Pentagenarians & beyond: W/B 10/14

Deb it’s a burned forest area with lots of still standing dead trees and fallen timber. Many small pine trees two feet tall regrowing and small brush. You can see further because of no live trees to peaks all around. A creek running thru it Flowers might be great in spring but not now. There were a few others hiking but no hunters I don’t want to hike or do anything else near active hunting

We saw a huge herd of elk near our house ( within a mile) when we left in the morning but they were out of sight when we got back. there is a herd that winters near here but they move around a lot. it was cold and snowy last weekend but this week is warm and sunny so maybe they went back up higher.

Anti inflammatories are such useful drugs but need to watch quantity, just like acetaminophen. Too much can cause problems. the older drug worked better for me than the newer ones.

I have several moosewood books. My favorite book was laurels kitchen I still use both occasionally. Moosewood tended to be heavy on cheese if I remember right.
I hate lavender .....smelling it I get me a soapy taste immediately I love the plant in my garden but not in my kitchen. It is overwhelming to me.
What a pleasure that will be to get furniture back in place with newly refinished floors. especially having someone else do it.

Last edited:
This morning I did Kelly Coffey Cardio Kick Step Boxing 70 minutes, 463 calories, met 6.0, heart rate average 128, max 160, 6,129 steps. I have my grandson here and I am expecting a call from the roofers as we called and left messages. Our roof is still leaking same as before :( I will be back in a little while. I am going to have to get out my carpet shampooer and see if I can get some of the water up as I did not have buckets or towels down since I expected the roof to be fixed.

Today was Slow and Heavy Triceps and Biceps, 64 minutes and 161 calories burned. I wanted to get in all three workouts this week. They are tough but good workouts.

Deb, the pillow that I ordered looks just like Judy’s. I think the brand is Comfilife.

Diane Sue, that’s terrible to go through all of that repair and have the roof continue to leak! I certainly hope they can find the problem. Have fun with your grandson today. Students here had fall break around Columbus Day.

Valerie, the S and H workouts made me sore, but in a good way. I can tell that I worked my muscles differently. I have the Laurel’s kitchen books also. My favorite Moosewood recipe is the Lentil Walnut Burgers which I plan to make soon. The Forks over Knives cookbook has some soups and stews that I might try.

Lori, great job with Lekfit. I’m glad that you really like them. The few clips that I have seen look good.

Judy, I’m curious about what you thought about your pillow. Once I find a good position with my small pillow I can usually fall asleep.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Reactions: WD
I just talked to the guy from the Builders that fixed the sun room etc.. He is not so helpful now. He said he knows that I had a roofer come out that gave me his company's number and surmised they checked it out well. He is contacting a roofer to have them come out and look. I am getting pretty tired of shelling out money and things do not work when the work is done.

Lori, the administrators should post some sort of update if they can so maybe there would not be so many questions. I hope it is not something mental going on with it too. She seems to have such a sweet personality. Maybe they think if they divulge too much information it will scare subscribers off. I hope she gets better. It is tough for instructors when they are down and that is their job. I remember when Cathe had her injury and so many were badgering about finishing the workouts that they pre-ordered.

Valerie, I do not know why anyone would be so ignorant to go out drinking and hunting. It is really stupid. Definitely a good time to avoid hiking the area. Burned out areas would not be such a pleasant place either. I remember when a doctor gave me Motrin as a prescription for my headaches (then diagnosed as tension). For some reason when stuff is over the counter people think it is something they can use all they want with no affect to the body. I learned my lesson when my son was born and I had a spinal that they talked me into. I had severe headaches and ate Excedrin to the point it was every two hours and was not working and I had rebound headache with fuzziness and hearing loss. It was terrible. Never again would I do that to myself. I didn't have a spinal again either. No way! I wish that other medicine would have worked. It was not costly and it would have been nice to be able to take something once a day. I always allow a long time between does of Advil when I do take it though. I do not like the side affects. It is a last resort. Excedrin worked for Migraines a lot of the time and I rarely had to take the Imitrex. For whatever reason they seemed to go away. I had them for many years though. Even as a child, I remember walking the school campus in a headache induced haze and nauseated. I never thought to take anything when I was young. I lived with it.

Judy, I would go nuts trying to keep my leg on that pillow. Even with a sofa pillow they end up lost on the floor or something, but it did help while I used it. I think I saw some different pillows recommended by Ben Shatto the Physical Therapist that I bought some books from. I have looked at a lumbar pillow that he recommended for when my low back and hips hurt. Sitting for long times usually causes discomfort.

