Lifting like girls

Tom, answering your question. Every one of these documentaries I’ve watched specifically stated that there is enough protein in plants, grains and beans. That we don’t need to eat meat for protein. The beef we eat is raised on nothing but grass and grains, with enough protein to give humans a nice roast, and T bone steaks. Evidently there are quite a few vegan athletes now. A couple of them were on the documentary I watched. Both of them stating that their performance had improved after going vegan, and they were quite pleasing to look at, as well. For myself, my stamina and strength have remained the same. So, we will see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If nothing else, it sounds like it's definitely working for you, Karen. You are your own best science lab, right? I'm not a meat lover, but I do eat it and think the mind shift to plants, grains, beans wouldn't be too hard, but I would really miss the dairy products I think. Yep, PHAT2 is not to be done on a full stomach! It's one of the tougher Lives IMO

Tom, maintaining your strength is sometimes just what the "dentist" ordered. I will be thinking of you today when I take my two DDs to the dentist, ....granted, the pediatric dentist patient list is quite different from your spectrum of dentistry, lol

Yesterday was HiiT cardio and core. Today was Cathe Live ICE Total Body Compound. Some tough moments sprinkled in with gentle moments, but a good solid overall metabolic burn.

Happy middle of the week!

Karen, we eat out almost daily and really don't cook at home...sandwiches and breakfast, and in a small town there are not really any vegan or even healthy options. I couldn't do it anyway, way to entrenched in "carnivorism" and I have heard that a lot of veggie proteins are not as effective as building blocks, probably depends on the source, but I could not give up meat or dairy or eggs. I hear soy based proteins are estrogenic and I REALLY don't need that! Much of my protein is milk based, shakes and milk, and without that I would really struggle to get 200 gms/day. I have always read that people that lift and want to build muscle need 1-1.5gms/pound of bwt. I could never get there without meat and dairy and eggs. Here, I doubt we even have vegan options at our grocery stores...pretty remote in "Hicksville"!
Today I debated between shoulders and legs, opted for shoulders so I could do legs tomorrow and since I work a rare Friday, I will try to max out on pullups at work. Today just wasn't really there strength wise, some are good, some NOT! I started with 3x10 1x6 strict press, seated dumbbell press x12, drop 10# x15, 3x10 side laterals, rear delt flys, alt front raise and 3x25 DB shrugs. I finished with 5 minutes of planks. w/o done...not historic by any means, but DONE! I am sitting here, typing, and looking at a bag of...TOOTSIE ROLLS! Ugh, temptation is EVERYWHERE!! Have a terrific day all!

Channeled my inner Karen and did her favorite: Afterburn! I think the first couple circuits are killer, but after that it felt much more doable than I remember. I think I am just more conditioned for metabolic workouts than I was when this workout first came out.

Tom, we'll be keeping you accountable for Sunday leg day!

TGIF!

This creature of habit did change things up...a little for arm day. Instead of supersets, I did all tri, then all bi, and it really seemed to be effective (if discomfort is an indicator). I did a 5 set pyramid of skullcrushers to start, with a 20#/ dumbbell range in sets of 10-15, then 3x8 pushdowns and double kickbacks x20 x18 x18. For bi's, 4x10 ez bar curls, 2x8 and 1x10 alt DB curls, 2x8 conc curls and 2x10 dec curls. Tomorrow I will attempt leg day or do some deads and core and combine legs with chest on Monday...we will see how it sorts out! Make the weekend special friends!

Deads and core won out today, will do legs and chest tomorrow. Did what I feel was a high volume deadlift day, 31 reps which SEEMED high volume. I divided every set into conventional and sumo, 205x3(c) x3(s) 255x3(c) x3(s) 295x2(c) x1(s) and dropped to 225 x8(c) x8(s). It seems that sumo is more comfortable for me at lower weights, but the heavier weights seem to go better for me with conventional....more research is indicated! For abs I did 3x25 cable crunches and called it a day. Hope the weekend has treated you well!

Chest and legs and legs were dead from deads! Again an 8 set bench pyramid in 20# increments, sets of 6-8 on the way up, 8-13 on the way down. dumbbell inclines x 10 drop 10# x12 x13. Legs were 3x8 dumbbell squats 3x15 sumo squats and 3x20 kb swings, finishing with calves, 3x25 dumbbell calf raises and 3x25 single calf raises. Not real sure that legs should follow deadlifts but guess that's how it played out this week...I'll live! Hope all is well with y'all!

Just finished Pure Strength 1 from the Peak Fit System. It was a great workout, and I liked it! It comes with a band, it's heavy with hardly any stretch to it. I hope it loosens up, it was just too tight. Tomorrow is Pure Cardio, you all know how I feel about an hours worth of cardio. Anyway, I will return and report. But, I did enjoy today's workout. Went to St. George for a meeting. Always a delight in St. George. That's about it, guys. Talk to you tomorrow!

