January 2018 Damage Control

I had a great time with my Oregon family!! I'm home now and back to business. I didn't gain any weight while away, yay. I only worked out once for 30 minutes in the hotel. I did play and even swim some laps in the pool with the girls and I also walked a couple of times. Yesterday I did a BR w/o. Got in my 1 gallon of water too! I left early on Friday and wanted to make up my time and not have to use PTO. That is done as yesterday was an 11 hour day. I think my fitbit flex has died. The only other ones that are waterproof is the Flex 2 or the Ionic. Since I use my polar for all my activity, I'm going to order the Flex 2. I think the Ionic is $299, more than my polar.

I'm so sorry you re-injured your back. Maybe your back just wasn't ready for a workout. CSS is great low impact w/o that would be awful if that one is off the table. Yay to be back at the weight you want! That is great. Can you do UB body weights and walking? I know, probably not what you want to do but it's better than doing nothing.

bbl

Hello!

So happy to hear you enjoyed your visit. I dreamed last night that DS2 and his girlfriend got married. I think I'm really hoping for that as well as some grandchildren!

PT was rough yesterday. I did relock the left SI joint at some point last weekend. PT thought I did too much too soon. What??? I can't get much more low impact than CSS! Anyway...he worked on me and I feel looser today. I have to stretch now about a 1/2 hour in the morning and 20 min. at bedtime. I even stretched during my supper at work last night-the more stretching the better I think. I'm going to stick to the pool until I don't have any pain in my back. I bought some moisturizing bath soap/lotion and additional lotion for when I'm done in the pool. I'm still tracking my meals, trying to limit added sugars, and trying to limit snacking at night. When I was off that was not a problem, but I had some graham crackers at work last night. I'm drinking water, coffee, and tea and trying to get rid of the bloat in my abd.

I think my Fitbit is dying. It won't keep a charge like it used to-is that the beginning of the end? I probably won't get another one though if/when it dies. I feel like I'm getting enough sleep working these hours and will probably be walking a lot when the roads are not full of ice and snow.

Off to the pool!

Beth

I'm glad to hear the PT was able to loosen you up a bit. Sounds like the pool it is for a bit. What are you tracking your meals in? I'm a big fan of myfitnesspal and have used it for years. I used fitday to track prior to using MFP. Right now I'm only tracking in WW. I used to try to also track in MFP, but have better luck when I just follow the program I'm on at the time.

I bought my original flex in 2013. I'm not surprised its dying. I did try cleaning all the connection points on the fitbit itself, inside the charger, and in the band. I also used a paperclip to reset it but it's not coming back to life. I'm not sure which fitbit you have, but there are solutions to most issues. I think I got a ton of use from mine. I really only use it for steps so will most likely get the flex 2. I always wear my polar so I don't need a watch. My backup fitbit is the Surge and it's been discontinued. You can find those online for pretty cheap if you want one.

DS2's WRX is in the shop-It sounds like it needs a new clutch. It has less than 40K miles. All that means is that he will continue living here..UGH. He can't catch a break, but he bought a brand new car well before he could actually afford it.

bbl

Hello!

How is your week going? That is awful news about your DS2's car. It never ends.

I'm rolling along with therapy and the pool. Work is work...My life is pretty boring! What are you up to this weekend? I have to work so I don't have too much else going on. It's supposed to warm up here so we're hoping to get the cars all started (so exciting, huh?!).

Beth

I have my WW meetings on Friday mornings so I miss my morning workout. I should be able to fit one in later today. My weight was up a tad, but nothing to concern myself with. It was expected with the travel. I did order the fitbit flex2 yesterday and will get 4% cash back from ebates. :) It's not a lot, but better than nothing. This weekend I hope to get the basement squared away. We have a ton of empty boxes to be broken down and taken to the recycle, then organize some stuff and vacuum. Good news on DS's car. The estimate was $1700. He was 1500 miles outside of his warranty. He called subaru of america and they covered all but $300. Of course he didn't even have that, so I paid for it and he is to pay me back.

Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better. Sounds like PT and the pool are what works best for you. Keep it up.

Yesterday I did a BR w/o and the next STS disc in the und. rotation. It was Disc 33-SBT. I got in my gallon of water and my clean/org task was getting all the boxes from Christmas gifts, amazon boxes etc. broken down and take to the recycle. My basement looks a little better now. This morning I have a haircut appt. and grocery shopping. I hope to get in my w/o later, but it's always a crap shoot if it doesn't happen in the morning.

Good morning!

I survived my weekend at work. I did little else besides stretch and work. Oh- I did take a 1/2 hour walk Sat. outside because it was finally above 30 degrees here! To be honest, I'm afraid to do any workouts. PT appt. today at 11:30 so I'll ask his recommendations. I just don't want to overdo it.

Are you starting back in Feb. with regular rounds of STS instead of the undulating? How did the haircut turn out? Working on organizing is such a good, cold weather activity! I need to do more of it.

I have book club tonight and cards before that, so my day off feels awful busy. I hope your work week is not too busy/long.

