Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 1/15

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

A fun agility class yesterday, Kylee was so cute.

Carolyn, so nice that you are able to go and stay with the grandchildren. How many and how old are they?

Valerie, that is great that you were able to get the refrigerator picked out and installed so quickly. I like the French door ones too, but don't think one would fit in the spot we have either. The Subaru books are so confusing, I hate when I have to look something up in them. Why can't they test these with "normal" people before they print them? I always say this with any manual that comes with stuff, especially electronics, but the car manuals are definitely the worse.

Diane Sue, I have seen white balsamic vinegar somewhere, not sure where though. Great that they were able to fix your dryer. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Judy, how are you feeling? Neck etc any better?

A workout, not sure if I am going to start the S&S/ICE rotation or just stick with S&S for now.

Take care,

Good Morning Everyone,

I went to the chiropractor yesterday and took a rest day from working out. I think the adjustment helped but I'm still a little sore. I'm planning on doing a workout this morning.

Deb- I'm looking at the Strong and Icy rotation. I think I will start that and do ICE Boot Camp Circuit today.

Valerie-that's great that you got your refrigerator so fast. I'll do Cycle Sweat again this week. I think I'll try it with my mountain bike/trainer instead of the Cyclops bike and see if feels any different.

Diane Sue- I hope you are feeling better. There is so much going around here. I had a bad sinus headache last week and I thought I would end up going to urgent care but it cleared up.

Lori- I like all of Cathe's live cycle workouts too. I've only done Cycle Max a couple of times. As I recall, it wasn't one of my favorites either.

Good afternoon ladies!

Yesterday I did the complete SB BarreAmped Bounce workout and I loved it. I did wear ankle weights and 1lb hand weights the entire time and bounced a little hard/faster than SB. For the moves I pretty much followed the advanced moves. There is another woman in the video..she does advanced and SB tones it down. Some of the moves were really hard! Total time was 69 minutes and 425 calories. Today I did the most recent Cathe Live Kickbox Crunch Cardio I think the name was. Wanted to use my heavy bag but the glove really messes with my Apple Watch so ended up just using 1lb hand weights. This was an awesome workout. Lots of kicks and really worked the abs throughout. I followed up with 13 minues of a SB streaming bounce intervals but did my own upper body moves (bis, tris, lateral) when she did barre. My legs were tired from the day before. Total time 66 minutes and 555 calories! Sweet!

Deb....glad Kylee did well. I bet she is a cutie. I was planning to continue with the S&S but SB just came out with her rotation. So going to start hers and throw in S&S where I can.

Judy...glad the adjustment is working. Would never have thought to switch bikes. They could make all the difference.

Carolyn...glad you made it safely. 7 hours in a car really exhasts you whether you are driving or not. Nice you will be sepnding time with your grandchildren.

Valerie...that is awesome you received your fridge so quickly. So nice! I would never have thought to turn the water off on the ice maker. Corn dogs are so bad for you but oh so yummy!!

Diane Sue...hope you are feeling better. I love having cute bra colors! I am one of those people that has to match everything so I pretty much have every color bra imaginable! The 25th will be here before you know it!

Have a great day all!

Last edited:
Guess I am probably the only person who never had a corn dog. I always thought they were funny looking, but I don't remember seeing them when I was young. maybe Wisconsin didn't have corn dogs?
I was so pleased they were able to deliver the fridge so quickly. we bought it at about 10 am and it was being installed by 3 pm. He told us "maybe" the same day, but I didn't expect it to happen. I like the new one a lot. same size but much roomier inside and the fridge was my last white appliance. the washer and dryer are now the oldies. diane sue, we did the same fix on our dryer, new belt and vacuumed it all out ... quite a few years ago and it is still running.

we did a walk/.hike this morning, 90 minutes at a local park. pretty steep up and down so not just a stroll. not "killer" either.

Deb the peoples pharmacy column in the paper today had comments from two people who had heartburn /GI issues and fixed the problem by using probiotics. I am not saying you should try this .... this is just anecdotal. No way to tell if their problem is the same as your problem. you don't want to make your situation worse! but it may be worth asking your doctor about it when you see him. one of those things that may be worth a shot as long as it doesn't cause harm.

No workout today again. I was still not feeling well I think the cough is getting better this evening. I slept so much yesterday and was surprised when I got up this morning and still had my watch on and it said I slept 9 hours. I guess I needed the rest.

