Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today. Already a member? Simply log in above.

For those of us with heart rate monitors

Discussion in 'Cathe TV: Cathe Live and OnDemand' started by shanihib, Apr 14, 2009.

1. shanihib Cathlete

in interval training/circuits, what ranges are we trying to hit? When we go for the break between circuits, how do we know that our heart rates are low enough? I find myself getting very winded and not quite at full power when I start a new circuit in most workouts and wondering if that is the way it is supposed to be or if I need a longer break! I figured with the science behind STS and using the 1RM calculations, there must be a target range for the cardio too.! Thanks in advance! I'm loving the workouts. :)

2. Tamrahan Cathlete

This is a great question, I wonder this too. I find when doing Cathe cardio I'm practically red lining through pretty much the whole workout. Is this how it is supposed to be?

3. hriacobacci Cathlete

I'd be curious about this as well. My DH just bought me a heart rate monitor and I really am clueless about all the zones.

Heather

4. Jazcam Cathlete

That a good question.

5. morningstar Cathlete

I find the opposite- that only interval running makes my heart rate really go up; DVD workouts, even Cathe's, rarely get me to even 80% of my max heart rate. The exception is when I go to high impact step, and that's bad for my knees.

6. lori254 Cathlete

Huh???????

7. careyben Cathlete

Well put...

8. christosz Cathlete

Just another one of the spam posts.... just ignore it!!!
    :D:D:D:D

9. tsagona Cathlete

Morningstar:

If you can do Cathe workouts without getting beyond 80% of your max heart rate you must have the strongest heart in the world. Even Cathe is breathing in such a way in some of her workouts that indicate she is beyond what I would think is 80% (KPC comes to mind). I am unable to breathe in most Cathe cardio workouts but it has certainly increased my endurance like nothing else. But good for you for being so strong. I hope I get there one day.

Tracy

10. amyg Cathlete

Interval workouts like the IMaxes are cardio based so you want to keep your HR 60-80% of your max for the step portions and ramp it up to 70-90% of your max for the blast portions.

Circuit workouts are not intervals per se; weight workouts with cardio like LIC or Cardio & Weights are what is generally thought of as a circuit workout. Your HR will likely lower during the weight portion and go up during the cardio portions but there isn't really a set range for any of it. HTH

11. amyg Cathlete

(This is from an old post I just remembered feeling smart when I wrote it, LOL! But there isn't really a set range for any of them like there is with your 1RM in STS.)

Circuit training is moving from one activity to another... for example, a circuit weight workout is weights then cardio like many of Cathe's workouts. LIC, High Step Challenge, etc.

Interval training is taking your heart rate from a steady pace to an elevated pace and then repeating that pattern. Each Imax accomplishes that with the step portion followed by a blast. (Step = steady, Blast
    = elevated) The cardio coach and itrain workouts do the same thing but with pace/elevation changes to increase your heart rate.