Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 1/15

Good evening ladies....

This morning I did JS 15 minute cardio blast with my ankle weights and 2lb hand weights. Then 20 minutes of battle rope tabatas. Last but not least SB Arm Target With No Planks (that is actually the name) 13 mins. Tonight when I came home I immediately changed, kissed my husband and doggies, then went downstairs and jumped freestyle for 20 minutes. After reading all the articles about how great rebounding is in detoxing the lymphatic system I want to try and jump every evening even if only a few minutes.

Valerie...lol on keep working out! Fortunately, I do not eat that way very often. I do allow myself every now and then though. :). My husband is the same way with his snacks. However, he has recently been better. I think I'm finally wearing off on him.

Deb...I have been feeling ok...I just was not feeling a workout. Good your doctor scheduled the CT. Hope this gets to the bottom of things and you can move on.

Carolyn...Travel Fit is a great workout! Funny we never do this unless we travel. Deb and I have talked about our unwritten rule of only doing this while traveling! Safe travels tomorrow.

Diane Sue...my husband would love if I prepared all that for him. He knew when he married me that I can cook but do not enjoy it. I really like AOLIH. Need to remember to do this one. Awesome your grandson has stuck with it.

Have a great night all!

Carolyn, I used to do Travel Fit occasionally without being on vacation or away from home. That one and One on One Road Warrior.

That was some workout. I like using the rebounder and will be glad when I can use it again. I wish it would clear the silicone out of my lymph nodes. I am really unsure how they are supposed to work if it never leaves. Even after the surgery I am noticing the lymph nodes. I have tried finding ways to help online but so far have not had much luck.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday, I did work the morning at John's office. Then I had to come home and nap, since I only had 3 hours of sleep the night before.

Diane Sue, I must have read your post wrong...I thought you cooked all bacon for some reason before you would toss it....LOL...That's great that at least your husband will eat the good food that you make, mine would not. How can you tell if there is silicone in your lymph nodes? What does the DR/surgeon say about that?

Valerie, I feel the same way with how John eats, always has sweets handy, and lots of different breads...I can't suggest anything about his diet, he takes it as "nagging"...so I keep quiet.

Carolyn, yes Travel Fit is great, and I get all kinds of DOMS the next day when I do it.

Lori, that is interesting about rebounding and how it helps the lymphatic system. I am the same as you...probably could cook, but do not enjoy it. Good that John does like to cook.

Working 12-4 today, then agility class...

Take care,

DH is lucky in a way. I gain weight instantly. He gets away with eating sweets without gaining because he works out and is active.,... but his cholesterol jumps up. his hdl is pathetically low no matter what he does. it goes up a little when his cholesterol rises. He has gotten into the habit of eating all the good food I make( (I cook a lot, always fresh) ....but THEN he supplements with too much sweet, rich stuff. My lipid levels are always textbook great but every extra calorie goes to my thighs. I long ago realized I couldn't eat sweets without gaining so I eat very limited portions infrequently, usually for a snack when we are doing something intense like a hike or ride.

Did total body metabolic yesterday. yep, I like that one a lot.

My friend with pancreatic cancer has had a recurrence in several locations. she got accepted into a new treatment program but has gotten very sick after each course. she is in intensive care right now. she is a very strong person and really wants to win this battle but I am not optimistic. I wanted to go visit her but as soon as she started the program she got very sick and was hospitalized. a terrible awful illness.

Last edited:
Today I did Strong and Sweaty Boot Camp no upper mix with some modifications, 36 minutes, 251 calories. I then did S&S PHA lower body mix #2, each exercise done 3 times then move to the next, 27 minutes, 148 calories. Total time was 63 minutes, calories burned 399.

Deb, I could not imagine cooking all of that bacon to throw it out. Particularly since I don't like the smell of it. I really just had the idea if I had some cooked up and ready I would use it in a couple of recipes, but I just couldn't stand the taste. That is funny that you pictured me cooking it all up to throw it away. I still have the same swollen lymph node areas that they found the silicone in and they have been a bit tender lately.. I read more this morning and the surgeons say it is safe and as long as it is not causing pain or anything to leave it alone. Then I go to an implant site and read about a lot of women that had the same issue and some with pain in their arms from the lymph nodes that have silicone in the under arm area, fibromyalgia, and other problems. Some had to search out and find a doctor that understood and had the lymph nodes removed. The pain and problems went away. The consensus is that the FDA says it is safe and not harmful so no one wants to believe otherwise. I have read a couple of doctors that posted some other reports that the silicone can be harmful. I just wonder how the lymph nodes are supposed to do their job if they have silicone in them that they cannot get rid of. My surgeon says it will not leave and he will be glad to help the next time that I have labs done and they think there is silicone leaking. Now, my daughter says that no matter what, if I have swollen lymph nodes that swell up and cause pain for awhile like they did it has to be checked because I would need to know it was not cancer that was causing it. It worries me.

