Getting Our Licks In!

Yesterday was a rest day according to the PiYo rotation. Tonight will do the Upper Body one. The temps here in NY are ridiculously HOT! Feels like 105. Glad I'm just doing PiYo this week instead of all that HIIT & weight training.

Cindy: Its great hearing from you again. Congrats on the 10#s. That's wonderful! Keep up the great work. Weight loss does slow down at some point and then before you know it quite a bit of weight comes off again. Just give it time. Lucas is doing wonderful too on the potty training. I'm sure he'll be fine at day care. What concert did you go to? Thx so much for the cauliflower pizza recipe. I'll try it on Saturday night. :) Glad you'll be joining me for PiYo too even if it is only for a few days. How do you incorporate PiYo in to your regular rotation? I can never seem to figure it out.

Waves to Janie Sis & Michelle & Toby!
Kathy

I got a walk in, a bike ride in, and did PiYo Sculpt last night. I've been looking at my food and am going to try to replace veggies with the occasional nutbutter that I've been having as a treat. Just going to keep on keeping on. Tonight is RWH Low Impact 1 + abs 2, should be good!

Lucas did so/so yesterday with the potty training, we talked about how underwear aren't like diapers so you can't pee/poop in them, he didn't seem to separate the two in his head. Hopefully today is better!

Kathy - Thanks for the reassurance on the weight loss, I know my body ebs and flows but it sure is annoying when I avoid chocolate! That heat sounds horrible, we had a taste of fall the past few days with lows in the 40's and rain, nice break but it's back to 90's by Friday. What I'm trying is 3 days/week of Hiit style workouts and then 3 days/week of PiYo. We'll see how I like it :) We went to Ryan Bingham, he's country but has a lot of Dylan and rock influence to his music. It was a good show.

Cindy

Last edited:
Yesterday I did an ab add on from Basic Step and a segment from Total Body Stretching. Did yoga relax today.

Cindy, Thank you for the recipe. I'm going to try that one next week. Great job on walking, biking and PiYo Sculpt last night. Whew! You have to eat what works for you. Keep on keeping on. Lucas is getting so big already!

Kathy Sis, Great job on your rest day yesterday. So sorry about the high temps. Stay cool however you can.

Take care everyone,

Janie

The PiYo rotation had me doing the Upper Body workout again. I do far better w/this program in the summer than the winter due to my muscles being warmer? I'll be switching up the rotation next week to incorporate more of the harder workouts. Last night was the Lower Body workout. Each time you do it the balance gets better. Enjoyed this one too.

Taking today as a rest day.

Will probably go out Saturday night w/DH for some eats & drinks. :) Sunday will go to the beach.

Cindy: Great workouts & I wish I could eat nutbutter. I used to like putting it on my waffle for a snack. Yum. Your temps are sure cold. It rained Thursday & thank goodness it cooled things off today. Gorgeous weather today & for the weekend too. Lucas will understand potty training. Just takes a little time. Thx for letting me know how you incorporate in the PiYo workouts. I'm figuring it all out in the next 2 weeks how I'll incorporate them in. At least a few anyway.

Janie Sis: Good workouts. Its pretty hot in your neck of the woods today. I noticed on the news 94 degrees. Stay cool too.

Waves to Michelle. Still haven't gotten onto FB. :( argh!
Have a great weekend everyone!
Kathy

Wednesday I did RWH Low Impact 1 and last night was PiYo Sweat. Tonight I'll do RWH Low Impact 2 and then work on cleaning the house. No big plans for the weekend since Dave has to work. I have Pilates Saturday morning and then will take the kids to do some shopping. After that I plan to just hand out and relax a bit while doing a few things here and there.

I found out yesterday my brother is having his wedding here in Montana on Monday at 9 am, I'm a bit disappointed he didn't value us being there enough to #1 tell/invite me and #2 make sure we could actually make it. A bit bummed on that front!

Kathy - Great work with the PiYo, I struggle at times fitting everything I want into a week and am enjoying swapping between Hiit and PiYo. Sounds like you have a lovely weekend planned.

Janie - Nice work with the workouts! I'm excited to be done with diapers but also a little sad his babyhood is gone.

Cindy

Did RWH upper body workouts this week and different premixes from Party Rocking Step 1--I'm feeling like I need some workout inspiration. Hopefully Cathe will post a good August rotation. We are doing an exercise challenge in my division at work. You log your steps and then get X number of steps with different types of exercise that you log. The goal is 8,000 steps a day in order to "walk" across the U.S. from one coast to the other. I'm actually bordering on finally breaking down and getting a fitbit to help "motivate" me for this challenge. I think my issue is just that I need to take some time off. I've only taken off about two days since the first of the year. I think it is time....

