Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 1/10

Good morning. we are still home this morning, not raining yet but not sure if we will do what we planned.

the check I sent to my sister on 12/13 finally got there, shredded and mangled from getting snagged somewhere in processing equipment. I put a stop pay on original and sent a new check Wed. sent registered mail. supposed to be there friday or saturday, but not there yet. this time I have a tracking number. her neighborhood gets terrible mail service. She baked cookies and coffee cakes for a number of people and now is on a tirade because she hasn't gotten "thank you's" from anyone. I tried to calmly explain that expecting written notes is asking a lot. she should settle for verbal thanks and let it go.

Carolyn, my feelings exactly. this weeks events are tremendously upsetting and beyond concerning. "Agreeing to disagree" seems to have lost a lot of ground lately.

Deb you haven't mentioned your doggies lately. are they doing Ok?

Rest day number two here. I do feel better both emotionally and physically today. I had planned to do yoga this morning but that didn’t work out for a few reasons.

Deb, thanks for getting us started today. I hope that things are going well for you.

Valerie, it’s good that the check finally arrived even in poor condition. At least you know where it is. I wanted to major in history in college, but eventually changed my mind. I have done a lot of reading on many topics and I am very concerned about our country. The phrase “how democracies die” is something that keeps coming back to me. It’s a very unsettling time.

Hello to Judy, Cathy, Diane Sue, and Lori.

Hi all,

Today I did Perfect Pump Upper Body, 31 minutes, 180 calories.

Valerie, were you able to get out today? We have had unusually dry weather here. Temps 20-25, but no snow, or rain. Actually sunny yesterday and today. Dogs are good, Fritz is really liking his new cage. :). I donated the one that we got that was too small to the SPCA.

Carolyn, I hope you are feeling better soon.

Hi to Diane Sue, Cathy, Judy and Lori,

Take care,

Hi Everyone,

Today is a rest day for me. We did some grocery shopping this morning and I've been getting caught up on things at home this afternoon. I plan on doing Yin Yoga tonight.

Deb-Nice job with Perfect Pump Upper Body. It's been cold and dry here too. We had sun yesterday. It was more overcast today.

Carolyn-I've always loved studying history. I agree this is a very unsettling time. I pray for a return to something closer to normal soon, both with the pandemic, and with politics.

Valerie-The Christmas cards that I ordered from Hallmark in November arrived yesterday. They were supposed to be here Dec. 8th. I'll save them for next year, I'm just glad they got here.

Hi to Diane Sue, Cathy & Lori

Hi everyone! It’s been a rough week in so many ways, but I got my workouts in. Nick is packing up to head north in the morning and we’re moving stuff out of the way for the furnace installers. Yesterday I did Live Love Me Some Cardio Kickboxing followed by the Lying Stretch from Step Boss. Today I moved up my STS Disk 4, because there will be no working out tomorrow downstairs. Going to try doing a low impact kickbox workout in the kitchen. DH will be working in the living room and neither bedroom has enough space. Should be interesting. I’ll be spending most of my day keeping tabs on Nick. Thankfully the weather looks like smooth sailing all the way up for him. Debating what to do about a room. Or should I say when to reserve it. Cheapest rate after tomorrow leaves me with basically no ability to cancel, and the governor/health department haven’t officially decided to change things so the kids can be in their dorms starting Friday. Bonus fun. I apparently left or dropped my credit card the other day and someone must have contacted Chase because all of a sudden the card was locked. I hadn’t even realized it was missing. New one on its way, but I doubt it will arrive by Thursdays mail.

Valerie it’s too bad you’ve had to jump through so many hoops with the check to your sister. And so much junk mail no one cares about and they mangle a check. Ugh. Sadly, some people can never be happy. Sounds like a great hike you had yesterday. Porpoises! How cool.

Carolyn sound like yoga was an excellent choice.

Diane Sue do you have a portable charger you can use on his tablet? Or just leave the charger plugged in? Hope you had an enjoyable time with family today. FOUR remotes? I have enough trouble with two.

Deb great job on the Perfect Pump Upper Body workout!

Wow Judy that is a long time for the cards to get to you. My brothers-in-law live about two hours from us and it took 16 days for their card to reach us.

Judy that's a ridiculously long time! I'm kind of annoyed because the replacement check I sent registered is running late too. the tracking said it was not to USPS yet. will look tomorrow morning.

