EARLY Check-In W/E 4/21

My best wishes to all of you who are fighting illness and/or injury. Hang in there, be patient, and listen to your body.
My week:
Mon. -- 35 min. of intervals on stationary bike. upper body weight work. abs
Tues. -- IMAX
Wed. -- 35 min. on stationary bike. >100rpms. lower body weight work. abs
Thurs. -- off
Fri -- Bodymax
Sat. -- off
Sun. -- PS chest/shoulders/tris
Worked in the yard most of today. It was about 85 here in Annapolis. Really nice day. Had Brandon outside in his swing. He seems fascinated with all of the colorful flowers.
For dinner I rewarded myself with a nice cold Belgian beer and some grilled chicken.
Tomorrow comes quickly.......especially on sundays!! :)
Trevor

There's no question!

Of course one Chuck Norris should supervise/inspire your workouts!

Big Sister advice

Wendy, have you had your knee checked by a professional yet? Are you icing after your workouts? I'm a minimalist on drugs but an anti-inflamatory might be in order. Please take care. You're still doing quite a bit.
Debra

Wow - fixed gear training

Just teasing, but it's an off-season training technique for cyclists. Wonder how much that Schwinn weighs?

Another achy knee check-in

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Apr-22-01 AT 07:56PM (Est)[/font][p]Wow, there are a lot of knee aches this week. My knee is doing much better - really gave me a scare.

Mon: Walk/trot started & aborted when a knee started to squeal
Tue: rower 20 min @ low resistance & rpm; Precision Toning (knee very unstable but felt better after rowing)
Wed: Spin (moderate tension & no jumps); Firm Max Body Sculpting w/ sis
Thurs: Pilates training (reformer & mat)
Fri: Cycle 25 miles (flat)
Sat: nada - stormy
Sun: Cycle 47 miles w/ DH (hilly but moderate intensity)

My husband installed a big mirror in our workout area so I can check my form :-jumpy & he can preen :-rollen! He recently resumed weight training & is pleased with the results. He told me he was on the way to a Baldwin physique (he's on NYPD Blue). I pointed out that it might be unrealistic since Baldwin has a different body type. Later in the week, he told me to call him Jackson (a character on Ally McBeal). I envy his positive body image but he has more in common with Robert Downey Jr. than fair skin - like a small ectomorph frame! Oh well, it's motivating him :7.

Take care everyone!
Debra

Quick Checkin...

Just got in from out of town and have tons of laundry to do.

Very busy week with sick toddler and lots of errands to run. I can't remember what I did when so I'm just going to list my workouts. Here's my week:

Walk around the neighborhood with the toddler boy
MIS UB
Todd Gheisar Team Knockout WO 1 - great form pointers and instruction but too easy for a regular workout. This was my fun workout of the week though because my Dad did this tape with me. He made it through the warmup and the punching section before he sat down to rest. He liked the tape so I left it for him to use. We'll see what happens.
TaeBo II Basic
Play at the playground with the toddler boy and niece

Hope everyone who is under the weather gets to feeling better! Have a great week everyone.

DebH: DANCIN'

I got a chance to Dance last night at a wedding--haven't been dancing in Ages!! And it was so much fun...boogying in 3" heels in my Ginger Rogers float around dress... well, I can still DO IT (and not look Too ridiculous! thanks to Cathe!)Thought of your signature line this a.m....

We trailered Echo home yesterday, too. He was an angel-horse. FUN :D FUN times.

I concentrated on finishing Echo's training aND NOT LOSING MY JOB while I was at it--so week so sub-par:
Yogasculpt Karen Voight--LIKE THIS ONE!!
Kelly Roberts Step--still like this one, too.
Firm Cardio Burn "this is fun...":-sleepy
Firm Time Crunch
MIS today.

RE: Wow - fixed gear training

Back during the Johnson administration (Lyndon, not Andrew!), I had a one speed Schwinn bike which I fault for building up my calves as big as they are. I used to ride that thing on hills all over my neighborhood when I was about 12 0r 13 years old. That sucker was HEAVY!!!!!!! Big balloon tires. It would be an antique now. Even to this day I have a hard time handling over 3 gears on a bike, I'm so used to leg power!

Hey Murph!

So glad to hear Echo is finally home. Sounds like his training was so fun for you! I have YogaSculpt also. I guess maybe I need to dig that out and give it a try. Keep on Dancin'!!!

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH :)

"If You Get The Chance To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!"

Hey Lisa!

Just wanted to wish you luck and a safe trip as you make your move. Are you all packed up? Be sure to give extra "bubble wrap" attention to your tapes! :7 Keep in touch. We'll be excited to hear where you end up!

Hey Kim!

Great to C U here! Good for you on listening to your body. It's so nice to hear that your ham is finally on it's way to a full recovery. Hope 2 C U around more.