Deb, they put a PT place in in the shopping center with Sprouts and it has equipment inside. I used plain English breakfast decaf tea the last two nights and filled a big mug with it so it would not have any extra sweet taste, as a lot of the herbal teas seem to have a sweet taste. Even the stress relief one I was using has stevia leaf in it. It was better this way. The only thing is, a large mug of liquid before bed means getting up in the middle of the night :( I am wondering if just using multi collagen and buying the other ingredients separate would work. I wonder why they chose lavender. Just because that essential oil induces relaxation, so they say, does not mean it tastes wonderful. I still have not tried it with Earl Grey. Maybe a berry smoothie with it would be better ? It is okay, but not yummy. Still I am getting much better sleep. 5 nights this week I had 7:12 -7:36 hours of sleep. Last night was 6:48, but I stayed up too late looking for a copy of the check I sent out with a tax voucher that my husband did not have in his folder. I did not want to go to bed worrying about it. I could have slept longer if it had not been for that crazy alarm. Most nights the rem and deep sleep has been good. Last night I had 2 hr 20 minutes of rem and 1 hr 5 min of deep. Last night not so good though as it was 1 hr 44 of rem and 12 minutes of deep. I think the issue was way too much dark chocolate with cayenne pepper that I had purchased along with extra caffeine as my daughter bought me a Starbucks latte in when she bought my grandson. I just had too much sugar and junk. Starting out that way today so we will see if I can rectify that as my son in law bought me in a Pumpkin latte and my daughter had said decaf on the phone, but it was not marked decaf plus I had bullet proof coffee which I have been trying in the mornings with mct oil to see if it helps my energy levels. The rest of the day I have to clamp down on that. I also found that with the relax on the fit bit I can slide over from 2 minutes to 5 and I have done that and if I wasn't asleep I did it again and generally I fall asleep.

Carolyn, nice work on getting all of the Slow and Heavy workouts in. It is nice to feel like you worked something differently. When I look at your calorie burn , I remember that is why I always felt I needed to hit some cardio with it as well. I know it is not necessary though to get the results.

This morning I did Raw Boxing & Tubing. That was a nice and short workout. I used 3 lb hand weights for the boxing. I plan on trying Tubing Works this weekend.

Diane Sue-I'm sorry that your roof is still leaking :( That must be very frustrating.

Deb & Carolyn- I used the pillow last night and my hip felt a little better this morning. I had to move the pillow a few times to get it so it was comfortable but it does seem to help. I'm going to keep using it for now.

Hi to Valerie & Lori!

Judy

Diane Sue, I had the same thought when I looked at my stats—all of that work and only 161 calories!! I have been looking at my daily calories burned on the Fitbit lately to try to understand why it’s so low on certain days. I have noticed that on days that I strength train my total is higher. I expected it to be higher on cardio days. The cardio activity may have higher calories, but not always my total for the day. I’m still trying to understand what makes a difference for me. I am hypothyroid and I know that slows it down some.

Judy, good job with Raw Boxing and Tubing. I’m looking forward to trying the contoured pillow.

That totally stinks that your roof still leaks. Hope you can get them back to fix whatever they missed.

my niece and her hubby are trying to get here today and have had nothing but grief. mechanical problem delayed flight. could not land due to fog so diverted elsewhere. finally got to seattle but missed connecting flight. then supposedly rental car was not available even tho they had printed reservation confirmation. finally got all that worked out but they will be way later than planned. isn't air travel great sometimes.
I need to do a workout this afternoon. I thought they would be here by now.

I don't have a high opinion of hunters. I know everyone isn't irresponsible... more than a few are jerks. I do not hike or ride in areas being actively hunted.

I don't have a Fitbit but always wondered how they calculate accurate calorie burn. I can see how it could count steps, and heart rate. if you are weight training you may not be moving much but working hard. my heart rate does not go up that much with weights. don't understand how it can count that. plus, my heart rate is normally quite low. 140-150 maybe 155 is as high as it goes. so I think I would always calculate out as a low calorie burn. as people get more fit, often their heart rate with exercise drops. I don't know if they are burning less calories.

I use Eating Well magazine and Cooking Lite magazines mainly. . I read that they were merging into one publication. I also read that WW was changing their name and need to look up what that is about. I don't remember Lentil walnut burgers but there was a whole series of Moosewood books. I wonder if the restaurant still exists.