Cindy: So happy for your weight loss. It is also very exciting that you are just about done with diapers. That is very cool for you and for Lucas. Your Tabata workouts are making me think I might focus on Tabata workouts for my cardio next week. I haven't done Tabatas in a while, might be a nice change of pace.

However--first a little yoga tomorrow--inspired by Kathy and Janie--before I hiit the Tabatas.

Janie: my DH was reading an article in the Washington Post about warm water temps effecting the salmon population in Washingon State. HATE to hear that. Are ya'll getting enough rain this year?

Kathy: your core must be getting stronger if your balance it better. SUPER!

Toby wants to remind everyone to GET THEIR LICKS IN. He sends kisses and tail wags to each of you.
Michelle

Yoga relax today and a few walks with Toby. Might take my little boy to PetSmart later on. DH says that Toby needs some new stuffed squeaky toys since he had to throw some out this week. Toby has pulled all the stuffing out of them. Thinking about getting a FitBit. DH slept in this morning so we didn't make our planned day trip to the boat; maybe next week. The long term forecast is for some really nice days at the end of this coming week. Hope that holds up.

Waves to everyone!
Michelle

Been doing yoga everyday. Some are tougher than others, but all good.

Michelle, Great job on yoga relax and a few walks w/ Toby. Hope you have good weather coming your way.

Michelle, Tell Toby will remember to get our licks in. Lots of pets his way. Great job on RWH upper body w/o's this week & different prem from Party Rocking Step 1. Giving you workout inspiration... I love the idea of an exercise challenge in the work place. I highly recommend a day off from exercise at least once a week. It's really important so not to cause injury later on. The temps here are dry and warm. Haven't heard anything about our Salmon. But not having time enough for news. Better turn the TV on.

Cindy, Great workouts. You are doing so well.

Kathy Sis, Great job on Upper Body and for last night Lower Body workout. Enjoy your rest day.

Take care everyone,

Janie

Had a nice weekend and stayed active. RWH Low Impact 2 on Friday, Pilates Saturday morning and RWH Circuit Upper body last night. Tonight I'll do RWH Circuit Lower body.

Janie - I think I need to get a yoga workout into my routine my muscles want the stretch! Great job!

Michelle - I like my fitbit and find 10,000 pretty easy most days to get it so I'm sure you will too! They're fun to see how active we are through the week. New toys for Toby, I'm sure he won't complain!

Cindy

Saturday changed up the rotation & did Strength Intervals & Sunday was Hardcore on the Floor. Chalene wasn't kidding w/these workouts. What a sweaty mess I was by the end of them. Tonight's Drench I think. Can't remember.

Cindy: Great workouts & I know you had fun w/Pilates. I'm sorry to hear that your brother got married w/out you & Dave being there. The RWH Circuit LB one is definitely not a favorite of mine. I much prefer the ub one.

Janie Sis: Glad you too are doing yoga. Mine is definitely not a relaxing one though. I have DOMS everywhere. I too had heard about the salmon in Washington State. The water's are too warm & the salmon are dying.

Michelle: Great to hear from you. Have fun w/the work challenge. I'm sure you'll be able to get in 8,000 steps w/no problem. It certainly is time you took time off from work. Toby will be wagging his tail & licking your face when he sees all the new toys. I'll be sure to get my licks in from him. How's Renee?

Have a good day everyone,
Kathy

RWH LB Circuit last night and man it gives me a bit of dread factor but I'm glad I did it. Tonight is PiYo but not sure which one yet! I found a tasty recipe that I thought I'd share, my adaptations for my needs are in parentheses, pretty tasty!

