Healthy Eating Check-in Week of 7-19 thru 7-25

Mckmain

Cathlete
I've missed you girls, Gina, Lori, Liz! This is my 9th week of the vegetarian version of Eat to Live. I even lost another lb. I was shocked. I tried a great vegetarian chili recipe last night from the book with a few modifications, even tried some Tofutti sour cream and it was awesome. I do believe my taste buds are changing as I even like Tofu more and more...my DH is down 30 lbs and I am so pround of him doing so well...:)...Carole

Hi Carole, Well done on the pound and congratulations to your DH. I have read about Eat to Live and it sounds like a good program, though in my current situation, I don't know whether I would have the tenacity to stick with it - I'm always after a good vegetarian recipe though! :)

I have been doing OK - had my colonoscopy/gastroscopy last Tuesday and looks like I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome, so my goals have been to stay away from anything too processed, have three pieces of fruit a day and adequate veggies and to watch my portion sizes. I love healthy food, but have an unfortunate tendency to eat laaaaaarrrrggge x(

Looking forward to hearing how you other girls are doing.

Liz :)

Thanks for posting Liz. I remember hearing you were having the colonoscopy. There was also an IBS thread a few months ago. I have never been diagnosed but I think sometimes I get it due to stress. Yes, a vegey diet is very hard to follow and not for everybody. I still wonder why it works well for me and my DH. I think alot of things depend on timing and for us it was time we did something. I do hope your symptoms get better and sometimes twaeking the diet can help...:)...Carole

I've been a pretty good girl for almost 3 weeks now. Lost over 6 (metric) pounds eating vegatarian by tweaking the eat to live diet and staying away from sugar and white flour. I do eat sandwhiches and natural full fat yoghurt. I tried to skip those for two days and started feeling very weak. So I added it back in and am feeling better now. I also make sure I have plenty carbs for dinner the night before my weekend long run or when I have scheduled a workout which is longer than 60minutes, or I feel tired and weak half way through.

I still think losing 2 pounds a week is way too much for me, cause I'm not exactly overweight. I'm at 122 pounds (22 fat%) now and want to go down to 118-116 pounds (approx my pre-accident weight). Just trying to get rid of this fat belt around my waist. Instead, my boobs are getting smaller :(

Dutchie

I'm happy you can tweak it to work for you...since we are all so different. Congrats on the weight loss Dutchie. Sometimes yes 2 lbs a week can be too much. I know for me this was the absolutely fastest I ever lost weight and only felt weak when I did long runs the first 2 weeks. I wasn't weak during any other workouts. No...you are not overweight at all but you know your body and where you want to be. For me...never have boobs when my weight is up or down... x( .....:)...Carole

Hi Everyone,
I was wondering what happened to the thread last week.And of course I was to busy to start one of my own.
Things have been going good here.Last weekend was a write off.We had a BIG party to go to and I went with the intentions of enjoying myself.I normally think to much about the calories I am eating and drinking and I get down on myself.
It was a outdoors party with about 10,000 people.I guess you could say it was a festival.So, you know what kind of foods are in a place like that as well:) I think that is why I had such a great time.I didn't worry about what I was eating or drinking.
DH boss and all of his co-workers were there for the party.His boss is really into working out and so is his wife.He was trying to convince me to start training for a competition.Sadly though....I am not a competiter.The last thing I want to be doing is standing in front of a pile of people,flexing(or doing anything for that matter)...no thanks.
Anyway,I have to get ready for work.My life just got a little busier.My SIL came home on Mon and my sister gets here today.I will be so happy when my life gets back to normal.
Chat to you later,
Lori:)

There was a time, a long long time ago, when I was still on the other side of 40, when I could loose up to 5 pounds in 1 week, just by not eating chocolate and cookies. Got me right back on the weight track.

These days, on the wrong side of 40, it takes forever to loose a pound. Even if I stay away from the sugar. So I am very surprised how fast I'm loosing weight now by going vegetarian. And I was eating less meat than average for the Dutch norm. So skipping the meat was no big deal.

Dutchie

Hey everyone,

It sounds like you are all doing pretty well- congrats! Things are crazy here- Mikey's been sick but seems to be on the mend. The ER vet thought he had pug encephalitis, but my regular vet and I don't think that's the case at all. It's a long story, and I'll post a little more when I have more time. It's great to hear from everyone.

Keep up the good work,

Gina

Thanks for the updates....Lori...yes you seem to be very busy. What a compliment though about you entering a competiton! That is so cool. Gina, I do hope Mikey is okay, with my love of animals I know how hard it is for you when they aren't feeling well....Dutchie, I hate the wrong side of 40 too! I got my first major running injury 2 weeks after I turned 40...a torn calf muscle...YEOW! Anyway as you know I won't argue at all the benefits of going vegetarian, besides the weight loss I think sometime my body is saying "Thank you" for not putting the junk in me anymore...:)...Carole

Hi Carole,

I'm so proud of and happy for you! It's not easy to change your lifestyle. Congrats to you and your DH! I do believe you are converted for life lol...

Gina

Hi Liz,

I'm sorry to hear you have IBS. My dad has colitis, and my sister has Crohn's disease, but both do well with medication. Was the doctor able to prescribe anything for you?

I hope you feel better,
Gina

I'm really enjoying the ETL read. Thanks for the recommendation.

I got a recipe from a vegetarian pal for Tofu that I just love!

Marinate extra firm slices in a mix of garlic, soy sauce, terriaki sauce and a small amount of sesame seed oil. Then fry the slices til crispy over a relatively high heat.

