DVD dedicated to stretching

cissysquit

Would love to see a workout dedicated to stretching - great for use on a day off one day per week. I don't think I'm alone when I say I don't spend enough time on stretching. This is such an important part of training. Sure I can do this alone but I always seem to rush through it not spending enough time in a stretch. You can throw some yoga and pilates moves in there too. Love everything Cathe does!!! I'm a fan forever.

I totally agree. I would like a stretch video that really gets in the muscles deep with long holds you breathe through. I prefer not to have Yoga moves - they just don't get in deep enough for me. I also would like upward/opening moves. It seems all day I am scrunched forward or leaning over. I prefer opening moves (arms stretched behind me for chest, pigeon pose for hips) or backbend moves and upward moves (opposite of downward dog!).

Also, moves that get the overlooked muscles - neck, forearms, spine. I love Lastics and Mark Lauren's Rx Mobility - something like those.

Ideally it would be about an hour long broken into 20 minute sections for days I need a shorter stretch.

Lastics is GREAT! I actually reviewed it on Amazon and had one complaint. Donna (the creator) of the DVD responded to me and we then began emailing. She was kind enough to make me a personal video of the stretches I was having difficulties with and sent it back via email. It was very detailed like in her home or something. She went through all of the questions I had as she showed me proper form herself, answering all of the questions I had etc...I thought the time she spent doing that for me was priceless! She is a very personable, professional and obviously wants to see people succeed. I highly recommend the DVD.

Just wanted to share that I bought the Lastics DVD based on this thread. It is really great. I've only had it for 2 days, so I've done 2 of the 20 minute (17 and 19 min) segments. It's challenging, but what I love about is how much thought you put into each stretch and each component of that stretch. It's mentally exhausting, but I am able to truly focus on my muscles extending. I've already dug deeper into stretches than I ever have before. And I'm not sore. It's hard, but the reward is immediate. At 55 years young, I need to start seriously incorporating more stretching into my routine. Donna's instructions are very clear and she's gentle with you, but firm in how each stretch should be executed. I felt immediately comfortable doing this DVD. There is no big learning curve. I'm sure following Cathe's cues, tips, and pointers for the past 15 years helped.
I want to give Lastics a "two thumbs up."

Last edited:
Thanks to another thread in the Forum (Elsie's post I think) I ordered Lastics a few months ago. It is excellent. :) It is changes the very way you think about stretching. Instructor Donna explains everything - very informative.

I too agree that it would be great for Cathe to do another stretch program - one where the stretches are held for several seconds -enough time for the muscle to truly length and relax. And I also agree that opening moves and getting into every muscle group in one workout would be great (neck, spine, forearms....). I would love to see a program with various time options - 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 minute premixes.

Personally I would like to see Cathe add a few more minutes onto her end-of-workout stretches as I need a good stretch on a daily basis, especially after a tough workout. She typically does about 4 minutes. I find about 8 minutes is a good time frame for me when it is one component of a cardio and/or resistance workout.

I have already posted in this thread, but just to let everyone know, Donna also has the DVD "Advanced Lastics". I recommend it if you like Lastics. The DVD is chaptered a bit more compartmentalized (hips, chest, neck, hamstrings, etc.) if you don't want to do the entire video (I believe 1 hr 17 min minutest total). The video has Donna, Alyssa and a modifier, Patty. She does focus on preparing you to do the splits...which is where the modifier comes in for me. I haven't done the splits since I was a teenager and I don't see it happening anytime soon! I do Lastics at least once per week and throw in Advanced Lastics every now and then. I just did it last night and my neck and back were popping and cracking throughout the workout (ahhhh, very relaxing for me).

I will say that when I did the video for the first time I did not like it - I thought it was hard to follow and too hard for me to do or get any benefit from it. However, by the 2nd/3rd time I did it, I realized it was harder to follow since I kept having to look up at the TV and contort or get out of an ideal position (not the workout's fault...you just need to watch it a few times, listen to the words, and then be able to do it next time by voice only.) I also had to realize that I was just not as flexible as Donna and Alyssa, wasn't going to be, and that was OK. I just followed the modifier and then realized I was still getting quite a benefit from the stretch. I can be impatient. My perception is Donna does give slightly less guidance/direction in the advanced DVD, but probably assumes you have done her first DVD and don't need as much (for example, bending isn't stretching, pull up to push down, bend at the hips, back straight.)

Does anyone know if she will have another video? This is the kind of stretching that works for me. (Again, I also highly recommend Mark Laurens MobilityRx, even though there are less overall stretch moves). I am always on the lookout for stretch videos that focus on upward/opening movements, tiny overlooked areas and that hold the moves for several seconds.

I agree to! I would love it if we had one that focuses on each area that may cause problems. Like I have headaches so bad that I would love a DVD that had a segment to focus on stretching and holding some for at least a hole minute focusing on neck, shoulders and back. To help ease tension.
And the move on to the back upper and lower then hips and butt because I also have tight hip joint sockets!
And sciatica nerve stretches! The as u go down make sure to do really nice stretches even focused on the feet and calve for PF lol yeah I am falling apart. But would love to have a relaxing stretch for recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.