Getting Our Licks In!

Seems as a few days have slipped by without checking in..... since my last check in I did Low Impact 1 from RWH. Like Janey I just love that one. It's quick with a good fun factor and I work up a good sweat. Best part is that me knee didn't hurt. Also I did HIIT Lower Body Circuit and a great reformer workout.

Janey enjoy the days off... hope you are doing something fun.

Hi Fives to everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been doing well with everything - need to work a little bit more on my diet as 1 little bit of jello salad seems to have gotten me back to craving sweets :( Fixing it today! So far this year I've lost 6 pounds and I'm really happy about it. For workouts I've done the 30 day challenge - over half way done - LIHI Back, Biceps, Shoulders, LIHI Legs Premix #1 Strength, skied, Low Impact Sweat, RWH Circuit Lower Body Premix #2. Tonight I plan to do Low Impact Sweat cardio and icy core.

Janie - You are doing great! I love the PHAT workouts, they really have me in DOMS the next day :)

Laura - How is your wrist doing? That's so frustrating and I hope it heals quickly. Great job with your workouts and I hope you find your pass soon :) Got to ski while we can! I'm doing the Betty Rocker Make Fat Cry 30 day challenge, 15 min workouts that are pretty quick and fun. It's been a nice little boost.

Cindy

Hi all, sorry about the long gap - I have been in Thailand (vacation), and before that, working double time to prepare for two weeks away. Another biz trip looms next weekend ...

My workouts have all been climbing, with a little swimming and hiking thrown in. Ten days on the rock and two break days! I am oh so tired but happy :):):)

For the record, this jet lag is hard to shake! My body is still twelve hours off, on Thai time.

Looking at the comments, I decided to get strong and sweaty after all. Amazon had a reasonable price for the set, and it will arrive soon. It is a splurge! Friday I did bouldering at the gym with my coach. Nothing complicated, mainly for mileage and to see style improvement from overseas. There were several! Coach Matt then had me do core work. He had me do the pike to pushup (i can now do five or so before needing a break, and a set is ten), a new one where you hang straight arms on rings for 30 seconds total with knees up - that takes me two or three tries to do all 30 seconds), and dead bug with a twist - Matt pushes on my arms and legs to make sure I am fully tensed. Ouch and DOMS today! Clearly good exercises though. We did two sets.
Saturday I worked and slept. Sunday to come, climbing gym and I ought to do a weight workout plus cardio ... and finish unpacking.

Pictures from Thailand are posted on Facebook. Many fun times! And I also pushed personal boundaries again, between tent camping on the beach, climbing at my personal limits and beyond, and doing deep water soloing despite being literally terrified to the point of shaking. Also I climb better outdoors even though it is harder. I actually attempt more difficult routes outdoors, which is not normal. All good.

Cindy: Neat that you are skiing! And ((hugs)) for bravery. It is good practice and feels so empowering when you push through, doesn't it?

Michelle: loved seeing Toby on fb. You two are great together. So very glad you have him, and your sister, and family.

Laura:So great to have you back, and good luck with that wrist!!!! So frustrating to have to deal with the touches that refuse to heal.

Janie: waves and kudos on taking rest days!

An aside. The surprising thing to me in rebuilding from deep grief is how many layers there are, and how joy, sadness, new memories and old, blend amongst one another. Accepting that grief bursts are valid and finite (though they still come) has been part of finding myself again, as has embracing moments of joy without guilt ... frankly I cannot celebrate holidays yet. Got closer this year. It is a help to see each of us living with positive intent, in the midst of our individual struggles, and chaotic times. Thank you each one!

Last edited:
Been very stormy here in the PNW. Power went off and was uncertain if trees were to fall. Didn't do exercises, not even on my own. Will start yet again (I know you all are tired of hearing about it) Monday. In Shelton this weekend and will return to beach house tomorrow. Will do some kind of exercises when I get there. Ugh...

Hi everyone. Sorry I've been missing the past couple of weeks. January has been a very busy month. Last week, I briefed the Commandant of the Marine Corps and he added more work to my plate. Toby and I continue to train and I am getting my licks in on the exercise. Will post more over the weekend.
Michelle

We can't use water. Will have to wait until we can get whatever is wrong with our water system to work. We may have to move back to Shelton. Having someone look at it tomorrow and from their will make decisions.

You all are doing great, keep up the good work.

Janie

Good to hear from everyone!

I have been working my way through RWH, walks and Pilates/yoga (easy) workouts.Today was Chest, Front Delts, Triceps and Low Impact HITT two. Also since my last posting I also did Lift It HIIT Back, Biceps and Rear and Delts; legs, & HIIT Circuit LB. I also started a Gyrotonics class on Thursdays which I am enjoying. I continue my Grief Yoga Support Group on Wednesday. I have been keeping my wrist splinted and that seems to be helping. I did okay with UB lifting for the most part. I am still avoiding all weight bearing on the wrists.

Shadowpup: wow what an awesome sounding trip! I will have to see if I can see them onFB! I have always wanted to go to [emoji1242] Thailand. Especially their beautiful [emoji305] beaches. Great job on what sounds like a super tough core training and your climbing. I climbed a tiny bit in my 20's but never really caught the big. I have know a lot of climbers though. Yes grief comes in waves and sometimes tsunamis. I had some crying jags the past few days. Not sure exactly what triggered them. I just try and move through to the other side. Holidays are the hardest.

Cindy congratulations on the weight loss! I have lost 7 in the New Year so sounds like we are on the same track! At least that amount of weight loss seems healthy, realistic and maintainable! I like the ICE workouts more now that I spent some more time with them!

