Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 11/11

Hi again,

We had a good time at the party last night, but left kind of early due not wanting to leave Ike too long.

Valerie, awful about your mailbox again! With all the land/area around your houses, it is very surprising that those kinds of things happen there. But then again, they know that there are no close neighbors that could witness that stuff so they probably feel that they will not be identified. Glad you were able to salvage the majority of it. That app sounds great for scoping out the points of things before you buy them.

Judy, good that he is getting the test done.

Carolyn, those JS cardio workouts sound perfect for a day that you don't want an all out blast cardio.

Diane Sue, I hope your grandson feels better today. How is the roof repair? Is it completed?

Hi to Lori,

Take care,

Deb we were able to salvage the mailbox so all is good. we think kid who probably lives here and gets into vandalism mode after a few beers. Sometimes in the past someone went through knocked down dozens of boxes on a “fun” night. Our box is in the dark between two street lights. maybe the sturdy post is a fun challenge for drunk punks who drive a big truck. It is a relief in some ways that it was not professional mail thieves since all the mail was still in the box. we must have had a unusual late delivery that day since we checked the box after shopping at 4pm and it was empty. usually mail is here 10-11.

Scanner is very convenient, like carolyn said, for shopping. If I had checked this product at the store I wouldn’t have bought it. when I first used it a couple years ago, data base didn't have enough products, and I got tired of scanning things that were not in it.

all of a sudden it seems like everyone has a headcold. be vigilant.

Last edited:
Today is my rest day. I stayed home from church this morning. I just was coughing too much . Hopefully it is all better tomorrow. When I mix up a concoction of lime juice, honey, grated ginger, cinnamon, tumeric, cayenne pepper and about a cup of water and sip it through the day it seems to clear up congestion and improve the cold symptoms. I let up for a couple of days and it started coming back. I used my last lime today. I guess I an use lemon. Chris Kressor mentioned something like this on his website. I just added a bit to it with Tumeric and cinnamon.

Deb, as far as I know the roof is done, unless it leaks when we have some real rain. We had drizzle a couple of days ago and there was no leaking. Tomorrow will probably be the test to see if it is truly fixed. We are expecting rain and slushy snow tonight and through part of the day tomorrow. I wouldn't have wanted to leave Ike too long either. Even now if we are going to be gone for an extended time, I try to get my grandson that lives close by to come and let Gertie out and spend a bit of time with her. It is a relief having someone to do that. Of course, she does not really need out near as much as an adult dog.

Being able to scan things for WW does seem nice. I use bar code scanners with my ibotta app to see if products match the rebates when I am out shopping.

Valerie, does that app bring up all of the nutrition info on a product. Half the time when I am in the store trying to read the labels, the print is so small or the labels shiny and I just cannot read them well. Sometimes I think they do not want you to see the small print. That is good they didn't take your mail. That would be extremely upsetting. I think that I may have mentioned it before. We lived in a cul de sac and even the trash truck would hit our mailbox. Finally my husband built a wood box around the post and poured cement all the way up. It held up for years after that. If someone deliberately tried to bash it with their vehicle, they would do damage to their vehicle as well. My husband lives there now and has since taken that down. I am sure getting rid of it was not easy :)

Good afternoon ladies,

Yesterday morning Cheslie came over and we did a great fun San Fran Bounce. She used 1lb hand weights and I used 2lbs and my usual ankle weights. It was a great 35 minute workout that felt like more of a total body then just a bounce. We then free style bounced for 10 mins to give us a 45 min workout. She really wants to work on her arms and this was perfect for her. Working out yet not feeling like you are working out! She now wants to come here instead of me going there so we can do similar bounces. OMG!! Yes!! This works for me!! So happy she we will be coming here now!! :)

This morning I did the second half of Cathe’s new Live workout. It was quick and metabolic. I then did BBS Arms Back and Core dvd but skipped the core. Lol! This has some nice dance intervals. I follow Simone on Instagram and she is expecting and just starting to show. She looks adorable as she is so tiny.

Judy...great combination of Jessica’s workouts. We are supposed to have our first snow on Tuesday. I am not mentally ready for it. We winterized our stone patio today and glad that is over with. We usually winterize our screened in patio too, but going to see how long we can use it now that we have the fire place in it.

