KK's June Check-In

Author

Cathlete
Hi Jeanette & Rhea & Jeanie & Natalie!:)

Just thought I'd start the new check in now that we're in a new month -- answered your last post, Jeanette, in the May section.

Anyway, hope all is going well for everyone. Natalie, hope you're doing well. Haven't heard from you lately.

Happy workouts, all.:7

Hi Karen, Rhea, Natalie & Jeanie,

Thanks for starting this in June, Karen. I completely spaced it yesterday.

Today's workout was TLT's Better Buns Better something. This is a good workout, I like the variety in it. It doesn't move so fast that you're afraid of getting hurt at all, as you just use a med ball (thanks Rhea, I used the 3#er and it worked great!) I helped DH on the bowflex last night. I also had a bike ride with a girlfriend. We both felt pretty strong. It was a hill climb ride. Pretty much all hill climb for 11 miles up and then return mostly downhill of course. We plan on a long 80 something mile ride on Sunday. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

DH and I are off to Reno after work to stay overnight with son and girlfriend (Cass). She and I will go to Starbucks in the morning and then do a bike path ride. She hasn't ridden this year much at all due to working on their new house. She's so strong naturally that she'll have no problem with our bike path ride.

Rhea, you made me smile about the glasses of wine at the golf course. Hey, maybe you and I could get together some time and hit some balls and then have some wine. That sounds like fun to me!

Karen, my stomach feels better today and yesterday. I believe the coconut oil is raw. It's called Nature's Way. Talk about the gas! No thanks. How's the tai chi coming? When will you start?

Must run now.

Jeanette

Good morning!

I was in Redding yesterday, so I didn't get to check in. Boring required supervisory training....zzzz.

I did get to workout however. (Cass and I cut out early and got home by 4:00 :eek: ) Hit two buckets of balls and then DH played with the guys, so I went home and worked out. I got my Kathy Smith Project You DVDS, so I did the Foundations cardio and the upper body/abs. Slower paced workout, nice and low impact. I loved the weight workout, can make it very challenging. The Foundations cardio is a bit boring, but goes fast and for those days that you just don't feel like jumping around, great. (was my mood again yesterday)

Jeanette - any time! I'm having fun and it is a challenge to the competitor in me.

Karen - I saw your latest cover yesterday, it was beautiful.

Hi Everyone!:)

Am late checking in today. But hi! Good to hear from you both.

Jeanette, I'm in the garage on my hubby's computer and so he read your post and was very impressed with your 80 mile ride. I told him you do that all the time and sometimes even more. Maybe we'll get those bikes fixed now.

Hope your night in Reno is fun. I remember Cass well and I bet you two will have fun on your ride.

Rhea, you made me laugh again with your zzzzz. Hitting the golf balls does sound like fun and a good way to get rid of tension. My daughter tells me that the kick boxing she does helps her relieve alot of her tension -- all that kicking and punching. You and Jeanette could really have fun with that -- wish I were up there so I could join you.

Well, writing went well today. I think the problem was really not knowing enough about archaeology to write about it intelligently. Still have my nose in the books, but at least I feel like I'm on firmer ground now. Will be working this weekend as I missed a couple of days this week and MUST make up for them.

Jeanette, those TLT's sound good -- I'm going to have to invest in some more. The Tai Chi isn't going as of yet -- I'm just too up in the air with this book and when I'm not writing or cooking or something, I'm reading -- trying to learn as much as I can as quickly as I can.

Oh, Rhea, I'm so glad you like my new cover. I really think it's my best yet.

It was IMAX2 for me today -- there was so much pollen outside and it was also very hot outside, even in the early morning, that I just stayed inside and did my workout in my living room. Did IMAX2 cause it's shorter than the others and I was wanting to get back to work. And of course I love the workout.

Don't know what I'm planning tomorrow -- think I'll thumb through some of my older workouts and see what I come up with.

Oh, and Jeanette, glad the stomach trouble is gone. Yea!

Have a terrific weekend everybody! And great workouts and rides!:7

Hi All!:)

Did a short workout today -- an oldie but goodie, the FIRM Calorie Killer with Nancy. It's still one of my favs. And it's nice and short. Just the thing for today.

Spent a bit of time in the kitchen today as I had some things to get prepared for the week to come. Supper's in the oven right now.

Was looking at movies and noticed a movie called Lake House -- looks really good...like a paranormal romance. But it's not out yet... Darn.