Cathy if someone picked up the card and started charging things, that will initiate a lock pretty quickly. you aren't responsible for bad charges but still nice to know cc people are on their toes. Hope it comes on thursday as its supposed to! Mail is slow . We had several lock downs when we still had our card and were unaware of any problem but someone stole the number .

I had an awful pathetic history background, and when I got to college I didnt have space for many electives, mostly all required classes. Ive gotten much more interested now and really enjoy it. Ive been too lazy todo much organized study on my own.

Deb, I could have gotten out but the sky cleared later in the day, too late for us to ride. we were scheduled to zoom with cousin, and seemed like everyone else in the family called today to talk, and you KNOW what was the first subject brought up. I'm glad to see so many people are taking this as seriously as I think it should be taken. I am hoping there are major security upgrades for congress and for the inauguration. so many crazy people out there that are armed.

I did 30 on the elliptical and x train abs.

Last edited:
Good morning,

Today I did Live Quick Fix Cardio, 32 minutes, 221 calories. I like this one a lot.

Judy, wow, that was a long time for those Christmas cards to get to you! It seems like some states are worse than other. Fingers crossed, we have not had any problems with the mail.

Cathy, that is a good thing that someone contacted the credit card company....did any fraudulent charges go on the card before it was closed?

Valerie, Carolyn, I am thinking about signing up for WW digital membership. My cousin signed up and they have a lot of special rates offered now. If I do it, I am sure I will need some assistance! LOL.

Hi to Diane Sue, & Lori.

Take care,

Today I did RWH Plyo HiiT One which was 27 minutes and 184 calories burned. Average heart rate was 128 and maximum heart rate was 151. I considered doing another cardio and avoid the plyo but decided to do this one and modify as needed. I’m glad that I stuck with it. After that I did Jane Adams Gentle Yoga, Evening Practice. That was 29 minutes and an additional 39 calories.

Cathy, I’m glad that your credit card was locked! You have a lot going on today. Hopefully the furnace installation won’t take too long.

Deb, nice job with Live Quick Fix Cardio. If you decide to join WW it will be good to have a buddy (your cousin) doing it with you.

Hello to Valerie, Diane Sue, Judy, and Lori. Have a nice day everyone.

good morning.
Deb I think you will like WW. there were no close- by meeting places when I signed up the third time. I would have always done digital. there are good things about meetings but nothing close by for me. I've asked Carolyn some questions and used the chat feature. posted questions on the connect feature that comes with the program. my previous times I made tracking too hard and got tired of too much time entering things. I'm on the purple plan that has a lot of free foods. it allows me to stay on track with less time entering things. there are 3 color plans that differ in how structured they are.
I signed up WW last time on a 3 month special. enough time to get familiar and see if it works for you. the program works really well on my iphone. I (finally!) lost a pound on weigh in today. Ive been at a plateau for a long time and very close to goal so loss slows WAY down for me. DH is doing it with me now and he lost around 10 pounds in about a month, something that took me 6 months. men!! isnt there another free service? I tried it but didn't like it very much. WW is more clear and works better without ads.
there are parts of the WW program I ignore and other parts I'm diligent about. like I track the salad dressing I use, but I don't bother tracking lettuce, tomato, "free" vegetables and fruits. I KNOW what I put in my nightly salad. it will seem like a lot at first but it settles down to being "normal" in a few weeks, and things you eat regularly show up at the top of the list. .

I agree some states have a bigger mail problem than others. I have not seen issues out here in the west, but if it goes thru the midwest, gridlock somewhere happens.

its weird but I'm doing much better with the 4 remotes than I did with three. apparently my brain log jam has cleared out, and this seems less confusing. still lots of remotes!

Last edited:
Well today was not exactly as planned. On the plus side, we have a working furnace, Derek got a job offer from the dining hall, Nick is back in his apartment, had his COVID test and works the next 6 days in a wrong at the dining hall. On the down side, Nick had to take my car. He went out to load the Prius this morning and somehow yesterday, the passenger door didn't get fully closed and it's dead. He had a deadline for leaving and the furnace people were going to be showing up, and my portable charger has a little short cord for cars with normal batteries. The Prius battery is buried, but there's an easily accessible place to jump it, but the ground is so far away it wouldn't work, so it was easier for him to take my car and I'll switch with him Friday. That means that I have to learn to drive the Prius, which is somewhat different than a regular gasoline vehicle to drive. In a role reversal, Derek who has driven it once the whole 5 miles into town and back, will show me the basics on Wednesday. Really hoping that weird things stop happening!

