How long after a cortisone shot do I have to wait?

FitMom

Cathlete
Last April, I posted about hurting my knee. I finally made it to the Dr. to find out what I had done, last week. He said I had strained my MCL and gave me a cortisone shot right in the knee (ouch!). Well my knee finally feels great and I'm so ready to get to running and stepping again. My dh said that I probably should wait until I'm completely healed. How am I supposed to know when my knee is completely healed since it feels just fine ever since the shot? I had planned on starting with a light run in the morning, but now I'm worried I could cause more damage to my knee.

I would appreciate any advice. Thanks :)

Alli
http://home.comcast.net/~fitmom/allisigpostboard.jpg
"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt and dance like no one's watching.."
~JBJ~

Hi Alli,

First off, cortisone shots hide pain, it's not healed by any means, the reason it feels find is you got a 3 month long pain killer in it. Check with your doctor before even think about doing exercise. Most of the time with cortisone shots, you won't feel you over stressed the injured area, until your flat on your face. As you more then likily won't even feel the pain, even if you snap a tendon in that area right now. So you will have 0 warning about over doing it, with that knee. Most doctors will give you the shot send you home, with no exercise and then the next visit re-eveluate and then decide to send you to physical therapy or give you another shot. Very few ever allow you to exercise with a cortisone shot unless you have a physcial therapist or personal trainer and they are willing to work with you and monitor you and make sure you don't over do it. And in 3 to 5 months you'll know if it's healed or not, that pain will come back if it's not, and for the first few days, it feels a whole lot worse, but then you get use to it again.

Kit

When I got a cortisone shot in my foot (between my toes no less) the podiatrist said I could work out the next day. However, your condition sounds much more complicated than mine, which was some kind of neuralgia. I have felt any pain since and it has been more than three months. Check with your doc.

--Lois

"If I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning" - Mahatma Ghandi

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.