Must go -- great workouts everyone.:7

Another interesting, if somewhat unbelieveable thing has happened that I thought I'd mention before I swing off to do some work. And this is about exercise and the stimulating the HGH (the growth hormone).

From about the time I was 16 until my mid-30's, my height was 5' 3 1/2". Never varied. In my mid 30's I began to exercise and after a few years, my doctor noted that my height had gone to 5' 3 3/4". Not much, but a 1/4" rise. I figured it had to do with stretching.

So I've stayed at that height 5' 3 3/4" since then (about 20 years) -- I'm in my fifties. Then 1 1/2 years ago, I read the book, READY, SET, GO by Phil Campbell and read about stimulating the growth hormone by means of anaerobic exercise -- he describes it in his book. Haven't thought much about it, except that after anaerobic exercise, I notice that I have more energy and pep.

Yesterday, I measured my height, just because I was reading a book on clothes and getting my measurements and such. My height is now 5' 4 1/4". We measured twice just to be certain. Hmmmm...

Now the interesting thing is that I'm in that time of life when people my age are starting to lose height and bone mass. However, it appears that not only am I not losing height and bone mass, I'm gaining it.

Just thought I'd make a note of it -- today is my day off exercise -- but not work. Have to get back to it now.:7

Hi All!:)

Just my weekly Sunday, figure out the week rotation -- my last post -- about my height -- is unusual, but interesting. Especially in light of when I was in Florida and met some old friends I haven't seen in years, two of them commented on my height. I just thought it was because I was wearing pretty high heels -- but in actual fact, guess I'm just a little taller than I used to be. Hmmm....

Hope your weekends were great, Jeanette, Rhea, Natalie & Jeanie! Mine was relaxing, I must say -- though I wish I'd gotten a little more accomplished.x(

Oh, in case any of you don't want to wade through all my earlier posts, on Saturday, did Nancy Tucker's Cardio -- Calorie Killer. Forgot how much I love that workout -- and Nancy, too.

Okay, here we go:

Monday: IMAX the original (or I might try the new DVD of Step Blast -- just not sure that this is an anaerobic workout -- looks like it might have some anaerobics in it -- at least 3 cycles -- I think I'll preview it.)

Tuesday: Supersets -- one of the things I love about this full body workout is that it uses the ball -- and I'm really starting to like that ball

Wednesday: TJ's 20 minute cardio and a stretch

Thursday: ME -- will see if I can do this without getting horribly sore

Friday: Sprint 8 if the pollen count is down -- if not will probably substitue IMAX2

Saturday: One of my older workouts -- sure loved Nancy's workout -- might do that one again, or one of my Tae Bo's -- haven't done any of his workouts in a while.

Sunday: Off

Well, that's the plan. Have a super day tomorrow everyone and wonderful workouts.:7

Hi all,

Today was my long bike ride. We didn't start until around 10:45 a.m. as one of my friends wanted to go to church first. There were 5 of us, 3 ladies and 2 men, all 3 of us ladies are ages 47/48
and one of the guys is 48 too. The other guy just turned 60, but he's a great athlete and can really ride. Here are the stats:

Miles ridden: 83.79
Time taken: 5 hours, 12 minutes
Average: 16.1 mph
Max Speed: 37.5
Approx. climbing footage: 5,500'

I really needed this longer ride as the most I'd ridden this year was 57 miles (2 weeks ago). I have a century ride on the 24th, but the weekend before it, my DH and I will be camping and participating in a blackpowder shoot. That left me with this weekend or next weekend to get a longer ride in. Now the pressure is somewhat off as I feel much more ready to do 100 miles, plus that ride doesn't have near the climbing that the ride today had. The 60 year old man (Bob) commented on how strong my riding was. He does Spinervals a lot, but I got to tell him about Cardio Coach too. He's really interested in listening to my CC's. He's participated in the Senior Olympics in Utah several times, doing the bike venues. Anyway, the ride was good, I finished strong, though my legs are tired now. I'll probably not do
a Cardio Coach on Tuesday as I know my legs will still be tired so will just do an easy spin. Hopefully, by Thursday I can do a CC or a tough hill climb ride. I'd also like to get in another long ride on Sunday, though it won't have to be quite so long.

Friday, DH and I went to Reno to visit DS and Cass (his girlfriend). We had a great time, rode the bike path together and did some shopping.

Karen, that's really, really interesting about your height! Wow, you're doing something right, that's for sure. Your rotation looks good and fun too. Not sure what I'll do but probably will include some yoga tomorrow as I'm sure I will be tight in the morning. Will work with DH on the Bowflex in the evening.

