I got someone arrested....(long)

Reese777

Cathlete
I have taken care of cats regularly since 1997 when my hubby and moved into this house. Since then we've rescued over 50 cats out of our own finances. Today, a man that lives in an apartment down the road from us brought us a tiny sandy colored kitten approximately 12 weeks old. The kitten was injured by another person that lives near this guy. Apparently this complete b*st*rd swung this poor little kitten against the wall by his tail. Two hours later this same man brought us another cat - full grown male - that had been beaten and kicked. He had blood on his chin and his nose had been bleeding, and he was limping. It was very sad. We found out there was a second tiny kitten that had actually been killed by this creep.

We took the two live cats in to the vet on an emergency call, and the tiny kitten may have a broken pelvis, broken femur, or both. We probably won't know the details until tomorrow. I was happy beyond words that the doctors didn't think that the kitten has a spinal cord injury because he was laying so still when he first came to us that I was really worried about that. Then if he DID move, he would just shriek with pain - which was heart breaking. The doctor also said his breathing was rapid so his diaphram may be ruptured (!!!!!)

The adult cat was super spooked either by his maltreatment by this guy or the fact that he was pulled from familiar surroundings and taken to us, or both. He wouldn't eat though, and that made me worry he might have internal injuries. The doctor is also going to have to do an autopsy on the dead kitten, and document with photos - a job I will never envy her for.

The man that did these horrible things is facing 3 felony cats of animal cruelty which carries a sentence of 2-5 years PER charge! Pray with me that he will get the max sentence on each charge. He has already been arrested (woohoo!) When the officer took the information to the station, it was the prosecuting attorney that "demanded" that all of these tests be done on the live cats and the autopsy on the deceased kitten. Keep fingers crossed for me that the state will pay the expenses on these things too, because it may be around $1000 and I do NOT have that kind of money!

I will update you on the condition of the cats as I hear about them.

Lori

How cruel :( I can't understand how people can be so mean to poor innocent creatures. My MIL rescued a kitten that had been beaten and he's still afraid of his shadow a few years later. Poor baby has to be coaxed out to be petted and bolts at the slightest movement. keep us updated.

Oh, that is about the saddest thing I've heard in a long time!
Who can be so evil to harm a defenseless animal....
You are a truly wonderful person!

How Evil and Cruel - I can only hope what goes around comes around....including the goodness of your kind and generous heart - people like you make me believe there's some small hope for humanity....We are praying that this man is put away....cruelty to animals is PROVEN statistically to go right to child and woman abuse too.......many of them lack the capacity to even see what they do is wrong as they were probably treated that way too.....

You are from God.....and I pray justice prevails for the most helpless of God's creatures.....

Lori you did not get this bastard arrested...he got himself arrested for the horrible things he did. What you did was save more innocent lives. Thank goodness for people like you.

Deedee

Lori,

I have such admiration and respect for you. Thankyou for helping this kitten and the cat. You also showed me that there are wonderful people in this world as I was beginging to doubt. I will pray that this miserable man gets the max and I will keep you and the kitten and the cat in my prayers.

Thankyou again for being such a wonderful person.

Sincerely
Lisa

Thank you for speaking up for these kitties; animals need people like you. You have saved countless other animals from the abuse, and these from further abuse. I will say a prayer for the two you were able to save. There is a very special place in hell for people like that man - hopefully on earth too. He deserves nonstop punishment, and nothing less. Oh - it makes me so angry. I am generally not an aggressive person, but I really think I could seriously harm somebody like this. Thank you, thank you, thank you for turning him in. You are an angel to the sweet, innocent kitties of the world. I have just had some huge vet bills on my end, but I am happy to paypal you something if needed to help out these cats.

Hello All,

I just found out from the vet that this little kitten (whom we have named "Sandy" because of the color of his coat) has TWO broken legs - both back legs are broken so he is facing surgery to put pins in them and then a long road of recovery.

The kitten that died had a head injury as well as broken bones. The vet opined that the kitten probably had his head knocked hard against the wall, which sickens me.

Thankfully, the adult cat only appears to be stoved up in his hips, but if that isn't improved in the morning, they will xray him too.

Thanks to ALL of you for your prayers and kind words. I do know that in my state, felony animal cruelty carries a confinement range of 2-5 years - and they've charged him with 3 counts, so he's facing 6-15 years. He also has charges of credit card fraud against him. I do believe you are right that this horrible behavior eventually progresses to aggression to humans, and the woman that lives with this man is pregnant!!! Hopefully he'll be put away for a very very long time so she won't have to subject her baby to the cruelty of this man and possibly lose her child.