Hi Susan!

I'm with you~Spring is wonderful especially after the Winter we've had. Good for you for not over doing it. Keep up the good work.

Hey Kelly!

Whew Girl! What an "Obstacle-Week" you had! This week has GOT to be better. Good for you for being optimistic. Did you make your hushpuppies from scratch? I LOVE H-P's! Red Lobster no longer has them and that was my fav thing there. Good Luck this week.

Hey Lorrie!

My sis, "Lorrie" is here from Florida!!! My elbow is MUCH better. I am taking it very easy as it is not 100% yet, but it's getting there. Thanks for asking. Take it easy with your knees. It is definitely hard to gear down but worth it in the long run. Have a great week.

Hey Wendy!

Just curious which part of the tape you feel is unsafe? I use many of his moves in my class. We do a lot of right angle stuff as it really targets that outer thigh area. Just being nosey. I'm with you on it being outdated, especially clothing wise. I could do w/o the leg warmers and the head sweat band he wears! :7 How does Great Moves and United Steps compare intensity wise to Cathe tapes? Great price on them.

RE: Hey Wendy!

Wendy, thank you so much for the "homeworkout"!
Few minutes ago I ordered some Kari A. tapes.

Hope, I like them!?

Have a nice day! Marga

Gosh there are a lot of injuries! Don't push it or you'll be down longer! Same with being sick.

2nd week of CTX for me. I was surprised at how much more I was able to do cardio wise in just one week. Less and less modifying. And I still love Leaner Legs even though it kills me! We were looking at the pics on the computer last night and the last one was of me doing one-legged squats. I looked at dh and said, "What's this?!" He said, "At least I waited until you weren't just standing there staring at the screen." Guess I was taking a break;-) Did I mention he bought me a workout outfit for Easter! He was so excited to give it to me!

DebH-THanks so much for all the info. I talked to my Mom and she doesn't remember asking me! Waaaaaay too much time on the barstools I guess. We'll see what comes of it. Maybe I can just get the guts to start my own class:-shy

Andrea

RE: Hey Kelly!

Thanks Debbie. Yeah I made my hushpuppies from scratch. They turned out great. I never go by a recipe so they turn out differently every time. I am feeling sooooo much better this week and had a great workout today. It's nice to feel good. Being sick makes you apprecite being well so I guess you could say sickness can be a good thing... maybe? Have a great week.

Kelly

RE: Hey Wendy!

Hi Debbie :-0
Well, I am ultra sensitive in the low back area, so... When Greg is positioned so that he can touch both of his feet with his hands (the "L" shape), I felt strain in my back, so I modified my position to be a bit less of a right angle. Also, when he is doing the inner thigh lifts and lifts the upper leg straight up into the air and then kind of swings that lower one right up to it...I didn't even try that, knowing it would strain me. I just kept my upper leg where it was (I cant' remember where it was at the moment... :) ), and slowly raised my lower leg up, but not all the way perpendicular to the floor.
I just find the fire-hydranty ones uncomfortable on my back, too. Rather than bring my leg out to the side like he does, I lift it up behind me (Do you have or have you ever seen Kathy smith's Secrets to a Great Lower Body? That's what I'm talking about.)
I'm loving the other parts of the tape--everything really does hit that outer thigh area--and those little bitty presses when you have the knees pulled in tight to the body are new to me and great. Hope I didn't give you the impression that I was unhappy with the tape! I'm so glad I have it, just wanted to mention that I modify some of the stuff...

As for intensity of the Great Moves stuff: I'm not a good judge of the hi-lo, because I usually try to keep it low. Its dancier than, say the Hi-lo from MIC. Also, there wasn't much of a warmup, but she says so from the beginning. You know, it might be areally good buy for you--it is actually designed for instructors to give them new ideas for their classes. Its so cheap, you can't go wrong! the step one was not as intense as Cathe's stuff, but I liked it. It uses two steps, but I only have, and use, one. I just like her a lot, but you have to put more into it to make it as intense as Cathe...
Boy, that was really helpful, huh ? :)
I'm thinking of buying some headbands, legwarmers (purple, don't you think?), and some shimmery tights to pull it all together.
talk to you soon!
Wendy

RE: Big Sister advice

Hi Debra :)
Thanks for the concern. Please beleive me when I say "modified to low impact". I'm telling you, I am hardly working up a sweat, I'm being so careful! All the work is coming from hugely exagerated arm movements--next, my shoulder will be out of whack!
I haven't gone to a doctor. I have been sporadically icing it (sorry, I'll do better!), and today I started on two Alleve twice a day for 15 days (advice, sight unseen, from a sports therapist doctor of a friend of mine...)
It is feeling a bit better to day...
thanks again for your thoughts :)
Wendy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.