The most logical happening with my card is that I left it or dropped it at the dealership when I got my oil changed Tuesday. Not sure why they wouldn't just call and tell me they had it, but maybe it's easier to just contact the company and report it lost rather than to have to keep track of it. No, there were no charges. I had that happen a few years ago and they called me within an hour of someone trying to use it, and it was locked and a new card sent before the charges even went on it.

Poor cats had a rough day. Chester fled out the pet door, finally came back a few minutes ago, but he's now left again. Mopsy left, but came in and out a few times. Flopsy, the only one who is always indoors, couldn't settle down until I finally got her in Derek's room with him and she spent hours in there on the bed. Muppet is around 16 years old and could have cared less what anyone did. Mostly just parked himself on the couch snoring.

And no workout. The whole day was just out of whack. Tomorrow I'll do cardio, then Wednesday and Thursday get in the other two STS workouts for the week. Nothing Friday or Saturday since I'll be on the road. Unless I manage something in my room. I can actually get a king size bed for the same price as a standard room, and I may just do that.

And that is the saga of my day. LOL

I have a busy week and appointments. If I am not here, it is just that I can't get here. Today I split my workout. Half before zoom class and half afterward. I started with Raw Lift and Box,(I thought that I had done it before and I was correct) It was 39 minutes(34 actual), heart rate 101/157, 109 calories, 1, 271 steps. Second workout was Cathe Live #101 Step and Pump just the warm up and cardio no blasts or weights, then the stretch with the superman move in the middle of it, 30 minutes, heart rate 128/179, 152 calories, 2,702 steps. Total time was 69 minutes, 261 calories, 3, 973 steps. I still hit steps at 10,518 steps so far today. The yard people came back and took out some of the sod and dug down and leveled again. They put in new sod, but when the left there was so much mud all over the drive and up the walk way. Lots of dirt. I spent this afternoon trying to clean it up after afternoon zoom and math.
As far as Lift N Box quick fix, it is only okay imo. Music is meh, plus hard on my neck and shoulders with the egg weight boxing.

Lift N Box quick fix 34 minutes
timed work at 50 /10 using a barbell, moderate dumbbells, and egg weights.
lateral raise/connected front raise 8# dbs (me 5#"s)
side lunge/kickbacks 8# dbs alternating
boxing with egg weights (me 1# dumbbells)
barbell 25# push press
dips using the barbell
boxing with egg weights 1#dbs me
single/double pledge curls 12# dbs
lunge and row 12# dbs
boxing egg weights (me 1# dbs)
barbell curls 25#
barbell bend and row 25#
boxing egg weights me 1# dbs
to the floor
flies pinkies in 12# dbs
bridges 12# dbs on hips
bench press barbell 25#
feet on barbell bridges
feet anchored with barbell sit ups/ punches with egg weights
plank/down dog/ toe touch
child pose/cobra

Judy, that is ridiculous that the Christmas cards took that long to arrive. I ordered Christmas Cards and some birthday cards from Amazon and had them here in two days. I guess that is not USPS though. I just ordered some coffee that my husband was saying they were talking about at work that is really good. Amazon has it for a hefty price and I just went straight to the company which I think is in Utah. Hoping it does not take too long. I figured it would be fresh getting it from the company that roasts and ships fresh than going through Amazon.

Cathy, I have a battery for the laptop. It had some water droplets in it when I took it off. The laptop started yesterday and shut down while I was gone and will not start again. I had just plugged it in to use it. I would be happy to replace the battery if I could turn it on when I plug it in. it has a lot of my workouts that I have put in my documents on it. Sorry about the CC. I lost mine in a restaurant more recently and had to call and the manager had it in his office. I think it fell out of my purse pocket when I was getting something out for my husband after we had went and purchased my recliner and then to lunch.
Sometimes when things are so crazy and the day is turned upside down, it is best to take a rest day rather than adding it into the midst of stress. I do not like to drive cars that I am not used to. I have had to drive my husband's Taurus a few times when I loaned my car to my grandson and taking it very far feels so uncomfortable to me. I feel like I am sitting low and peering over the steering wheel. It has all of those buttons and automatic features. I like my little Chevy Spark and it has nice big windows to see out of. Easy to park and get through small spaces, bright blue so it is easy to find unless sandwiched between a couple of SUVs.