Shana Banana, thanks so much for your offer! YOu are too kind, but I am holding out a strong hope that at the least the state/city will cover the costs of the autopsy, xrays and blood work because they are using that information for their court case. I may have to pay for the "treatment" which I know will be expensive, but hopefully will be somewhat manageable. Maybe in the end, the state will pay the entire bill - which would be so wonderful so keep us in your prayers that they city/state will come through for us. In the mean time, I am going to cancel my STS order to get that money back :( which hurts but is for a very worthy cause.

I will continue to keep you all posted on the outcome as I get more information.

Arrrgh - no, don't cancel! I know that at least 8 people would put in $25 each. That would cover your cost for that. Well, if you preordered first. I dont' know what it is now, but I know you could get it.

Girls, men - what do you think? Can we help her out to at least not have to cancel her order?

I am so glad that the grown cat should be ok. Poor baby kitten, but it looks like he will be able to recover and hopefully forget about this with lots of love to come in his life now.

>Arrrgh - no, don't cancel! I know that at least 8 people
>would put in $25 each. That would cover your cost for that.
>Well, if you preordered first. I dont' know what it is now,
>but I know you could get it.
>
>Girls, men - what do you think? Can we help her out to at
>least not have to cancel her order?
>
>I am so glad that the grown cat should be ok. Poor baby
>kitten, but it looks like he will be able to recover and
>hopefully forget about this with lots of love to come in his
>life now.

Make that 9, I would be happy to help.

NOOOOOO dont cancel-I too will chip in whatever. Please dont cancel. Just let me know and I will help with whatever you need.

Lisa

Oh my goodness, please don't cancel! I will pitch in too. I'm so grateful that you were able to save these poor kitties. I have rescued two and I love them so dearly I would do anything for them. Let me know if I can paypal you some funds so you can still get STS.

Allison

http://www.picturetrail.com/allisonj90

WOW! You guys are soooo incredibly sweet! Let me update you all on the situation.

First, the adult male apparently was just beaten and stoved up pretty badly, so he can come home today. I'm so glad he didn't have internal injuries or anything.

Second, the kitten has two broken femurs and will probably go into surgery today to have pins put in to correct the breaks.

Third, the arresting officer is seeing the DA today, to determine what funds will be applied to the bill. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that he is going to push to have the autopsy paid for, plus the blood work and xrays. However, the surgery will more than likely not be paid for by the city. I'm of the opinion that the courts should require this total jerk that did these things to pay restitution and then collect his stuff and sell it, but whether this will happen, I don't know, and plus, it's likely to take months before a judgment is decided on this case because the system is sooo slow.

So, here's what I was thinking. I'm curious to know your thoughts on the matter. I was speaking with my DH about Sandy and his costs and he suggested we contact a news crew about donations for his treatment. I started thinking that this could help us out in more than one way - if we make the story not only about Sandy, but about what we do with our rescue efforts, the funds may be enough to cover the entire bill we have with the vet. Plus, if you guys are still interested in giving to this cause, I could send you a link to the news story, and you could contribute that way - and this will also rest your minds if any of you may have doubts about the validity of the story (which I completely understand).

What do you think???

I like the idea of involving the media. You'd be raising the issue of animal welfare, and maybe the response from the local community will help in getting this creep the maximum jail time. Plus, it would give you a good way to help get back some of the money you've shelled out... and us an easy way to help, too!!

Involve the public/media! The outpouring of support you get will be amazing. Most people are outraged by these types of horrid things!

Updates: I found out a bit ago that the surgery on Sandy will be $800-$1000 (feel free to pass out here...uug).

I'm so happy you all were supportive of the media idea! I've called two local news crews with the story idea, and one was more receptive than the other one. The first one did not like the idea of asking for donations, so I got a new idea to side step that.

I have thought of a name for a website location - of course it will be rough, because we'd be tossing it together before the news story (if that even comes to fruition) but we could give the website address on air during the news story and encourage people to go there, and then ask for the donations there - and give info on how to submit those donations.

I will keep you posted - and of course, send links if and when they become available. I also hope to post pics of little Sandy soon too so you can see first hand how adorable he is, as well as what he has endured.

Thanks so much for being supportive of me during this - it's nice to know that other people have compassion for animals too.

Is there a local rescue/shelter that you can link up with for help? It'll open you up to even more people who would care enough to donate money.

Good job, by the way. :) I have no doubt animals know enough to be thankful and recognize a kind heart when they see one, and they see one in you.

>Involve the public/media! The outpouring of support you get
>will be amazing. Most people are outraged by these types of
>horrid things!

Exactly! Hope all goes well for you and the man ends up in jail for a long time. He should be thrown against the wall as fas as I'm concerned.

That is utterly horrifying. I'm glad that man was arrested--poor kitties.

I know our local media often covers tragic stories and includes information on a bank account where donations can be deposited. The public is always willing to help when a story of this nature comes to their attention. Don't give up.

God bless you for taking them in and caring for them.

Maggie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.