Valerie....that stinks about your mailbox. Can’t stand thugs like that. Glad you were able to salvage it.

Carolyn...I love her fat blasters too. Great little workouts. I used to love shopping now I am the biggest online shopper. I am almost done xmas shopping. I have never been this early. It just worked out this way. We decided to buy a Vitamix and we are very excited about it. (I think you mentioned you have one.) My husband is the one that researched and thought we should buy one. We decided to forgo our large xmas gift to ourselves and get this now and we are both very happy about our decision. We usually always buy a large item anyways so it made sense just to get it now. We still will do the little personal items we always buy for each other. I am always buying fresh ground peanut butter (which is so expensive) and have a hard time finding a healthy frozen dessert without spending a ton. I am very exited to make both of these now. It arrives tomorrow and today I purchased organic frozen berries and organic yogurt and plenty of roasted peanuts. Between this and our new instant pot there is no stopping us in the kitchen!!! Lol! :)

Diane Sue...I received the amazon toy cataolg too I smiled when I saw it. Reminded me of the Sears Wishbook that would come when I was young. We kids used to love looking through and circling all the toys we wanted Santa to bring. Is this the first year for this book from Amazon? Oh no!!! More pain after LW’s workout. Oh boy. Hope it has subsided. Magenta is a beautiful color and I bet your skirt is gorgeous.

Deb...Did you get to do the most recent Live? It is low impact but very intense. I wanted to do the BBS work out, which includes dance, so I skipped the cardio portion of the Live workout. The weight portion was great and I marked as a favorite. I liked it alot and will certainly do it again, especially if short on time or to tag on to another workout.

Off to watch a movie. Debating whether I should take tomorrow off, so I can play with our blender, when it arrives. :) My boss is in Italy so he will not mind if I send him an email that I am out!

Have a great night all!

Today is my rest day. We had a beautiful Veteran’s Day tribute at church that was a wonderful reminder about the sacrifices made for our country. My husband is retired military and we don’t see much acknowledgement for veterans these days.

Lori, I’m so excited for you getting a Vitamix. I’ve had mine about eight years and I love it. You can do so many things with it. My middle daughter bought one too. I bought a personal small one for my youngest when I was visiting her and she was making smoothies in her regular blender. The texture was terrible and the smoothie never came together. I couldn’t stand it! I made some almond butter with cocoa last week that was yummy. I have been buying it, but it’s so expensive that I decided to try making my own.

Diane Sue, I have made a similar concoction for colds and coughing using lemons. It seems to work well.

Valerie, that’s very frustrating to keep having to repair your mailbox. I hope you can get some idea of who’s doing it.

Hello to Deb and Judy.

Diane sue it gives you all the numbers. identifies name of product, serving size, point value. just below is nutritional info..... cal, fat, carb, fiber, sugar, protein . its fast, easy to get the bar code to read. older version you would have to get centered perfectly. there is a "track" button right there so you don't have to wander around to add something if you are eating it

My parents used to give us some combo of lemon juice, honey with some kind of alcohol like brandy or bourbon? not a lot obviously, but a teaspoon or two. I hated it! I don't know if it worked because it tasted so awful.

I wish we knew who it was too. seems like one group of kids grows up, and then their younger brothers take up the same activity.

Lori, that is great that Chelsea is really enjoying the workouts and wanting to come over and bounce and workout at your place :) I bet you will love the Vitamix. They seem to do a lot of different things. This was the first time I have received an Amazon Toy Catalog. It even has stickers to mark your favorite things :) I used to love the Sears Catalog at Christmas time. My children enjoyed those and then later the Spiegal's catalogue. I killed a lot of blenders making my own peanut butter when my children were young. I don't know if those tubs of nut butters at Sprouts are fresh or not. I have purchased the macadamia and cashew butter which are so yummy. I could just eat it out of the tub :p I used to go to GNC and watch it grind and come out of the machine.

Carolyn, that is wonderful that your church had a tribute to the veterans. Ours usually does something as well. I didn't go because of the coughing so missed out. I made a hazelnut butter with cocoa myself with my food processor. It was rather thick. I bet the Vita Mix is great for that.

Valerie, I will go back and get the link to that app. I think that I would find that quite useful. Yes, most barcodes are easy to scan now. I find they are picked up before I even get them in the frame.