Deb, I really liked the Live Cardio Quick Fix too.

Carolyn, I always found the RWH Plyo Hiit workout that was hard to get into was the one with the step. No way can I do all of that leaping with both feet over the step without getting knee repercussions. But, one can always modify through some of these and that is great that you stuck with Plyo Hiit 1.

Valerie, I think it takes the body more energy to burn those calories from things like lettuce and tomatoes than the calories consumed. Just like celery which you would not need to really count the calories for.
I just get out the remotes I need at the time and leave the others up on the book shelves. I was starting to wonder where my husbands medicare bill was for the quarter and it finally showed up today. Usually I have it mailed out near the beginning of the month. So mail is kind of slow. I am sure the slowness is more pronounced in certain post office areas over others.

I'm trying to remember what the free app was...my fitness pal or buddy? I wanted more structure than it gave me.

Deb, tons of 'free" foods on WW. most in the purple plan. I go heavy on fruit which is maybe why my weight loss has slowed. there are enough options for anyone to get plenty to eat. some lose faster than others. mostly I wanted to take off about 15 pounds that had been hanging around for a long time 20-30 yrs but I did not want to rebound as soon as I stopped the program. got stuck at 15 over what is best for me. I've stayed on WW for a long time, 14 months. . I've changed eating habits. I eat greek yogurt and fruit for breakfast now and it stays much better for me than oatmeal. lots of protein and I love the tartness with berries. I eat less bread, crackers and cheese. less wine. none are "bad" foods but I over did. things that worked at 30 may not work at 70+. I am now within 2 lbs of goal weight. not sure if I will try to go a little lower. I don't want to struggle to maintain.
I track some zero point foods but not all. if I make a recipe that is mostly zero points, I dislike entering all that data. I look at the ingredients with points and divide them by how many servings. that will be close enough. previously I felt I had to enter every recipe and it was overwhelming since I cook from scratch.

If I trade in my subaru I'd look at prius. car seating moved to bigger people. some models don't adjust to fit "small". we bought a Ford Ranger truck for MT a year ago. we first looked at toyota Tacoma, assuming that was what we'd buy. we owned two of them in the '90's and loved them. I couldn't see over the hood. no matter how much I adjusted. we looked at the Tundra, no better. went to Ford. the Ranger was more adjustable and fit pretty well. I am a little shorter than I used to be but not that much! the cabs are designed for bigger people. I could drive the toyo in a pinch but would not buy one. o I wouldn't assume anything. I even had issues with the subaru Outback. the forester fit better so this is not just about brand or model.
so diane sue I can relate to your feelings about the Spark!

Today I did RWH Back, Biceps, and Shoulders, 2 sets and no finishers. That was 37 minutes and 175 calories burned. My average heart rate was 119 and maximum heart rate was 138.

Cathy, your day was definitely full of surprises. Not working out was probably a good idea. Good luck with driving the Prius up to your son. I hate driving unfamiliar vehicles and it causes me to feel stressed and tense. At least you have the new furnace installed.

Diane Sue, nice job with Raw Lift and Box and Live Step and Pump. It’s great that you are able to fit in your workouts with all that is going on. Plyo HiiT One doesn’t use the step which is why I decided to do it. It was easy for me to modify when I needed to do so.

Deb, Valerie has given good advice on WW. I follow the green plan and find that it works best for my mental style. Blue was the only plan for a couple of years and I was always annoyed by it. I want my zero points foods to actually be low in calorie, which is not chicken breast or brown rice. You will find what works best for you. Take advantage of all that the website offers to help you really understand the program. I track zero points foods in my meals, but not when I am creating a recipe.

Valerie it’s great that you are close to your goal weight. Understanding and accepting that you are making changes that you can live with and not doing something temporary is key.

Hello to Judy and Lori.

Hi all,

Today I did Live Burn Sets Legs Express Heavy Weights, 34 minutes, 175 calories. Had my yearly renal ultrasound and appointment with the urologist yesterday. No change from last year, but she was very pleased that I have not had a UTI for 8 months!! Yay!! :)

Carolyn, nice job sticking with the Plyo Hiit workout and doing modifications! I put the WW on hold for now. Too many things to figure out, and look into etc. I think I will try to go back to MyFitnessPal and work from there. I think a lot of my issue is that you can't do it on a desk top computer. That is where I feel the most comfortable.