Valerie, I will have to look harder for the white balsamic vinegar. The regular one is always sort of ugly when poured on a salad. I worked out okay subbing white wine vinegar this time. I am not a corn dog or hot dog fan myself. I think they are all scrap meats ground up and put in a casing. I think that corn dogs were always something more popular with children because they are on a stick. We have a friend from Wisconsin and he was always bringing back brats and having us over to grill them. All of our kitchen appliances are stainless steal even down to the blenders and mixers etc.. Now that dryer is blue. We had a frontloading washer and dryer set that were both blue. When we replaced the washer we just got white. Fortunately they are in a laundry cabinet with the doors closed.

Deb, I bet it was cute watching Kylee do her agility class yesterday. I am hoping to go through all of the S&S series soon. Probably light on upper body though.

Judy, it does seem like so much is going around right now. I don't get sinus headaches often, but I have had one for 3 days. I have been using a humidifier which seems to help a little. I did break down and take a half dose of Niquil last night. That is probably why I slept so much. It left me dizzy this morning.

Lorie, the gloves mess with my Fit Bit too. I do have some other gloves that are not as padded as my Everlast gloves that I have used and worked with the watch on. I have to put my Fit Bit a little higher on my wrist. That bounce workout sounds great. Nice calorie burn too. Yes, the 25th will be here soon. 10 days and counting :)

diane sue... as I recall ....the last time I bought white balsamic it was just stacked in with all the specialty vinegars like sherry and raspberry and not a special bottle size or shape. the dark balsamic is way more obvious.

sausage. I never ate sausage again after reading that book... can't think of the name right now .... (eta The jungle ) cannot stand brats, or actually any kind of sausage or "lunch meat" or bacon or jerky or pork. .. those awful sandwiches with ham or mortadella...gack. all those school years I never had a choice. I hate grease! can't even stand 2 % milk. sausage stuff made out of who knows what body parts. ugh. that may be part of why I never found corn dogs appealing. sorry, it's a strong subject for me.it was kind of heresy in Wisconsin not to eat brats or other sausage but I absolutely hate all of them. Especially liver sausage and bratwurst

Last edited:
Good morning,

Yesterday I did S&S Cardio Slam ( No Mat) premix.

Judy, what did the chiropractor say about what could be causing the pain that you got?

Lori, great workouts! I watched the clip of that Live kickbox workout and it looked good. I would do it without a bag of course. I need to go over to the list and see how long it is. We don't have corn dogs here...but one time while we were in California visiting John's parents, we were at the boardwalk at Santa Cruz and John got one...I took one bite..ewwww...that is all I can say. I guess if you grew up with them its a different story.

Valerie, I think corn dogs must be a coastal thing...LOL I have been taking probiotics since 2013...maybe I am not taking enough? An easy fix if it works.

Diane Sue, I would say you did need that rest! 9 hours of sleep sounds like heaven to me.

Dr appointment this morning, then maybe going to John's office for more training.

Take care,

Valerie my grandfather we or ked in a lunch meat factory once and I remember him saying hot dogs and bolognese and that sort of thing was the stuff you would scrape off the floor. I am hoping he did not mean that quite literally , but it has stuck in my head most of my lif e. I still eat bacon that is nitrate and sugar free. Sometimes I will buy center cut if the other is not available and I need some for recipes. I like to grind chicken or use ground turkey or pork to make my own sausage. I have ground pork roast so I could get it leaner. It is simple with my food processor. I keep a jar of sausage seasoning I made just for making it. I recently bought fund raiser bacon from my granddaughter because I hated the greasy sausage. I gave half to my daughter and kept cooking small batches of it, only to throw it in the trash. I put it in my sweet and salty broccoli salad and found myself picking it out. It had an ammonia taste to me. I cut the lean off the fat and it still did not taste right.

Deb, good luck at the doctors appointment. I have yet to skip the Mat section of cardio slam. I feel I am modifying so much that I need the extra time.

Good Morning,
Still no workout but I am really enjoying myself here with the children. This house is small every corner is full. With the kids out of school for weekend and MLK day it hasn't been possible. Deb, my granddaughter is 8 and grandson is 5.

Valerie I remember that book about sausage making. It will certainly make you think twice about what you are eating. I do the same as Diane Sue and make my own from ground turkey or chicken. I have also used lean ground pork. I have found recipes for breakfast sausage on line and in some of my cookbooks. I think of corn dogs as State Fair food. We had them on occasion when I was growing up and my kids would ask for them as a treat because they rarely had them.

