Is Oatmeal considered a protein or a carb?

lov2bfit

Cathlete
I try never to eat carbs alone and to always include a protein, so I was just wondering if it's okay to eat oatmeal by itself. With milk it has around 9 grams of protein. Is that enough to be able to eat it on it's own and not create a spike in your blood sugar?

Thanks,

Katie

Oatmeal is a complex carb, which will never spike your blood sugar. And yes, milk does add a substantial amount of protein. So, no worries.

-Nancy

Oatmeal is carb. And milk? Protein? Sure... but it also contains loads of carbs... lactose? That is carbs. So its carbs, carbs and protein.

Here is the breakdown:

.5 cup of oatmeal (raw, before cooking)
1 cup of skim milk
you have 236 cal, 65% carbs 22% protein and 13% fat

OR

.5 cup oatmeal
1 cup skim milk
1 scoop whey protein powder
you have 346 cal, 51% carbs 36% proteinand 13% fat

I'd go with adding protein powder. Mari
:)

A 1/2 cup serving of Quaker Old Fashioned Oatmeal has 27g of carbs, 5g of protein and 3g of fat. My calculations say that it's 77% carbs, 14% protein and 9% fat. That's right off of my oatmeal container here at work. The fat breakdown is .5g saturated, 1g polyunsaturated and 1g monounsatured.

I add 1 scoop of protein powder at 20g protein, 3g carb and 1g fat to make it more balanced.

But how many of those carbs are fiber (I'm guessing off-hand about 5?) That would reduce the actual digestible carb content.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.