Beth

Sunday I ended up doing CLB in the afternoon, that's new for me. I had my stylist give me bangs again. I'm still undecided if I like it or not. I had them most of my life, maybe the last 7 or 8 years I haven't. This morning I did a BR w/o and tonight was CCC.

My feet are really bothering me. I have bunions on both feet, and had 5 surgeries on my right foot including 3 bunionectomies. The flexion is less and less and the joint is painful. I'm going to have a dr. look at it and let me know if they can do anything for my right foot. I'm sure a bunionectomy is in store for my left foot. The issue with the right foot is impacting my alignment, my workouts, my balance, my right knee is hurting again. It's time to do something about it.

I haven't decided what I'm going to do next. I'm really liking the BR Live w/o's, they are so effective and a good combination of cardio/weights. I still haven't even used my Cathe Live or On Demand. Oh, I took a leap of faith and paid off one of the 2 student loans. Hope I don't regret it. If all goes well, perhaps I can pay off the other one next month. I just want them to be done.

Beth-hope all goes well with PT. Maybe you can just focus on weights for a while. Enjoy Book Club.

bbl

Hi!

Bangs again! I want to change my hair again, too; but am afraid. How do you like them? It seems that I can always do a better job at styling than my hairdresser since it gets all flat from her combing it to cut it. I'm tired of putting mine up all the time!

I stretched a lot on Monday then had PT and talked to him about being afraid to work out. He wants me to try something not too extreme on Wed. since I have an appt. on Thursday. After PT I did some cardio machines (elliptical and treadmill) at the gym for 15 min. each then sat in the hot tub. I still feel ok right now. I'm planning on going to the pool today. I haven't decided what to do yet on Wed. I do need to get back to some weights so maybe a metabolic type workout. Book club was ok. But honestly, I'd rather have just been home with DH since we get so few nights to eat dinner together any more. I had no dinner and just snacked at bridge and book club and am down a pound! It'll probably come right back, but I'm going to try to keep limiting calories since I feel like I'm barely working out. Damage control one way or the other, right!

BR sounds awesome. I like cardio and weights together. I hope your feet get straightened out. I have a feeling my PT stretches are going to be eternal. Maybe you can get some stretches to help your feet. DH had Plantar Fascititis and got stretches for his back which helped keep everything open. Let me know what happens.

Beth

This morning was a BR workout and I got in a 30 min walk this afternoon. The next STS disc in the rotation has push ups in it. I do a lot of push ups already and my shoulder can't take doing so many push ups in one workout. I think tomorrow I will do the STS disc for the same muscle groups but from Meso 2. I have screws in my right foot and probably some arthritis now too. I'm wondering if they can remove the screws and clean out any crap and give me back some mobility and alleviate the pain. The gal that cuts my hair usually blow drys it straight and I really like it. I usually just leave it curly most of the time at home. It's just hair, if I don't like it then I can let it grow back. The bangs are easier for me as they keep the hair out of my face. Otherwise I have to pull it back so the curly mess isn't in my face or dry and straighten. My weight was down today too. :)

Great job with the treadmill and elliptical!! The hot tub sounds awesome. DH would love to have a hot tub. Stretching should be part of everyone's routine.

Today I did BR w/o in the morning. Then I sat on my butt in meetings and work all day. It was a 10 hour day today. Work is crazy busy. I thought it would be slower at the beginning of the year, but that has not been the case.

How are you doing and what are you up to?

Hello!

I feel like all I do is stretch! I should try to do some at work during my dinner 1/2 hour to break it up some. I can't believe you're still so busy...job security, right?! Wed. I ended up doing Athletic Training-it was pretty fun and got some weights in! Thursday I stretched and had PT. My left side is better and he wants me to try some impact this weekend. I did not have any time to workout yesterday with PT. I'm still trying to eat as clean as possible (did have two pieces of fudge and some pretzels yesterday, so am far from perfect!). Today I'm going to try another circuit type workout.

Off to make some soup and workout before work. Do you have any weekend plans? I want to walk with the vest, try out a new restaurant in town, and clean a bit (no soccer this weekend).

Beth

Yesterday I did a BR w/o in the morning. The plan was to do the STS disc, but I wasn't feeling it. Instead I did RWH HCUB. This morning was my WW meeting and my weight was basically the same as last week. I was on track all week, worked out 6 days and drank my 1 gallon of water each day. I know I'm a slow loser so am not really concerned with it. I'm removing the 10K steps per day from my goals. It's just not realistic at for me at this time. Once the weather warms up and I can get outside then I will get back to it. My coach at the gym said one time: If you aren't meeting your goal, you either need to increase your action to meet the goal, or modify your goal to make it attainable. You need have successes in your life to keep you motivated and driven. My cleaning/organizing goal for this weekend is my office/girls room. I use a drafting table as my desk and don't have any filing or drawers to put all my work papers in. I need to figure something out for that this weekend.

Glad you are finally feeling better. My eating will never be perfect, I enjoy small indulgences. Oh, I had a glass of wine last weekend, the hot flashes and night sweats were horrible that night. What circuit w/o did you end up doing? I'm still trying to decide what w/o to do at lunch today.

bbl

I ended up doing x10-double low impact +fat burning segment (with modifications). Now, of course, my right side is hurting. I have PT Monday and Thursday again next week so will reevaluate then, I guess. Today is pool and tomorrow is weight vest walk. I'll probably do all my therapy exercises too-planks and some body weight stuff.

