oat bran and flax seed

saralh

Cathlete
Has anyone tried oat bran (hot cereal)? I was curious if it tastes anything like oatmeal. It has a good amount of protein and a hefty dose of fiber, and I wanted to get some opinions on it before I bought some. Also, about flaxseed...I have heard so many good things about it! I'm hoping it'll help make my hair a bit healthier and get my skin glowing. :0) I want to buy some from my local Whole Foods. I can buy the seeds whole, and then how do I grind them and how do I store them? I want to add a T to my daily yogurt, and was thinking I could add some to a bowl of oat bran and then add some berries to make a good breakfast. Anyway, let me know... thanks!
Happy eating!
Sara

Hi! I think oat bran is better if mixed half/half with oatmeal. It doesn't need to cook, so make runny oatmeal, or any other hot cereal and add the oat bran at the end. It also makes a good thickener for refried beans. As to flax seed, I grind it in a blender. It takes 15 seconds to grind a 1/4 cup, and I keep this small amount in an old yogurt cup in the refrigerator to keep it fresh. I end up grinding some 2 or 3 times a week. I put it in hot cereal, on salads, on top of cold cereal before pouring on the milk, in smoothies, just so I somehow get 1-2 tablespoons a day. It is so good for you, and is satisfying, since it's fat, it keeps you from getting hungry as quickly.

Hi Sara,

Oat bran is like Cream of Wheat in texture (very fine). I combine w/ water; bring to a boil; & cook 1 minute. It is a great source of fiber so I liked Mogomba's suggestions for adding to other foods. It is very bland so topping w/ fruit as you posted is almost necessary.

I buy ground flax seed meal at Trader Joe's (Bob's Red Mill brand) & keep it in the fridge. I find I use it a lot more if it's already ground even if it's losing some nutritional pow. Flax seed is an omega-3 fat, which is also the fat found in cold water fish (salmon, tuna, etc). Oh, I keep the seeds in the freezer (where I store all nuts & seeds) because they go rancid very quickly.

If you buy flaxseed oil, keep it in the fridge or a very cool spot like a nut oil. Don't cook with it, use it on salads or already cooked vegies.

Debra

HEY! Thanks so much guys! I appreciate the input. What are some of your favorite breakfasts? Gimme some ideas! I don't have much time to cook during the week, but meal ideas are still helpful. Thanks! Oh, I heard that grinding flax seed in a coffee grinder is good, but you have to use the grinder only for the flax seed. I wonder why? Well, thanks for your help.
Healthy regards,
Sara

You don't really have to just use the coffee grinder for flax seed, if you don't mind flax oil in your coffee and coffee flavor in your flax! I mean, none of it is poisonous! Breakfasts:
whole grain toast with any sort of nut butter, and some jam,with a mug of tea and soy milk is the most common. I also eat oatmeal with flax, raisins and cinnamon and a tiny dab of some sweetener, and soy milk. And cold health-food store cereal with flax seed, vanilla soy milk and sometimes additional wheat germ or protein powder on it. On weekends I have a scrambled or over-easy egg with a piece of whole-grain toast. Another option is yogurt with flax seed and a little fruit preserves.

Just curious. I'm a very recent flax-seed consumer. Is there any reason not to just eat the flax seeds as is (unground)? I put them on my bran-mix cereal and sometimes in my salad. And sometimes I just eat them out of my hand for a itsy-bitsy, teeny-weeny snack. It's like eating mini-peanuts!

Patricia

I believe I have read that if you don't grind the flax seeds first they pass directly through your digestive system, so you don't get the benefit. I don't remember where I saw this, though, so I don't know if it's a verifiable fact.

Also, Optimum cereal is great (Trader Joe's or Whole Foods). Loaded with fiber (incl. flax) and also a significant amount of protein for a breakfast cereal.

Thanks Cheryl!

Maybe it's time to get out the ole coffee grinder 'cause I bought at least 3 month's worth of seeds!

Have a nice weekend!

Patricia

P.S. Wish we had some of the stores (e.g. Trader Joe's) referred to in all your e-mails here in Toronto. We Canucks miss out on a lot of good products (sigh)!

Hi, I also use Bob's Red Mill brand of ground flaxseed. If you eat the whole seeds, they sometimes can cause stomach cramps because the seeds don't break down and can actually get lodged in the digestive tract (ouch!). I find the ground meal is convenient to use & I add it to my yogurt, cereal, oatmeal, soups, smoothies, tomato sauce. I also add wheat germ. My favorite breakfast: oatmeal cooked with soy milk and a cup of frozen blueberries (of course you can use fresh but frozen are less expensive right now). The berries turn the oatmeal purple which I find amusing :) I also eat 4 egg whites as a side to my oatmeal. Another oatmeal recipe I got from my brother: he adds 2 tbs unsalted peanut butter to his oatmeal while cooking it, and increases the milk slightly so it's not too thick. Yummy!

marnie

HEY! Well, I know that if you don't grind flax seeds before you eat them, your body can't digest them, so you'll miss out on all their health benefits. So grind and eat away! :0) And thanks for the bkfst ideas. Almond or PB on toast with fruit and soy milk is one of my fave breakfasts! Today I went to whole foods and bought some Van's whole grain waffles. They look so good! And they have 7 gms fiber and 7 gms protein per serving (2 waffles). I got some 100% fruit apricot jam, so I plan on toasting 2 waffles, spreading a little jam on em and topping them with maybe a cup of frozen blueberries. With a glass of soy milk, that should make a great breakfast! What do you think? Anyway, I am planning on buying flax seed this weekend and might invest in a cheap little grinder to use just for them. Thanks for all your help! Healthy regards, and have a great weekend!

RE: Hey, Debra

WHERE is there a trader joe's? I live in The Colony, TX, which is about 20 minutes from Dallas. We have Whole Foods markets here, but I've never seen a trader joe's... I have heard a lot about them, though! Help me find one! :0)

I bought Annies's Natural low fat gingerly dressing at the grocery store, and then saw it for $2 LESS at trader Joe's!!!! Can you believe that??? (Incredibly Yummy Stuff, btw!)
Wendy

Trader Joe's has some great bargains. They are expanding so there's hope for all. I get sticker shock when I wander into Whole Foods or Wild Oats but they do have things I can't get anywhere else.

If you're willing to grind, you should have a grinder for seeds & spices. Coffee beans are so oily that everything would taste like coffee if you used the same grinder for seeds. I confess that Peet's grinds my coffee beans.

The posts about whole flax seed are right. If you eat the entire seed, it just passes through. It counts as fiber but you don't get the nutrients.

Usually eat cereal & fruit girl for breakfast. Often hot cereal & I alternate. I also get my daily java fix with a latte. If there's time, multi-grain pancakes w/ fruit & plain yogurt is a good start to the day. Not a bad quick dinner either.

Debra

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.