Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 11/12

This morning I did Kelly Coffey Kickboxing both combined, 55 minutes, 352 calories, average heart rate 140, max 176, 4,749 steps. I then did the bonus abs from this workout, I kept stopping and starting because it kept stopping and jumping while playing, I finally put it in my lap top and it played fine since wiping it did not help. This was 18 minutes with all of the starting over, 53 calories, 456 steps. I finished off with Tracey Long Stronger and Longer warm up hip mobility, thoracic mobility, and stretch, 16 minutes, 35 calories. Totl time was 89 minutes, 440 calories. I either have to go to Ulta and get hair color or pay the extra 5 dollars for shipping. I did not take my grandson to school this morning since his parents came in late last night and his oldest sister came for dinner and took him home. I need to get some house cleaning done. It has been a bit neglected.

Valerie, we are having some cloudy drizzle here. I think it is supposed to warm up though. This morning did not feel that cold when I opened the door to let the dog out. 50's could be somewhat tolerable if dressed warm enough. It takes our house awhile to warm up. I try not to get to used to using the furnace so we don't acclimate to needing that much heat. The cold months are still ahead. I am hoping for a mild winter again.

Today was Ultimate Yogi Gentle Yoga for 56 minutes. This was only 94 calories since it is a slow type practice that was a good total body stretch. I walked on the treadmill for 20 minutes before the yoga. This is my active recovery week and I am doing cardio, yoga, and barre.

All this talk of KCM workouts is making me want to buy another one of hers. I am trying to restrain myself! I didn’t preorder Build and Burn but it looks good. I will wait a while to see how the new workouts from Cathe and possibly Jessica work for me before deciding if I want something more.

Hello to everyone and have a great day.

Carolyn, those are nice choices for an active recovery week. Kelly Coffey has the a video preview of the new workouts now and I am anxious to get them. I am looking forward to Cathe's too. I love new workouts :D

I went to Ulta today and they only had a few boxes of Madison Reed blonde hair color. I ended up buying the blonde touch up kit and coming home and ordering the color.

Good evening ladies,

No workout this morning. I had an early morning meeting. Tonight I did FT Total Body then a 20min bellicon bounce. Total time was 70 mins. This is my last week of the FT Rotation. Went by quick!

Carolyn...you deserve a recovery week! I did not preorder Kelly’s new dvds. Figured between Cathe and Jessica’s new sets plus all the streaming I have - I should be good. :)

Diane Sue...I have the Firm Susan Harris dvd somewhere in my collection of dvd’s. I need to find it. I have the digital copy that I made of it a while ago and just previewed it. Too funny because it is similar to the workouts I am doing now...lighter weight and hi rep. I am going to plan to do this while in Florida next week. Will be fun. So sad about all your 8mm film. :(

Deb...lol! Yes her very sexy voice! she has a yellow bodysuit and white leg warmers. She looks fine even though we all wear leggings or shorts. Her class is hysterical the way they are dressed. Especially the men..their shorts are sooooo short!! Too funny! I lpve stringing workouts together. I usually have an idea of what I want to do the night before. I have my external hard drive connected to my TV with pretty much all my workouts ready to go. I also have a laptop that is just used for the streaming sites and is always connected to the TV too. Makes it real easy to jump around.

Valerie...Happy Bday to your husband! Wow crazy about that card!!!!

Have a great night all!

Carolyn how do you track weight workouts on WW? I did the warm up from total body metabolic, then the muscle meltdown chest, and then the ab workout. I used the weight cathe used but almost doubled the reps to 20 instead of 12. they were supersets. I decided to stay at 12 pounds, do more reps rather than go to 15 or 20lbs. (I'm experimenting with doing more reps, lighter weight) I did the pushups on a step like they did. It was 40 min altogether. How would you enter that in activity? I've called the WW people before but when I started talking about weight workouts they were clueless. Same thing for abs. “Ab crunches” is not a Cathe ab workout

Lori , oh my... a yellow body suit and white leg warmers.... does not bring up a sexy image for me! so funny how our perceptions change! I have to agree on the men with short shorts..... it looks so ridiculous now that they all wear knee length long loose shorts and have been for 10 years at least. just weird that your idea of what looks "acceptable" or 'looking good" is so changeable.

Last edited:
Good morning,

No workout yesterday. I had a nice "dog" day..(what else is new right?)....Kylee's class at noon, followed by a visit to the university for "student stress relief". :). I like doing this, it's fun. We didn't have anyone trying to relieve our stress when I was a student....LOL....

