Heart Rate Question

janeybz

Cathlete
I broke my wrist in January and so I was off Cathe for a awhile and then when I started working out again I did some Youtube workouts - pretty much low impact and I wasn't breathing nearly as hard as when I do some of Cathe's workouts. And yet, my heart rate is higher with the lower impact, "easier" workouts I was doing from some of the Youtube programs. I am back doing some of Cathe's workouts that used to be pretty easy for me (today was CTX 10-10-10) and I am huffing and puffing like crazy, but my heart rate is not all that high. Can someone explain to me why this is? I guess I just thought that feeling like I was working so hard - getting out of breath - would be reflected in a higher heart rate.

Hmmm.... a puzzle ... (glad you are healed and are able to get back into your fitness regimen ;)). Since supposedly the Perceived Exertion test (breathlessness) is supposed to correlate breath with heart rate, this is a puzzle. A couple of things come to mind ... 1) check your heart rate monitor, if using, with a real-time check with your fingers on a pulse; 2) Any new medications that may interfere with heart rate? .... some blood pressure and other medications don't allow the heart to beat too high.

Hi, I think it all depends on what muscle you are using. I also find myself with a lower heart rate but breathing hard and at times breathing hard but the heart rate is not that high. I would not let these numbers have an impact on enjoying your workouts (I'm not saying that you are not enjoying them), sometimes there are other factors involved that can have an impact on breathing and heart rate. As long as you are in your normal heart rate range, I think you are doing fine and burning up those calories. ;)

Sometimes I notice that I (unintentionally) hold my breath during a strength rep or cardio move. I then breathe harder to compensate. Maybe that is coming into play here?

Thank you! I appreciate our insights. I will just keep on working out! :) Maybe doing some more low impact stuff, since I don't really enjoy gasping for breath and if my heart rate is still getting into the zone without gasping for breath.... why not take it a little easier on myself. ;)

I broke my wrist in January and so I was off Cathe for a awhile and then when I started working out again I did some Youtube workouts - pretty much low impact and I wasn't breathing nearly as hard as when I do some of Cathe's workouts. And yet, my heart rate is higher with the lower impact, "easier" workouts I was doing from some of the Youtube programs. I am back doing some of Cathe's workouts that used to be pretty easy for me (today was CTX 10-10-10) and I am huffing and puffing like crazy, but my heart rate is not all that high. Can someone explain to me why this is? I guess I just thought that feeling like I was working so hard - getting out of breath - would be reflected in a higher heart rate.
Since getting my Fitbit I have found the same thing. During Cathe's interval workouts. my heartrate is lower during the blasts, especially if it is one that is near to the floor. Yet I felt like I was working out harder.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.