Muscle Recovery Time if Over 50

Clayton

My primary goal now is muscle building, but I wonder if since I'm over 50 I need to allow more recovery time than before or risk overtraining. Each week I have been trying to get in three MIS (sometimes need to split upper/lower on different days), or a set of the Pure Strenth tapes plus one MIS or the set of Slow and Heavy tapes plus one MIS. I seem to tolerate this just fine, but my energy level to do much, if any, cardio really flags (lucky to get in one or at most two kickboxing tapes, which I like). I haven't been skimping on good food and get plenty of sleep. Since I'm sure Cathe has a long way to go until age 50, I'd also like to hear the experiences of any of you other boomers.

The latest issue of Muscle and Fitness ("Men's" version) has an article in about training for those over 40, and it stresses the need for more rest. INstead of 24 hours off, they recommend 48 hours off between weight workouts (though keep in mind that their audience is often men who lift really heavy weights). I'm 45, and I find that and extra day of recovery here and there really helps me not feel so tired out and helps me lift more when I do work out.

Another 45 year old, but my fitness reading often promotes more recovery days as one ages. Or at least mixing in more yoga or stretching days.

When I use S&H or PS, I do them once per week without adding in more weight work. It seems the results are better than when I'd throw in 1 more total body workout. And my cardio workouts are stronger.

Debra

Since my mid 50s when doing total body weight workouts, I have found that I need 2 days rest between workouts. The same is true for splits for the particular body part worked. Sometimes, I need more rest. For example, I really got wiped out last winter when doubling up on S&H, doing it in two complete workouts per week for 5 weeks. Also doing high impact cardios such as Interval Max right after a leg workout such as PS or LL would wipe me out. Instead I either do stretches, yoga or a dancy hi/lo afterwards. I pretty much mix up the type of cardio I do over the course of a week. In addition, I find myself doing more stretching which I also do in my pool right after working out. It feels great!

Bea

I once saw on Oprah Winfrey's show about a woman in her 80s, who did 2 hour weight workouts with a personal trainer 4 times a week. She looked really good.

Yen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.