Getting Heart rate too high

goldenrun358

Cathlete
Ok ladies, sorry for all the questions, but you all are knowledgeable and I'm early (4weeks), so I haven't seen my doc yet.

Here's the question: do any of you ever get so involved in your workout that you forget the heart rate a get it a little too high? I teach muscle pump and this Tuesday my HR hit 187. Now, I'm freaking out and afraid to keep exercising because I don't want this to happen again. Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Oh goodness yes. That happened all the time at the beginning. The old rule was to not let it get above 140. But nowadays, I am not sure how they changed it , but they have. Now it is relative to your fitness level, but don't quote me. 140 is so easy to reach when you are so fit. I hear that as long as you can still talk while working out reasonably, that you are okay. Also, monitor your temperature. It can't rise above a certain number like 101 or 102 - just like with baths. Try researching it or asking your dr if unsure.

Oh goodness yes. That happened all the time at the beginning. The old rule was to not let it get above 140. But nowadays, I am not sure how they changed it , but they have. Now it is relative to your fitness level, but don't quote me. 140 is so easy to reach when you are so fit. I hear that as long as you can still talk while working out reasonably, that you are okay. Also, monitor your temperature. It can't rise above a certain number like 101 or 102 - just like with baths. Try researching it or asking your dr if unsure.

ITA. I never check my HR as I don't wear my HRM. Just go based on how you feel. I haven't had any problems, but I'm REALLY fit. So, that being said, you need to monitor yourself based on yourself.

goldenrun - i never check my heart rate either. like the above posters said, i mostly go off how i feel. i make sure i can breath ok. i'm in very good shape as well and ontinue to due advanced workouts. if one day im too tired or cant breathe easy, i take it down a notch or walk in place until i'm ready to pick it back up again. The main thing is to listen to your body. If you feel good and can breathe fine, you shoudl be ok to keep going at the same intensity. if you are gasping for air when normally you dont, its a sign you are doing too much. Im 36 weeks pregnant and im still able to do ab work and lie on my back, even tho i've read you arent supposed to and will feel the negative effects immediately. That doesnt seem to bother me and when it does, i just modify.
Good luck and congrats on your pregnancy! Come join our check in if you'd like :)

Phewww! I feel better knowing you all are still doing the same thing. I started this pregnancy the most fit I have ever been. Working out harder and eating cleaner. I had actually just finished working with a personal trainer who is an IFBB pro fitness competitor and fitness model. Needless to say, her workouts weren't nice. I am going back to doing Cathe intermixed with my own rotations and at home working at my own pace is fine. But, this is a little harder when I am teaching. I really like to get people pumped up and I always show modifications, but do the hardest option personally. I consider myself to be in awesome shape, but still I don't want to do anything to cause harm. It's hard to have to think about something else besides myself and my personal goals when working out. I guess this is just the beginning though! ;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.