How long after hysterectomy will I have this belly?

lucinda

Hello Cathe or anyone who may know the answer to this one:

I had a hysterectomy a year and a month ago, I understand that to do these operations the doctor pumps air into your stomach for easier access. but......

How long is it supposed to take before the belly goes down?
It is big and round..
One friend at work told me it took 2 years before it went down for her.

I've tried Abwork, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Hi Lucinda,

It has been one year and five months since my hysterectomy. My swollen belly has finally started to go away! My belly was tender for over one year, still a tiny bit tender. It takes a while to go away. Did you have abdominal surgery? I did, if you did remember that they pull open those mucsles. It just takes a while for the trauma to go away.

Hang in there, it gets better and better!

Hi Kay, thank you for your response, makes me feel better.

So should I be doing Abwork at all? Is it a waste of time? Will it interfere with my recovery? Will it interfere with my progress, or will it improve it?

Abdominal surgery? Well, the cut is right across from side to side under the belly at the hair line.

So I have to just wait.......? Ohhhh.!
I wish it went faster. I thought my belly was ruined when I saw it like that... whew!! Thank you again.

Hi!

I can relate! I had a total hysterectomy due to uterine cancer just 6 wks ago. I'm now cancer free (yay!!!) and I began working out again this week. I know what you mean about the swelly belly. Some days mine isn't there and then other days it's pretty poofy. Seems to get poofier if I overdo it. I have the smile incision too and it seems to swell like a little ledge above the scar. It's sooooo annoying. I'm a small person, weigh 100 lbs, so the *#@* poof feels like it's sticking out a mile and really bothers me. But we're not alone if that's any consolation. This is a normal occurance after this surgery. My plan of attack is to keep working out including lots of ab work and try to eat the best I can and avoid any foods that will cause additional bloat! The hardest part is trying to be patient until the swelling goes away.

I am so grateful to Cathe. Because of her workouts I was in great physical shape before my surgery and it has made my recovery very smooth. Many people I know who have had hysterectomies said they couldn't stand up straight for a week or more afterwards. I was able to stand up straight the day after surgery and I know it's because of all the back and ab work I've done with Cathe's dvds.

Try to hang in there and know I'm right there with you! Our workouts will make us feel better and help us beat the swelly belly!

Take care,
Lorrie

Hi Lucinda and Lorri,

My incision is in the same place, and yes I completely understand that poof and ledge look. It does get better! My incision is finally fading and is no longer dark purple. The ledge is flat now, and any poofiness is diminishing.

Lorri, I am so glad to hear that you are cancer free!!!!! How wonderful! How scary that must have been. I am rejoicing with you!

Lucinda, by all means keep up your ab work. I believe that Cathe recommends three times per week. It will help to tighten up those muscles that have been stretched and traumatized. Eat healthy and just concentrate on fully recovering. Be patient...and skip and smile when you go down the feminine product isle at the grocery store. :) :)

Hang in there!

Thank you again Lorri and Kay!

Lorri, what a horrible thing to have to go through! congratulations on your recovery.

Kay, I will continue to do the abwork as you suggest.

boy it sure does take time to heal !! I thought I was doomed with this belly. I'm glad to know that it WILL go away.

Thank you for your encouragement!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.