I did Cardio Supersets again today just because it was on top of the pile and I enjoyed it yesterday. then core 1 from ICE.

I've always liked Adams peanut butter. not sure if its available outside the northwest. Its good enough that I never wanted to make my own. I like almond butter too.

I think you need to be a member of WW to access the app that includes the barcode reader. I expect a similar reader is probably around though. you are right , it seems like if you get even close to the bar code, it picks it up. it used to be a thrash getting it all lined up perfectly.

we got access to the video tapes our HOA takes of incoming and exiting vehicles. the pictures are not real clear, but it looks like a PUD bucket truck came in right when the mailbox incident happened. Our neighbor whose box was also knocked over worked for PUD so wondering if there's a connection. maybe it was all an accident and the driver just sneaked off instead of owning up to it. it was dark and raining at the time.

Good morning,

Yesterday I did the most recent Live workout, "Low Impact Blast Off Circuit, 41 minutes, 219 calories. Even though it was low impact, there were moves I knew I shouldn't do, like static lunges. Those really made my hip hurt. :(

Valerie, too bad someone doesn't witness that punk so he could be arrested. It's a shame that he needs that kind of thing to have fun. My Grandmother used to give us a tea, with a little whisky, honey, and lemon. As long as there was a lot of honey, we didn;t mind. What is PUD?

Diane Sue, that is an interesting concoction. I hope the roof repair is successful. I guess the test will be today or tomorrow. My cousin and I do the same thing you mentioned, if either of us have to be away from our houses for more than we are comfortable with, we go and let each others dogs out. I hear you on that small print on labels. I have to constantly put on my reading glasses while shopping! I always blamed it on my eyes getting bad, but it is the labels themselves.

Lori, that's great that Chelsea will be going to your house to work out. I did not get an Amazon toy catalog. :(. Yes, did the most recent Live. I liked it, except there were things I could/should not do.

Carolyn, I always thought about getting a Vitamax, but could not convince myself that I would use it enough to justify the expense.

Take care,

Deb , same here on Vitamix. expensive, I’m not a juice fan. thought I wouldn't use enough. I know they are versatile but never got enthused.
PUD is public utility district......sorry thought it was a common acronym. the local power company . A big white utility work truck with the elevator “bucket” to raise a person up to power lines , orange traffic cones and other equipment. a junction box is on the power lines there, tire tracks in the grass. they pulled in under the power lines and probably didn’t know they ran over two mail boxes. It was dark and raining at the time. Or they knew and didn’t bother to contact anyone. We will call and see ifPUD had a work crew that night. Truck was in and out in 20 minutes. Cable tv people use similar trucks. Will be nice to know and relief it was not local punks.

Totally right on produce labels! . White or gray print on shiny clear bags, never in the same place. finding date is hard enough. then reading. They try to make dates hard to see

It is Too bad you are still having hip pain. Is there any improvement? Are there other ideas about what else might help? Cortisone injection?

Last edited:
This morning I did To the Mat Legs and Glutes for 50 minutes and 136 calories burned. My average heart rate was 103 and maximum heart rate was 133. I have not done this workout many times because I didn’t like it initially—have I mentioned that I’m not a fan of mat work :)? This one feels different because none of the segments are too long. I like that Cathe uses the band, the loop, and the ball in addition to no equipment moves. After that I did WS3 One Mile of Motivation for 15 minutes an additional 15 minutes and 126 calories burned. My average heart rate was 137 and maximum heart rate was 153.

I haven’t received the Amazon toy catalog, but I have gotten many speciality toy catalogs based on my past Amazon purchases. I think my grandchildren have outgrown the catalogs that have been coming in.

Diane Sue, Valerie is right, the WW app is part of the program. You have to be a subscriber to use the eTools.

Deb, I’m glad that you were able to do a workout yesterday. Cathe moves quickly in the Live workouts, even those that are low impact. Did you modify the lunges or just did another move?

Hello to Valerie, Judy, and Lori.

Hi Everyone,

We went to the gastroenterologist this morning. Chris didn't get the endoscopy today after all. There was some kind of mix up in the scheduling and today was just an office visit. The endoscopy is scheduled for Dec. 10. He also had to make a cardiologist appt. for Dec. 3rd for a check up to make sure that none of the gerd symptoms are heart related. We are pretty sure they aren't but the gastro dr. wants to be certain.

