Feeling like a weakling- able to lift half of Cathe's weights

I must have a look at STS - been dipping into Cathe workouts with my new OnDemand subscription, trying to find ones that will push me just that bit out of my comfort zone but not totally floor me. I do wonder, though - if it's an advanced weights workout in which Cathe and the class are using 20s and higher, does it do any good to do the workout with my lower weight range? Or should I focus on workouts where the recommended weights are in my range and going just a few pounds higher ? (Bearing in mind that I am quite challenged by my 13lbs in upper body movements and I really CAN'T do bicep curls or shoulder raises with my 17lb at all yet).

This morning before work I did the S&S Boot Camp. I loved it - I was more or less matching Cathe's weights. I have no barbell so used 2 x 10lb dumbbells and for the heavier exercises employed my 5kg (11lb) or my 6kg (13lb). I failed twice - I could do one arm rear flies with the 10s but when it came to doing double arm I had to drop down to 8s. Last exercise in the workout is kickbacks in a plank and Cathe uses 10s. I knew even before starting I had no chance of lifting that weight with my triceps so I used 8s and even then I could only do 8 of the 12 reps before my arms just gave out on me. But it's all progress and I'm pleased I could do so much of it. The cardio segments I absolutely loveloveloved!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.