Getting Our Licks In!

20 minutes of cardio using step ups. No risers. Here I go! I'm so excited!

Michelle, Great job on 10-10-10 I absolutely love this one along with 30/30. Good for you! Also for doing the step portion of SI.

Cindy, I don't like sharing my space either, but I don't have a choice. LOL! Great job on 30 min. of Hardstrikes.

Take care everyone,

Janie

So, I pulled my righthamstring/glute on Monday night before class with Toby. Toby decided to lunge/pull in one direction and my butt didn't like it. I made it through class but I'm off cardio for a while. Walking was a slow go yesterday; much better today. The activity that is the most uncomfortable is driving. Upper body, light stretching, and ab work will be my workouts for a few days, plus dog walks which are not optional. After a month of almost no rain, we are getting quite a bit. This morning Toby and I got caught in a downpour and we both got soaked. Once you get that wet, you just have to laugh and keep walking. I had my mucklucks on but they were filled with water that was gushing down the sidewalks. It's going to take a few days for them to dry out. More rain starting tonight and straight through tomorrow. I'll be wearing my super serious rain gear tomorrow.

Cindy: I don't like when my routine gets messed with either. But sometimes we have to go with the flow and just make it work for all parties. I think that's called marriage. I vote that a good 30 minute workout is a win.

Janie: WooHOO! Your back to your exercise--so excited for you.

Michelle

Tuesday I did 30 min of Xtrain legs + bonus tris + bonus delts. One of my lymph nodes decided to swell up last night so I took it easy and only did Xtrain bonus bis. Not as sore today but still swollen so we'll see if I just do weights or can get some cardio in too. Food has been on track.

Michelle - Sounds like a lot of rain! Sorry about your hamstring/glute - that's frustrating! I'm sure you'll be healed soon.

Janie - Nice work on getting back to the workouts :) Nothing wrong with no risers!

Cindy

More rain this morning but not a torrential downpour while Toby and I walked--just a nice steady rain. This time I was dressed for it: rain boots, waterproof rain pants, and waterproof raincoat with hood. Toby got wet but not me. After a towel dry, the pup was good to go and we got lots of dry walks in today. I also did Basic Step. Not at my normal ability, but good enough to satisfy my need for a little cardio. So, tomorrow will be upper body and ab work.

Cindy: I love XTRAIN legs and XTRAIN cardio leg blast (the later being one of my favs). Wonder why your lymph node swelled up. Do you have any idea what caused it to do so?

Waves to Janie!
Michelle

Total Body Sculpting today. A 27 min. full body workout. Calorie intake, over 900. A little less than what I want, but will make up for it in the long run. A good day.

Cindy, Great job on Tues. 30 mim of Xtrain legs, bouns tris and bonus delts. Wonder why your lymph nodes are swollen? Take care.

Michelle, We've had fantastic weather. But our rainy season is about to start. Usually around Oct. 10th. Great job walking in the nice steady rain. And for the dry walks as well. Great job on basic step.

Take care everyone,

Janie

I got in 1-6 of Xtrain Cardio Legs and worked on cleaning the house last night. I wasn't up to 100% with ability but that's OK at least I did it and what a butt kicking it was! My lymph node is still swollen, I'm guessing that my body is fighting something, it at least doesn't hurt today. Tonight we're off to see my nephew play some football so no exercise for me. Tomorrow I will get a workout in first thing and then work on cleaning the basement, organizing, and preparing for Lucas's birthday party next weekend. Hopefully we can even sneak in a trip to the corn maze :)

Janie - Great job on the good day and your full body workout!

Michelle - Glad you were prepared for the rain this time & great job keeping up the workouts through your injury :)

Cindy

Today I did a 25 min. of Low Impact Step. Beet red face and lots of sweat. He Haw! Calories less than 1,000. Still need to up the calories by 115 more. This was a good day.

Cindy, Great job on 1-6 Xtrain Cardio legs and house cleaning. You did it, and that's what counts. Will you be seeing a doctor about your lymph node soon? I'm worried for you. Enjoy your nephew's football.

Take care of yourself,

Janie

Just jumping in to say hi. I have been having technical difficulties with this site. And it won't let me post but I can reply and I haven't had time to deal with it! I am in my final two weeks of school and then I hope to be more regular around here. Even through everything I have been through in the last few years I have maintained a fairly consistent arc of working out, not like before, but plugging away at it. Until last month. I had a 1 1/3 hour each way into south denver for my last clinical so a total hour of 3 hours a day. Plus the start of school, the twins birthday(which is a very difficult time for me as you can imagine) and hosting a german exchange students just made it impossible to workout out. And interestingly enough after a month of not working out but maybe 2 times and some casual walks I find I don't want to workout now. Its amazing, where once I couldn't wait to workout now I dread it or don't do it even when I have time. So I know checking in here will help motivate me to workout and eventually look forward to it again!