Valerie, we can't turn the heat off here in the winter....the pipes would freeze! LOL..:). I bet that guy was pretty thankful when you handed him his card. I am not sure about WW entering workouts, but on MFP to enter anything where you want to enter calories burned, you have to enter it as a cardio workout....For some reason they don't believe that you can get a good calorie burn from lifting weights...:(...

Diane Sue, here's to mild winters! We had such a mild one last year, they are saying we will be socked this year to pay for it. That was too bad about losing all the 8mm recordings.

Carolyn, do you have some KCM workouts? I previewed Build and Burn....and hoping the real workouts are better than the previews....

Lori, LOL...I meant "leg" warmers...why I called them ankle warmers...? shows how long it has been that I said those words. Let us know how doing that Susan Harris workout goes. I may blow the dust off of it and try it.

Busy day today....taking my friend for her treatment, class later followed by a club meeting...( ugh!)...

Take care,

Good Morning Everyone,

Yesterday I spent the morning cleaning then I did Yoga Max in the afternoon and went to the gym with Chris in the evening. I rode the recumbent bike while he did a shoulder workout. I was still sore from the KCM workout on Monday so I decided to take it easier yesterday. I think I will do a Spinerval this morning.

Deb-I'm hoping the Build and Burn set workouts are good too.. I don't remember anyone trying to relieve our stress when I was in college either :) I do remember lots of stress though!

Diane Sue-ironically, I received a DVD from Amazon yesterday that was obviously used. I had ordered and paid for a new one and this one was scratched, the case was worn and not in a wrapper, and the insert that was supposed to be in it was missing. I emailed Amazon and they responded within an hour and gave me a refund. That also happened with a book a couple of months ago. The book was listed as used but in very good condition. The book came with writing all over it and pages torn out, pictures cut out, etc. It was ridiculous. They gave me a refund and I threw the book in the garbage. Most of the time Amazon works the way it is supposed too, but recently it seems like the quality is declining. The good thing is that they always make it right.

Valerie- Great job with the ICE workout! I wish we could turn the heat off here but like Deb and Lori, it gets too cold for us to do that in Michigan. It was warm enough this year though that we didn't have to turn it on until well into October.

Lori-Nice workouts! I'll be ordering Jessica's new DVDs today. I went ahead and renewed my Cathe streaming for the year, using the 15% coupon. I realized that I was using it more than I thought. Even if I do mostly DVD workouts, I am always previewing workouts on my computer using the streaming and I do like having it when we travel. The workout blender is really nice too and I can do some of the Live workouts, like spinning.

Carolyn-I am planning on my active recovery week starting next week. I usually do yoga, stretching and some of the easier Jessica walks and some light indoor cycling.

Have a great day!

Judy

Reactions: WD
Deb ...WW translates your activity, time, intensity, low medium or high into 'points" with a goal each week. I don't pay a lot of attention to the total since I am always way over the goal. I am not sure how to quantitate metabolic or weight workouts. you can enter particular exercises, like push ups and ab crunches. maybe there are categories I've missed that would sum it up better. not sure how to record . I've been entering " weight work" but I don't know if I am over- crediting or under- crediting. I seldom have a calorie burn to work with. I may try their chat line again. just wondering what Carolyn does especially after STS.

Ha ha... I grew up in Wisconsin. I know sometimes you can't turn heat off. this is a milder climate. If I lived in a colder area, I would turn off the heat to our bedroom and turn it down for the rest of the house. frozen pipes are an expensive mistake. At our MT house we left the heat set at 55 for the winter. it is a very well insulated house and small. they do a good job with insulation there because of cold and wind. the temp stays remarkably stable. we can check the thermostat remotely. here in WA they do not routinely insulate things well. when it occasionally drops into the teens we have to scramble to be sure pipes are OK.

Judy that is discouraging about amazon. was a third party seller involved? I order used books for my sister all the time. condition of the books is variable, but sometimes she gets beat up ones but they usually are described that way. other times she gets "good" quality and they are pristine. you're right though, they fix problems efficiently.

Today I did Cardio Supersets for 43 minutes and 266 calories burned. Average heart rate was 123 and maximum heart rate 156.

I never turn the heat off, even though we usually have relatively mild weather. Once, many years ago, when we were living in San Antonio I turned the heat off and we left for Christmas vacation (we were young and inexperienced). Well that was one of the very rare times that an ice storm occurred that far to the south and our pipes froze and burst. It was terrible disaster and it taught me to keep the heat on. Now I set the thermostat on a low setting, but it stays on!

