Lifting like girls

I showed for leg day! Today was a no back leg day, keeping it light but hi rep. My right knee is sore a lot these days but if I stay light I seem to do ok. Strange w/o today, started with 3x40 bdw squats, 3x10 reverse lunges (30s), then back to bdw squats 3x30 then 3x8 reverse lunges. My legs and thutt were screaming and ain.t sayin weren't a few colorful phrases uttered! For calves, 3x30 1 leg calf raises (30#) and 3x30 unweighted single calf raises. My left calf is noticeably weaker than my right...smaller too, and sometimes the right is easy and the left needs an assist! Gotta work on that. My Friday friends, have a great one!

Tom, your "weeks" are confusing me! I never know what day it is anyway but it's even more perplexing when yesterday was Monday and today is Friday, lol! Yay for leg day. I think I need to jump on the bodyweight train. Your bodyweight squats did the job today and goodness knows that Karen is killing it with her Mark Lauren bodyweight torture training.

That reminds me, Karen the Mark Lauren program you're doing is a paper program you just bought from his website? Did you say that you have the men's program because the women's program didn't include pushups? (If that's right...WTH? why don't women need to do pushups? that doesn't make sense.)

I bought it on Amazon. One of the reviews by a woman stated the programs were the same, but the women's program didn't include push-ups. I thought it was odd. So I bought the men's program. But then again, it could be my senility showing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This morning..... Mark Lauren.
This was four exercises done back to back, for six rounds. Resting when needed.
l- Push-up to side plank, alternating sides, five each side. By round four, the sweat was dripping everywhere. Looks like this weekend will be a Clorox party, in the home gym.
2- Prisoner Squats - Deep! Sixteen reps
3- One arm bodyrocks - elbow plank, rock back & forth raising one arm to the front, then the other. Eight each side. No butt sag allowed.
4- One leg RDL, arms at a T. Bending at hips straight line from head to lifted leg toes. Eight each side.
This was a timed workout. Took 35 minutes, with breaks to catch my breath. Absolutely loved it. A definite butt kicker!

Yesterday was a Hip and Thigh Pilates workout. Did it once, then again using a band. Great workout!
Have a great evening, guys!

Today was shoulders and it was pretty good. I did do seated overhead presses with no issues and went fairly heavy in fact heavier than I have with dumbbells in a long time because I have been using oly bar militaries as my main press. I did 4 sets of these, then I did 3 sets of 1 arm side laterals bringing the weight in front of my body then 3 sets behind the body, 3 sets of rear delt flys but using 1 arm at a time and bracing my back with the other on the bench, and it worked well. Next were 3 sets of alternate front raises and 3 sets of heavy dumbbell shrugs. Shoulders have this warm, I got my a$$ kicked, feel and I love it!! Karen, that w/o sounds brutal! My workout area is just terrible for floor stuff, concrete, and at one time had glue down carpet that, because of water, had to be removed but some rough glue still remains. We still get water down there from time to time so I cant really improve the floor....(thank goodness! or you might talk me into trying some of your tortures!) Lisa, how is life in "munchkin land"?? Hope the Doc gives you "thumbs up" so you can return to "Commandoinsanityville" Have a terrific Wed friends!

Arm day and it was tough! 6 sets of pushdowns (8-10 reps)/ 6 sets of powerblock curls (8-10 reps), I did bump up the weights 5#. 3 sets of skullcrushers (12-15 reps)/ 3 sets of hammercurls (8-10 reps) and 2 sets of close grip pushups and 2 sets of dumbbell 21's. I finished with 3 sets of cable crunches and did move the weight up on these as well. May be a sign of poor conditioning when you're beat on arm day, but I choose to think I am just working hard...could happen.....couldn't it?? Make today all it can be!

Hey, y'all, I am baaaaack! Got the green light so on Thursday did an UB mix from YouTube, 30 mins of UB + cardio from Shelly Dose and 30 mins of strait heavy weight from Fitness Blender.

Today legs from Live, Love Those Legs Live from March 2017 plus Fitness Blender floor finisher.

OMG, I love it and I always love the feeling of everything feeling easier to do without the baby bump. After being pregnant everything feels easier, especially pushups and legs. Karen, did you experience that too?

Great workouts! Good to read the specifics of your Mark workouts, Karen. And Tom, you're feeling those muscles which definitely means you got good stuff happening!

Have a great weekend my fellow crazies!

Hey Commando Friends!
Yesterday the workout was a yard work marathon. Mowing trimming, weeding and planting.
Today was another Mark Lauren. Another short, but difficult workout.
1. Scorpion Side Kick. Plank position, hands under shoulders, bring one knee into the chest, bring it towards the ceiling, then with knee bent at 45 degree angle, push it across your butt, towards the wall. Trying to keep hips flat. Alternate sides. A butt kicker. Definitely feel it in the butt. Five sets/40 seconds work/20 seconds rest.
2. One legged RDLs, arms at T. Same as last workout. Alternate sides. Five sets/40 seconds work/20 seconds rest.
3. Skydivers with arms at T. Lie on stomach, arms at T with thumbs up, and legs wide. Lift chest, thighs and arms off the floor, in a skydiver position. Hold them high, while you bring your heels together, wide, together, wide for 40 seconds. Out of the four exercises, this one royally kicked my butt. Felt it in my lower back and butt. Again, 40/20.
4. Half Saxon Back Lunge. Stand with you hands over your head like your diving in a pool. Step right leg back into a 45 degree lunge. Bring your left arm down, and try to touch the floor on your left side. Alternate sides. 40/20.
When I have finished, I feel this work in the muscles that were worked, but also deep in my core. All of his "stuff" has a core element. Feels good, very different.
That's about it Commando friends!! Until tomorrow!