Deb-Nice job with the Live workout! I'm sorry that your hip is still bothering you :(

Valerie-Great job with Cardio Supersets! That's one I need to look at again.

Diane Sue-I'm sorry you had more pain after LW's shoulder workout. For me, it seemed to loosen things up and my right shoulder felt a little better after doing it. Macadamia nut butter is so good! I haven't had it since I worked at the health food store. I remember it was really popular 9 or 10 years ago.

Carolyn-I felt the same way about To The Mat when I first did it. It took a while for it to grow on me. Nice job with the WS3 walk too!

Lori-That's exciting about the Vitamix! I bet you will love having it!

Judy

Good evening ladies,

I did take the day off and Chelsie had today off from school so she came over and we did the San Fran bounce again. She really likes it and I did not mind doing it again. Using the ankle weights and 2lb handweights really works my arms. Especially, the last arm segment. I will post the video so you can take a peek. The bounce moves are nothing intense but it gets your heart rate up. 35 mins and 305 cal. Not bad. This was my only workout.

Here is the link. Short but very effective.

Carolyn...I love my Vitamix! It we delivered early so I had some fun. I made 2 kinds of peanut butter - plain and honey roasted. Both were amazing. I also made our celery juice and the texture is so much smoother than the ninja. Then I finished my blender fun with some mixed berry frozen yogurt. I had fun trying these out and everything was delicious. I have a buttnernut squash soup recipe I am planning to make when we come back from Florida. It is a favorite of mine. I know what you mean about texture. Very nice buying the personal one for her. Good job on To The Mat. I never clicked with this one. Sounds like her new workouts are coming along.

Deb...I knew immediatley when you mentioned about trying out Cathe’s most recent live that it may have some moves you should avoid. She moves quick on those lunges too. Hope your hip is ok. We really thought about the expense and almost past. Glad we went with it. It is a good fit for us and very versatile.

Judy...that must have been fustrating. Well December 10th will be here soon enough. Good the doctor order the heart test. He is being thorough. You want that. I have not done Linda’s posture video yet. I have it on my list.

Valerie...they should have at least left a note or something. Very unprofessional for them to just drive off. I am definately not into juicing. To much work for little return. Great job on Cardio Supersets. If I remember that one is a pretty entense low impact. It has been a while since I have done this one but remember Amanda looked so fit and her abs were to die for!

Diane Sue...I did not notice the stickers. How cute is that? I completely forgot about the Spiegal catalog! Another favorite. :) That is what I did at Whole Foods. Grounded my own peanut butter. It was so expensive. My son loves fresh PB too so I will be making batches for him to take home. How is your cold? Hope better. That is some concoction you make. Good that it helps.

Have a great night all!

Today I did Coffey Fit Raw Cardio/Sculpt overload, 41 minutes, 265 calories, met 5.8, 1,969 steps, heart rate 110 average, 160 max. I finished off with a Sarah Beth You Tube Morning yoga, 16 minutes, 35 calories. total time 57 minutes, 300 calories.
Raw Cardio / Sculpt Overload Kelly wears a 6# weighted vest (optional) I used 12# and later in the workouts she mentions a 12#. She uses a light pair of dumbbells 8# and a 12# pair of dumbbells 30 seconds each exercise done 4 times This is all low impact.
cardio heel dig push
squat press 8# dbs
cardio
lateral raise reverse lunge 8# dbs (I used 5#)
cardio heel cross lateral leg raise
side lunge biceps curls 12# dbs (I think she light but picks up the heavier weight)
cardio football runs curtsy lunge
scale(1 leg dead lift) biceps curl 12# dbs
cardio crescent side kick step in
front lunge/squat/lunge press 8# db
cardio hamstring curl double inside toe tap
crunch with punches

Valerie, Cardio Supersets is a fun workout. They sell Adams products at Homeland here. I have not tried that kind of peanut butter though. I only eat peanut butter when I am out of another nut butter. For some reason if I eat it too often my skin breaks out. Probably the lectins in it. That is crazy that a Public utility truck driver would do that. It seems they would worry about their job. It is really hard to read the dates on packaging. That is another thing that I have had to come home and look with a magnifying glass only to find I was going to have to use whatever it was quickly.