Valerie, I would log the workout as strength training and enter the duration and intensity. I rarely need to manually log my workouts because the WW app syncs with my Fitbit and enters the SmartPoints. Yoga is the only thing that I enter manually.

Deb, I do have KCM workouts. I have most of them except the most recent ones from the last 3 years. I use them for cardio more than strength training which is why I didn’t preorder. I feel that I need to use her workouts that I already own first.

Judy, I just completed my order for the new Jessica Smith program. I’m looking forward to them because her workouts are so different from Cathe, KCM, Michelle Dozois, and the others that I have. There are times when I need to take it down a notch but still want a good workout.

Hello to Lori and Diane Sue.

Valerie-it was a 3rd party seller on the book but the DVD was listed as "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com".

Carolyn-I ordered the new Jessica Smith series this morning too. I agree about needing to take it down a notch but still wanting a good workout. I feel like this program will be perfect for that.

Today I did Kelly Coffey Your Best Body. There is not a both workout option so I did workout 1 and then workout 2 with 1 warm up which is separate, 77 minutes(some brief stops) 382 calories, heart rate 103 average, 146 max, 1,571 steps. I then did the stretch from workout 2 and the separate yoga segment, 11 minutes, 27 calories. Total time was 88 minutes and calories burned 409.
workout 1
bent over row/reverse pec dec 8/8 res 5 sets 15# dbs
stiff legged dead lifts/russian squats 17.5# dbs 34 total reps
core squat twist

Reverse grip lateral raise/alternating front raise 8/8 reps 8# dbs 3 sets
single leg squats 17.5 dbs
core reach pull

1/2 curls / alternating hammer curl 15# dbs 8/8 reps 4 sets
pull throughs 20# db 14 and 16 reps
core plank and knee ins

triceps kickbacks /lift backs 10# dbs 8/8 reps 3 sets
side lunges 15# dbs 8/8 reps 16 and 22 reps
core

alternating chest cross/elbow squeeze pec dec 10# dbs 8/8 reps 4 sets
plie squats 20# db

Workout 2
v row/high pull 10# dbs 8/8 reps 4 sets
lunges 17.5# dbs
core

cheer press/ 90% lateral raise 8#dbs 8/8 reps 5 sets
single leg dead lifts 15# dbs
core twists 32 reps

alternating long curl/ side curls 12# dbs 8/8 reps 3 sets
squats 17.5 # dbs
core plank leg lift out

overhead triceps extensions/alternating kickbacks 10# dbs 8/8 reps 4 sets
curtsy lunge to lunge back then curtsy lunge alternating 12# dbs 8/8 reps
core arms extended twists

flys /bench press 12# dbs 8/8 reps 4
bridges 12# dumbbell single leg 8/8 reps 4 or 5 sets I lost count
superman

Family dinner today. I am making a simple spaghetti dinner. Next week I will be doing lots of cooking. It is nice out today. My husband and I plan on going out on the motorcycle tomorrow for awhile since the weather is nice right now.

Lori, you have a lot of stuff all set up with your tv. I bet it does make choosing your workout and getting started easy. LOL it looks so funny seeing the men in extra short shorts. I remember watching an older movie and laughing at the shorts. Styles are funny. I am sure we will laugh someday at what is worn now. What about the high cut and thong leotards with the tights ? Those look funny too. I thin regardless of what Susan Harris wore, she still looked great. They have tried to bring leg warmers back as a style, but not for workouts.

Deb, I am particularly liking the looks of Kelly's Upper body workout on the new set. I guess it would depend on what your likes are. I think that today's Your Best Body is better doing the upper body only premix. It said yoga stretch for the one mix and it was just the yoga. I thought that was a bit odd. I too wish that MFP would let me enter the calories for weights instead of having to use Cardiovascular. Although the Fit Bit generally gives very low weight calorie readings unless it is active enough to increase the heart rate. With Cathe's I go to the workout manager, check out the burn she has for her workouts and met value. I lower it by about 2 sometimes 3 on the met scale for myself and it seems to be close to what I get from Map My Fitness using the strength setting. I heard someone say this was going to be a hard winter and I am hoping not.