Enjoy the slices on nutty, whole wheat bread w/a few olives, tomato slices and romaine. YUMMY!

Hey Dutchie,

I'm glad to hear you are doing well. It sounds like you are at a healthy weight and bodyfat percentage. Do you mind if I ask about your accident? I don't recall reading about that. Whatever it was, congrats for making so much progress!

Gina

Hi Lori,

I'm so glad you were able to enjoy the festival without over-thinking eating & drinking! What a nice compliment about entering a competition!

Gina

Hi all,

Mikey is doing much better- thank goodness. Last Wednesday, we took him to the vet for conjunctivitis and also had to give him a tranquilizer so the vet could clip his nails. (He freaks out about anyone touching his paws.) That night, he got huge hives all over his belly, which happens 2 or 3 times per year. The vet prescribed prednisone ahead of time, so I called him, and he okayed giving Mikey 1 or 2 pills. At 3am, Mikey was still scratching and panting furiously, so we gave him another pill. At 8am, he was still at it and not any better, so we brought him to the emergency vet. We told the vet about all of the meds he had recently, and she gave him a strong shot that always works right away. Later that morning, he was getting better, but not 100%. The next day, he started acting strange- staring at the floor and grasping at things that weren't there, running out the front door when the doorbell rang, crying when my mom or dad left, sleeping on the kitchen floor- none of which are at all typical. In fact, he hates to walk on the kitchen floor because he's afraid of slipping on the tiles- we have small mats all the way through the kitchen for him lol. I called the vet, and he said that Mikey just had way too much medication in him and that it would take 3 to 5 days for it to wear off.

My parents were gone all day Saturday at a wedding, and Mikey cried and scratched the door for an hour when they left. He was still doing the staring at the floor thing, too. That afternoon, I saw a horrible centipede/spider thing run across the living room, and I did the same stare thing! I was pretty convinced that Mikey was paranoid about seeing bugs on the floor.

He started getting better, but Monday night my mom thought he had a fever, and we gave him 2 baby aspirin. About 2 hours later, he got hives all over his head. We went back to the emergency vet, and there was a different doctor there. We filled him in, and he said he thought Mikey had pug encephalitis. He gave him another allergy shot and suggested we schedule an MRI. On the car ride home, my mom and I both cried, but I told her that I know he doesn't have it. I know him, and I know when something serious is wrong, and I know he didn't have this horrible thing. I really thought the weirdness was because of the over-medication, the fact that he had gooey medicine in his eyes for the conjunctivitis, and had a benign tumor removed from his eyelid just a month before.

As soon as I got in, I researched online and found that pug dog encephalitis is extremely rare, happens to females more than males, and most often occurs by age 2. Mikey is almost 6, and he displayed none of the major symptoms- seizures, circling the head one way, vomitting... We still cried about the possibility, but I really thought he was going to be okay. I called the regular vet the next morning, and he too didn't think it was encephalitis, rather the over-medication side effects. I was so angry about the other vet, because he also said that it is treatable, and from what I read, it's really not at all and will always cause death in a relatively short amount of time.

Mikey still isn't totally himself, but he is acting much more normally. He still stares at the floor sometimes, but only on the bed or carpet. As silly as it may be, I really think it has to do with bugs. You know when you stare at something so tiny that eventually it looks as if it's moving? He definitely has a phobia about his bed and won't sleep there. He slept with me a few nights and also on the living room floor. I think he's going to be alright with time...

Well, thanks for letting me ramble. I suppose you didn't need to know all the details, but it made me feel better to write the story.

As for eating, no good! I had bulimia many years ago, and even after I stopped purging, I binged. I still binge from time to time, and this is one of those times. I keep munching on junk all day. I'm totally not focusing on what I need to do to feel better. Sometimes, I feel like a jerk for checking in, because I'm not even trying to eat well! Reading your posts does make me feel a little better, though.

Talk to you all later,
Gina

Hi Gina,

I was rear ended while I was waiting for a red traffic light and the other person just didn't notice. I was first diagnosed with a concussion (sp??) but two months later I was diagnosed with severe whiplash. I was in bed or on the couch for the first 9 months. It took me 4 years to get back a "normal life". Gaining 16 pounds in the process. I still have to take my body's (neck/shoulder) signals very seriously. And I'm still on pain medication.

I'm one of the lucky ones. According to the neurologists I have seen, most with my diagnosis will always be "disabled". Then again, when he told me that statistically and in his experience the average whiplash patient never got better, I just dug in my heels and told him I wasn't a statistic nor the average patient. When people say stuff like that, boy am I gonna show them! And I have. I'm not the old Dutchie I used to be, but I'm the new and improved version:) :)

Dutchie

I'm so sorry about Mikey, Gina. At least he seems to get better.

And do keep checking in. Give it time and you'll find the strength to eat healthy.

Dutchie

Mindi...I didn't know you got the book....I think that's awesome! Thank you so much for the recipe, it sounds great (never thought I'd be saying that about tofu 6 months ago!)...I know my tastebuds like heathly food now.

Gina, thanks....I am really looking at this as a lifelong commitment. I have never been one for an easy way to loose weight and then back to old eating habits....never made sense. I think this forum is a great place to share your story Gina...anytime you want to tell about Mikey...I want to hear, and how scary what you went thru. I would think he might definitely would have been hallucinating from all the drugs. I will pray for his speedy recovery...:)...and just deal with one thing at a time as far as the diet goes like Dutchie said. You will be ready one day, it took me 2 years....until then...you know where we are....:)....Carole

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.