Hardcore check in for March 2017

WD

Cathlete
Today I did MIC 73 minutes, 627 calories, 149 avg/185 max heartrate. I followed with Kelly Coffey Athletic conditioning 2 workout 2 core flexibility , 26 minutes, 117 calories. Total calories 744, 99 minutes.

I almost feel I am cheating myself out of some calories with MIC. Cathe's workout manager gives 705 calories which matches up with my Calorie calculator based on my heart rate average of 149 and gross calories burned 738. Net calories was 686 with the calculator. I lowered my burn to what a met value of 8 would be. Cathe's has 9. This workout has always been a tough one for me. Meaning I am breathing hard a lot and there are times where I have to pause to catch my breath. Surprisingly the Fit Bit gave me 500 calories with heart rate 149/max 185. It does pretty well with heart rate accuracy. My dvd player froze up during the stretch. GRRR! I need to get another one. I want blu ray though as we have a lot of blu ray dvds + the television I workout on has 3D. So, I found a dvd player and put it in my Amazon cart. They are not near the money that they used to be. I got in 7 142 steps this morning. I am getting tired of my dvds not playing correctly. I spent so much time trying to get my Ice Kickbox workout to play and get it out of the dvd player the other day. It worked fine in my laptop.

Today I did cardio, Les Mills Combat 30 and the second half of Les Mills Extreme Cardio Fighter. I used 2 pound gloves this time and boy did it make a difference. I did the abs at the end of extreme cardio fighter and I finished with Power Hour Triceps. Workout was 1 hour and 20 minutes and I burned 765 calories. My max heart rate was 176, I was really working hard using the weighted gloves.

Lying Triceps Ext- 10# DB x a lot of reps, various rep patterns

1 Arm Kick Backs- 10# x 12 various rep patterns

Lying Triceps Ext- 10# DB x a lot of reps, various rep patterns

It felt really good to get a good nights sleep and then get in a really good workout
. One thing I have noticed about kickboxing workouts, my abs and legs are really looking good!

Diane Sue, Nice job today on your workout! I don't use anything other than my Fitbit so I am not sure how accurate it really is in the end. I'm not going to worry about it, I just work out each day and try my best. My dvd player was skipping a little today as well, it becomes frustrating during the cardio segments.

Have a nice day, rain is on the way again!

Jolie I have been using 1 lb gloves for my workouts. I haven't ventured toward the 1.5 and 2 lb as my shoulders have been sore. Susan Chung does quite a bit in her workouts to target the core which I really do like.

Today was a rest day. I went to church and then family brunch and had a nice visit. Tomorrow I hope to get a good workout in :) Also, maybe I won't eat so much junk. I plan to make the cashew butter chicken stew from Oxygen magazine tomorrow and a big kale salad.

Jolie, nice workout. I am kind of obsessive about the accuracy. After multiple heart rate monitors and logging, I can look back and get an idea where I should be. Like I said, my Fit Bit is pretty accurate on the heart rate. I am just finding it is low on most calorie readings unless it is more steady state and dependent on stride for the steps. Also, when I run it at the same time with it paired with Map My Fitness, MMF calorie burns seem to be dependent on what workout type I have it set for. I have started tracking that as well. If I put it on just aerobic, it is close to Fit Bit. If I put it on Martial Arts it gives me a much higher calorie burn , about the same as the workout manager gives for kickboxing which is usually way higher than Fit Bit and if I use the calorie calculator based on heart rate average and VO2 max or fitness level. I wouldn't mind if it was close but when Fit Bit is somewhere around 200 calories for near an hour of cardio work sometimes, I feel cheated and a bit put out with it. I know my exertion levels and I have monitored the Met values on Cathe's workouts enough to know about where to drop the met value to to get a closer to accurate burn for me. There is no way I am going to spend 90 minutes working out and accept what I would normally have sitting on my backside. Sometimes I take what it gives me, but for the most part it is a tool and I use the heart rate. You get excellent burns and a lot of higher heart rate readings. Mine is generally not much over 158 to 163 for a high. When I do Les Mills Combat workout it usually comes out to around 350 -380 calories. I always try to add more too the workouts.

Today I did Build: Chest & Tri's. Had a great workout. I upped my weights on some exercises. Probably could have even gone higher. Don't want to risk injury.

Single Set
Barbell Chest Press:
20's/25's/30's/25's - 15/12/8/8 (last two sets were drop sets)

Super Set
Incline Dumbbell Fly:
15's/20's/25's
ss w/
Incline Barbell Press: 20's/25's/30's/25's - 15/12/8/8 (last two sets were drop sets)

Giant Set
Close Grip Press:
15's/20's/25's - 15/12/8
Partial Chest Press: 12's/15's/20's - 15/12/8
Decline Pushups: 15/12/8 reps (all on my toes - woo hoo!!)

Single Set
Lying Dumbbell Tricep Extensions:
10's/12's/15's/12's - 15/12/8/7 (last two sets were drop sets)

Super Set
Single-Arm Kickbacks:
8#/10#/12#/8# - 15/12/8/8 (last two sets were drop sets)
ss w/
Tricep Pushups: 15 (10 on toes, 5 on knees) 10(7 on toes/5 on knees) 8 (all on toes)

Super Set
Dips:
skipped
ss w/
Ins & Outs (abs): skipped

Workout was 42 minutes, burned 108 calories. Avg. HR was 79 and max was 131. Too much rest in this one.