Valerie, I have seen so many people that are optimistic about their treatments only to lose the battle. It is heartbreaking. I have seen some that have won it too, but those are generally the ones that the initial treatment course seems to work for them. Repeated treatments seem to just wear down the immune system more and more. That is a bad type of cancer. I hope she is one of the ones that it works for. I am sorry that you didn't get to go see her. Can you see her in the hospital?

Good evening ladies...

This morning was SB Bootcamp Hiit 27 mins and then about 20 minutes of Cardio Slam. That was all I had time for. Tonight I bounced for 21 mins.

So miserable here weatherwise. We had snow, sleet, rain last night into today. Very cold and nasty driving.

Diane Sue...hmm I wonder why the silicone is not moving. So sorry you are still feeling your lymp nodes even after surgery. I think I would like that PHA premix. Going to make it up right now.

Valerie...I am so sorry to hear about your friend. When was she diagnosed? 2 years now? Madeline seems to be hanging in and doing well. Last September she had a turn for the worse but miraculously has significantly improved. She is amazing. Cancer is just terrible. I like that Metabolic one too.

Deb...no matter what article I read it talks about the lymphatic system. Did you enjoy being at John's office? So sorry on the lack of sleep. Really recks your day.

Have a great night all!

Lorie, I have done both of the PHA premixes. I thought this one was harder since there is very little rest and you are doing the same exercise 3 times in a row. The lower mix #1 has the exercises done in original order and repeated 3 times.

Hi Everyone,

Monday I did ICE Boot Camp Circuit; Yesterday I did a 1 hour Spinerval and Yoga Tune Ups for low back and hips. Today I did a 45 minute Spinerval. My shoulder and neck are still bothering me so I think I'm going to take an active rest week before I start another rotation.

Deb-I think I pulled or strained something doing the bonus abs in S & S or doing the pullovers in PHA Training. It's not too bad so hopefully a few days off will take care of it.

Valerie- I am so sorry about your friend :( Yes, it is a terrible illness.
My husband is the one with good cholesterol. His total is well below 200, but his HDL is a little low. My total has been going up since 2011, but my HDL is high and my triglycerides are low.

Diane Sue-Great workouts! I'm sorry that your lymph nodes are still bothering you.

Lori-I'm glad to hear that Madeline is doing well. The weather has been miserable here lately too.

Friend is in AZ. ... a long distance for me to go to hope to hit a good day. I need to see if she still has any. maybe I am over reacting. she isn't coherent right now. can't see or get out of bed. It would be nice to imagine my presence would change that..... but no. I have to think of how hard it would be on me to see her like this..I hope that doesn't sound uncaring but she's had 2 courses of the new chemo, hospitalized both times, first time in protective isolation, this time the ICU after several days in a care facility. big list of serious problems. I will reassess if she recovers from the side effects. thinking she may be removed from this new treatment protocol for getting this sick. then she has new tumors in two bad places. crap. CRAP!

I did most of Ramped up upper body. stopped a little before the end. out of time. a nice workout. I backed off on weights significantly. when she started it with 35 lbs I could not believe it. HUH? I decided to drop by 20-25 % so got out 25's and continued like that thru it. 10's instead of 12's. 8's instead of 10's. a good workout! music drove me nuts. half way thru I went to vocals only. won't listen to this music again. no reduction in volume like on the spin workout. drowns cathe out and just annoying obnoxious loud.
pullovers with a 25 made me nervous. think Catherine used 35????? Scary
Our weather has been wretched. mountain passes ( Interstate) closed all day, freezing rain, avalanches, downed trees. flooding. just messy and ugly.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,
We made it back yesterday with no problems. We were both exhausted from the drive and the weekend of baby sitting. We both needed to soak in the tub for muscle tightness and mental relaxation. Today I did JS 30 Minute Fat Blaster Walk and a 20 Minute JS Gentle Yoga for Hips and Knees. My quads have been unusually tight for the past week or longer and was causing knee discomfort. I feel much better after the stretch.

Travel Fit is a good workout, but I never think of it when I am at home.

Valerie, I am sorry that your friend is not doing well. They have made some amazing strides in cancer treatment, but pancreatic cancer is one of the more difficult ones. I really like Total Body Metabolic also.

