Lifting like girls

Today was Cathe's "Upper Body Pyramid." Saturday was Jari Love's latest. I think I'm done with Jari, every DVD is the same. Same moves, same music, same old same old. Friday was Cathe's Ab Circuits, what a brutal workout! OMG! Just killer. That's about it until tomorrow.
I wish you guys, lived next door! I have garden coming out my ears. I think my neighbors are also gardened out! Until tomorrow.

Turned it up a notch for back and bi day. I did a 12 set giant set circuit on back and a 9 set giant set circuit for bis. Back was chins x10 8 6/ 1 arm cable pulls x10 8 6/ db rows x10 8 6/ pullovers x10 8 6. Bis were ez bar curls x10 8 6/ db curls x 10 8 6 and conc curls x8 x 4 1/2 x 4 ( I was fried and 40s by this time felt really heavy...Even the first circuit on these was really tough for some reason). Tomorrow will be chest and tris, usually funday! My chest work was heavier Saturday was heavier than Tuesdays and I was certainly less sore so that is good.
Karen, would love to help you with your "garden goodies", but all that health stuff might prove toxic to my system...health overload!!
Lisa, how's our cardio queen doing? Hopefully no more Urgent care visits.
Time to switch on Monday "survival Mode".....wait, I'm semi retired....never mind!!
Have a great start to the week ladies!

Karen, I would love to live next door too, for many reasons. The garden bring only one of them! I didn't even know Jari Love was still releasing workouts. I like some of her older stuff but I have to be in just the right mood to do them, which rarely happens.

Tom, no more urgent care visits. Yet, lol. Good volume in today's workout. You must be feeling stronger!

Saturday was UB. Today was Kelly Coffey Meyer legs from Split Sessions. I added a triset of weighted squats, one-legged squats, and gliding disc moves. That's all I got for today. Have a good one!

This morning was: Lower Body Pyramid. Haven't done this one for a long time. I really enjoyed it.
Still smokey here. I think it's been at least a month since we had clean air in the valley. My younger sister went to Denver over the week-end. She said it was smokey there too. I'm surprised it got over the Rockies. California needs to put their efforts into ending this. They're polluting the whole western United States. Ok, I'm off my soap box.

. I think it's been at least a month since we had clean air in the valley
Same rotten, stinky deal with the air quality here. But hey, don't worry. It will be cleared out in time for cold, inside weather and winter snow. Grrrrrrr
On a positive note, sure do love the Cathe Pyramid workouts. I just struggle with the fast weight changes on LB because I don't have Cathe's style of barbell.

Today was cardio focuses core from YouTube. Plus a treadmill walk later since going outside is a no-go for little kids (THAT has been fun, lemme tell ya).

Tom hope Tuesday retirement is treating you right!

Chest and tri here today, 9 sets of bench..nothing heavy real heavy but some inprovemebt! Tris were 2 sets of skullcrushers, pushdowns and kickbacks. I am sore from Monday and I love it! Upper body a little trashed so tomorrow is leg day....I hope!! All I got friends good work was had by yall!!!

Leg day " in da books"! I looked back and before today I had 1 Leg day ( light at that) in the last month. To avoid eminent death, NOTHING spectacular. 4 sets of bench squats x 5 at 135 155 175 and 195. Db squats 55s 2x5 kb swings 2x20 (50)) and rev lunges 2x8 (25s). Calves were standing BB calf raises 2x25 (195) and 1 Leg calf raises (0) 2x25. Still gonna hurt cause it doesn't seem to require much to accomplish that! All for me, happy hump day all!

To avoid eminent death, NOTHING spectacular.

Tom, LMAO at your histrionics! I needed that!
Mom I wanna go outside! Can we go outside now? Why can't we go outside? Mooooooom I wanna play outside! Oh ouch!

Karen, tears. So many tears. From me, not the kids, lol! So glad you two "get it." Helps me know that I am not acting like a special snowflake. And nope, you're super young...Cathe is just freakishly fast with that Troy Lite barbell.