Beth

No workout yesterday. I ate crap all day too. My morning workout really sets the tone for the day and I make better food choices. I had time at lunch to workout but non of my workouts looked good to me. This morning I did BR w/o-Legs, and Plyo Hiit-the one without the step. I was looking for a short cardio and this fit the bill. My MIL is in the hospital with some kind of bug. We thought it was the flu, but that test came back negative. It sounds like they are keeping her another night. I finally had some time to find a foot Dr. nearby that is on my insurance plan. My appt is next Friday. Hopefully she can help with the pain and mobility issues.

Oh no, sorry to hear you are hurting. Enjoy the pool!

Sorry to hear about your MIL. Getting the correct diagnosis is most of the battle. Then the right treatment can begin. Glad you found a foot doctor, but with as many workouts as you get in it doesn't seem like your foot is stopping you! The pool felt good on Sat. Then work called and I went in extra for 4 hours-ened up being 5 with paperwork, but it was ok. I slept in today until nearly 10! For once I didn't wake up at night with either side of my back hurting. I foam rolled and stretched my right hamstring A LOT yesterday and the pain is much, much bettter. Today I'm going to do the elliptical and hot tub. We're going out to dinner with my brother and his fiance (of 5 years) and my parents for my dad's birthday. I almost hate to go out because I'm at such a good weight. Fruit and veggies all day until we go out. I'm only having 1 glass of wine, too.

Beth

This morning I did Imax 3 and tried to do a BR w/o afterwords. My legs, glutes and quads could not handle another workout. Yesterday was legs and I didn't really feel sore, but Imax 3 really wore me out. and my legs were toast after that. I spent the afternoon with my MIL. She was released from the hospital last night. She is still pretty tired and lethargic. Her flu test came back negative but they did say she is fighting some kind of infection. They basically suspect her blood sugar rose (214) and her blood pressure crashed which is why she passed out. As far as my workouts, I just modify and work around those exercises that are painful or throw me out of alignment-I sub side lunges for standard lunges or front/back/lunges. Only doing step workouts 1 per every week or two helps too.

Yay for sleeping in. DH and I were up at 6 this morning. Not unusual for him, but definitely for me. Glad your back isn't hurting, perhaps foam rolling is the ticket! It's one meal, enjoy it. I love my wine, but I noticed that the nights I drink I wine, I end up having hot flashes at night. So frustrating.

Off to do laundry and make a grocery list, since I didn't get those tasks taken care of earlier today.

Hello!

I had a busy Monday-got up early and drove an hour to our yearly (every 15 months) dermatology appt. with DH. Skin is all good, just some eczema. Then got home and walked to the pool for a workout. Left from there to go to PT for over an hour since he iced me at the end and left there to go to cards for two hours. I hate being that busy on my days off! I try to limit it to two things outside the house, but everything fell on yesterday. At least I got a workout in! PT said the muscles on my right side were tight, but the joint didn't lock. He felt that I was compensating for the left by using the right more and that led to the injury. He worked his magic on the right and said not to jump for a while. I'm going to try some type of light weights for upper body today before work. I wanted to do laundry yesterday, but didn't get to it. So I'm off to do that now!

How is your week? I'm glad to hear your MIL is out of the hospital.

Beth

I did a BR w/o yesterday. Today I did short BR w/o in the morning and then Tabatacise at lunch. I started on our taxes last night. We still need a few more things but it's probably 85% done. Shouldn't take more than 30 minutes or so finish it up once I get the last few documents I need. I bit the bullet and paid off both student loans. I just don't want to keep paying on them. It will probably take a month for the checking account to recover, but after that I'm bumping up our savings. This is the year to increase our cash savings. I'm hoping DH will come around to getting the house updated this year. I checked in with my MIL and she is doing great she said.

Wow, well you did get a lot accomplished on your day off. Glad the PT was able to workout the soreness. Perhaps just a weight rotation mixed in with your pool days/walking would work right now. I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do next. Just winging it for a few days until I come up with something.

Good job paying off the student loans! I think that's a reason to celebrate!!! We are planning on doing our taxes tomorrow. DH is hoping for a good sized return.

I ended up doing the Upper Body Split from Total Body Trisets yesterday. Weights were what I consider moderate...but at least I didn't hurt anything. I agree with what you said about weights with the pool and walking. I remember feeling really good doing two total body/week mixed in with lower impact cardio conditioning. I'm going to try to work up to that. Both hips feel ok right now. I'm taking today off as a rest day. I've done five days in a row per the calendar and feel tired. I might walk up to the library later this morning just to get a little fresh air and read the local paper there.

Our latest book club book is called American Pastoral by Phillip Roth. It's really dense and I've only finished one chapter. There's a lot of commentary on different subjects-like crime, wealth, growing up Jewish, etc. It's about a golden boy and his life. So far everything seems peachy for him, but I have a feeling his world will fall apart.

Beth

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.