Judy, I try to purchase as many things as I can on Amazon with Amazon being the seller. You can't always do that. I check the other seller's ratings. But, there are times where I have been caught questioning an item. At least when it says ships and sold by Amazon they are great about returns and refunds. I buy used books and have been pleasantly surprised by how good some were and others a little worn. So far the ones worn, have usually had an honest write up saying good with worn cover or markings in them. I have purchased a couple of study books that were so old they are hard to find and the last one looked new when I took the paper cover off. To buy them in new condition it was considerably more money. I am feeling Kelly's Your Best Body this afternoon. Particularly after all of those sets of upper body work. Tomorrow will be cardio without weights.

Valerie, we learned about forgetting to remove the garden hose when we had a really icy cold winter. We ended up waking to a bedroom of soggy carpet. I have ours all undone ahead of time this year.

Carolyn, I have to turn the heat off when the weather changes and we need the air conditioning. Right now it is on heat, and I doubt we will be going back to air for a few months. I find that Fit Bit isn't too bad on weight work if it is in conjunction with cardio or non stop movement.

Good evening ladies,

Again no morning workout. Another early morning meeting. Tonight I did a Lekfit bounce from today’s class and it was great. Her style is very dancy and I am enjoying she does not bounce for the entire 50 minutes. Wasn’t sure how I would feel about this but I am pleasantly surprised. She alternates strengh with bounce. Total bouncing time is probably about 20 mins. The rest is her sculpting which is hard! My legs will feel this workout tomorrow.

Deb...I did chuckle when I read ankle warmers! I knew what you meant. When you watch the video below they are pretty much on her ankles. I am looking forward to do this workout. It will be fun. Not sure what Bob’s son will think of it!!! Lol!! Fortunately, he arrives on Tuesday so I will plan this on Sunday. :)

Valerie...Here is a clip I found on YouTube of the workout.

Judy...my husband has a recumbent bike and enjoys it but for some reason I just do not care for it. He has been using my spin bike the past couple of weekends and seems to be liking it more too. I order Jessica’s set this morning too and I am looking forward to it. Need to really plan how I am going to fit all these new workouts and streaming in! Imhave received a few tings now that were used from amazon and not from a 3rd party. Most recent was a Brita water filter dispenser that your keep in your fridge. Clearly was used and it grossed me out. Yuck! They have always been great about returns. When I had Cathe’s On Demand I liked to preview workouts too. I also enjoyed the shared workouts too. Some were fun.

Carolyn...omg what a lesson to be learned!!! In the winter the heat is never off. I do turn it off in the summer months. But that is it. I really have learned to appreciate Jessica’s workouts. I like her personality and that her mom is in her workouts. :)

Diane Sue...I love that I have gone all digital. We do not have a dvd player anywhere in the house and we not miss it at all. Makes things simple for me. Every workout is at my fingertips. Plus I make a ton of custom workouts which I love! Thanks for the reminder abpitnthe garden hoses. I just reminded my husband we need to do this!

Tomorrow’s Live class sounds great.

Have a great night all!

Lori, I enjoyed watching that clip again. I sort of chuckled a bit at the attire, but would do it again if I had the workout. Funny thing is the attire now is a bit more conservative. Getting a used Brita water filter is just gross. I was going to order some HP ink cartridges for my husbands new printer from Amazon. I read reviews and there were some that said their ink cartridges were not full when they got them. They were supposed to be new HP ink. I usually buy YoYo ink for mine, but since his was new and he was printing up some forms for our church, I did not want something to go wrong and was going to just get the original cartridges. I went to Walmart and purchased them. I would be mad if I got half full ink cartridges.

OMG those outfits are a riot! what good were the poufy ankle socks supposed to do? I never got into that, nor the thong leotards. I'm sure what we wear now will get outdated and look ridiculous too, but clothing seems more functional and practical now.

I did Total Body Metabolic today and it was a bit of a struggle. I backed down on weight for most of it and kind of stumbled through it. Haven't done anything like that in a while. I will repeat this one a few times until it starts to feel comfortable before moving into others. Machine workouts like elliptical or spinning just do not work you the same way.
We drain and store our hoses and cover the hose bibs with foam covers, we insulated the pipes inside garage and inside the outer wall in the basement . Those spots are at risk of freezing regardless of whether heat is on or not. If we go away in winter, we set the heat at about 50 but leave it on. The risk is ..if there is a power out, the thermoset will reset to the default which is 70 when power comes back. That gets very expensive. We might invest in a remotely controlled one so we can control it when we are gone.

Last edited:
Good morning,

Yesterday I did Live Compound Giant Sets Light Weights. I forgot how tough this one is!