Today was Cathe Live UB. School starts in one week!!! All the supplies have been purchased. Now it's just tick tock, tick tock. Watch that clock!

Shoulder day, 18 sets, 202 reps and I think I felt everyone! Starting with seated shoulder press, 115x8, then had to drop to 95x12x8. Next were seated db press, 50s 2x8, then dropped to 40s x8. Side laterals and I went very light (20s), trying to keep my arms straighter, 3x10, rear delt flys 3x10 (40s), alt front raise 3x10 (25s) and finished with 2x20 BB shrugs (225) and 1x20 db shrugs (85s). For abs I did 2x20 cable crunches and up the stairs I went! My body has been trashed all week, and I hope shoulders follow that pattern! Hard to believe what 2 weeks of NO lifting does when you're near 70, but now I know!
..Karen, your recall of kids wanting to go outside was "perfect"!!(Saturday night live stuff lol)...kinda going thru that...AGAIN, with the new pup! I am beginning to think she can even "fake a pee or poop"....at least a pee to validate us letting her out, (#2 we collect lol!) Lisa, having the kids go to school..at least the first time is stressful and kinda heartbreaking. I even felt the same with them going to college if you can believe that, so you "aint done yet!
All got peeps, hit it hard and embrace the DOMS!

Lisa, having the kids go to school..at least the first time is stressful and kinda heartbreaking. I even felt the same with them going to college if you can believe that, so you "aint done yet!
Yes it is. I bawled like a baby when I put my oldest on the school bus. I took him the first week, then he had to be a big boy and ride the bus by himself. I'm bawling just thinking about it.
Nice work Tom. You're kicking some a$$.
Lisa, have fun with the kids. Yes, tick tock.
I had a Dr. appt. this morning, so my schedule is off kilter. I think I will do a lifting premix from one of the DVDs. Haven't decided yet.
Have a great day, guys.

Awww, you guys! Now I am feeling weepy after reading your parenting memories! A good perspective for me because, I must admit, I am ready to send my 6 year old DD1 to college...NOW...out of state...in a different time zone...possibly even requiring a student Visa...and foreign language skills. I do love her, but oy vey! In all seriousness I will miss her, and the thought of all this kid noise being exchanged for empty nester silence one day is sad. Gotta live each day. Of course, based on you two, the answer is to GET a DOG!!! Lol

Tom, 202 reps? Is that a Guiness World record? Karen, never heard of that vaccine so I Dr Googled it. Looks like something worth doing. Hope you won't be sore.

Karen, my day has been off too. Had a construction worker wake me up, as he was busting up a concrete slab in the neighbor's backyard before approved working hours. Did get my leg day in, Fit Body by Julia Pure Strength Booty. Whoa, as always.

Tom, I need to pick your brain. You have a DS living in Florida, correct? Would you mind sharing what general region he lives in, if he likes it, anything helpful about living there? My DH received a job offer at a company about 1 hour outside of Orlando (North, I believe). We know about the wet, high heat...DH and I are both from AZ, so it's a dry heat there, but we've lived through 122 degrees F summer days. We know about hurricanes, generally, and about reptiles galore...snakes, lizards, crocs. What else should us dummies (my DH and me) know about it?

Tom, I need to pick your brain. You have a DS living in Florida, correct? Would you mind sharing what general region he lives in, if he likes it, anything helpful about living there? My DH received a job offer at a company about 1 hour outside of Orlando (North, I believe). We know about the wet, high heat...DH and I are both from AZ, so it's a dry heat there, but we've lived through 122 degrees F summer days. We know about hurricanes, generally, and about reptiles galore...snakes, lizards, crocs. What else should us dummies (my DH and me) know about it?
Lisa, he lives in Sanford. It is about 30 min North of Orlando. Yep, gators etc and hot, but humidity is the worst part, almost never 100. He has a condo in Daytona and it feels MUCH more comfortable there! Sanford and Lake Mary are right next to each other and his wife works in Lake Mary. He also has an office in Daytona Beach so they know the area pretty well. He says they will have to pry his cold dead body outta there cause he doesn't want to take another bar!!! Any question fire away!!

