Hardcore Check In for May 2017

WD

Cathlete
No workout yet. I just thought I would start the May thread.

Debbie, that seems like such a low calorie burn for that much work. Your weights were not light, but sometimes after getting the initial feel you can go heavier and that does make the difference. Maybe you will like the next workout that you do better. How many workouts are in the set?

Today I had what Debbie calls a "Puke Status" workout! I did not get enough sleep so I woke up very tired but forced myself to workout. I did Chest, 5 exercises, 5 sets each to failure, 2 minute rest between sets and Leg Extensions at the end. I am so wiped out but feel so good at the same time. I am lifting as heavy as I can, except for the incline flies, just ran out of energy so I went lighter. Workout was 1 hour 10 minutes and I burned 451 Calories.

Warm UP Chest Press DB- 15# x 15

Chest Press DB-
30# x 16,x 13, x 12, x 10, x 10, x 8

Chest Flies-
25# x 13, x 12, x 10, x 9, x 8

Incline Press DB-
30# x 14, x 12, x 11, x 9, x 9

Incline Flies-
20# x 14, x 13, x 12, x 11, x 10

Front Raise with an underhand grip DB- ( Dana Linn Baily style)
5# x 25, x 25
8# x 16, x 14

Leg Ext.
40# x 30
50# x 20, x 16, x 15, x 13, x 12, x 12

I am fried!!! I am seeing great results lifting heavy to failure, I am going to continue lifting this way all month.

I have been watching Dana Linn Bailey on You tube working out for Bodybuilding.com. She does insane workouts and has some really great ideas. I am starting to get re inspired with my weight workouts.

Debbie, that workout looks fun! Next time you do the workout you could probably go heavier. I always go lighter the first time I do a workout. Once you know what's coming you can lift heavier. I burn so many calories when I lift weights. Not sure why but I do.

Diane Sue and Roselyn,
I will be back later to read your posts.

Have a wonderful day!

Today I did Ice Bootcamp Circuit, 46 minutes, 245 calories followed by Ramped Up Upper Body timesaver double back, 29 minutes, 124 calories. Total time 75 minutes, 369 calories.
Back
1 arm dumbbell row 30# 16 reps followed by 1 arm back fly 10# 10 reps right
1 arm dumbbell row 30# 16 reps followed by 1 arm back fly 10# 10 reps left
repeat
35# pullover 16 reps reverse flies 12# 10 reps 12# 10 reps rest repeat 12# 10 reps 12# 10 reps
repeat
seated T band pulses 32, 16 reps
repeat all for second round

Jolie the underhand front raise sounds interesting. 1 hour of hard training can deplete the energy. Great workout.

Roselyn, good job getting in the weight workouts. How is your Dad doing?

Today I did Cardio Coach 3 and had a pretty good workout. I didn't eat enough yesterday so sort of felt a little less energetic than usual. Still had a great workout, though.

Workout was 40 minutes, burned 279 calories (TM said 377), did 2.72 miles and went 5592 steps.

So I think I'm going to have to put my cat down. He isn't doing well since he's been back from the hospital. He still goes in and out of the bathroom several (more than several) times a day. Sometimes I bet he goes in there 20 times in an hour. He's drooling A LOT, like everywhere and he is mean to my other two cats. Yesterday he literally jumped on Bear and just started going at it with him, they were like two tasmanian devils fighting and screaming. It was horrible. Fur was everywhere. It took us two times of that to break them up. I used my water bottle sprayer and that did the trick. I'm not sure what is going on, but I can't put the other two cats in danger. He could have really hurt Bear if we weren't home. :( I'm so sad about it, he is my buddy, my baby. And I don't know if I can even do it. How do I make an appointment to have my cat put down? OMG. So not very happy today.

Diane Sue - Yes, I think if I go heavier with these workouts I'll feel it more and raise my HR more. I just don't want to hurt myself, either. I usually go lighter when I start a program so yes, next time I will go heavier. I did like the workout, though. I'm sort of bummed I can't do the cardio part of this series. It's very high impact - Burpees and stuff like that. I was going to try one of them, but I just don't see me doing it. Especially because of my knees.

Jolie - Me too, I go lighter at first, then next time I will go heavier. I know what to expect with it next time. Nice workout yesterday, you are an animal! Nice weights, too!!!

Roselyn - I got the Ript90 Fit, it's the newest one. I guess Ript90 was released a while ago. I may end up getting that one too. Yes, I like them so far. I watched three workouts and they all look great. The cardio ones I probably can't do, but you would probably like them. Worth $30, can't really beat that. I think there are 13 DVDS.

