Do the gains ever stop?

I'm a few weeks away from finishing round 3 of STS (6 month, then I start backwards for my pyramid). When I started my lifting journey 8 years ago, 3-5 lbs were my go to. I had a set of 15 lb dumbbells I was too intimidated to use and would move from place to place with both hands - one dumbbell, that is.

I haven't redone my ORM in a while, just kept upping my numbers each cycle until I hit failure on the last sets. I'm kind of concerned by where I'm at right now - happy that this program is definitely working, but does the gain increase ever end? Is there a max weight that a person can lift? I'm up to 65 lbs on one arm rows, 30 on bicep curls....that's more than my husband can lift. I do it because I enjoy it, but will there ever come a time I will max out?

I'm a few weeks away from finishing round 3 of STS (6 month, then I start backwards for my pyramid). When I started my lifting journey 8 years ago, 3-5 lbs were my go to. I had a set of 15 lb dumbbells I was too intimidated to use and would move from place to place with both hands - one dumbbell, that is.

I haven't redone my ORM in a while, just kept upping my numbers each cycle until I hit failure on the last sets. I'm kind of concerned by where I'm at right now - happy that this program is definitely working, but does the gain increase ever end? Is there a max weight that a person can lift? I'm up to 65 lbs on one arm rows, 30 on bicep curls....that's more than my husband can lift. I do it because I enjoy it, but will there ever come a time I will max out?
I am facinated with your success with STS. Those gains are incredible! I too had tremendous increases in stre,gth with the program, but your " blow mine away'! I just did 1 3 no rotation, but your story has me reconsidering , and maybe doing several. Are you happy with your esthetics? Have you gained weight with the strength gains you have made? One can always cap increases in strength by altering the program, but why would you...being strong is an indicator of health and longevity. You mentioned that your husband would struggle to keep up, is that a problem for him?? ( I would be motivated by you to lift and try to keep up) but you sound remorseful I find your story truly motivating, I read it to my wife, and judging by her smile, I don't think she thought I would do well with her outlifting me!! Once again, Congrats on your sucess!!!

This has got me thinking...... (Oh no!)

Current thinking is that undulating periodisation is more effective than linear periodisation. Varing reps and sets DURING a WEEK is supposedly very good for building muscle, say doing low rep squats, high rep bench and medium rep deads in one week, then shuffling it all around the next week. STS would work really well for this. You could do the first week with a meso#1 for chest a meso # 2 for legs and a meso #3 for back, then the following week a meso# 2 for chest etc. (I can't quite remember how the workouts are divided by body part, but you get the idea).

Mmmm ...may now have yet another plan to add to my list.

Keep lifting wookiemouse!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.