Still very damp here in Virginia. Mostly just drizzle but it rained hard this moring when Toby and I were on our way to Saturday morning class. Fortunately, it let up right before it was time to get out of the vehicle and go into Pup 'N Iron. We do two classes on Saturday morning: obedience and nosework. The nosework class is lots of funny. There are only 7 handler/dog teams and it seems like everyone is more relaxed (including the dogs). Did Cross Train All Step today. Just used the step with no riser, kept the intensity low, and I was good to go with a little cardio. Really enjoy the ab work on this particular workout.

Laura: you are amazing. So proud of the way that you have continued to push for you and for Eliza. I know it has been hard and there have been time when you just wanted to curl up in a ball in despair, but you continue to grow and to go. It is easy not to exercise. Janie has been in the same "frame of mind." Take it easy and just do 20 minute workouts every other day. Before you know it, you willl want to workout again.

Janie: WooHoo--you are doing great! Keep getting those licks in! I'm working on cleaning up my eating. Too easy to snack between meals--I've cut that out. If I get a snack, it has to be a piece of fruit or 16 oz of water.

Cindy: you're doing really well with your workouts. Great job on XTRAIN cardio leg blast. Hope you are able to ward off the germs and don't end up sick. I don't think you have time to be sick with Lucas's birthday coming up. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that you stay healthy. Just be sure to get enough sleep.

Michelle

Today was another Total Body Sculpting for 27 min. Calories were 1,150. Just the way I like it.

Laura, You truly are amazing and learn from you every time you post. Like Michelle said I've been in that frame of mind not havrin the desire to exercise as well. I'm starting to get out it. YaHoo!!! You will motivate me too when you check in.

Michelle, Rain and drizzle here in the PNW. Great job on Toby classes and for you on Cross Train All Step. I like your snack idea. Fruit or water for this gal too.

Take care everyone,

Janie

Last edited:
I did RWH Chest, Biceps and Shoulders yesterday and Rhythmic Step today. I might do one of the fit tower 30 minute workouts to...

Renee and Janey: thanks for the support guys! I know checking in here will help motivate me!

Shadow pup!! MISS YOU!! Congratulations on that article about how awesome you are a while back!

The sun has made a comeback in the mid-Atlantic--Yeah! Did Cross Train KickBox today. Had to keep my kicks low on my right leg, but I got a decent workout in.

Shadowpup! You know you can come back to the group anytime. After all, you are one of the 5 coolest women. I have your article hanging up on my door at work. Lots of people have asked about you and how we met. I love telling people that we met through exercise. I know from your FB posts that you've gotten into climbing--are you still lifting weights and riding horses?

Laura: super job on the workouts. What do you think of the fit tower workouts? They were the first set of Cathe workouts that I did not buy. Couldn't do the leg workouts right now with my pulled glute/hammie. But curious to know what you think of them.

Waves to Janie and Cindy.
Michelle

Thank you for the warm welcome back! So much fun to be here :)

I did my regular Sunday climb in the gym - two hours, with two partners, which translates to roughly 40 minutes of actual climbing and 40 minutes belaying (holding the rope) for someone else, and 40 minutes resting. And, in honor of each and every one of you, I did most of a Cathe (gym style chest and triceps, timesaver). I substituted in my antagonist muscle exercises for some each of the biceps/triceps because I only had 30 minutes available.

Michele: You have my article posted on your door!?! I am flattered and blushing :). I'm glad you enjoyed it enough to keep it there. So - I still lift weights, though mostly at the climbing gym now. I do the ones that balance out the climbing - which doesn't work my chest, upper arms, triceps and reverse biceps as much - or where I am weak, meaning core and my hiking uphill muscles. But when we hit winter, I'll do more weights again. Am hoping to work up to STS by end of November ... Horses, another story, sigh. But not riding now. I'll post about that later.

Laura: Miss you too! It feels really nice to be "back" though probably in and out around travel schedules ... and ((hugs)) to you is all I can say. Jeff's birthday would have been the end of this month ... Anyway, you inspire me with your FB posts. Perhaps we can inspire each other to keep at it on the workout front.

Janie: Thanks for your encouragement and WOW on all your art. You have taken off - from the soap and the paper, through zentangles, and now what I see is even more incredibly gorgeous than every. And kudos on your step workouts! You are so diligent with those.