Today's workout was Amy Bento Ross Advanced Step Challenge 4, 59 minutes, 484 calories, heart rate 134 avg. 167 max. I then did Kelly Coffeys YouTube Raw Lower Body and kettle bell workout 26 minutes, 154 calories. Total time was 85 minutes 638 calories. 6,919 steps.
I liked the raw workout. It is done in 20/10 format
squats 15's, 15's, 20's alternated with halos 20# kettlebell
finishing with non weighted squats

alternating lunge 20's all 3 sets alternating with figure 8's with a 20# kettlebell
non weighted alternating lunge finishing

deadlift 25's all 3 sets alternated with double arm swing 25# kettle bell
finishes with some non weighted squats and moves into some plyometric moves like lunge switches, jump squats to lunges,

reverse lunge 20's all 3 sets alternated with alternating kettlebell swings

goblet squat with a kettlebell 20# alternated with knee up twist with a kettlebell 20#
finisher was similar non weighted moves
brief stretch

Ha, and I had thought I wanted to do some to the mat afterward. I gave up that idea for some reason. I have to run errands anyway and clean house.

Debbie, I am so sorry about your cat. He has been not well for quite some time. It is terribly hard to put down a pet. I understand you can't take chances with the others. My heart goes out to you.
Is there some way you could do some of those cardio workouts and modify. I find it easier to do burpees in some cases with a step or my pull up/push up bar so I am elevated a bit. I remember Sharon Twombly who is a physical therapist as well as instructor saying she is careful about using those moves. You need to have your knees bent at the right time when you come up and go down. It took me awhile after my surgery but I can do a lot of the moves I did before, just with more care and knowing when to modify.

No workout for me today. Yesterday mid day I came down with Food Poisoning so bad I thought I would die! I had to have my kids come home from school because I thought I would die and I didn't want to go by myself. I have survived but I am so weak and tired I can barely make it to the couch. The Dr. says there are fruits and veggies coming from Mexico that are laced with something and there is a food poisoning epidemic going on in CA, AZ and NV.

I will see how I feel tomorrow...

Good job on your workouts ladies.

Debbie, I am so sorry about your cat. I let my dog go way to long and she had a heart attack in my husbands arms on the way to the vet. I loved her like my child, that is why I didn't put her down. Looking back I am not sure I could do it but the pain they are in just isn't fair either. What does the vet say?

Jolie, that is terrible. Did one of the boys take you to the doctor? You probably need a few days to rest after that. Was the doctor able to help any?

Today I did another workout from RIPT90 - Hard Core Chest. Excellent workout and my HR got up there a bit more with this one. Broke a small sweat. The warmups in these workouts are awesome.

Each Group below was done in superset fashion:

GROUP 1
Pushups
- 6 reps
Planks - 30 second hold
6 sets of these all in a row, no rest

GROUP 2
Dumbbell Chest Press
- 30's/6 reps
V-Sit Isolation Hold - 30 seconds

GROUP 3
Chest Fly
- 12's/reps
Twisting Crunches (Russian Twist) - 8#

So with Group 3 I was going to do the flyes with 25's. Yea, no. These you do laying on the floor with your arms stretched all the out touching the floor. You lift the weights and do the fly and then go all the way down again. It's hard to get the weight up once its all the way down on the floor. So no way I could do 25's.

BONUS
Burpees
- 25 but I only did 10
I actually did these but my knees really felt it when I came up and jumped. I did as many as I could and I think 10 is about what I did.

Workout was 35 minutes, Avg HR was 80, Max was 122. Burned 78 calories. Really?

Walked on my treadmill on a 3% incline for 1 mile.

Diane Sue - Nice workout! Thanks about my cat. I don't think I can do it right now, I will wait and see, but if he attacks one of our other cats again I'll have to. We buy those diffusers with special oil that makes cats calmer. They are empty and I'm wondering if that is why he did that? Maybe it's just an excuse so I don't have to put him down. I have new oils coming today so we will see. They are all acting a bit weird so maybe it is because of these oils being gone. I hope.

Jolie - OMG!!! You actually thought you were going to die? That is scary. I sure hope you are feeling better now. You probably should go to the doctors if you already haven't. Why aren't the stores pulling those veggies from the shelves, that is ridiculous!!! Get well girl, that is awful.

Roselyn - Glad to hear your dad is doing better!!!

I am up and out of bed today! I feel 50% better today. I had enough energy this morning to walk my dog around the block and do the dishes. I live with 3 men so getting help for more than 1 day when I am sick is never going to happen. My boys have been great, texting me through out the day to see if I am ok. My oldest son came home from school yesterday at lunch to check on my and bring me a snack. My husband works too far away to help me, but that's ok, just so someone is there between the three of them.

Debbie, nice workout, but I am sure you burned more calories than what your Fitbit calculated. At least you have time to walk on the treadmill! I could not do the Burpees either. My foot could never handle getting on my toes like that and then jumping up. I am too old for that exercise. When my workouts have burpees, I do pushups instead or just body weight squats.

Diane Sue, I did not go to the doctor since my mom when and she gave me all the info on what to do. There isn't much they can do for you with food poisoning. Since I could force myself to drink water, that is half the battle.

Roselyn, I am happy that your dad is feeling better!

Have a nice day. I am sure I will get in a lite workout tomorrow. I am going to try to eat today to get some energy back.

Big mistake with the new android phone update. It wiped out the touch whiz that operates the apps again :mad: It is doing the same thing the last phone did with an ATT update. I am fuming right now. I will deal with AT&T from the phone or online and not the store. They were so incompetent.
I just finished doing Sharon Twombly's Athletic Step Jam entire workout with the stability ball portion and abs, 104 minutes, 803 calories. I have always burnt a lot of calories with this one. That was enough for the day. Family dinner tonight and I guess dealing with the phone. GRRR!! Oh and 9004 steps for this workout.