Lori, I have read several articles that talk about the benefit of rebounding for the lymphatic system. I even read where it may be beneficial for cancer patients. Besides that it just looks like fun.

Diane Sue, we have bacon sometimes on Sunday morning, but I am careful about what I buy. There are some that I can't stand to smell or eat.

Hello to Judy and Deb. I hope you are both doing well today.

Lori my friend was diagnosed about 2 1/2 yrs ago. she was vacationing and it took some time to get her home and then in to see someone. It was a slow process. will never know if the delay contributed to this. pancreatic is about 20% surviving at 5 years post surgery. a lot of people don't have the surgery because they are too far gone for it to help. So good that madeleine is doing so well. some treatments are very effective and some people are more resilient.

Deb where are you today?

Carolyn isn't it amazing how exhausting a long drive is. I always need take the next day to recover.

Last edited:
Today I did Ripped with Hiit Low Impact Hiit 2 mix 2 both workouts, 50 minutes, 360 calories. I did not do the plank stuff like kick outs and substituted football runs. I then did Intensity low impact Hiit with the stretch, 18 minutes, 102 calories. Total time was 68 minutes, calories burned 462.

Judy, good idea taking an active rest. I would think maybe the pullovers. Although I have not done the S&S abs yet.

Deb, I hope the CT scan goes well for you today. I imagine you will have to wait a day or two to have someone give you the results.

Valerie, that would be a long distance to travel if you are not sure that you would be able to see her. It is hard to watch someone dealing with pain. That is too bad it took so long for her to get to where they did the surgery. I used to do pullovers at 45# but after a couple of shoulder injuries I cut down some. Now, after the surgery I will be going very light if I do them at all. Sagi on Body Beast cautions going back too far over the head with the weight on the barbell because you don't wan to injure the neck. I have seen a lot of instructors go back really far with the weight. So many moves pull in the chest muscles. I was trying to find isolation exercises for triceps and it is very hard to find something that doesn't work chest as well.

Carolyn, when I do not workout for a few days everything gets tight. A bit of recovery is probably necessary. The two types of bacon that I like are Garette (not sure if I spelled it right) and Pederson Farms. I buy both in the no sugar nitrate free. Garette seems to be extra thin sliced.

I think what bothered me about the pullovers is lying down on a bench.... they were pulling the weight up right over their faces. I used 25 lbs and didn't think that was bad but I did not bring it over my face. stopped before I got there. the standing pullovers don't get the weight over the face. if your weight slips, you could have some serious damage done. yipes 45 lbs that is a lot. I have very good ROM with pullovers and am careful as I can go back further than many, and with too much weight it could cause a problem.

I am hoping for my friend to recover where she might enjoy a visit. I would not be able to stay long.

Good evening ladies!

This morning was SB Feel Good Arms and Cardio. Nothing too intense but my arms always feel worked after this workout. Was going to do a premix of S&S Ramped UP Upper after but felt like I was good with upper work. So I did JS 30 min Fat Blaster.

Diane Sue...I did not realize it was three of the same in a row. That would not appeal to me. I will make a premix that I will enjoy. Great workout today. I like most of the Intensity DVD segments. The Step portion is the only section I just never warmed up to.

Valerie...again I am so sorry about your friend. Cancer is so nasty and Pancreatic is so terrible to have. It was amazing that my brother caught it by accident so early. Thinking he had a hernia saved his life. They took most of his pancreas when all was said and done so he is insulin dependent now. A small price to pay for his health.

Carolyn...funny we did the same JS workout. I ordered a couple of her new and they will be in shortly. I have been waiting a bit due to so but there were some issues with the dvds so they were not available on Amazon. I find most of her walks are really not "walks" at all and I think that is why I like them. Rebounding is so much fun!

Judy...good to take an active rest week. It will do you well. I ordered JS walk of belly fat and her new metabolism dvd. Do you have either of these?

Well my son and his GF are back together. He called me this morning and so did she. I am so happy for them and me too. :)

Lori-That's great news about your son and his GF! I'm so happy for them and for you too :)

Yes, I have those two JS dvds. I've done the metabolism booster one and it's very good.

Good morning,

Sorry I was MIA yesterday...went for the CT scan, and had a bad night sleeping the night before. No results yet. Probably today.

Valerie, so sorry about your friend. She has been through a lot. I can't imagine what that is like. I am so surprised that you gain any weight with all the activity you do. I have been really lucky that my HDL is so high, that the DR does not push for me to go on any meds. When she is able, I think your friend would be happy to see you.

Diane Sue, that has to be very stressful, to read up on something, with 2 sides to it, not knowing what is right. What If you trust your DR, go with what he says.

