palm pain, anyone else get

gettingfitmom

Cathlete
pain in the "meaty" part of your palm when lifting heavy weights? I get this sometimes followed by a slight numbess in forearm for about sn hour after the workout. usually happens after SH biceps and chest I do waer gloves but they are not padded. Any suggestions? Thanks :) Kay

Definitely get some padded weight lifting gloves.

I know exactly what you mean though... that chest section of S&H is tough on the hands and palms. Also, how thick is the handle part of your dumbbell? I have found that when they are too thick, it makes it harder on my grip, which in turn affects my palms and my fingers.

Oh thank goodness I'm not alone. I have this same problem with chest work, . .and push ups. I can do more but I get this stinging sharp pain in my palm. I asked a Dr. about it I thought I may have carpal tunnel sp? but it turns out I don't. My gloves are padded, . . I would be so happy to hear some solutions to this problem.

Definitely get some padded weight lifting gloves.

I know exactly what you mean though... that chest section of S&H is tough on the hands and palms. Also, how thick is the handle part of your dumbbell? I have found that when they are too thick, it makes it harder on my grip, which in turn affects my palms and my fingers.

I would say the handle is about 1". Same w/ my barbell,when using this I feel it during bicep work on the upward part of the movement. I do sleepon my right side w/ my right arm bent under my pillow...this probably doesn't help... I'm going to invest in padded gloves and see if that makes a difference.

Oh thank goodness I'm not alone. I have this same problem with chest work, . .and push ups. I can do more but I get this stinging sharp pain in my palm. I asked a Dr. about it I thought I may have carpal tunnel sp? but it turns out I don't. My gloves are padded, . . I would be so happy to hear some solutions to this problem.

I don't get a stinging pain, more of a dull pain. I figure it's either nerve or muscle...:)I don't think it is carpal tunnel either. I would love some solutions too:)

I had this on my first round of STS this year. I figure it was just from more heavy wts for longer periods of time. It seems to have gone away. I just restarted Meso 1 and it hasn't come back, so hopefully it will stay away.

I also noticed back when I used 12 lbs for chest flys. My 12s have a thicker handle. It starts out regular size, then gets thicker toward the middle grip part, then goes back to regular. That used to bug the heck out of me in MM. The flys combined with the pushups would always make my hand hurt. Now that I use heavier weights - with straight grips/handles, I don't have that problem.

Nan

I get this occassionally also. I use Cathe's lifting gloves but still get hand pain - I just work thru it or add more stretching out of the fingers between.

I'm an occupational therapist that treats hand injuries only. I can't really diagnosis you without examing your hand. The symptoms don't sound like carpal tunnel which is median nerve compression. You would more likely have numbness in your thumb, index, middle finger tips with carpal tunnel.

It sounds more like an ulnar nerve compression which would cause numbness along the pinky side of the forearm/hand and into the little finger and maybe part of the ring finger. It is most likely caused by too much elbow flexion, try position a pillow on your elbow at night too keep your elbow straight. Maybe don't flex your elbow as much during bicep curls, ice your elbow (down where you hit your"funny" bone) after your workout even if that isn't where the pain is.

HTH.

I'm an occupational therapist that treats hand injuries only. I can't really diagnosis you without examing your hand. The symptoms don't sound like carpal tunnel which is median nerve compression. You would more likely have numbness in your thumb, index, middle finger tips with carpal tunnel.

It sounds more like an ulnar nerve compression which would cause numbness along the pinky side of the forearm/hand and into the little finger and maybe part of the ring finger. It is most likely caused by too much elbow flexion, try position a pillow on your elbow at night too keep your elbow straight. Maybe don't flex your elbow as much during bicep curls, ice your elbow (down where you hit your"funny" bone) after your workout even if that isn't where the pain is.

HTH.

Wow how helpful! So glad you chimed in on this. I thought it might be my form. Any thoughts on why I feel it during push ups too? Thanks a bunch!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.