Deb, Cathe does have some other low impact workouts that you might be able to use the premixes that are cardio and upper like Low Impact Circuit. Although I find Cathe sometimes does that and even though it is lower only or upper only she will throw in the upper/lower combined moves anyway. Although a lot of them use a step and that might not be something you want to do. I have looked at labels without my readers and thought they said something different when I looked at the macros and got home and found out I miss read them.

Carolyn, I have never minded mat work. I used to add them to lower body days all of the time. They do get results. I kind of like standing barre type work better at this point though. That workout is handy for using just one or two segments as an add on. Nice comb of workouts. I only have the 4 year old and 7 year old that are interested in toy catalogs. My 10 year old granddaughter is more interested in books and things like that. The rest are in college or married. I will have to look around at some other apps. I have the My Net Diary that has extra options for use, but I would have to pay a monthly fee. As it is at one point I had paid 10 dollars for the desktop app that I lost when my old all in one computer quit working. I can only get basic stuff much like MFP on it. It has some features I like better and nicer graphics.

Judy, I try to use macadamia butter when I can get it. Macadamia nuts are better on the omega 3 to omega 6 ratios. I love them. Being certain it is not a heart problem is a good idea, just in case. I think holding the tension in my shoulders for so long was just too much when my neck and shoulders were already inflamed.

Lori, nice calorie burn with the San Fran Bounce, it looks like a good one. I went to Whole Foods once and they were so over priced. My daughter was with me and made comment that I did not purchase as much as I usually do. I told her the prices were way up there. I did pick up some turkish figs for a recipe and a couple of veggies, also a pack of buffalo hot dogs that were too much and my dog ended up with them. They were not good. The store was fairly new and the meat counter was packed with people waiting. I have never been back. I like Sprouts and I have been to Natural grocers a few times. But, Sprouts is my favorite. The nice thing about making your own nut butter is that you can soak the nuts first so they are (sprouted) and then grind them and they are a lot more healthy and digestable that way. I have omitted that step, but have read over and over about sprouting the nuts. Sprouts carries already sprouted almonds. They are dry. I guess they dry them out before packaging.

Lori I can see my foot going thru the cords on the sides, maybe both legs simultaneously, and me breaking a leg or two. not for me!. you are lucky it is such a good fit for you.

we had shopping to do and a lunch with cousin and wife. no workout today. will ride in the morning. DH's birthday is tomorrow.

Of all the nuts I've tried, the only one I don't like is macadamias. they have a weird mouth feel to me, like coconut oil. I love almonds but can easily get almond butter at Costco. and of course, adams peanut butter. not a big fan of pecans either. I like to cook but some things I don't want to do myself, and grinding nuts and coffee are two of them. we talked about vitamix today. cousin has one and loves it but doesn't use it often. Costco has them. I make a lot of soup but prefer using a stick blender so I can control the texture if I don't want ti completely smooth.

Judy, good that they are being careful and checking and ruling out all other issues before deciding on what the problem is. I put the LW posture video on my favorite list and have brought it up and run thru most of it several times. I was pleased my posture is pretty decent overall. it goes thru a lot of exercises similar to what I did at PT a couple years ago. cardio supersets uses the glide disks several times. I like using them and can even do jacks with them. just be careful not to over reach with the slide motion. I like using disks for plank work. I'm grabbing the bottom feet of a bench to raise my hands off the floor a little, because flat hands ( they don't want to go flat anymore) bother my wrists, and the disks work nicely in that position.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday.

Valerie, thanks, I think every area has a different power company. Ours here is called National Grid. In a way it would be good if it was the power company truck. Although not good that they did that and will probably claim they were "unaware". But good that it is not a punk that is getting some kicks out of it and would most likely do it again. Minimal improvement on the hip pain. I think it is may be my fault, as I have slacked on the exercises being that it seemed they were not working so I skip a lot of days, but a catch-22 as this could be why they are not working.

Carolyn, I feel the same as you did about mat workouts, not sure I would ever like them though. Yes, I modified the lunges, on the leg with the bad hip, I hardly lowered at all and only used 5#.

Judy, good that Chris got that appointment for the scope and that the Gastro DR is having him checked by a cardiologist as well.

