Drop weights or repeat?

I have completed STS 3x now, but took a break for the past year to do other programs (Strong - from the guys who did New Rules of Lifting for Women, and Jamie Eason’s lifting program). So I wasn’t slouching by any means, but I started day 1 of STS this morning and holy crap I can’t hit any of my recommended weights! And from my previous notes, I was getting all my reps last time I did the program. So my question is - should I keep repeating week 1 with the recommended 1RM weights until I can complete all the reps (ie, be back in my old form), or should I continue on with the program and just do lighter weights until I can complete all the reps, increasing the weights as needed? I don’t have time constraints, so repeating weeks isn’t a big deal. I just want to make sure I’m making progress!

Mes 1 always seems a little distorted to me due to the length of the set..sometimes 20 reps plus with all the half reps etc. I always felt mes 1 was more endurance oriented to get you ready for the large volume of heavy sets that follow, and may not be indicative of your true strength levels. I always just did the best I could and " held on" until mes 2 arrived! It does show how good STS is for developing strength...hard to beat!

I would suggest lightening the weights enough to allow you to complete all the reps but still be challenging. Meso 1 is all about endurance so it's important to get in all the reps. I just started STS myself and am doing the long version of the rotation where you do each week twice before moving on. Good luck.

I have completed STS 3x now, but took a break for the past year to do other programs (Strong - from the guys who did New Rules of Lifting for Women, and Jamie Eason’s lifting program). So I wasn’t slouching by any means, but I started day 1 of STS this morning and holy crap I can’t hit any of my recommended weights! And from my previous notes, I was getting all my reps last time I did the program. So my question is - should I keep repeating week 1 with the recommended 1RM weights until I can complete all the reps (ie, be back in my old form), or should I continue on with the program and just do lighter weights until I can complete all the reps, increasing the weights as needed? I don’t have time constraints, so repeating weeks isn’t a big deal. I just want to make sure I’m making progress!
I have done this before. It is a pain in the butt to me to go through the sessions guessing the weights. I feel it is best to redo your 1rep max. This way you are doing the proper weights for your current abilities. It also refreshes you on all the moves and gets you motivated!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.