Diane Sue, I've seen white balsamic at some regular stores with the other vinegars. I have some that I purchased from an olive oil and vinegar speciality store. I was surprised to learn that there are so many of the olive oil stores around these days. Mine is called Branch and Vine. The white balsamic is not as potent as regular but I like both.

Tonight is swim team and tomorrow evening is violin lessons. I am headed out to drive the route ahead of time so that I know where I am going. Enjoy your day.

Deb I was thinking you might be taking probiotics already... was it after the c diff problem? Hope your doc has something new to try. the weight loss will be convincing to him that you are not making this up. I don't take probiotics myself but if I had a long course of antibiotics I think I would to restore normal bacteria.

I went completely vegetarian for quite a few years. I already didn't like meat . I've added chicken and a little fish back in the last few years. Maybe corn dogs are a coastal thing? I don't remember seeing them here but we don't go to places like state fairs, that would offer them. they are like a hot dog on a stick with some kind of batter over them , right? when I first moved west, I tried to get into seafood but failed at most of it. tuna, clams, oysters, mussels, crab don't work for me although I gamely tried all. I eat a piece of salmon occasionally but DH absolutely hates the smell.

DH is having his annual physical this morning and then we have to move landscape bricks again. last time this year, a second short wall is almost done. we picked up a load yesterday. when DH pulled the truck into the garage I noticed there was water sloshing inside a tail light. (I am sometimes strangely observant about things like that!) it wasn't obvious. saw "motion" lit up when he braked. we drained it but can't figure why water got in there to begin with so he will take the part to a dealer and see if there is a washer missing. I

Today I still am not feeling so great. I did SS Giant Sets Lower body mix 34 minutes, 136 calories and SB barre amped power stretch, 24 minutes, 64 calories. 58 minutes total, 200 calories.

Carolyn, that is the ages of my two next to the youngest grandchild. They play well together, although they are not brother and sister which makes a difference. I like driving a route ahead of time as well. I have never seen an olive oil store before. I know I read all of the time that the olive oil in grocery stores is quite often not pure olive oil or fresh. The brand of corn dogs I buy for the children is called State Fair brand. They taste better than others. I have made gluten free corn dogs using kosher hot dogs and my own batter that turned out well

Valerie, I gather that you use more fresh foods. Corn dogs are usually frozen and in the freezers with things like chicken nuggets and fish sticks. When we go to the state fair I always prefer to eat before we go and when we get home. It always smells like fried food when you walk by the food vendors. They tend to fry everything including the desserts. I like most sea food but it has to be good quality. Walmart does not have good sea food. I can eat their shrimp and force myself to eat the salmon. Schwan's has decent seafood. When I was getting Schwan's delivered I always got orange roughy and mahi mahi, both are pretty mild tasting fish. I also liked their shrimp as it was peeled and tail off precooked. Otherwise I feel like I am eating sand or something along with it. I accidentally bought a big bag of Texas shrimp from Sprouts not realizing I had to cook them as well as remove the shells and all of those little leg things. It was gross. I could hardly eat them. I kept thinking of our banded shrimp wandering around in the aquarium. I used to eat lots of canned tuna because it is easy to add to veggies or a salad etc.. Lately I read that canned tuna and salmon are not so healthy so I have backed off of it. I only picked the albacore in particular brands that did not come out all watery. I would worry about something getting shorted out with water inside the light.

we thought about it shorting out too, and it would happen at some really inconvenient time. surprised it hadn't already, there was a lot of water inside. got a replacement light today. washer that sealed it wasn't replaceable.

I DO use a lot of fresh things. I don't eat deep fried food ever. I keep a few convenience things for emergencies. some breaded tilapia, spinach ravioli, garden burgers, black bean burgers. DH runs screaming from shrimp and calls tuna "cat food". neither of us like mayonnaise. so often fish gets paired with some form of mayo. I think DH is a 'supertaster" one of those people with very sensitive palates. he didn't like mahi mahi either, not sure I remember why.

off to do a workout of some kind. Deb, hope you got some kind of new approach after todays appt. did anything the nutritional gurus offer help at all?

Good eveming ladies!

Today was a rest day. Got up early but was not feeling it. So I had coffee with my puppy and chihuahua. :). They enjoyed it.

Deb...really hoping you get some resolution. Haha on not liking the corndog. I did grow up with them and I do like them. Can't remember the last time I had one.

