Newbie need help!

CGJ123

Hi everyone. I have been doing Cathe rotations for the last 2 months. I did both the 2019 Jan and Feb rotation ( 5 days a week so I dropped 1 of the cardio sessions). Although I think it’s a great workout, I have not lost weight nor has my body composition changed. Has my diet been perfect? No but it has very much improved which leads me to a question....
I have read that full body strength workouts several times week with some cardio thrown in may be a better option for fat loss. Don’t know if this is true. It seems the last 2 rotations have been more split versions. Could this be why I haven’t seen much change?
Wondering is anyone has done an effective fat loss rotation they can recommend? Summer is coming! I need to lose about 15 pounds. Not looking to be “skinny” OR bulky... just “fit”.
I’m 50, open to working out 5 days per week both cardio and weights. I’m open to any advice.
Thanks

For weight loss, it all starts in the kitchen. Diet is about 75% of the effort when it comes to weight loss - moderate calorie deficit (no extremes). Focus on lean sources of protein, lots of veggies, whole grains, no processed foods, no added sugars, and limit booze. For workouts, metabolic weight training, circuit strength training, and full body strength should be your go to (allowing a full day rest between working muscle groups). Also incorporate HiiT workouts at least once a week. Add at least one day of recovery. Good luck!

Well said Cathletes.
CGJ123 remember Cathe's rotations aren't an instant weight loss mix. They are created for steady, consistent and effective progression. If you are new to working out, cardio wise or strength training, your body is adjusting to this new habit. It's probably saying "what are you doing!?,,,,, you're disrupting the status quo here and I don't like it!":oops:
There are many effective fat loss rotations created by Cathe - it all depends on what "flavor" aka series or mix of workouts you like. Continue your journey to better health and fitness and by May you may not have lost weight but your clothes will fit better and you will feel stronger because you had built leaner muscle and that's more appealing in many cases.
As desertambrosia stated "Be patient with yourself"

I agree with what the other members have said. Exercise alone will make you fitter and stronger but you will not always lose much weight. What you eat is a major factor. Exercise is important to get your muscles working and burning glucose. This will help increase metabolism and increase insulin sensitivity which are important for weight loss. But if you are putting a lot of high carbohydrate foods into your body you will have an excess of glucose which will be stored as fat. As Ruby2zDay said you need to cut out the processed foods, added sugar and limit alcohol. For me, eliminating soft drinks was a big help. I also found that restricting higher carb foods to the morning was helpful as I had all day to burn off the glucose. Consuming higher carb foods in the evening was more likely to cause weight gain.

What they said. Being 45 I workout 5 to 6 days a week and have incorporated plenty of strength training. My "scale" numbers haven't dropped to where I want them however, my clothes ;) I'm much toner & my blood work is on point. I deal w/genetic issue that affect my spine so I have to at times use the time saver options but I keep moving. Be patient, healthy weight is a lifestyle.

Just an idea for you--do some measurements, not just hips, waist, and bust but calves, biceps, thighs etc. Your body composition may be changing (firmer, toner) but the scale may not be. How do your clothes fit? They are often a good indicator. And remember, if a workout is feeling very comfortable, that is almost too easy, time to change it up and challenge your body--it will be changing even if you can't "see" it.

Keep at it.

For me (late 40s) changes were slow when I started exercising beyond long walks. I did pay some attention to calories, but didn't worry about macros, since my diet is basically healthy. Since I wasn't overweight, I had gradual recomposition - lower % body fat, and greater endurance. I got better at the workouts, lifting more, jumping higher, squatting lower. I got muscle definition, including my abs, over half a year of six a week workouts. This really paid off when I got sick, dropped 20 pounds, and still had good muscle definition with little exercise during illness. I'm not as weak as I'd be otherwise. Getting fitter just takes time, and is more subtle than you'd like for a while.

Good luck with whatever fitness program you choose!

Great advice! You mentioned your body composition not changing. 1) as mentioned before, Diet is the main factor. 2) when you do weights be sure to challenge yourself! I found once I started safely going heavier with the weights the shape changes started happening. often I will start a set heavy with one level of weight right next to me. When I can't lift another rep I drop the heavy weights and pick up the lighter one to finish off the set. Patience and work WILL pay off!

CGJ123, You are on the right path, and I agree with FireLight and Ruby2zday.

Remember, what works for one person may not work for you, you will discover what works or what does not work for you. Be patient

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.