Let's talk books!

tlc93

Cathlete
For the past 3 (?) years, I start a post like this to find out what people are reading. I've read some truelly amazing stories thanks to all of you. The stories I typically enjoy are murder mysteries, psychological thrillers, suspense etc. so when I read something like "The nightingale ", I'm in awe. Another excellent book was "Small great things"...another WOW. I thoroughly enjoy a story that makes me laugh out loud, cry, characters that sink into my brain, make me ponder life and so on. So let's hear it Cathletes...share what you're into right now.

I read Small Great Things for my book club this month. What an excellent book that was. It was one of those books that called me to come back and continue to read it. I need more books like that.
I am excited to hear what everyone is reading. I love this thread.

I love to read, mostly mystery and/or romance, (historical, western, etc) I downloaded a series from Itunes from Jeannie Harrell (I think that
is right), the "Rancher" series, and they are so good, " Good decent cowboys, etc"......I'm on book 2, now, I love to read on my ipad....

I am currently reading The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead. I'm about halfway through. I'm enjoying it so far even though it's hard to read at times due to the subject matter.

I highly recommend The Nix by Nathan Hill and The Alaskan Laundry by Brendan Jones.

My sister got a free copy of Behind Closed Door by BA Paris. It's a creepy psychological thriller. I really enjoyed it.

I have my list of must reads started, thank you for all the great suggestions so far! I have strayed from the Kindle and have rediscovered my love for holding an actual book in my hands, oh how I have missed them:). I am currently reading "The Day I Died" by Lori Rader-Day which is a mystery and has been hard to put down. My other suggestions are "Lilac Girls" by Martha Hall Kelly(a must read if you liked The Nightingale), "The Night Sister" by Jennifer McMahon, "My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry" by Fredrik Backman and "The Widow's House" by Carol Goodman(anything by Carol Goodman). There is also a good series by Annelise Ryan, the first one is "Working Stiff" Mattie Winston Mysteries. Looking forward to hearing from everyone!

I am re-visiting (I have a habit of re-reading my books) The Century Trilogy starting with Fall of Giants by Ken Follett. The first book of the trilogy reminds me of Downton Abbey a bit, and centers around WWI. The second book in the trilogy, Winter of the World, centers around WWII, and the last book, Edge of Eternity, takes place during the 1960s - 1980s. They are historical fiction and you follow 5 families from different countries through history. I don't know why this trilogy hasn't been made into a mini-series!

I am coming off reading the entire series of "Outlander" books and really miss the characters. Does anyone else re-read their books or miss the characters when you finish?

I just read Most Wanted by Lisa Scottoline. It is about a couple who uses donor sperm to conceive. The woman later discovers that the picture she saw of her donor, bares resemblance to a newly arrested serial killer!

Needless to say, this is a quick read!

Aqua Girl....could you check the author of that series? I tried looking it up but could not find anything by that author...

LOVE Lisa Scottoline! Keep Quiet is a super read...tests the theory of how far would you go for your child...a real page-turner about a father's split-second decision to protect his 16yr old son.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've read many of Lisa Scottoline's books over the years. One in particular that stuck in my head is Daddy's little girl. I remember it being fast paced with good suspense. I'm almost done with "I see you" by Clare Mackintosh. It's held my attention. It's about a woman who feels she's being stalked. Set in London. There are many on my library list that I'm waiting for. Thanks for all your suggestions too.

Last edited:
My favorite detective series is the Harry Bosch series by Michael Connelly. I didn't care for his Lincoln Lawyer books as much. The series is best read in order. I think the tv series on amazon prime debuted with the 4th book in the series. I haven't watched the series but the synopsis matched the 4th book.

If you haven't read The Pawn by Steven James and the others in his Patrick Bowers Files, these are awesome psychological murder mysteries.

Linda Castillo also has a mystery series, the Kate Burkholder series, that is also really good that takes place in an Amish community. The first one is called Sworn to Silence.

For a more light hearted series. I really enjoy Janet Evanovich other series (her main series is the Stephanie Plum series which are great stress reliever, laugh out loud stories). Her other series is the Fox and Ohare series and starts with The Heist, though there is a short prequel story I believe that is only available as a Kindle version (it took me 30 minutes to read).

I just finished "I see you" by Clare mackintosh. WOW! What a twist at the end. It was engaging enough to keep me interested in what would happen next. I kept trying to figure out who the culprit was. Nice read! Stacy, we seem to have the same taste in books. I love the Fox and O'Hare stories, Harry Bosch and Linda Castillo. Another author that deserves a shout out is David Baldacci. I've been into his books lately. Specifically the ones w/ Amos Decker as the main character as well as John Puller. Good stories. Thanks again for the ideas. I've already sent some recommendations to my local library.

Nelson Demille's John Corey series are also really good. The first one is called Plum Island. There is at least 6 out now, but I'm behind on a few right now.

I also think anything by Greg Iles is great.

An "honorable mention" category would be the Forensic Instinct series by Andrea Kane. I think the stories are good, a few cheesy subplots, but I like them enough to keep reading them. I can see her writing and story lines mature with each book in the series.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.