Diane Sue...so sorry you still are not feeling better. Good for you managing to get in a good workout. I bet you really can't wait to be feeling your self again. It will be here before you know it. I really want to wear my glove with my watch! I think I am going to cut my glove and make it work. It may or I may ruin a pair of gloves. I have a lighter weight pair that I may try it on first.

Valerie...I pretty much like deep fried everything! We usually do a fried turkey at Thanksgiving. One year after we fried the Turkey and filtered the oil, my friend visiting and I fried twinkie and oreos. Both were delicious! Not some thing you can eat everyday though. Fried fish with tons of ketchup is my favorite way to eat fish. My husband can't watch me eat it! Again, not something I have very often. You do seem to be very observant. Was the light cracked a bit to allow the water?

Carolyn...glad you are enjoying your grandchildren.

Have a great night all!

did the cycle sweat spin, 40 knee pushups and core 1 from x train. Done!!

Ha Lori you better not stop working out! I've never had deep fried desserts.... maybe fried ice cream once? didn't like it. It's pretty unusual for me to eat fried anything. sautéed in a pan, but not breaded and deep fried. I like it.... but decided not to eat it. I don't eat french fries either. rarely... breaded fried fish.... I like it with ketchup too. Never had a deep fried turkey although I know they are pretty popular.

No light wasn't cracked, the water must have run down the inside edges of the tailgate, got in where a washer/seal thingie had fallen out of place and dropped down inside the light. no idea how long it's been like that. as he was braking, it lit up and I saw strange movement. DH is still shaking his head saying, "how'd you spot that? " I'm kinda proud of myself. makes up for all the obvious things I totally missed!.

Valerie, I keep a few convenience canned foods for my husband. I on the other hand am good if there is some potatoes I can make into soup or eat a baked potato. I always have salad on hand. I guess my convenience food is protein powder or meal replacement powder for when I am not feeling putting together something.. I do not like most store mayonnaise. When I tried vegetarian diet for awhile I found that I really like Vegannaise. I make my mayonnaise with almond or walnut oil. The flavor is better. When I fix fish I sometimes like to use pesto on it or some other sauces that I have recipes for. But, then I mostly just cook it up in coconut oil or butter, depending o the fish, and add lots of pepper. I always dumped the tuna on lettuce and added some nuts and dried cranberries with a little dressing. They do tend to mix it with mayonnaise a lot of the time. I have made a sandwich roll up using a brown rice tortilla spread with hummus and tuna, no mayonnaise. I love black bean burgers. That is great that you noticed that water in the light. It is not something most people would catch.

Lorie, my husband tried to get the grandchildren to like dipping their corn dogs in mustard. I think they all migrated toward ketchup or nothing. I do not like ketchup. My husband goes through a lot of it. Since he has been on the diet I have him eating way less of it. It has a lot of sugar in it. I have tried to keep his sugars more along the line of eating just fruit. I don't even remember liking it much when I was a child. Once in awhile when we go out I will treat myself to onion rings or sweet potato fries. I used to have a fryer and made French fries for the family all of the time. My husband still asks why I don't do it anymore. I told him it's not good for him and it uses an awful lot of oil since I don't reuse it over and over. I remember those fry baby things that even came with a lid to cover the oil. I think by the time the oil is heated to those high temps anything good in it nutrition wise is gone. Too much of that type of food does not agree with me anymore. It probably contributed somewhat to the acid reflux I was dealing with.
I know what you mean about the weight of the gloves. My others are not as heavy as the Everlast gloves. One pair has plenty of padding and exposes the fingers so I can push the buttons on the remote. With the non Everlast ones I have to not hit the bag as hard. I have actually bloodied my knuckles punching the bag. I tried the hand wrap gloves inside but the gloves are too tight to fit those inside. IT is very uncomfortable and hard to get it all back off.
Yes, I am anxious to get my health and everything back to normal. I think with the lymph node issue, then the surgery , my immune system is on some sort of roller coaster. I usually am the one that manages to not get all of the viruses.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday. Worked at the office after the DR appointment, just to get a little more training in. The Dr scheduled me for a CT of lower body, including gall bladder, having it Thursday, If nothing else, it will eliminate things I guess. I know of 5 people that had continuous heartburn and it ended up being their gall bladder, which they all had removed and were fine afterwards. So who knows?

Diane Sue, why did you cook the bacon before throwing it out?