Cindy: Looking forward to getting to know you - you are doing some excellent workouts clearly! There is something nasty going around; it knocked me out for about a week, mainly from my not having the sense to avoid getting on a PLANE with a stuffed up head.

I'll be doing a fun vacation trip soon, which I'll post about afterwards. Overseas and it will be a blast. So don't worry when the posts pause for a week or two later this month. I'm not sure how much internet connectivity there will be.

Found out my family friend that I have known all my life and partly grown up with, passed from her battle with cancer. I'm so sad.

Yesterday was walking on the beach and later tonight part of Low Impact Step. Will post today's workout later today. Starting today I'm doing the May 2016 rotation for losing weight and staying healthy. Will be using mostly premixes.

Shadowpup, Deborah, Now you are once again and always will be a part of this team. So glad you are back. Been watching your death defying, cliff hanging life through FB and you amaze me. Keep up the fantastic life!

Laura, Great job on RWH Chest, Biceps and Shoulders and yesterday's Rhythmic Step Today. I just put my Tower together.

Michelle, Yay, for the sun! My favorite part of the day. LOL! Great job on Cross Train KickBox. Yep, be careful when you are not 100%. You did good.

Shadowpup, Thank you so much for your encouragements. Great job on Sunday climb of 40 min. and 40 min. of holding a heavy rope, I'm assuming. And how sweet you did part of gym style chest and triceps, timesaver for us. No problems missing a post now and then, we all do it from time to time. Life has a way of doing that. Just glad you are back with us.

Workout was Low Impact Sweat timesaver premix. Cardio #1, blizard blast and a stretch. Heavily modified, but the point is my heart rate was up in the duration of the workout. Time; 37 min. Sweaty and feeling good about myself. I've allotted 1,115 calories today.

Take care everyone,

Janie

Last edited:
Hello all!

Janie, thanks for the warm welcome back. Yes, you are right, I did always feel included on this team even when the gap between postings passed the year mark ... and I am so, so, so sorry for your loss. The people we grew up with have a special place in our hearts. It leaves a painful gap when they go. ((hugs)) to you. She sounds like a brave and wonderful woman from what you said on FB.

In the spirit of accountability, I have to admitthat my last Fitbit report is not great! It hit dismal, actually. That is mainly because I was out sick for over a week. During that week I went a truly disturbing mere 12K steps for the entire seven days :rolleyes: That's barely a day's worth of movement. No wonder my stamina is shot. I'm good for three or four hours, then down she goes. But it does feel good to be moving around and Sunday especially really helped get things loosened up. You can't rebuild if you don't work.

Speaking of work, today's workout is a little something I like to call "starting my packing before the last minute for once", which involves opening boxes of outdoor wear that arrived while I was ill (great for the lifting muscles), digging out tiny shampoo and other travel sized items from my stash - did you know they make a dry shampoo? and dry toothpaste? Wonderful! - that's great for the finger strength, and then running up and down the stairs to sort things out (mini HIIT steps). The kitties are most disturbed. They would prefer that my fitbit had nothing to report.

Michelle, Laura, Cindy - hope your week is off to a great start.

No official exercise all weekend but I got a ton done around the house and in preparation for the birthday party this Saturday. Food was great, for the first time in a LONG time I don't have food cravings, can logically reason my way out of eating something with sugar, and I don't feel the need to snack - it feels amazing! Down a pound from last week and I'll take it! Last night I did Cardio Kicks and just wasn't feeling it, not sure if it was me or the video but I did 20 min and then called it good. Tonight will be Metabolic Total Body.

They are talking snow around here so we may get our first flakes of the season tonight - I will have some VERY excited kids if so!

Janie - So sorry for your loss, hard to say good bye no matter the circumstances :( Great job on your workouts and calories, are you following a specific eating plan or just counting calories?

Michelle - Glad things dried up for you! The scents class sounds like a lot of fun and that you both are enjoying it. How is your body feeling?

Laura - Always good to hear from you and I'm glad that things will start to settle down a bit - always busy though :) I've been there with the battle to get working out into the routine again but I would suggest you do what you find fun to start and before you know it the exercise bug will be back!

Shadowpup - Sounds like you are a busy woman and very adventurous! I have not heard of dry toothpaste - I'll have to look into that. Your picture is beautiful - where was it taken? So glad you've joined us :)

Cindy

Cindy, thank you! Somehow and somewhen adventure and I became better friends ... I still pinch myself sometimes. That picture is from the spring, and is of me halfway up a route in the Cala Gonone region on Sardinia, Italy, on the east coast near the ocean. That was a particularly fun picture since it was one of the hardest climbs I've done "on lead", and the setting was gorgeous. You can see I've just managed a clip, am catching my breath, and checking out how I need to move get to the next clip. Kudos to you on mastering the cravings! That is just such a challenge. I go in and out of that neat space where you are now, where you can reason about hunger and make good choices. Sometimes weight loss takes energy away and perhaps that's why Cardio Kicks didn't do it for you? Nice job on getting organized for the birthday party. Sounds like you have quite an event planned.