Must run now.

Jeanette

Good morning Karen, Rhea, Natalie & Jeanie,

This morning was 20 minute Turbo Jam and then Eoin Finn's Power Yoga (42 minute Daily Dose of Bliss). The yoga has already made me feel so much better in the hips and hamstrings this morning! Love the feeling. Tonite will work out with DH on the Bowflex. Yesterday, my DH weighed himself and is down another couple of pounds. He's at 160 now and his goal is 155, though he will need more weight work to shape up his body. I personally think he should get down to 150 but his goal is 155 so that's what he's working towards. He's happy his stomach is getting smaller as that's mostly where the weight was.

Hope everyone has a good day today.

Jeanette

Wow, Jeanette, way to go! 83 miles -- pretty great, I think. And you have 100 miles coming up yet -- when is that one, by the way? Oh, and I think I might have asked you this once before, but what's a blackpowder shoot? If I remember correctly, it's this thing that really sounds like fun.

That's a well done for your husband -- losing weight -- any weight is not the easiest thing in the world. My weight was up today for some reason, not sure if I just overdid it yesterday or what -- but am really taking it easy today.

Am glad that your time with you DS and Cass went well -- I think it's so cool that you and she ride together.

Your workouts sounds great -- well, I was going to do IMAX -- but didn't have as much sleep last night as I would like and so I opted to do Step Blast -- as I thought the cardio might be a little easier. Boy was I wrong.

That's quite a workout -- had me really sweating -- which I always enjoy.:+ It's one I think I'll do again and again -- it was challenging -- had three intervals in it but mostly it was endurance, I think.

Writing went well today sort of. Didn't quite get in my page count, but close. And hope to do better tomorrow.

Oh, did I tell you that I ordered some new workout shoes -- they are Ryka's -- my first pair -- usually I get New Balance -- but decided to give Ryka's a try. Am still wearing them in -- but so far they are comfortable. Feels good to have a new pair -- it's something I tend to neglect for some reason.

Well, here's to a great day tomorrow -- and terrific workouts.:7

Hi Karen, Rhea, Natalie & Jeanie:

Today's workout was Cathe's CTX All Step (step only) and then 20 minutes of Karen Voight's Yoga Stretch for a 1 hour workout. After work today will be an easy spin on the bike. My legs are much less tight and puffy today. I'll focus on more water and cleaner eating as I ate 5 cookies (homemade, so they weren't small mind you) at work yesterday!

Karen, bet the Ryka's are nice. I just got some New Balance shoes, same model as my other ones but feel so much cushier. I tend to wear shoes forever and should have replaced them many months ago.

DH and I did a Bowflex workout last night. He's doing really well and shrinking. I wish I'd taken measurements of him before we started.

Oh yeah, Karen, the blackpowder shoots are where they set up targets and you shoot with a blackpowder rifle. With these rifles you load the powder in the end of the barrel, place a patch over the end, ball over the patch and then shove those 2 items down the barrel of the gun with a long rod. When you shoot the gun, there is a puff of smoke. Think of the old time Rendezvous or Jeremiah Johnson (never saw the movie so maybe I'm wrong here). Anyway lots of people dress up in the period outfits, but we don't. We just go to camp and have fun with our friends. We also throw the tomahawk and knife at targets, and also shoot the short blackpowder hand gun.

My next organized century ride is June 24th. Hopefully, it won't be too hot. Last year, it was soo cold that we had to wear booties on our feet. You can never tell about the weather here!

Must run now, good workouts!

Jeanette

Hi Jeanette & Rhea & Natalie & Jeanie!:)

Those blackpowder shoots sound like such fun. Especially to come and see people all dressed up like the old Rendezvous -- I'd love to see that -- be a part of it -- throwing the tomahawk's and knives sounds like the sort of thing that was done in the old days, as well. Like something I write about...

CTX All Step was the first Cathe workout that I ever did -- and is what brought me to Cathe -- it had come with a step -- I gave away the step anda the workout to a friend -- wish I'd kept it now:+ -- but hopefully it has a good home. And I love Karen Voight -- I have a couple of her workouts.

It is so wonderful that your hubby's body is changing for the better. Yea!

Threw out my left hip with the workout yesterday -- but kickboxing moves where you kick to the side do that sometimes to that hip -- and in the workout yesterday, it really moved fast and so there wasn't time to think about my form. Tried to keep it easy, but obviously, I didn't. Luckily, it's one of the easiest things to get back into place -- I simply roll up a towel and place it under my hips so that it feels good and ly there for about 15 minutes. Usually when I get up, the hip isn't troubling me anymore.

