P90X Question

Gobias

Cathlete
I have never done P90X (or anything with Tony Horton), but found it for a good price at a tent sale over the weekend. While reviewing, I notice there are a lot of push-ups & pull-ups. A lot! Are there any recommendations for alternate moves?

I do have a pull-up bar with bands to help me up and also have bands to use instead of a pull-up bar. However, I don't feel I am going to get the results I want by trying to do many many many modifications for pull-ups.

I am able to do straight leg push-ups, but not as many as are in the program and again, I don't feel I am going to get the results I want from doing never ending modified push-ups.

I will do both push-ups and pull-ups in this program, but don't want to do as many as expected and would rather sprinkle in other moves.

Thanks!

Yes there are a lot of pull-ups and push-ups. I did the whole program a few years ago, but I found I was really bored by the end. His voice started to wear on me as well. I got some good results but would never do it again. I would maybe sub in some chest flys and overhead press for the pushups and pull-ups. Good luck with it!

Yes there are a lot of pull-ups and push-ups. I did the whole program a few years ago, but I found I was really bored by the end. His voice started to wear on me as well. I got some good results but would never do it again. I would maybe sub in some chest flys and overhead press for the pushups and pull-ups. Good luck with it!
Yes, this. I got quite bored, and tired of hearing the same gun show joke. I got good results, but won't do it again. Maybe one arm rows, or barbell rows. Like Sherry recommended, flys, and presses.

Hmmm, now I am upset I bought this program! I hate boredom, but thank you all for the responses.

To those who got bored: was it the repetition in each video? Or was it the overall program? I thought with 12 discs, I wouldn't have the boredom factor - until I saw the endless pull-ups & push-ups.

To those who saw results: were they muscle building results or cardio results? The only 2 programs where I see impressive muscle results have been STS and Body Beast. Other programs keep me toned, but don't seem to build muscle like those 2 programs. I am really hoping this has great muscle gains.

Thanks!

Hmmm, now I am upset I bought this program! I hate boredom, but thank you all for the responses.

To those who got bored: was it the repetition in each video? Or was it the overall program? I thought with 12 discs, I wouldn't have the boredom factor - until I saw the endless pull-ups & push-ups.

To those who saw results: were they muscle building results or cardio results? The only 2 programs where I see impressive muscle results have been STS and Body Beast. Other programs keep me toned, but don't seem to build muscle like those 2 programs. I am really hoping this has great muscle gains.

Thanks!
Oh, don't be upset. It may be perfect for you. I like quite a bit of variety in my workout programs, and rotations. It's rare for me to do a full 90 days of any program without throwing a little something new in the mix. Cathe's XTrain was one of the exceptions. I thought the cardio in P90X was kinda lame, and I only did the yoga workout a few times. It was one of my favorites, but at that time, I didn't have 90 minutes to spend working out. I gain muscle very easily, at least I did at that time, so the pull-ups worked for me. If I didn't feel like doing all his pull-ups, I have a cable pull-down, that I used. I really can't put my finger on what I really disliked about it but, I didn't like the set, and after a few weeks, there was a dread factor. Just because I was so bored with it. But I am one of those that has to see every project to the end. (electrical engineer) I was glad when it was done.

As an add-on, I got bored with Body Beast as well. Yea, I know. Workout Attention Deficit Disorder

Last edited:
I liked P90x and received great muscle/strength results. This was my first weighted program I did. I have worked out with Cathe since 1994 and bought ALL her dvds. But only did the cardio. Never did her weight workouts. After P90X I fell in love with weights. Fortunately for me I had a ton of Cathe weight DVD’s that I never did. :). While doing P90x I needed to sub in some workouts for me to stick with it and keep it fresh. Was easy to do while still sticking to the program structure. I did not care for Kenpo so I subbed in a different Cathe Kickboxing each week. I felt Cathe’s Kickboxing was more intense. I also did one of Cathe’s Hiit workouts from her Hiit dvd instead of the Plyo. The yoga was way to long so I shorten to about 45 mins. By doing these three subs I had no issues with boredom and made it thru. I felt so strong when I completed it I then went on to do STS and then Xtrain. At one point my husband asked...Who are you and what have you done with my wife? Lol!

Do you have the Fit Tower? This would be perfect for pullups. I did not have it back then and used bands. Now that I have the FT I love using it for pullups.

Last edited:
I have a lot of Dvd's and Vhs of a lot of instructors. I alternate all of them with my Cathe's , I have 99% of everything Cathe has put out, but also P90X, and many others. I like variety! Variety! Variety!

I also modify modify modify. If I don't like the voice I mute and listen to music. If I don't like the moves, I do different ones.

Thanks to Tony I can now do 2 to 3 sets of semi-pull ups when I work out.

Today as I was doing Cathe and she went to do Lunges again (which I can't do bc of my knee) I did pull ups instead.

Just a thought ;)

I did P90X once all the way through. The boredom, for me, was doing the same workouts for three months. I haven't looked in a long time, but what -- 7 or 8 discs -- over and over and over. Nothing like STS, where you do a new workout every single time.

I wouldn't regret buying it, because you can always do any one disc as a single workout.

I will add that I love the P90X yoga max.

I have a number of Beachbody workouts including P90X and P90X3. I have never followed the recommended programs. You repeat the workouts, sometimes up to 10 times, during a 3 month program and I find that boring. I tend to use these as single workouts. Cathe's STS is the only program I have actually followed for 3 months. It is only in the strength mesocycle that the workouts are repetitive but you are also challenging yourself to lift heavier so I didn't get bored.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.