Michelle I bet it's an interesting time for you at work. So much happening so fast! Glad you are still taking time for your self and Toby to balance out the extra work.

Janey: ugh no water is the worst! So many things we take for granted! Hope things are turned back on!

LIS CardioSuperSets Step Express timesaver workout today. Fun.

Janie: hope everything works out at your beach house.

Laura: maybe there is something in the air this week. I have had a few crying jags over the last few days as well.

Michelle

Quick check in - did my first Strong and Sweaty, the four round prefix from Boot Camp. Fun! It had several new moves. Also did a three mile walk. If I can motivate myself to do just a bit more exercise today, I'm thinking about using one of my dinner theater season tickets to see Showboat ... and get the cheesecake :)

Cardio SuperSets Intervals 1-4 Timesaver workout today, plus a number of walks with my sweet boy. Question of the evening: will it snow overnight and if so, how messed up will the commute be in the morning? Lucky for me, I can opt to work at home if the roads are a nightmare. Guess I'll find out in the morning.

Shadowpup: S&S BC is one of my favorites in the series. I think the first 3 BC rounds are more intense than the last 3. Enjoy the cheesecake!

Michelle

Today was RWH Upper circuit premix with abs sprinkled in after each round, a easy Pilates band work out to lengthen and align and a nice amble around the lakes. Yesterday was cardio only of Lower Intensity 4DS.

Shadowpup sounds like you deserve a little cheesecake and theater

Michelle I haven't done Cardio Super Sets In a long time but I remember enjoying that one. I will be going through LIIS after I finish up RWH and then XTrain

Sorry I've been MIA. Lucas got sick (croup and fever) last weekend then it spread to Dave, Brodie, and me. I am still battling it today but getting better every day. Needless to say no real exercise since Wednesday but lots of rest. I hope to do a little bit of something tonight if I'm up for it. It seems like the entire family is just tired! I hope that we can get back to normal this week.

Janie - We do not get tired of hearing I'll try this Monday, it's important we all keep trying! Has the water situation gotten better? Storms can really wreak havoc, stay safe!

Michelle - The downside of being good at your job is they give you more work :) Glad you're busy and getting those licks in.

Laura - Great job on the workouts, I really like RWH :)

Shadowpup - You are killing it with workouts and glad you're liking Strong and Sweaty. Thank you for sharing your insights :)

Cindy

Today I had a nice 2.7 mile walk with a friend around some ponds with beautiful views of the Rockies. And I did XTrain Hard Strikes. Man that is one solid 30 minutes of jumping. I couldn't do it, my feet have been really hurting and it just did not feel good so I modified a lot. Always struggling with pushing through pain and listening to it. 45 1/2 with some pretty hard life blows sure is taking its toll on my body. How do you guys handle it? The foot pain is not DOMS it's just pain. :(

Cindy: sorry to hear ya'll are all under the weather. It has been a terrible sick year around here. It seems to be one cycle after another. Hope you are back on your feet in no time!

Did a mix of CardioSuperSet Timesavers this week and Strong & Sweaty Ramped Upper Body. Today was LIS Athletic Training lower body premix. Toby and I did 6 training sessions this week. Monday night was obedience, Tuesday night was rally, Wednesday night was handling class, Thursday night was obedience, and this morning (Saturday) was obedience and scent detectives. Our trainer this morning told us that she is moving us up to the next level (level 3) for obedience training where we will really focus on preparing for the Canine Good Citizen (CGC) test. Looking forward in the year: the Golden Retriever National Specialty is the last week of September on the Eastern Shore in Salisbury, MD. I couldn't abide by keeping Toby in a hotel room for a week so since it's close to the beach, I rented a beach house that allows dogs using BringFido.com. It's a really wonderful beach house: about one block from the beach with a fenced in swimming pool. I invited my mom, sister, and Joe's son and wife to join us. I'm really looking forward to doing our first Golden Retriever National in style. I also didn't realize how much I need something to look forward to--I'm very excited although I wish Joe was here to share in the experience.

Laura: sad life events plus getting older do make exercising a challenge. "Do what you can as long as you do something" has become my motto. Some days the body and the soul are more into it and some days they are not. Do you think the foot pain is plantars faciitis or something else?

Cindy: I saw the picture of Lucas sleeping on FB--what an angelic picture! Hope he is feeling better and ya'll are done with being under the weather.

Waves to Shadowpup and Janie.
Michelle

Still have the cold in my sinuses but getting better, this is hanging on way too long! No official exercise but I did get up and ski yesterday and plan to start back into the workouts tonight - they can't hurt at this point :)

Laura - Foot pain is misery, the last I had was a few years ago and I think there are some stretches - depending on the pain/injury - that can help. I've also seen balls at REI and Target that are specific for foot pain. I had to just take a long rest and let what ailed me heal.

Michelle - Thanks - Lucas can be angelic and then he can be a little stinker in the blink of an eye! You and Toby are doing such great work - congrats on moving up to the next class! A get together is wonderful to look forward to - so glad you are able to surround yourself with people you love and know that Joe will be smiling upon you all.

Cindy

S&S PHA this morning. Took my sweet pup to spend the week with his doggie mommy and litter mates this week while I am on travel to Camp Lejeune. I hate being separated from him but I know that he is well taken care of and loved where he is. Plus, he gets to play with his brother and sister all week. Really couldn't ask for a better situation. In the meantime, it is like springtime here in North Carolina--temps in the 60s todays and the 70s tomorrow.

Cindy: good that you are getting better. Hope you are 100 percent soon.

Janie: saw your post about your electrifying experiences on FB.

Waves to Shadowpup and Laura.
Michelle

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.