Nia Shanks

Starting week six of my Nia Shanks rotation. The next four weeks are total body compound exercises three days a week. Will be mixing a little yoga, barre, TA, Tonique and cardio in the rotation. So far, this rotation is working very well for me. Watch for me on the cover of Glamour, or Vogue. Probably not, I will never be that "skinny." I may be on the "Morning Show," though. How's it going for you, Roz? Lovin' Nia?
Geez, how did i miss your post? :confused:
Yes, I am SO loving Nia!
Let me know how you like the 3 days/week compound work vs. 4 days/week split workouts. I've been thinking of doing something more like 3 total body (largely compound stuff) days per week next. I just bought Deepen Your Practice, so I think I'll largely be doing heavy lifting, yoga (some intense, some gentler), and walking. I don't seem to have much time for cardio these days. My daughter loves to watch me lift -- stepping, not so much. She likes to count my reps with me. I like it until we go three... four... three... two... ;)
I will have to check out Double Progression. I only have 3.5 weeks left (KISS is only 8 weeks).
Have you every tried any of the Get Glutes w/os? I'm not keen on paying $20 for one month's paper program and access to some butt-centric forum, but I would like to strengthen my glutes. I know it would help my squats and DLs.
Whatcha doing on the morning show -- just kickin' @$$ and takin' names? ;)
Roz

A couple of years ago, I bought Bret Contreras & Kellie Davis' book "Strong Curves: A Woman's Guide to Building A Better Butt And Body. " great compound move rotations. Hip thrusts, excellent exercises for your glutes. I got it on Amazon for a decent price. He takes you through calories and macros, Kellie demonstrates every exercise . I did the "Gluteal Goddess" workout. Great results. I loved it.

I usually prefer to lift four days a week. But, three days a week, is working very well for me right now.

The "Morning Show?" Yea, I will probably just go, be my obnoxious self, then leave. Just cause I can. Why don't you, and Justine come with me. We can raise all kinds of hell. Just cause we can.

Karen

Last edited:
The "Morning Show?" Yea, I will probably just go, be my obnoxious self, then leave. Just cause I can. Why don't you, and Justine come with me. We can raise all kinds of hell. Just cause we can.

Karen

Oh yeah...I'll be there!

I've done a bit of Bret Contreras - but I got a bit bored. I found it easier to just incorporate a few of his ideas. I know glutes are important, but they're not EVERYTHING, and I found it a bit creepy having a bloke telling me how sexy my rear would be.....

I'm there! We can toss a couple KBs in our backpacks for fun. ;)
We can take a class with Ilaria while we're in town, too.
I know glutes are important, but they're not EVERYTHING, and I found it a bit creepy having a bloke telling me how sexy my rear would be.....
I know, right?! Totally creepy. I mean, I guess I'm grateful for his 'research' or whatever you call it, but I wouldn't be psyched if my daughter were dating a man nicknamed 'the glute guy' who made his living off women's backsides and surrounding insecurities.
But on Karen's recommendation, I may check out the book. Sounds like a better investment than buying into their program.

If it's a great paper program, I might still try it. At least it's not a video.

I guess the messaging feels a little sinister coming from a man... like, fix your body, pancake-butt! Whatever the actual words are.

I read farther into Bret's list, and I gotta say, he really has me pegged. I generally show up at the gym decked out in pink, a little too sexy. And then I deflect mens' come-ons, which is confusing because I was really asking for it with my outfit. I just can't shut up, even when I'm going for a PR. I just gab and gab about my personal life and try to drum up some drama with other gym goers. I'm a real bitch when its that time of the month, but that's probably just because I'm insecure, because my butt actually is fatter at that time. Oh, & I just love, love, love shoving my hands in a bucket of chalk and then clapping them so it's like I'm in a big snow globe! I don't leave any chalk on my hands, but that's okay because the cloud is so much fun!!!

Seriously though, this man is a misogynist and a pervert. I rescind my statement that I would still do a good paper program that he wrote. Can't believe he gets away with writing this stuff. Also, I wrote better than he does when I was in 4th grade. I'm not saying he needs to be Marcel Proust, but hire someone to proofread your offensive garbage.

Last edited:
I had no idea he was writing this smack. Forget him. I will stick with Nia and Jen! Pervert is right!
Forget the DH, I can do hanging knee raises (or whatever it was) at home or in the gym. Works for me! Woo hoo! And, I come to the gym wearing all my make-up, and pink as well. (Don't make me sweat, or I will look like Alice Cooper, I don't come to the gym to work-out)

Karen

Last edited:
I can't even lift those weights to change them. I will have to have a man like Bret change my weights. Cuz, I can't even get the clamps on the bar.
Ladies reading your posts above, I think some of bret "observations " are misogynistic *-:)

He's competent and good in his niche field. I don't think he's creepy. He shouldn't have added those comments.haven't read the book. Iam still enabled *-:)

Ladies reading your posts above, I think some of bret "observations " are misogynistic *-:)

He's competent and good in his niche field. I don't think he's creepy. He shouldn't have added those comments.haven't read the book. Iam still enabled *-:)

Too many good trainers out there. We don't have to read this kind of junk. I don't need to read his book to learn how to do a "hip thrust."

Yep, I agree Karen - I'm doing Nia after I finish with Cathe. Whilst lifting I don't have a spare watt of energy to be irritated by the trainer, and I'm not the sort who'd be able to forget the comments whilst training! Yep, I can hold a grudge :mad:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.