But what a workout Step Blast is.

Had put on a pound over the weekend, which I'm trying to take off this week -- figured the change was that I'd changed the coconut oil to a different oil -- so I'm going back to what I was using originally -- plus, I think I overdid it on breads and carbs. Low carb does work best for me.

Anyway, am off to work -- plan to do Supersets today. Love doing the full body workouts on the ball.

Have a super day everyone and great workouts.

Good morning!

Been busy....all that golfing and not enough time to do my chores! So I'm pretty busy..hahaha...

Yesterday I did the Kathy Smith Foundation's Cardio and then the lower body/abs routine. Even though the cardio barely gets me in the cardio zone (in fact yesterday I was a bit tired and so was much lower intensity), I don't mind doing the workout right now because I've been low on energy and the heat gets to me.

So, well, got to get back to work....

Talk to ya'll later.

Hi!:)

It's great to hear from you, Rhea. Was wondering how you were doing -- with all the golfing -- if it makes you miss chores, sounds good to me.;)

I think it's good to have a variety of workouts for just the reason you mentioned -- low energy, etc. I'm going to start to try to incorporate at least one different workout (different from my norm) every week -- just to keep the challenge there.

Did Nancy Tucker's Calorie Killer -- and forgot how much I like that workout -- bet it'll be the same with others.

Had a pretty good day today writing wise -- made my page count and the book is starting to shape up. Amazing how the little thing of not really knowing archaeology was holding me up. One can guess, but it then lacks the flavor of the real thing -- not that I've done the real thing -- but at least having read about it, I now understand it.

Today is was Super Sets. I really like this workout -- it's under an hour long and there's something about doing weights on a ball that I just like. Find myself reaching for it over and over.

Well, it's kitchen time for me right now -- (it's super time). Have a great evening, everyone!:7

Good morning ladies!

My workout today was High Step Challenge Timesaver premix (51 minutes). This workout flew by pretty good. I haven't done a circuit in some time as I've been lifting with DH and tonite would normally be our night to work out. However, he and I are going to drive out to the woods and take the dogs for a run. We'll probably do a little walking. Should be nice.

My bike ride was good last night. I just cruised the loop (18 miles) at a Zone 1 heart rate, just to spin out my tired legs. Think I was successful. Sometimes it can be very difficult to go slow on the bike as the tendency is to push, but that's not what was needed last night Hoping my bike ride tomorrow night can be one I can put some effort into, either a Cardio Coach or a hill climb.

Karen, hope the hip is better. Good that you know just what to do to get it under control. Sounds like the book is coming along well. When do you have to have it done? Will you be going to Reno again or is the Romance Writers convention somewhere else this year?

Rhea, do you usually golf a lot? Thought of you when I rode past your house last night. Do you walk to the golf course? Probably not if you have your bags, huh? Sounds like lots of fun. I would like to golf or hit balls with you sometime. I've only golfed like twice in my life. Does miniature golf count? Want to get together sometime in the next couple of weeks? My son has golf clubs at our house so I guess I could use them. I think it would be a blast and we could do some gabbing!

Must go now, sad day at the prison yesterday for a supervisor in our department. He got walked off grounds for making a threat to staff about a year ago. Guess it finally was finished (investigation) and termination was the outcome. I really feel for his family.

Must run, good workouts to everyone today!

Jeanette

Hi Jeanette & Rhea & Natalie & Jeanie!:)

High Step Challenge -- the 51 minute premix -- is one of my favorite workouts. Haven't done it in a while, as it's usually an add on to my rotation -- it's interesting having so many workouts to choose from, isn't it? Glad the time flew by for you, Jeanette.

Got my workout done early today -- just decided to get up and get it done before work instead of in the middle of the day, like I've been apt to do lately. So I have work yet ahead of me -- but I'm aching to get at it, at least.

Rhea, hope work is going well -- not too heavy -- and that you're able to workout as well as hit some balls. Hmmm...that last sounded odd, didn't it?

Natalie -- hope all is going well with you. Haven't heard from you lately.

It was the beginning segment of BodyMax for me today plus the stretch on the ball -- total of about 50 minutes. Haven't done BodyMax since I've arrived home, and remembered again why I like it so much. Also, I'm loving that ball more and more and find myself doing more and more workouts with it.

Hip is getting better -- but every morning I have to lie there for a while (about 15 minutes) with a towel rolled up and under my hips -- but at least it's better.