My friend is in ICU for observation....:(...she has fluid build up around her heart...had chest pains yesterday morning so she went to the ER thinking it may be a heart attack She cannot get a break..:(

Judy, yes, the new thing is all about stress....they provide aroma therapy, coloring books, jigsaw puzzles, and therapy dogs. :). Lucky...all my Amazon purchases have been ok....I have not purchased from an individual seller yet. Amazon is great about returns. I recently bought 2 large bags of dog treats, and after ordering, I read that the company was found to have large levels of lead in their dog food. I decided to be on the safe side and not give them to the dogs, so I processed a return on Amazon. They refunded my money and told me not to return the items. I guess they do not take back any food stuff...since they cannot resell it.

Valerie, it's good that WW has a chat line available for questions. I wish MFP would do that. It takes days for them to respond and its by email. Do you have a generator hooked up in the new house....in case of a power outage while you are gone?

Carolyn, we can't turn off the heat either. Once we forgot to drain an outside hose, and it burst...it was in the garage, so the damage was minimal. We have a half bath that buts up against our garage, the pipes are in the garage side wall and we have to have those pipe heater things wrapped around them or they would freeze. We just have to remember to turn then on in November and off again in April. :).

Diane Sue, I hear you on cooking next week. How many will you have for Thanksgiving? We are smaller this year, only 17. I guess I should go back and look at those KCM clips again. Maybe I was in a funky mood when I viewed them before. How did the garden hose affect your bedroom carpet when it froze?

Lori, thanks for the video link! Wow....I remember now that they changed the name of the workout at one point...It used to be The Firm Volume 1. I didn;t realize that Jessica had her Mom in some of her workouts....I always like Peanut though. That is great that Bob enjoys the bikes...I wish John would get back to using his exercise bike. I don't ever turn off the furnace. I just leave the settings as is, and when it needs to go on it does. :). Today's Live class does look like a good one.

Take care,

Deb-I'm sorry about all that your friend is going through :( I'm keeping her in my thoughts and prayers.

Deb-Jessica Smith's Mom is in most of her newer DVD workouts. I don't know if she is in the YouTube workouts. She usually modifies moves, or if they are working with equipment she shows modifications for no equipment.

Deb pipes in our garage also run thru an uninsulated wall. it was a building error not to insulate them. the builder did some things on the cheap. it is the outside wall of the unheated garage with a hose bib outside. when we first moved in we realized it would be trouble so we wrapped the pipes with foam insulation. some years it never freezes hard at all, but other years we can get a spell of unusually cold weather. 15 degrees is pretty cold for here, and if we get several days of that, we open cabinet doors around the pipes to let warmer air in and make sure we run water to keep it moving. one of the last years I lived in Wisconsin, there was a spell of minus 20 to minus 30 weather. That was awful! If it is a routine happening, people adjust to accommodate it, but if it's an unusual event, many are caught unaware.

we never bought a generator. they are loud and expensive. we can move into our camper if things get uncomfortable since it runs on propane. . most of the time power outs are not more than half a day. they used to be longer. that is the only benefit of the tribal casino being close by. power outs get fixed quicker.

that is sad about your friend. she has been very unlucky so far. so kind of you to stick with her and help her with appointments.

the chat line for WW works well. you get answers quickly. exercise info is not as good. too bad John didn't like the bike. bikes are the (IMO) easiest thing to use because you can watch TV easily. I've seen people reading on them.

I got sore in some odd places from yesterday. I think it's mostly the sideways leaning moves. that motion does not happen with an elliptical, treadmill, or bike. a good reason to do cathe workouts.

I never bought a Fitbit ( or other device) because they don't record riding very well. a big % of my workouts are on wheels. even the spin bike computer doesn't work well. I am halfway thru the workout before it starts to register anything even if I pre-wet the chest strap. it eventually shows heart rate and calorie burn . usually doesn't start recording until I am half way thru.

Today was cardio so I did Kelly's Body Design mix of cardio bootcamp and weighted kickbox, 30 minutes, 197 calories, heart rate average 136, max 172, 2,904 steps. I then did Kelly's Cardio Blast step workout, 36 minutes, 258 calories, heart rate average 137, max 159, 3,280 steps. I finished off with the abs from Kelly's weights workout, 13 minutes, 43 calories. Total time today was 79 minutes, 498 calories. total steps this morning so far is 7014.
I will come back and read and respond to posts. I need to get ready to go out with my husband for a motorcycle ride and maybe helping with some rearranging in the garage for a cabinet we are going to put in there.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.