Couldn't resist a Sat w/o, was kinda total body thing. 2 sets of chinups, 6 set bench pyramid,2 sets gob squats, 2 sets reverse lunges, 4 sets calf raises, 2 sets seated shoulder press and 2 sets side laterals, finishing with 5 minutes of planks. Lisa, glad you got the all clear...great work! Karen, just reading that stuff wore me out, does sound like a core blaster! Enjoy the weekend my fellow iron workers!

Karen, don't you feel like it's really late to be doing all the gardening stuff because the weather has been so wonky? We're in the mid 50s today with rain yesterday and a bunch of rain in the forecast for the next week. I'm bummed about it because I feel like we're going to be robbed of Spring. It will go straight from the Winter from Hell to hot hot Summer from Hell, with lots of flooding because of the melting from record high mountain snow packs. Bah humbug! I've done the Half Saxon Back Lunge before and at first thought, "oh this isn't too bad" but holy crap, you get one rep into it and you just know you're going to be feeling it tomorrow. Besides working the core, I bet your quads and your shoulders are getting amazing workouts. I feel like plank-based moves really define my shoulders and quads since I use them to keep myself from collapsing to the floor!

Tom, great kitchen sink workout. Sometimes it does the body good to just hit everything one more time for the week. Are you still doing pushup challenges at work? Also forgot to ask about your DW's knee check up. I hope she's doing well 1 year after her knee surgery.

Today I did a total body, Strong & Lean Reps Live (1/26/17). This is one of the most thorough Live total body workouts. She really burns out every muscle group. My arms are shakin like bacon!

Have a great weekend! See you back on Monday or Tuesday, just depends on when I have at least one free hand to type. :)

Happy Mother's Day to my Commando friends! We, as husbands and sons, owe you more than we can ever repay and know you are special and today is your day! The husbands and children of the women of these forums are so fortunate to have you as wives and mothers. The work ethic you exhibit spreads to all aspects of your life. enjoy your day...no one deserves it more!!

Tom, you sure do know how to sweet talk a lady! Thanks so much for your kind words! Sending Happy Mother's Day wishes to your DW...as she puts up with you, lol, and gave you two great DS's...and Sending Crazy Fantastic Commando and Coffee and Chocolate and Wine Mother's Day wishes to Karen and your posse. You're the best, girl.

Tough chest and tri, 10 sets bench, 3 sets incline bench, 2 sets incline flys 4 sets tri pushdowns, 2 sets skullcrushers and a set of crossbody tris. I hadn't tried flys in a long time because they bothered my elbows and shoulders but kept it light and long and it was ok. I have one more day at home then we are off to Mayo for my semi annual stuff and DW is having a cataract removed. We will be home Friday and they have dumbbells to 40 or 50 that I can do legs, shoulders and arms...can make it work and at least get some lifting in. I went to workout manager and am SERIOUSLY thinking about sts when I get back with cardio on the off days. I wont do meso 1 but thought I would start with 2 and only 1 work day of the week would be a w/o day. I do the program on paper and I will probably spend 90 min many of the days so only 1 work day a week will be sweet. I will have to play with the weights a little to finf a 1rm, but I had great results when I did sts before, it's just a commitment! I hope Mothers Day was terrific for everyone and y'all got the "props" you deserve! Happy Monday all!

Tom, great workout. Glad the elbow wasn't too troublesome today. 40 or 50lb dumbbells is pretty darn good for a hotel gym, definitely thinking you'll get something in. Your STS plan sounds great. All 3 of us have done STS so many times so we know how to play with it and still make it effective. I'll stick with Meso 1, we can share Meso 2, and you can have Meso 3 all to yourself, lol! And did I read that you're going to include cardio???? Woot woot

Karen, Mark or pilates for today? Hope you have a great Monday. Only 3 days left until your "Friday."

Today was leg day. I came, I saw, I conquered. I did a Jessica Smith TV 40 minute high step leg routine from YouTube...I went heavy and it was NOT easy. Followed that up with a 15 minute Fitness Blender YouTube Leg Slimming Pilates Butt & Thigh Floor routine. (Karen, you are influencing me to do more Pilates!) Totally feeling the burn, definitely going to be sore!!!

Good morning Commandos! I ratcheted up the intensity on back and bi day doing 4 sets of back instead of 3 of each excercise, chins x10x8x8x8, pullovers 4x10, 1 arm cable pulls 4x8. For bi's, 3x8 dumbbell curls, 3x8 hammer curls, and 2x10 conc curls. Good workout, about 45-50 min..seemed plenty! I need to get used to longer ones if I do sts. Lisa, you are attacking your workouts, congratulations on the hard work! Karen, are you going to go back to sts or stay bodyweight and pilates? I am going to try to do something in Minn...will see how it goes! Have a great week ladies!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.