Lori, it sounds like you will be making good use of the Vitamix.. That workout looks like it would be fun. :). Is this the kind of rebounder you bought for the office? Yes, I liked the Live workout but had to be very careful with the lower body parts. How is Bob doing? We like natural butters too, I like almond crunchy and I actually got John hooked on sunflower seed butter. We get ours at the Co-op.

Diane Sue, I never heard about sprouting the nuts first before making the nut butter. I will have to look at the various butters they sell at the Co-op and see if any mention sprouted nuts being used. Yes, there are a lot of Live low impact cardio workouts, as well as the DVD's. There are certain angles that hurt my hip when I do them, so not only do I have to be careful with the lower body stuff, even cardio moves sometimes hurt.

Take care,

Good Morning,
Today I did Cardio Leg Blast which was 65 minutes and 387 calories burned. My average heart rate was 122 and maximum heart rate was 150.

Deb, please don’t give up on your PT exercises. Maybe your doctor can consider a cortisone shot or something else to relieve the pain so that you can benefit more from the therapy. That’s what the Orthopedist did for me with my shoulder problems. I do mat exercises, yoga, and stretching because I know that they are helpful for strengthening and stretching my tight body. As I age it seems to be even more important.

Valerie, I like Cardio Supersets a lot and have done it many times. I grind my own almond butter and peanut butter at The Fresh Market, but occasionally I want the special flavors from Big Spoon Roasters in Durham, NC. They have one with crystallized ginger and one with cocoa. I tried Costco’s Kirkland Signature Almond Butter and I hated it. I also buy whole bean coffee and grind it before each pot.

Diane Sue, I prefer standing barre leg exercises to mat, but I try to do both. Whole Foods is definitely not a store that I would go to for large shopping trips, but I pick up a few items there occasionally when I am close to one. Supposedly Amazon has reduced their prices on many items and the 365 store brand is pretty good. The Fresh Market here is very much like Whole Foods.

Lori, thanks for the San Fran Bounce video. It looks like it would be fun to try. I make frozen yogurt or “nice” cream from frozen bananas in my Vitamix. You will enjoy experimenting with it.

Judy, I’m glad Chris’ doctor is looking at different possibilities with the GERD. It’s too bad that he has to wait so long for the next appointment.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Deb if you'd have said "national grid", I'd have no clue what you meant. maybe PUD is a west coast thing? DH called this morning, will see what they do. it is possible it was another company's big truck, like one of the cable TV companies, but we don't think so. it was an odd time for anyone working since there was no power out or storm issues, and only people who would be looking at the power lines at 8 pm in the dark would be PUD. when our neighbor gets back from vacation, he is likely to contact them too since his box took a harder hit and may not work anymore. boxes are over $100 and they need to be mounted on a post at the right level. it took us a half a day to do it. a lot of people would need to hire someone for the job if they don't have the tools. the concrete base for ours was still usable.

I have not heard of sprouting nuts first either. I never had a way to grind them. I used to shop at a co op that had a nut grinder but it was such a mess I never got into it. Adams peanut butter is just peanuts and salt. it needs to be mixed, not simple. once done it doesn't separate again. I dislike PB that is sweetened. tastes totally wrong.

I don't like mat and floor work much either but I hate standing barre the most. the hydrant move using the band might have caused my bursitis so I'm really careful with those. I resent getting so sore for the light calorie burn. I'm making DH a cake right now. making an cinnamon apple cake I've never tried that is a one layer un frosted cake. more of a light coffee cake.

we talked to PUD and they admit it was their truck. the driver didn't realize he'd hit something. not sure I believe that, he really whacked both posts. it was dark and raining but there are reflectors all over the posts and mailboxes and paper tubes, and they are off the road in a designated turn out. to get any compensation we'd have to file a claim ….blah blah, not worth it for $6 post. best thing is relief we don't have a mystery punk running around the neighborhood bashing mailboxes.

my apple cake turned out nicely. DH didn't want a over-the-top dessert. this was a coffee cake from Cooking Light. I will post recipe if anyone would like an easy apple cinnamon coffee cake. not diet food, but not ridiculous either.

as planned, we mt biked the tree farm. about 2 hrs, 7.5 miles. nice ride. I haven't done anything outside for a while, and it felt good.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.