Valerie, great job on getting so close to your goal weight! I just kept getting to the "pay now" part of signing up, and for some reason could not "click" that button to move on. I don;t want another app to learn, and it just seems overwhelming to me right now. They have a lot of specials going on now....buy 2 months, get one free etc. Right about men! Just stop drinking one beer a day and they lose 20 pounds in a month!

Cathy, Congrats on the working furnace! It does seem like a lot of weird things have been happening....a lot of them around cars! Are the cats allowed to go out the cat door and come back when they want to?

Waving to Judy & Lori,

Take care

Diane Sue, nice job with the KCM and Cathe Live workouts! What is happening with the sod that makes them have to do it over?

Deb I track some from my desktop but mobile app works best. some things don't work from desktop, but if I wanted to ask questions from WW service I would use the desktop. the app isn't that hard to use because I'm kind of an idiot. I caught on enough to use it right away but Ive done WW before so I had a good idea how the program worked. some things I don't use. there is always something evolving, not a static program where all remains the same. I dont look often but I dont know if they offer the steep discounts going on now at other times of the year.
congrats on no UTI's. I only had that one episode and have been fine since. Really DH still eats 3x what I eat and is not that tall or big but yes... cuts down on a couple minor things and pounds drop.

today I ran 20 min on the treadmill, did X train Burn sets Bi's and Tri's, and the ab workout.

This morning I did Live Boxing Hiit Express it's only 32 minutes and a really good workout. Mostly all upper body focus. Then I did the Bonus Abs from Step Boss.

Got the Prius jumped this morning and tomorrow I'll figure out how to drive it. I had told Derek I'd have him drive the first part of the trip, but his comment of "oh, I'll have to be awake," really didn't inspire a lot of confidence in the idea. He is not a morning riser and we rarely see him before 10. Rethinking that, plus the fact that we may run into snow a good portion of the trip. Other than our road and going through a few towns in the UP, it'll be all highway driving, so it shouldn't be too bad. I'll be happy to get mine back Friday.

Valerie you are so right about it being hard to see out of a lot of cars. It's one of the things I love about my Yaris. I've got the seat height adjusted up and it fits me perfectly. Worst one though was back in high school, I worked co-op at a car dealership. I did the errands and everyday went and dropped off the deposit at the bank and picked up new license plates. One day the owner, over 80 at the time, gave me the keys to his corvette and told me to take it. I had to go back in and tell him I couldn't because I couldn't see out or even reach the gas. LOL

Diane Sue very nice job on the workout. That's lousy that the sod people left such a mess behind.

Carolyn great job on the workout!

Deb that workout sounds great! I'll have to check it out when I'm done with STS. Yes, the cats have a pet door. I've always kept my cats in and then years ago we inherited cats from the neighbors that had always been outside and didn't know how to use litter boxes. They always went to the door to be let out. Then my husband decided one of ours should go out and it reached the point where I was tired of letting them in and out and we had the pet door put in.

Deb, you can use your phone for WW. I use my iPad or phone and only go to the desktop when I enter recipes. Even that is easier now. It really is a simple program to follow and I believe that they have tutorials for the app. Not trying to convince you to join, but I don’t want you to feel discouraged about it.

Today I did RWH Low Impact HiiT Two which was 29 minutes with 193 calories burned. My average heart rate was 127 and maximum heart rate was 157.

Hello to Everyone and have a wonderful day.

Hi Everyone,

Last night I did Core Max, no equipment and today I did X10, the X52 premix.

Deb-Great job with Live Burn Sets Legs Express Heavy Weights. You are fortunate not to be having issues with USPS. I do believe that Michigan must be one of the worst states for USPS service right now. That is really good news about your renal ultrasound!

Diane Sue-Nice workouts. That’s good to know about the Raw Lift n Box. I’ll probably pass on that one. I really love some of the Raw strength workouts but I haven’t liked the Raw cardio that much. I do like using the egg weights with boxing. We haven’t had any issues with Amazon deliveries, even over the holidays.

Valerie-yes, it was a ridiculously long time to get something delivered. We still have other things out there that are running late too.

Carolyn-Nice job with the RWH workouts this week.

Cathy-Great job with Live Boxing Hiit Express. I downloaded that one and plan to do it soon. At 32 minutes, it’s perfect for a shorter workout or to add onto another one.

Hi to Lori

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.