This morning was "Legs & Glutes," from Cathe's Bodyblast Series. Another good one. I'm trying to do some of the older workouts, to make use of my Cathe collection. That's about it for this morning.
Florida Lisa? I've only been there once. Took the kids to Disney World. It reminded me of Dallas for some reason. I loved Dallas. But a new job, and a new place. Sounds exciting. I think "Firemedic" on this forum lives in Florida. She could probably offer insight as well.

Last edited:
Arm day, 20 sets, and I did raise weight on some of the stuff. I intended to do circuits and did the first round of sk crushers x10 (45s)/ ezbar curls x8 (90)/ tpd (80?) x8/ db curl x8 (45s) but the standing db curls really felt lousy on the right shoulder so I decided to do do the rest of those individually in 2 sets...I know that makes NO sense but thats the logic of a glycogen deprived mind! So next were skc 2x10 ezbar curls 2x8 pushdowns 2x8 and db curls 2x8 ( I sat on the bench and left the 45s on and it was fine...WTH!), I went back to short supersets and did incline tri ext x8/ dec curls x8 (x2) (dropped to 35s) and then kickbacks x12/ conc curls x8 (x2) (35s). Any arm day is a good day, but did bump some things up, I have been going a little light and it's time to get it back! I need to get the ez bar curls back to triple digits for my sets but joints just demand a little "down time" so I can live to lift another day!
It's Friday friends...live accordingly!!

Tom, wow super helpful!!! Thank you!!! Karen, I remember some Cathletes mentioning living in FL, so I will definitely reach out. Thank you!!!

And, Tom, I'm a lawyer not a cartographer, so I was off on the direction of the new job. It's about one hour southeast of Orlando, the Melbourne area. I imagine weather stuff and creepy reptile stuff is the same. What has your son's experience been raising kids in FL (he's got kids, IIRC?)? The public schools seem to have good test scores and the State University system seems impressive, but what do I know? Good opportunities for the kids? Safe, generally, except for horrible random acts of violence like the school shooting last year? Good recreation? I hear the political climate is conservative / Republican. I will refrain from saying how I feel about that, for good or bad. Good system of highways? My DH thought so when he visited, but a visit is different from living there. LMAO about your son wanting to die before taking the Bar exam in another state. I'm fortunate to be mostly a researcher and brief writer/court document writer, so the work I do can be done in CA, passed along online to my CA firm.

If I have asked too many questions, tell me to zip it. Don't want to get obnoxious

Great workouts. You will probably never get to go on another vacation, Tom. Your body won't let you after this post-vacation beating in the weight room. Karen, I adore Legs & Glutes, even those brutal jumping lunges at the end of the standing section. It's one of my fave Cathe lower body DVDS. How's your garden doing? I don't know how you manage being outside. The smoke is worse than ever!!!

Today was yesterday's Live, Kick Butt Boot camp. Short, sweaty, fun!

Lisa, he has 3 kids but fire ants and other things limit outside activities as well as jungle humidity. He grew up fishing but gators limit children doing that there...he was a real creek runner fishing and doing who knows what here in MO. Politically, FL is pretty much a toss up state, differs by area and urban vs rural etc. It seems ALL of the hideous acts of human deprivation occur either in FL or MO lol!! School wise, the way they score them is a little twisted I think because they score them much higher for diversity, and not just testing. I'm all for diversity but it says nothing about the education they are receiving. Anyway, don't want to scare you off because there is a lot of things to do there, Disney, Sea world and tons of other stuff including the ocean. Keep us posted...hope it's a great opportunity for you guys!

Light chest and LEG day, yup, you read that right... chest and LEG! I thought I would try to hit these a second time and stay light. Bench was 6 sets, 115x5 135x5 155x3 175x3 155x8 135x12. Next were bench squats 135x8 155x8 175x8, then 2x12 gob squats (50 kb) and 1x10 rev lunges (25s). For calves I did standing BB calf raises x30 x25 x20 (175). I was going to do do deads as well, but I think I will try to do some deads and abs tomorrow. Enjoy the weekend lifter ladies!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.