Valerie, I hadn’t read that about Cooking Light and Eating Well, but it’s not surprising. They are consolidating magazines and reducing staff through the publishing industry. My oldest daughter works for a large publishing company which has undergone a lot of change. The cookbook that I have is The New Moosewood Cookbook.

Reactions: WD
Carolyn, I read it on a forum of former cooking light subscribers. I have not seen anything official. I'm not surprised either. I don't remember which book. I have 2 or 3 but at our other house.

Valerie, I just read it in a Forbes article from September 13. Apparently Meredith Media acquired Cooking Light when they bought Time (something I did read about). I wonder what it means for my CL subscription if the last issue is in December.

Good morning,

Well the majority of the furniture is back, but all the small stuff that makes it convenient, ( like ottomans, chairs, tables) are still upstairs. We are hesitant to put too much back before the rugs come back. At lease we can sit in the living room now. :)

Valerie, was the burned area something that happened with someone being careless? Can you tell how long ago it happened? That's awful about your niece and her DH with all that travel "stuff" that happened. It is just the sign of the times and how travel by plane is so horrible now.

Carolyn, I ordered one of the pillows on Amazon. I hope the 3 of us get some better sleep from these.

Diane Sue, what do the original people that did the work have to say about it still leaking? You may end up in Small Claims court over this. I hope they own up to it and fix it so you don't have to go that route. I want to go back to Amazon and see if they have that collagen mixture in pill form. I don't really see me drinking it every day. I will be returning it. I thought about trying to adjust the interval session on the FitBit to mimic the breathing exercises I use to go to sleep, but have not gotten to it yet. They seem to work without any device so I may skip that.

Judy, that's great that the pillow helped. the pillow I ordered has a strap that "supposedly" keeps it in place if you turn over. We'll see.

Hi to Lori,

Take care,

Carolyn I had renewed my eating well subscription several months ago for another 2 yrs. as you know magazines subscriptions are not expensive anymore I have not subscribed to CL for years. expect I will get some notice about whatever gets worked out. I dropped CL because the format got dumbed down, annoyingly repetitive, no real articles anymore. . they closed their forums besides.

Deb there are huge areas of forest, both private lands, national forest, and wilderness areas. forest fires don't usually get "fought" unless they threaten towns/ structures. this is very rugged country. most fires are lightning caused, burn themselves out. some caused by carelessness . vast areas burned regenerate by themselves over a long time. we guessed how long ago the area burned by the how big the new little pine trees looked to us. we were guessing 5-10 yrs ago because little trees scattered around were 2 feet tall. pines in particular need fire to burn an area for the seeds to germinate and grow. Its common to walk through burned over areas, but this hike... that was all there was. in spring there are probably a lot of flowers and new plant and tree growth because sunlight reaches the ground after big trees are gone. its a natural cyclic process. I don't like hiking for miles of it. remember the awful fires in Yellowstone in 1988? it's all regrowing with new trees covering burned areas so densely you can barely walk through.

my niece and husband got here about 9 pm. we drove out and met them for last few miles to make sure no wrong turns. they're tired, dark, gravel roads. they had such an awful travel day we wanted to make sure the last part was painless. mechanical and weather caused the problems. dense fog is a problem this time of year in seattle. planes get diverted to other airports until it lifts. not anyone's fault.... if its not safe to land and take off. it happened to me plenty of times! makes for a long tedious day. it is really good to see them.

good luck with the pillow. I would have trouble keeping a pillow in place but I think you should tell quickly if it helps with the discomfort or not.

This morning I did WS3 One Mile of Motivation for 15 minutes and 116 calories burned. Average heart rate was 127 and maximum heart rate was 146. I then did KCM Body Design Cardio Bootcamp for 15 minutes and 113 calories burned. My average heart rate was 129 and maximum heart rate was 151. Total workout time was 30 minutes with 229 calories burned. I didn’t feel like doing Cathe cardio today.

Valerie, the article that I read about CL and Eating Well said that company decided to keep Eating Well because it seems more in line with how people think about food today. I agree that CL changed. Lately the issues have been more interesting but I feel like much of it is targeted to people who don’t know much about cooking. Maybe that’s what you mean by “dumbing down”.

Hi to Diane Sue, Judy, Lori, and Deb. Have a wonderful day.