I also walked on my treadmill for .75 miles.

DIane Sue - I also believe the FB is probably the most accurate HR monitor I've ever owned, although my calories burns still seem really low. Cathe's workout manager calorie burns are always WAY more than what my FB show. Nice job with your workout on Saturday!!

Jolie - It is amazing what weighted gloves do. I really want to start kickboxing again but I'm so worried about injuries. It seems every time I do kickboxing I get hurt. Nice job!!

Today I did Maximum Intensity Strength, 74 minutes, 368 calories. I have not done this one in years. I am tired, so I think I am calling it a day for workouts. I hardly slept last night and need to go to the store and get my cashew butter chicken stew on the stove for when my granddaughter comes over later. I should do some cleaning.
Since I have not done this workout in so long I kept most of the weights at Cathe's
Lower body
squats 35# barbell reps?? 16, 4 slow, 16, 4 slow reps. Repeat
lunge 35# barbell 16 reps left 16 reps right repeat
plié 35# barbell 16, 4 hold, 16, 4 hold repeat
quarter dead lift 35# barbell 16 reps repeat
Reverse lunge Cathe uses 12's I chose 15'w 4 pulses, 16 reps, 4 pulses 16 reps repeat on other side
elevated reverse lunge 15's (Cathe 12's) 8 right 8 left, 4 right 4 left, 2 right 2 left, 8 alternating
Chest
push ups 16 reps
barbell chest press 35# first round second I dropped to 30#
Dumbbell chest flies Cathe 20 Me 15's then 10's 8 single then 8 slow reps
repeat all
Back
1 arm row 20# (upped to 25 second round)
Barbell overhand rows 12 reps I used 40# Cathe 35
Barbell underhand row 45# me Cathe 35# 16 reps
seated reverse fly 10#'s 16 reps both rounds
shoulders
35# barbell Cathe I used 30# f
upright row 16 reps repeat
overhead press 30# 12 reps repeat 8 reps
laterals 10's 12 reps /10 reps
biceps
crazy 8's 35# barbell repeat first round there are 4 reps on a 2/4 count second time 2 reps aadded to the end of the rounds
hammer curls double arms 15's 12 reps (Cathe 12's)
alternating curls with a twist 15's instead of 12's 12 reps
Triceps
barbell French press 35# barbell 12 reps
barbell close grip press 35# 16 reps
barbell dips 35# 24 reps, 35# 16 reps
kickbacks Cathe 10# me 12# 12 reps/14 reps

Debbie, great job today on the workout. I am not good with the longer rests most of the time. I was pretty pleased that the Fit Bit registered 500 calories for that workout. I think that was the highest I have got out of it for that length of time.

Today I did my own workout of Back and Biceps. I had an awesome workout! I added Powerhour Biceps at the end as well as an AB workout. Workout was 70 minutes and I burned 445 calories. I really get a high calorie burn when I lift, maybe because I added Drop Sets and that makes the workout more cardio because I am breathing hard.

1 Arm Rows-
30# x 12, x 10, x 8
25# x 8 Drop Sets
20# x 8

BB Rows-
50# x 12, x 10, x 8
45# x 8 Drop Sets
40# 8

Rear Delt Flies-
12# x 12, x 10, x 8
10# x 8 Drop Sets
8# x 8

DB Alt. Seated Bicep Curls with a twist-
20# x 12, x 10, x 8
15# x 12 Drop Sets
12# x 12

Preacher Curls-
15# x 12, x 10, x 8
12# x 12 Drop Sets
10# x 12

Hammer Curls-
15# x 12, x 11, x 10
12# x 12 Drop Sets
10# x 12

Power Hour Biceps-
20# Barbell x too many to count, various rep patterns

ABS- Icy Core # 1 modified

Debbie, awesome workout today, you are killing it!

Diane Sue, wow, that is a long workout but it looks great! I haven't done that workout in years either. I have to go back and do it. Don't you just crack up on the workout outfits compared to now! I bet your chicken is going to be so good.

I forgot to post this exciting news this weekend. My son got his first "Full Ride" scholarship for football from a small D2 school in Ohio! The full ride covers everything!!! Once one offer comes in more to follow! We are going to LA on Sunday for him to participate in the Nike Regionals! This is a big deal, all the coaches and scouts from all of the schools will be there watching. I am sure he will get an offer for participating in it!

Have a wonderful day!

Jolie, that is great news. The scholarships and the Nike regionals. I can tell you are proud of him as anyone would be. Also great on the scholarship financial end of things. That is awesome!
While I was doing MIS I was remembering how much weight I used to do with it. I usually would pick up a 45-50 barbell for lower body and also I used 20's for those lunges with the bench. I could really feel it. I don't know why those crazy 8's at the beginning of biceps always seem so hard with 35#. I would imagine the drop sets would bring the calorie burn up some.