Lori, yes, enjoy working at John's office, mostly because it is helping him, and the patients are very nice. LOL at your statement...."tonight I bounced for 21 minutes".... So great that Madeline is doing well. Good news about your son and his GF.

Judy, the active rest week should do the trick!

Carolyn, glad you got back safe and sound. I can see how you would have muscle soreness from that ride, (and all the grandchild activities!).

A workout, then going to my friends to watch (hopefully!) the last 2 episodes of Suits Season 7. Whew it has taken us months to get through this season.

Anyone have any fun plans for the weekend?

Take care,

Deb, hope there is something useful gained from the scan. this has sure gone on for a long time.

Its like my metabolism has locked in a set weight, and won't budge. I weighed this morning and exactly the same. to the tenth of a pound. I have been hungry at night so hoping something was happening. longer, endurance activity helps, haven't done much of lately. today I think we will do a ride as it is warmed up a little and not raining. has been too cold and icy for a month at least.
did a 41 min spin pre mix last night, cathe's first spin disk without count down timer. still was decent. I like the music better in older ones and it isn't as loud. the soundtrack doesn't over whelm her voice like on newer disks so I don't think the problem is with my TV or DVD player. the older and newer ones play differently.

Lori ... good they worked it out between them. bodes well for the future. no one gets thru a marriage thru without conflicts or disagreement, and if they can settle differences that says good things about their future.
my friend is not going to recover. her family is with her now. I wonder if the delay in getting her surgery scheduled affected the outcome. no way to know. Lori many hugs to your brother, he is lucky.

we had hoped to get a big tree removed today after an estimate yesterday, but the tree guy called back later to say he was sick with the flu. will postpone til next week. the flu has been making the rounds here. DH and I both got shots in Oct so this is a test since we spent time with him yesterday morning looking at the tree, and signing off on the paperwork.

we are rewatching the wire. we have subtitles on the DVD. so much easier to watch. we first saw this on VHS with no subtitles, and much of the dialogue was unintelligible. except for liberal use of the f-bomb which always comes thru clearly.

Last edited:
I was very tired and did not feel like working out today. My body seems to be having delayed reaction to the trip. I ran a few errands and now I am taking it easy.

Valerie, it's disappointing when the pounds don't want to come off. Are you eating your daily points? I find that I must be aware of portion sizes in addition to food choices. You really shouldn't be hungry on the program. Make sure that you eat plenty of the zero points vegetables to add to your entrees. The other thing to be aware of is prepared convenience foods which have hidden sugars and sodium. Don't be discouraged and keep following the plan.

Lori, I agree that the JS workouts are not just walking workouts. I think of them as low impact aerobics.

Judy, I have the Metabolism Booster DVD but I haven't tried it yet.

Hello to everyone.

Today I did Strong and Sweaty Cycle Sweat Timesaver 3, another 4 gone, 42 minutes, 8.53 miles, 313 calories. My grandson came over today so that is all I did. I have two of my younger grandchildren coming over tonight and tomorrow I have to put together a birthday cake for my grandson's 19th birthday party on Sunday. I am going to have to got o the store to pick up some things.

Lorie, I always liked the Intensity Step portion the best. I used the low impact portion a lot when I rehabilitated my knee and wanted a short cardio. Doing the same exercise 3 times in a row with very little rest had me lowering the weight. It was not easy. I bet you are really pleased that your son and his girlfriend have got back together again.

Deb, sorry that you did not get any sleep before the ct scan. I hope you enjoy your time with your friend today. I think the surgeon has my best interests in mind. I just think that we do have to be responsible for our health ourselves. I am doing everything I can in hopes of healing the damaged nerves from the biopsy and helping the immunes system. I know that stuff takes time. The thing is I have been pretty careful on nutrition etc.. I am wondering too if some of the lymph node swelling is worse because of the viruses that I have had.

Valerie, I still worry about being around people that have the flu. We got our shots in October as well. I think the effectiveness goes down a bit after 3 months. It has warmed up here nicely today. The sun is shining. Enjoy your ride today.

Carolyn, get some rest. The energy will come back.

Carolyn thanks for the kind words. I am eating a lot of vegies and have been between 30 and 35 points but I don't use the activity points. I am waking up at night very hungry. I always have to use the bathroom about 12:30, and one night I had to eat something. just could not go to sleep. so I ate a few forkfulls of leftover green beans! I have gotten increasingly resistant to losing.

3 exercises in a row focusing on the same muscle group is really tiring. I did not get very sore but I sure felt burned at the time. I went quite a bit lighter immediately as soon as I saw what the format was.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.