Carolyn, we have a couple of those olive oil specialty stores here too, one is called "D'Avilio"...I bet you had a busy 3 day with the kids at home.

Valerie, yes, I started the probiotics after the C-Diff problem. Strange that the water got in there....good thing it didn't do any harm to the electronics. I tis hard to tell if the changes made with advice from the NG worked or not. I still have good days, and bad. Sometimes a stretch of 3 or 4 good days when I think I have turned a corner, then Wham....hit with a bad day. I can't connect it to any specific food.

Lori, hope you start feeling better soon.

Working again this morning in John's office.

Take care,

Deb, I cooked the bacon, sampled some and threw it away. I just couldn't smell it and eat it. Maybe they will find that it is not necessarily a particular food. It takes so long getting all of those tests done trying to find the problem.

DH had his physical yesterday, and got his labs back later in the day. he has been eating a lot more goodies lately..I have NOT.... and his lipid levels went up significantly. he's gotten in the habit of an afternoon snack of hot chocolate and M&Ms or cookies, ice cream for dessert later, plus a mid morning snack of some kind of baked thing, like sweet bread, pie, you name it. and frappachinos! I don't indulge. I leave the room most of the time. I have... at most.... a sip of the hot chocolate, bottom tip of the ice cream cone. Anyway, he will be cleaning up his diet. he doesn't gain weight like I do, but his blood lipids go up, and he has been there before. then he tries to blame me! that doesn't go very far here! we always have some indulgences around but he's been eating more goodies more often. he's an adult...I don't want to assume role of the food police. I make him good meals with lots of fresh vegies, fruit, not rich fatty stuff. if he eats half a bag of M&M's washed down with starbucks hot chocolate, it's not my fault.

Deb, I think it's past time they do some scans and see if there is something causing this ongoing problem. no one looks forward to surgery but meds sure aren't doing much for you. you are being such a good soldier by doing workouts when you can.
there is all this empty space inside the tail lights. the manual talks about some occasional moisture condensation, but this was an inch of water at the bottom of the light.

I imagine there are olive oil specialty stores here too. I don't need to find one!

ETA Diane sue... I bought some of the liquid aminos today for DH. he thinks soy sauce is a migraine trigger. do you use the same amount as soy sauce or tamari? or is it weaker or stronger?

Last edited:
Today I did Travel Fit. It's perfect for the limited floor space that I had and was a good workout. Amazing what you can do with a band.

Valerie I laughed when I read about your husband wanting you to be responsible for his cholesterol. My husband will often do the same with his diet. He does gain weight and will wonder how it happened! I am not as disciplined as you with my eating. I will have an occasional planned treat or dessert, but I don't buy candy or snacks.

Tomorrow we will be going home. Getting back to a normal routine will be good.

Today I did All Out Low Impact Hiit, 39 minutes, 260 calories. I had to make myself go out and get some shopping done and hit the UPS store. I would really rather have just sat at home.

Valerie, I use the same amount of the Braggs liquid aminos? When I use coconut aminos I use more because it does not have a really strong taste, so if you want more flavor add more. My husband loves the m & m candy with peanuts. Funny, he saw an advertisement this weekend and wanted to know if we had any. It is a good thing that I do the shopping. He really does have a lot better will power than I do though. He has been grabbing a glass of milk every once in awhile. I don't know why he loves it so much. I tell him the calories and fat is not worth it. I occasionally make him snacks that are healthier. Yesterday I put together a paleo pumpkin coffee cake. My problem with that stuff is the ingredients are so expensive. This was a good recipe I found on Pinterest but I wouldn't recommend him eating it all of the time. He likes to snack so I have kept watermelon diced up till recently since it is out of season and now he eats lots of grapes. I don't know why green grapes are so much more expensive than red right now. I spend half as much on me some red grapes as the the green I buy for him. I fill in with some sugar free Jello mousse that I make for him with a healthier cool whip version and a cream cheese greek yogurt blend that I buy. It is a better snack alternative. I did find some white balsamic vinegar at Sprouts but did not purchase it right now. It was 13.00 for a tiny bottle. I wonder why it is so much more than all of the other vinegars? I don't like policing the food either. I do get upset when I am working at the diet asked for and then I hear complaints when what I make tastes good or he stops at McDonalds for a treat. All in all my husband does really well and this time he has done great. I just want him to stay that way and not gain it all back. He has set a challenge for my grandson to keep his off in that in July they have to pay each other so much money for every pound they gain back. So far my grandson is sticking with it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.