Debbie I have an oil diffuser. I haven't used it much in quite awhile. My daughter uses hers for her children and daycare to try to help keep everyone from getting sick. She uses thieves from Young Living.

Roselyn, that is scary with the food poisoning. I am glad that you were able to drink some watet. I am surprised they haven't recalled some of those fruits and vegetables.

Last edited:
Debbie I ordered those workouts looking for something different I have been doing the gym series of Cathe and it is amazing how muscles hurt when you change it up (not hurt but you know what I mean you feel it differently)

Today I did Cardio Coach 5 and had a great workout. My HR was up there with all the challenges which was good to see. Every time I looked at my FB it showed 160-171 bpm. Cool. It felt like I was there, too. Had a good run.

Workout was 54 minutes, ran 3.35 miles, burned 390 calories (TM said 533) and went 7202 steps.

I don't think I'll be able to work out tomorrow so if I don't, you all have a great weekend!

Diane Sue - Dang, sorry about your phone. I never do updates on mine because of the problem you are having. They always mess something up. If it's working, I say don't update it. I hope they can fix it for you. How frustrating. That was an awesome workout you had, nice job!! Huge calorie burn!!

Roselyn - I am so sore from yesterday's workout, my abs especially. Changing it up is good and I really like this series. You will too!

Jolie - I'm glad you are feeling better, what a relief!! And I hate burpees as well and think I am too old for it. I'll do something different next time. Or just skip it.

Roselyn, gym style is a good set of workouts. I will enjoy reading Debbie and your thoughts on the new workouts.

Debbie, I habe not updated things like my tablets till none of the apps would work right anymore. Plus they go to update versions beyond what the device is capable of. I warned my husband not to uodate. Also it says my calendar is not showing, which I know someone else lost their appointments and stuff in their calendar. Fortunately I don't use the calendar they are referring to. I use the Google calendar. Nice run today. I was amazed when the fitbit kept up with the higher calorie burn yesterday.. if I would have taken map my fitness and Cathe's 6 inch step calorie burns I would have been in the 900 to 100 calorie burn range which I thought was a bit over the top.

Today I did Les Mills Pump Sports attack, 31 minutes, average heart rate 135 max heart rate 160, 201 calories. I then did Strong and Sweaty Ramped Up Upper mix 12 triceps, triceps, biceps, biceps, 37 minutes 116 calories. Total time was 68 minutes 317 calories. We had taco dinner last night with family. I made a large broccoli apple salad that was really good. I am glad I have some left over.
Weights
triceps close grip bench press 20's 8 reps, 20's 12 reps; 15's 8 reps 15;s 12 reps
dips 32/16 32/16
lying triceps extensions 12's, 12's, 12's, 12's, 12's, 12's
standing overhead extension one 25# dumbbell (I don't like holding two together) 25# dumbbell second round as well
triceps kickbacks tubing 15# b-lines
biceps hammer curls 17.5's, 17.5's 16 reps
sweeping curls 15's 12 reps; 15's 12 reps
isolation curls 12's; 12's
standing curls 15's 12 reps; 15's 12 reps
crazy 8s 15# b-lines tubing 2 sets each round

Today I felt worse than yesterday but I got off the couch and took my dog for a walk. After, I decided to do a walk and not lift weights because I have low energy and probably not enough strength to life.

Walk was 4.3 miles and I burned 542 calories. The calorie burn as a tad high because I really had to work to get through this walk. Afterwards I actually felt better and I am glad I did it! Tomorrow I am going to lift. I got in a few good meals today so my energy will be better. I got in 19,000 steps today and 12,000 yesterday too!

Diane Sue, Nice workout today! Good job on the weights. That looks like a great workout for arms.

Debbie, Nice cardio workout today! Don't you just love when you get sore, you know your body had to get out of its comfort zone for that workout yesterday. Change is good! I look forward to your thoughts on each workout. I cant believe how good it is priced!

Roselyn, Let me know what you think of the new workouts when you get them, they sound really good.

I hope all get a good nights sleep and we all have kick butt workouts tomorrow!

Today I did Shoulders. I did 5 exercises, 4 sets each, each set to failure with a 2 minute rest between sets. Workout was 46 minutes and I burned 276 calories. My average heart rate was 111 and my max was 169! I had to fight through this workout because I still have low energy.

Seated DB Overhead Press-
25# x 13, x 12, x 10, x 9

1 Arm Lat Raise-
15# x 12, x 11, x 10, x 9

Rear Flies-
15# x 12, x 10, x 9, x 8

Front Rear Raise DB-
10# x 12, x 11, x 10, x 9

Upright Rows DB-
20# x 12, x 10, x 9, x 8 ( these just about killed me)

I have an appointment at the DMV so I have to run. I will be back later to read your posts.

Have a great weekend! We have 3 days of rain in the forecast! Rain is unheard of in CA this time of the year.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.