This morning I did Build Shoulders and this afternoon I did T25 cardio, (needed my cardio fix)

Anyone here ever done Keto diet? I am starting it and i was just wondering if I should cut out peanut butter on this diet.

I rarely eat peanut butter myself. I stick with other nut butters. I do know some of the ketogenic books that I have looked at and the cookbooks that I have do have recipes using some peanut butter in them. Good luck with it. I know it is good for some health issues. I try not to eat excessive amounts of carbs but I don't cut out as many as you do with a keto diet.

Today I did Build: Back & Bi's and had a great workout. Upped the weights and really felt it, my HR was up through the whole workout.

BACK
Single Set
Deadlifts:
15's/20's/25's/20's - 15/12/8/8 reps (last two sets were drop sets)

Super Set
Dumbbell Pullover:
20#/30#/35#/25# - 15/12/8/8 reps (last two sets were drop sets)
ss w/
Pullups: 3 sets/10 reps (used my bands for this)

Giant Set
EZ Bar Row:
30#/45#/55# - 15/12/8 reps
One-Arm Row: 20#/30#/35# - 15/12/8 reps
Reverse Fly: 12's/15's/17's - 10/12/8 reps

Single Set
Close Grip Chin Ups:
Skipped

BICEPS
Single Set
Seated Dumbbell Bicep Curl:
12's/15's/20's/12's - 15/12/8/8 reps (last two sets were drop sets)

Single Set
1, 1, 2 Hammer Curl:
8's/10's/12's - 15/12/8

Single Set
Neutral EZ Bar Curl:
25#/30#/40#/30# - 15/12/8/8 reps (last two sets were drop sets)

Single Set
Airplane Cobra:
Skipped

Workout was 45 minutes, Average HR 88, Max HR 132. Burned 150 calories.

Then I had a few minutes to walk on my treadmill. I waked for .75 miles.

Jolie - Congrats about your son, that is exciting news!! Always helpful to have a scholarship!! I'm sure you are very proud of him. Nice workout yesterday!

Diane Sue - Nice workout. I haven't done that one in a while either. I used to love that workout.

Roselyn - What new workouts? Does Cathe have news ones coming out already? Good grief!!! I wish BB would put out a new series.

I think I want the new workouts but I don't have the Fit tower yet. So, I am thinking about it . I think that the strength workout would be good.

Debbie, these are the workouts she mentioned doing as an advanced to on for the Fit tower ,

Today I pulled out Bosu Explode and did Mindy Mylrea Burst, 61 minutes, 437 calories. This is another one that I have to push through. I try to follow Mindy who does the extreme version. There is an advanced exerciser and a modifier. These workouts are great cross trainers. I used a 5# soft med ball. They use a 4#, but I do not have that weight. Lots of balance work. Even the male advanced exerciser is bobbling around trying to move quickly on the bosu passing the med ball under his legs as he does the knee raises. I like it because these workouts are a change and very challenging. The one problem I have is with the one that uses two bosu trainers at once. I always ended up with my high step with 3 risers and my bosu and going from one to the other that way. I do have the sling shot though that I purchased when I got the set. I was going to read the blogs and forums on the site but my internet went out and I gave up and just went on to workout.. There is excellent core work in these as well. After I finished with Bosu Explode I did Tracey Staehle's Core Blast, med ball, bosu with med ball, and floor segment 1 and 2 planks, 23 minutes, 106 calories. I used an 8# medicine ball for this one. Total time was 84 minutes and calories burned 106. Tomorrow will be kickboxing.

Roselyn, I guess part of my problem with extreme low carb diets is that I go crazy without having something substantial to crunch on. I know there are some greens etc.. But, it never feels satisfying. I prefer Paleo because I can have a piece of fruit or a sweet potato or something occasionally. Some are stricter on Paleo dependent on their goals.

Today is a rest day for me. I had early meetings with counselors at my kids school and then I went to get my hair done. I have to take time for myself every now and then!

Debbie, great workout! I like that workout. I was on you tube watching some workouts and I came across Body Beast Total Body. It looked really good so I might have to try it. It is higher reps but it looks like it hits the whole body.

Roselyn, I did not know there where new workouts coming out. I will check them out. I do not know anything about that diet you are looking into.

Diane Sue, nice workout! I think I will be kickboxing tomorrow as well. I am not sure which one I will be doing yet.

Have a nice day.

Jolie, the new workouts are just pre-order. They won't be out till summer. There is a discount on the fit tower I think if you order. It is only 3 workouts.

today was build chest and tris, I have a fit tower i purchased from cathe years ago I am sure I can use it even though I am sure it has been changed in some way so I may get them

Last edited:
Today I did Press Play but skipped the 5th challenge due to time. Had a great workout, love doing this one once in a while. So sad to know that both men on this workout have passed. :( I still remember the Press Play day that a lot of people did together. That was awesome!

Workout was 58 minutes, ran 3.75 miles, burned 410 calories (woo hoo!) and went 7878 steps.

I wonder if you can do the new workouts without the Fit Tower? I have the Perfect Pull-up set.

Jolie - I have BB Total Body, it's a good one.

Nice workout everyone!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.