then a standing core recovery segment
circuit 1- 2 times
reverse fly 15# dbs 16 reps
lunges 17.5# dbs 8 reps right 8 reps left
push ups/ plank reach across 8 reps
waistline row the boat 2 minutes 8# db
circuit 2-2 times
bent over rows 20# dbs 16 reps
squat variations 20# dbs 4 squats 8 single leg 4 squats 8 single other side 4 squats
push ups 3/1 count 8 reps
waistline towel drop and reach 2 minutes
Circuit 3- 2 times
lawn mower(row twist) 16 reps left and 16 reps right 15# first set 20# 2nd set
dead lift single leg 20# dbs 8 reps (2nd set is deadlifts with a twist)
dive bomber push ups (nose, chest hips push up) 8 reps
waistline towel reach drop pick up 16 reps right 16 reps left

Weights workout # 2Biceps, triceps and shoulders each circuit done twice
Circuit #1 2 times
Hammer hesitation 4 reps 12# dbs
hammer squat hesitation 8 reps 12# dbs
triceps extensions 12# dbs 4 reps right 4 left 4 both arms dropped to 10# 2nd set
shoulders front side raise 12# dbs 4 right 4 left 4 both
waistline after 2nd circuit set side rotations with side knee up 2 minutes
Circuit # 2 2 times
biceps half curl and lift away 12# dbs 8 reps
overhead triceps extension back and front counts as 1 reps 8 each arm 12# db
lateral raise bent over 12# dbs 16 reps
core/waistline behind the neck side bend rotation crunch
Circuit #3 2 times
one arm biceps curl 15# db first time 20# 2nd 8 reps
one arm triceps kick back 15# db 8 each side reps
one arm shoulder press 8 reps each 1 up down 3 15# first set 20# 2nd
active core rest reach and drop 2 minutes 16 reps each side

Lori, sometimes I look at things like the thong leotards and wonder why we wear such uncomfortable things. I wore the high cut leotard. I don't recall ever wearing the thong leotard though :) I checked out the Lekfit on youtube last night. They look interesting.

Deb, I think it feels like a relief having the healthcare issue done for the year. Sending well wishes your friend's way.

Carolyn, I have had such a variety of cross training using Kelly's workouts. I have used almost every workout of hers that I have now. Metabolic workouts can be tough.

Valerie, I am sure it was fun getting out and doing the cross country skiing today. That sandwich was tasty I that I picked up some swiss cheese today. I forgot about some decent bread though. I generally keep one loaf of white bread for family that wants a sandwich when they are here. My husband and I do not eat much in the way of bread. I always have avocados on hand because I love them.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday. I visited the my friend who seemed a little better. She does have family, a very close one. She has a husband, 3 children ( adult) and 3 grandchildren. They are doing all they can to support her, but they are devastated at the same time. Her SIL is also in the middle of a cancer treatment for a brain tumor he had removed. He has had 2 surgeries, and is now on chemo.

Carolyn, good idea to do some side dishes in advance. It sounds like you will have to double some of your recipes. Yes, metabolic workouts are tough....I consider them both weights and cardio.

Valerie, yes, CC skiing is hard when the snow is gloppy...:) Yes those outfits were funny....like someone else said, I am sure we or someone else will be chuckling about what they are wearing in todays videos. Even Cathe's older ones look funny to me know..where she has the headband on...

Diane Sue, great job on getting through all those KCM's! Funny about avocados....I love guacamole but cannot get into eating plain avocados.

Lori, when do you leave for Florida?

Judy, will you be travelling for Thanksgiving?

Agility class today, then we have our season tickets to a play this afternoon...

Take care,

Deb-it's good that your friend has a close family. I can understand how devastating all of this is for them. So good of you to help her and them at this time.
We had been planning on going to Indiana for Thanksgiving but Chris is swamped at work and he needs to be here Wednesday and Friday for meetings, so we are staying home. It's just too far of a drive to do it all in one day. Our original plan was to drive out Wednesday and come back on Friday.

Deb it's good she has close family but they are probably unable to put their lives on hold to help out. good that you have time and are willing to share the support.
I absolutely love avocados. one of my favorite foods. (I limit quantity!) strangely, guacamole is my least favorite way to use them. I love them diced on a green salad with oranges and vinaigrette. on top of a tostado. in a salad of tomato, avocado and cucumber with vinaigrette. with a pomegranate seeds. or on a sandwich like diane sue mentioned. they are pretty caloric though, so I have 1/4 of one. if you leave the pit in the other half, wrap in plastic wrap, they keep nicely in the frig. otherwise I'd be tempted ..but wouldn't... eat it all at once.

I remember doing a Cathe workout when my millennial niece was visiting and she jumped on the hairstyles. I think it was gym style workout, and cathe has what looks like a fall added to her hair. it looks too fussy, elaborate for a workout. I'm more of a pony tail person myself to keep it out of the way. headbands never worked for me.