This morning I did Kelly Coffey Cardio Sculpt Fitness, cardio and drills mix, 40 minutes, average heart rate 127, max 176, 265 calories, 3,018 steps, met 6.0. I was short on time as we went to my daughter's this morning so my husband could help our son in law work on his deck and steps around the front and side of their house. He has had a hard time getting it done with rain and activities. I really had planned on doing the full workout to get in some weights. I have things to get ready for our family get together tomorrow. I ended up with my 3 younger grandchildren together yesterday afternoon and evening. My grandson 18 came over and studied using our wifi and cleared the morning glories and grass out of our planter in front. We are going to put in round up or ground control and put in some weed blocker and mulch or something so that maybe we can put in some low growing evergreen next year. Maybe blue rug juniper which grows well. Grass has just started growing up through it and it has looked terrible this year.
My husband called the guy that did our roof yesterday evening and he says they are going to take care of it. He is sending a roofer over that should come Monday. We will see how they handle it.

Judy, I am glad the pillow worked some for your hip and hope it continues to help. Nice work on the Boxing and tubing workout.

Carolyn, FitBit has some strange calculations. When I think I have it kind of figured out the do some update and then things are off again for awhile. I think that I probably get more calories with the step workouts than it shows. If I use the Map My Fitness app at the same time and set it for step it is considerably more calories. I generally just use aerobics though at it coincides better with what the FitBit calculates for calories. If I do slow weight work, Fit Bit gives me hardly anything. I have seriously had some workouts that came out to around 60 to 90 calories and thought I could have burned that much sitting in the chair almost. They say algorithms I think it just takes on movement patterns and heart rate. So, not much movement you don't get many calories. I could be wrong though. That is why I use other methods. Generally an all weight workout for me comes at 4.0 to 4.8 met depending on how slow I am moving. I kind of have my own met values down for stuff. Usually quite a bit less than the met value charts. I would be fat if I relied on those met values to calculate my calories.

Valerie, that is terrible that your niece and her husband have had that much trouble. Unbelievable that their rental was not ready for them. Air travel should be quicker, which is why a lot of people use it. Delays and waits for other flights along with some of their round about routes, check ins etc. really do take away from it being a time saving way to travel. I have only checked out the Moose wood cookbook from the library before. I think many magazines are struggling. If they are not downloadable, a lot of people just do not purchase them. I check them out from the library when I want to look at them. When I look at cooking magazines and I find a recipe I like, like the roasted veggie salad with avocado dressing, I copy and paste it and print it out. I always felt like I was throwing a lot of money away on magazines that lay around till I tossed them. I do still have a few magazine type recipe books from Oxygen Magazine's Clean Eating that I use. If I remember right I had Muscle and Fitness Hers and Clean Eating Magazines have problems after I had paid for my subscription in the past. Both are back in print again.
That was nice that you went out to meet your niece and her husband so they did not lose there way after all that they had been through. Coming in at night is not a good time to hunt for someone out in the woods.

Deb, I can understand your hesitance to put everything back yet. When do you get the rugs? Maybe Dr Axe will come up with another flavor in that formula. I am contemplating buying the extra supplements next time and taking just the multi collagen like I have been doing. They have added some flavors, but they do not sound good and I would like to do away with the sweet taste. I think they have started using some monk fruit along with the stevia in their products and to me it is nauseatingly sweet. I can take the lavender taste, but it is not a wonderful taste and once this one is gone, I may try what I said above. I liked using the unflavored Bullet Proof protein, but they have not had that in Sprouts for awhile. I am sorry that you do not like the Sleep formula. I have found that learning the breathing pattern for relaxing helps without something to monitor it. I used the 5 minutes though and it kept me at it longer I think.

not a lot of time tonight.. carolyn yes, the ingredients got more "processed", recipes were repetitive, with a shopping list in addition to the recipe listing ingredients, and directions got over simplified. more pre packaged things that I would not use. any articles of any depth disappeared. there were other issues but I dropped the subscription along with a lot of other people . we complained thru the forums but no one paid attention to us. with lots of silly red arrows pointing all over. I felt like an adult magazine got dumbed down to a 6th grade level. sure seems like an early death comes to a lot of publications. I know I have dropped things one by one as the content disappeared into a mass of ads. I like paper magazines to look at for travel, but often print the recipes I want to use separately.

well, all is going well. glad we went to meet them last night feeling it was right thing to do. did not want anything else to go wrong, and we had to drive up to the top of our driveway anyway, this was only 10 more minutes. it was the last "lighted" spot where I thought we could not miss each other. relaxing day with a little yard work, a walk, a visit to a lake, just pleasant. will go look for bears with the telescope tomorrow morning.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.