The spinning really does sound relaxing, Jeanette -- Can't wait to get our bikes fixed -- my hubby's so busy right now, I have to wait until he has a moment to do it...and I'm afraid I've got two left hands when it comes to anything mechanical.

Sorry to hear about your supervisor -- and his family -- hope he will put it behind him and move on.

Anyway, must get down to work now.

Have a wonderful day, everyone, and terrific workouts!:7

Good morning!

Sounds like everyone is keeping busy. I'm just trying to keep cool. I can't believe how warm it is...I don't do well working out in the afternoon when it is warm. I really have to ramp down the intensity.

Jeanette - anytime! Between your schedule and mine, we'll have to definately make an appointment! Starting this Thursday is the couple's league. I hope I don't embarass myself! I'm just a beginner and half my shots are really nasty.

Karen - I'm glad the hip is getting better and the book is coming along. Chores are a great thing to skip, but they add up if you "forget" for too long!

Okay, yesterday I did the pilates and the yoga flex part of the Kathy Smith workout. I'm stiff today. I've got to incorporate the yoga into everyday for a while so I can gain that flexibility, especially between the shoulders. Between the shoulders gets a lot of work between workouts and golf. Eeek.

Have a great workout! Don't work too hard.

Good morning,

Today was Imax2 (1-5 intervals) and then 20 minutes of Bryan Kest's Power Yoga. I forgot how fun Imax2 is! Always love interval #2 probably the best. The power yoga was nice. Will be doing a hill climb bike ride after work. Have to test myself in the heat, though it hasn't been a scorcher, but always takes getting used to again. DH and I took the dogs out to the woods last night and we also did a short hike up to a pond that was nice.

Rhea, are you golfing with your DH? Should be fun. Yep, I'd like to get together sometime soon to golf (hit balls) whatever. What does next Wednesday look like for you? let me know. I'm loving the yoga and it's helping me with those upper body tweaks that I experience as I age. No Mexican food lunch yesterday as Alene and her DH had to go down to San Fran at the last minute to put his dad in an assisted living facility. We'll try to hook up with her next week again.

Karen, I too am hoping the hip is getting better. Glad you liked Body Max. That's one I don't own. If I were closer, I'd help you get the bike ready, but...

Must go now,

Jeanette

Good morning!

Karen - you must be busy writing away!

Jeanette - Wednesday would be great for me, but unfortunately, the range closes at 4:15 on every Weds so they can cut the grass the next day. It takes quite a while for the ball boys to make sure there is not a ball to be found. (I guess it can really hurt the mower) I always forget that it closes...yesterday I wanted to hit balls and couldn't.

So how much exercise do you think golf gives you? I'm finding it harder to get both the workouts in and my golfing. (my goodness, I can't believe I'm saying that!) However, the only way to get better is to continue playing. Plus I have way too much fun at the club house when I'm done. I usually end up helping bartend. :eek: Then I don't get dinner until reallll late.

Well, suppose I should get some type of work done.

Yes, I've been trying to make up on my page counts -- yesterday wasn't as good a day -- but today was better, and the story is starting to take on life (thank goodness). But have been up early working on it -- then I exercise at noon and eat and get dressed and then write some more.

Anyway, the Rhea, the golf really sounds like fun -- especially all the fun afterwards -- my mother always golfed and I think it was the social life that she liked more than anything. Bet it is fun.

And keeping up with the workouts, too -- go, Rhea.

Jeanette, isn't IMAX2 fun? I will probably do it tomorrow -- I really wanted to do a Sprint 8 tomorrow but the pollen count here is too high -- didn't get outside at all today until after super -- and then I took a walk with a mask on -- due to all the pollen.

Hope the ride was great -- and I wish you lived closer yourself -- I'd join you for some of those rides. When I was in high school, bike riding was one of those things I did just to get out and "think." And enjoy the country. Also, when I lived in Vermont, my ex and I used to go bike riding alot -- it's so beautiful there.

Sounds like some good workouts, Rhea and Jeanette -- tomorrow, again, I guess I'll do IMAX2 just because I enjoy it so much. Oh, one more thing -- did ME today -- realized one of the reasons I like this workout so much is how good I feel after I've done it -- I might really be sore tomorrow, but for some reason that workout really makes me feel good.

And the new workout shoes are good -- I'm so used to my New Balance, that they felt strange at first -- but now I like them.

Have a wonderful evening, and terrific workouts tomorrow.:7

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.