My stomach seems bigger after I work out

naynay

Cathlete
How come after I do a core work out my stomach looks bigger? THis drives me crazy! Does anyone know the answer?

I don't know if this will help at all, but ...

Are you drinking lots of water during your workout? This might cause your abdomen to puff out a bit, similar to after eating a large meal.

How strong are your core muscles? Maybe they are just spent by the end of the workout and are no longer able to keep everything tucked in.

Is your posture still good at the end of your workout? If not, that can cause your stomach area to look bigger.

Stebby

Totally normal!
Your muscles retain more water after being used. The muscle fibers have small little tears after a resistance or weight workout, thus holding more water. Water expands. When those fiber repair themselves with 24-48 hours it will go back to normal.

Makes sure to drink a TON of water to promote your muscles to flush out the water (counterintuitive, I know)

Hi NayNay,

I thought it was just me who experienced this!! I expect insta-abs, dagnabit! :p

I do typically go through a good sized water bottle during my workouts. But I will flush more after.

Thanks!
Pam

This might sound silly, but I swear I heard this somewhere - something about making sure when you work out that you pull your tummy in - think drawing your navel in to your back. Sometimes people end up pushing the other way instead and I thought I heard that could cause your tummy to pooch out. Not saying that's it, but I always think about that now when I do any kind of core work or standard weight work. I always make sure to pull in the gut. ;)

This might sound silly, but I swear I heard this somewhere - something about making sure when you work out that you pull your tummy in - think drawing your navel in to your back. Sometimes people end up pushing the other way instead and I thought I heard that could cause your tummy to pooch out. Not saying that's it, but I always think about that now when I do any kind of core work or standard weight work. I always make sure to pull in the gut. ;)

I think this is completely true b/c back when I was in HS we had a foreign exchange student that I became good friends with that actually gained about 20 pounds while she was here in the US. Even with the weight gain her stomach remained flat and really strong. Her secret was that she kept her tummy sucked in all the time. She had an awesome hourglass figure! ;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.