Judy those times are when half the country would be traveling too. a travel headache for sure. traffic has gotten so awful here that you would have to go in the middle of the night to avoid horrible jam ups. even grocery stores are a challenge since it's one of the few days most people cook.

we are going to mountain bike today as it looks like we will have a series of wet storms for the next week,. typical for this time of year. if it's dry, we have to take advantage of it. the snow that was gloppy will get worse, and the rain and warmer conditions make it unpleasant. glad we went yesterday.
ETA we rode 2 hours, for about 7 miles. it was very nice, uncrowded and trails in good shape. only saw 2 bikes briefly, and 4 women walking. otherwise had it to ourselves.

Last edited:
Good evening ladies,

Thought I posted this yesterday.... looks like I may have been distracted because I did not finish!!! We were on our connecting flight and was sitting for over an hour and they just had us depart. They are looking for another plane. Fingers crossed they find one!!!

From Friday.....I will finish when I hop back on!!

This morning I did a LekFit arm workout then a couple of SB Bounce targets. One of them is the quad one that gets my legs shaking like none of her other workouts. I love this quad focus workout. Tonight was FT Bootcamp. I have just the legs to do and I will be finished with this rotation.

I am all packed and ready for Florida. My husband wants to leave at 4:30am. Ugh. I am looking forward to our week with his parents and son.

Deb...you and your friend are in my thoughts and prayers.

Judy...thank you so much for sending the email to me. I checked my email, trash folder and deleted messages and nothing. It is very informative so again thank you. I will not get to this system until after I come back from Florida.

Diane Sue...omg I think the same thing...what was I thinking when I wore those outfits. Thank goodness it was always in the privacy of my home!!! Lol!

Carolyn...I have been so busy this will be the first time I do not have all my workouts planned out. My husband asked how I am going to be without bouncing for a week. He mentioned perhaps we should pick up a cheaper rebounder to keep there! He is so funny. Told him I will some how make due!! I packed my bands, loops and plan on picking up some weights at walmart while there. So I should be good. Lekfit is interesting for sure! And she is light weight and very fast paced. So far I am liking workouts.

Today I did the free Jessica Smith download walk abs, 16 minutes 88 calories, 1628 steps.
I then did Kelly Coffey Total Body Kickbox both worrkouts, 57 minutes, 365 calories, heart rate average, 130, max 177, 4,567 steps, I finished off with Suzanne Bowen Barre Amped lower body stretch, 19 kinutes, 32 calories. Total time, 92 minutes, 486 calories,

Deb, that is rough for your friends family. That is terrible that they are dealing with her sil too. Doesnt Cathe wear white lace leggings in one of her old workouts? I like avocados on sa
Ads, in my chili and paleo tortilla soup. They make a nice sandwich spread and added to a chocolate protein smoothie itvgives a nicer creamy texture.

I have to go take care of something. I will come back and finish responding.

This morning I did 4 of the 15 Minute Fixes from Jessica Smith's new series. I really liked them! From what I can tell so far, these are more challenging than some of her previous workouts. Since we aren't travelling next week, Chris decided we should get some more projects done around the condo. We went to Home Depot today and bought a new hot water heater. The one we have is over 20 years old and we wanted to replace it before something happens. It will be installed on Monday. We also needed to replace our microwave. That will be installed on Friday. We still have a lot more to do, but we are making progress.

Deb- I hope you enjoy the play this afternoon.

Lori-You're welcome! Hope you have a great time in Florida!

Valerie- You're right about the traffic-I would hate to be driving on Thursday. We're going to try to do all of our grocery shopping tomorrow and not have to go during the week.

Diane Sue & Carolyn-Great workouts!

My workout this morning was very low key. I did 20 minutes on the treadmill and followed that with yoga. I did a Chris Freytag power yoga flow for 22 minutes.

Judy, I haven’t opened my new Jessica Smith workouts yet, but I am looking forward to them. I think I will enjoy them.

Diane Sue, I always have avocado in my house also. I eat it in salads, on top of chili or soup but most often I eat 1/4 avocado on my toast when I have that for breakfast. I love avocado, but like Valerie, I watch the portion size.

Lori, I hope the rest of your flight is uneventful.

Deb, I’m glad that your friend has family close by. I am keeping her in my prayers.

Hi to Valerie.

It ended up being another surprise day of events. I have two grandchildren here this evening :)

Valerie, holidays are so hectic when trying to do a quick grocery run. I tried to get everything purchased before next week, I am hoping I don''t have to do a return to the store.

Flights can be distracting. I am sure even without the rebounder, you will find some good workouts to do without it. That's sweet that your husband thought you might like to have another rebounder :)

Judy, we need to replace our microwave. It is a hood microwave, convection combo. The fan stays running when we open the door. It has something to do with one of the door switches. Also the convection does not work. I think it is about 6 years ld from the papers that were left.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.