Michelle, your hard work teaming with Toby is really paying off! Sounds like classmates all agree that you had a magical night!

Today I am continuing with "Packing Premix", hoping to get the clothing part settled so that tomorrow I'm down to printing travel documents and setting up my phone and so on. If all goes well I'll add a short Cathe. Normally Wednesday is a climbing day but this week I need it for packing.

Speaking of adventure, today we had one at work, which is not that unusual except that this was an entirely different and unexpected adventure from the usual type. I was sitting in my desk, catching up on calls to colleagues that came while most of us were attending an outdoor Halloween - themed morale booster party. My introverts were doing karaoke and chacha in public! Amazing! But that is not the unusual thing I'm telling you about here.

My office and my immediate staff offices are along a short corridor on both sides, and it's normal for people to walk back and forth, quickly, when it gets busy. Consequently the fast footsteps outside my doorway didn't break consciousness though I sort of wondered why there were so many ... BUT. There was a loud "That's not good!" shout and a quick pelting back my way!

I stepped out and my assistant said, kind of choked up - and I am not kidding - "there is a SNAKE in Joe's office"!

Of course you are thinking what I was thinking. Halloween themed party, someone brought a rubber snake that's realistic, and put it in one of the offices, and this is either a prank for me or a prank on my assistant. So I decided to play along, and went down the corridor to take a look.

THERE WAS A SNAKE IN JOE'S OFFICE! Hidden behind the door, a tiny fierce little thing, maybe six or eight inches long, all reared up and poised to strike. And ...it had the rings and coloration of a copperhead.

Yes, all, there really was a baby copperhead snake in Joe's office, tucked behind the door, hissing and darting its tiny head, daring us all to get just a little closer. "US" means me, and my deputy, since everyone else had sensibly backed off to "Let Leadership handle it."

You will be glad to know that the snake was captured without injury, using cups and paper plates, and carefully deposited outside our fenceline in the no-trespassing woods. Our best guess is that it came in on party goods somehow.

I don't know who is going to break the news to Joe. We are all going to check under desks in case of lingering squirmy visitors tomorrow :) Trespassers beware.

Addendum. Did Cathe gym style chest and triceps timesaver, again substituting some additional antagonist muscle groups for the third or fourth sets of each (delts, upward push/shoulder, Ys and Ts, wrist twists, and reverse lifts).

Last edited:
Did DVD called Ripped With HiiT Legs. Premix #1 All Strength. It was 29.5 min. long. Here is the picture of the pair of weight I used. 5#, 8#, 10#, 12# and 15# dumbbells.Then a relaxing stretch. Stretching was SO needed. Calories were 1100. YaHoo!!! Of course I modified big time. Heart rate was up for the duration of the exercise.

Shadowpup, Good job on the packing premix. LOL! Don't you just love it when nature investigates. How cool is that? Nice break from work too. Are copperhead snakes dangerous? I think they might be. Glad you were careful. Great job on Cathe gym style chest and triceps timesaver. Modification is my middle name. Well, for now. But I'm sure yours was modified to do different way of working out. Good Job!

Cindy, Great job on getting a ton of work done around the house and preparation for birthday party for Sat. No food cravings? I have food cravings, but I tell myself if it doesn't hurt then it's OK. And being a little hungry does not hurt. So there you go. LOL! Great job for doing Cardio Kicks. 20 min. is better than none. Good for you. Yuck about snow talk. I count calories.

Take care everyone,

Janie

Tuesday I did ICE Metabolic Total Body and was only planning to do 30 min but did the whole thing and loved the sweat :) Last night I did RWH Plyo Hiit 1 and struggled but did my best. Food has been good and the scale was down this morning plus I'm wearing some pants that I couldn't fit into for the past few months so I'm feeling on top of the world. Lucas is officially 4 today, I no longer have a baby :( I will do Xtrain Legs tonight and finish cleaning the house. No snow in our area but it's on the mountains around us.

Shadowpup - What a crazy story! Glad no one got hurt :) I hope the packing is going well.

Janie - Great job on your calories and workout RWH Legs is a hard one! Keep up the great work :)

Michelle - Hope your week is going well!

Cindy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.