Healthy Zucchini Soft "Taco" Shells
Yield: 8 - 5-inch Shells
Total Time: 45 Minutes
Enjoy these shells as a snack or a wrap, so think beyond the taco. Don't bake them too long, or they'll dry out and be difficult to peel off. To help from sticking, you can lightly spray the parchment paper with oil. But you'll end up with a less crispy shell.
Squeezing out as much excess water in the grated zucchini will make the taco shells a little more “firm”. One method is to microwave the zucchini till moisture releases, then squeezing out the water. Or lightly sautéing the zucchini for a few minutes, then squeezing out the water. Just be careful to not cook the zucchini too much or use too much oil, or else you’ll get mush.
Ingredients:
  • 4 cups (950ml) zucchini, coarsely grated
  • 1 large egg (1T flaxseed meal with 1.5 T water)
  • 1/2 cup (120ml) grated parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup (60ml) bread crumbs (almond meal)
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
Directions:
  1. Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees F.
  2. Remove as much moisture as you can from the zucchini. Add zucchini to large bowl and mix in remainder of the taco shell ingredients (egg, parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, black pepper, salt, garlic powder, and cumin).
  3. Cover baking sheets with parchment paper or oven proof baking mat. Scoop about ¼ cup of mixture and press down on baking pan into a thin circle, about 5” wide. Repeat for remainder of mixture.
  4. Bake shells for about 25 minutes, or until the shells look “crisp’ and brown around the edges. We like to bake the shells a little longer for a more charred texture and flavor. Just be careful to not bake too long or else the shells dry out and are hard to peel off.
  5. After zucchini soft taco shells are cool, gently peel them off the parchment paper.
Read more at http://whiteonricecouple.com/recipes/zucchini-soft-taco-shells/#hoj6IftcOfmVJoZU.99

Kathy - I do love how PiYo makes me sweat :) Great job! I like Circuit UB better too but I know it's because I dread static lunges!

Cindy

Last night was PiYo's Total Body Blast which is a bonus dvd that I purchased a while back. First time trying this one. It uses disks. Unfortunately it was difficult for me when I reached the section of doing pikes with the disks on my feet. Very hard to move the disks due to them sticking to my puzzle mats. Cindy: Do you happen to have the BB disks? I was using Cathe's. I had to switch & use paper plates instead. But even those when doing a bridge move one of the disks got stuck to the mat & wouldn't move. Frustrating. Its a very good workout. Despite this I liked it. Tonight's Drench & I'm sure to be drenched when finished. LOL

Cindy: Thank you very much for the recipe. I'll try this one but will have to swap out certain ingredients but I always have to do this anyway to recipes. Kudos to you for doing the LB Circuit one. I have such a dread factor w/that one. You must've burned serious calories w/that one.

Janie Sis: How did your yoga go today?

Waves to Michelle!
Kathy

I did PiYo Hardcore on the Floor last night and my legs were screaming at me! Tonight I'll do Afterburn 1-10 single intervals. I'm trying a paleo chili recipe tonight, hopefully it turns out and the family like it, won't have most of what they're used to in it!

Kathy - I don't have the BB disks only Cathe's. Did they still stick with the black covers on them? I don't think I have that DVD but sounds like a good one! I'm the same with recipes, I just get used to what to substitute with so it never seems like a big deal :)

Waves to Michelle and Janie!

Cindy

I did PiYo's Drench & all I can say is OMG! Chalene goes a little too fast for me w/certain moves. As a result my right leg is killing me today. I have major DOMS in the leg. Tonight was supposed to be Strong Legs which is the other workout on the bonus dvd. However, if I'm still in pain I might just have to do the Extended Stretch from STS instead.

Cindy: Hard Core on the Floor is exactly that! HARDCORE! LOL Chalene starts off easy but then WHAM she just goes right into every move very quickly. I'm finding these workouts to be great but for some reason my right leg doesn't like it. I picked all the hard ones too for this week. Remind me not to do this again. You did great. Kudos for doing Afterburn tonight. The discs with the covers don't work either on the puzzle mats. :( I don't seem to have a problem in Fall & Winter when its cool. I'll try putting some baby powder on the discs to see if that helps.

Waves to Janie Sis & Michelle!
Kathy

Last night my left leg was killing me + I had major DOMS in my glutes from Drench it wasn't funny. :) I decided it was best to take a rest day. Had a good night's sleep & the leg is much better today. I'm torn between 3 PiYo workouts. Trying to decide if I want to do Sculpt, Sweat or Strong Legs which uses the discs. I'll let you all now tomorrow what I did.

Take care everyone,
Kathy

Afterburn 1-10 single intervals felt, dare I say, a little too easy last night! Not sure if it was just the night or if I need to step it up a bit. I did push myself to get deeper on squats and really give each move my all but I may have to start doing the entire workout if time allows. Tonight is PiYo, I haven't decided which yet but it will be one of the 30 min workouts since I need to start cleaning the house tonight. All week I've been on top of things and getting the kids to bed about 15 min earlier, it really seems to give me quite a bit more time to get things done!

Kathy - Glad you listened to your body and took a night off and got rest! Crazy on those discs, I hope the baby powder works for you.