Today was Pure Cardio. Tom you would have loved this, right up there with leg day. About 60 minutes of cardio! Wasn't bad as far as cardio goes, but you know me, just can't get into the jumping around, and all that. I like to lift weights heavy enough and fast enough to get my cardio, metabolic stuff for me. Maybe that will be all the pure cardio for the week. Here's to hoping. OK Tom, I bit the bullet. How is that leg day going?
Lisa, what's going on with you? Is everybody good?
Next update is tomorrow. Have a great evening.

Another no show day for me...and it was Back and bi day!! Will do tomorrow but did get legs with chest yesterday...yay me! Hour of cardio.....rather get a beating lol!! Hoping to crash...drank a couple of beers...should help!! Good on ya warrior Karen...a far better Commando than me are thee!

Today was a pretty much "maintain day". All sets were 2x8 and 8 sets each for each back and bi excercise. For back, 2x8 for chins, pullovers, DB rows and pulldowns. For bi's, 2x8 for ez bar curls, alt DB curls, conc curls and decline curls. I did hit snooze but fought thru it! I still got some work so not really a deload day but just shortened reps and sets a little......sometimes ya just gotta do whats ya gotta do! Lisa, I bet there were some cute "Halloween kids" at your house yesterday..hope they had fun (and brushed their teeth after the candy glut!) Make today YOUR day, YOUR way friends!

Been living the crazy life. Still working out, all while managing 2 sick girls (the colds and coughs going around every family), school stuff, work stuff (I am doing at-home contract attorney work, just for fun, but it adds to the busy busy busy!). Still had a great Halloween with Wonder Woman, a cute little cow, and a baby airplane.

Keep it up, friends. Tom, get those legs worked out will ya? Lol. Karen, you're killing it with the Peak workouts. Love how you push yourself outside of your comfort zone / box

Shoulder and ab day here. 5 sets of strict press, didn't go heavy but I did do pretty long set, at least for me. I always start light and gradually increase, today was 45x10 65x10 85x10 100x8 85x10, then seated dumbbell presses to finish out the press section, 50's x12 x10 x10. Next I did the usual, 1 armed side laterals 3x10 (30#), 3x10 rear delt flys (50's) and 3x10 alt front raises (30's) and last (and probably least) 3x25 dumbbell shrugs (90's) For abs: 3x20 cable crunches and 5 minutes of alternate side planks. This was one of those days that just seem to be hard to "get in the mood", but once I got started it was ok. I don't know that I am making gains, but maybe that isn't really probable at 68. I like to put my weights down as motivation, if it is annoying I will stop, but it keeps me honest. I suck at pressing (as well as many other lifts), but I really want to do 150...may never happen, but I may take another run at going heavier. I feel like I haven't been as strong at overheads as I was, but haven't really tried much heavy stuff lately....may try again. To do that I will go back to doing lead up sets of 2-3 instead of 10 lol! Enough ramblings of a "crap pressing old guy". Have a "goodun" ladies!

Tom, I enjoy reading the weight loads you use. I would hope you keep doing it, unless it becomes a hassle for you.

Karen, howdy! What's your workout of the day?

Today I did an oldie live, Kickbox and Barre Live.

Happy Thursday! Am I the only one annoyed that it's already Christmas, at least as far as the stores and coffee shops are concerned? ??? I feel like I complain about this every year but it still bugs me!

For todays arm day I am shooting for some hypertrophy...hope it happens! 25 sets and all except double kickbacks and a finishing curl set were 12 10 10. I decided not to superset but did alternate part sets, starting with skullcrushers, then ez bar curls, tri pushdowns, alternate DB curl, double arm kickbacks x24 x20 x20, conc curl and inclined tri extensions then dec curls. I finished with a set of oly bar only curls to F(25). Even though my rep pattern was pretty consistent, many, especially last reps, were very near fail. I debated going shorter and heavier and shooting for strength, but it seems that the heavier stuff causes more tendon and wrist issues, so hypertrophy it was! I keep fluctuating between trying to drop a little weight to cut up a bit or just get stronger....decisions,,decisions! I know if I drop calories (especially protein) I will lose some strength and that just "messes with my gray matter"! I'm thinking about just cutting the extra away, then, if I live, I'm good! Enjoy your Friday friends!

Working under the guise that "sompin is better than nuttin" today was bench, deads and core. There was nothing heavy going to happen today,,,just wasn't there, but I did get some work done. I did 4 sets of 10 on the bench, at 115 135 155 175 and finished with 135x15. For deads, everything felt heavy, starting with 205 x5c x5s, 255x3c x3s, 275 x3c x3s and I stopped there...just wasn't a deadlift day! I did 1x10 chin ups because I had my versa grips on after deadlifts and it seems to help on that skinny soloflex attachment because it is so smooth it is sometimes hard to hold on to (really long sentence). I finished with some ab stuff, inclined sit ups (hadn't done these in a long time...I could tell) x25 x20 x15 and cable crunches x25 x20 x15. I was planning on doing legs again with chest Monday, but may do tomorrow instead...will see I guess. Enjoy the weekend Ladies!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.