Cindy

A quick check-in. Somehow the weekdays have been getting away from me. Wasn't able to exercise Monday or Tuesday but did get some good walks in with my pup. Yesterday was 4DS Kickbox--had time to do the cardio and 15 minutes of weight work. Today was STS Total Body; I did the single sets prexmix which was 45 minutes long. I'm extending my workouts to 45 minutes--can you tell, LOL! That means Toby has to lay down and be a good, quiet boy in his crate for 45 minutes which he is managing to do. I sure will be glad when he learns to just lay down (not in the crate) and chill while I workout, but right now the pup wants to be part of everything so he has to be in his crate. Speaking of Toby--I'm increasing the diversity of his healthy snacks: frozen green beans, celery, dried mango, sweet potato sticks, tomatoes, and cheese. The mango and tomatoes are new this week and he gobbled up both items.

Kathy: the workouts you are doing sound like they really pack a punch. Are you doing a combination of Chalene drench and piyo workouts or are they all from Piyo? Obviously, I'm not as familiar with Chalene's workouts. Maybe one of these days, I'll give her a try.

Cindy: the zucchini soft tacos look very good; unfortunately my DH is not a big fan of zucchini--I'd have to mix in some chicken, tomatoes, and avocado to make him happy. Are you and Kathy doing the same Chalene workouts? And yes, sounds like you need to do all of Afterburn. You are really making great strides with your eating and your workouts. So happy for you.

Janie: I'm watching the construction of your new craft room on FB. Very nice. But I'm thinking you might need a double-wide--you do so much, I'm not sure how all your projects are going to fit in that room.

Michelle

Last night was PiYo's Sculpt. Oh my goodness! I thought I was going to cave when Chalene had you doing tricep pushups into wide pushups & then into a side plank & if that's not enough expecting you to pull your knee into your elbow crunching inward. I think I'm officially done w/PiYo everyday anyway. Whew! There's also a bonus workout called Turbo Fire Low Impact HIIT 20 min. I'm going to try this one tonight.

Starting Saturday I'm going back to heavy lifting using my squat rack. Haven't used it in quite a while & it must be feeling lonely. I'll put 1 HIIT, kickboxing & then also 1 PiYo. I want to keep up w/my flexibility & get even better at these workouts.

Michelle: Good to hear from you. I know how crazy busy you are between work & Toby. Your workouts are always terrific. Cindy & I are doing PiYo together but I'm strictly doing PiYo everyday whereas Cindy does PiYo & HIIT & metabolic conditioning workouts. PiYo combines pilates & yoga but goes at a much faster pace than traditional yoga. Its definitely not relaxing. Some are harder than others. I unfortunately did all of the hard ones this week instead of mixing them up between lighter ones & harder ones. Flexibility is far better though. You should give Chalene a try.

Janie Sis: I didn't realize that your creating a craft room. That's wonderful. You certainly need it. Is this in your main house or the beach house?

Waves to Cindy!
Have a great weekend everyone,
Kathy

I did PiYo Sculpt last night and then didn't bother with starting to clean the house, the bummer is I now need to get it all done tonight :( I plan on doing Athletic Training tonight. I promised the kids I'd take them to a park after work tonight and we all have to get in bed on time because Lily will be in a parade in the morning for cheer and then she's performing at a local arts and music festival in town. Should be fun and I'm thankful Dave took the day off to help me :) Other than that a typical weekend which I hope the weather stays dry so we can play yard games and BBQ on Saturday.

Kathy - Those pushups kill me too, I feel like my arms are going to give up on me! I agree that I need to keep PiYo in my regular rotation so I can get better rather than keep suffering :)

Michelle - Toby is growing up! He'll be able to sit still for your workouts eventually ;) I'm just mixing PiYo into my routine a few days a week but still doing mostly Hiit workouts. I do enjoy PiYo and hate when I forget workouts for awhile.

Cindy

Intensity today; the whole dang thing. My legs have super DOMS now after STS total body yesterday. And oh boy, tomorrow is HIIT 30/30. But first little Toby and I have puppy kindergarten in the morning. Tomorrow I'm taking "high value" training treats with me; hopefully those will motivate him more than his Charlee Bears did this past Monday.

Cindy and Kathy: those PiYo workouts sound CRAZY! I'm not sure I could keep up but you guys have me intrigued enough to check it out on the Beachbody website.

Cindy: I know how you feel about cleaning house. I'm vaccuuming alot more with Toby these days. Dog hair everywhere. Boy, I sure did miss the dog hair. Another busy weekend for you with your family. I'll be looking for a picture or two of Lily on FB (maybe?).

Waves to Janie who must be busy getting her craft room set up.
Michelle

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.