Colposcopy 3 years after hysterectomy for cancer

OK here is my story, when I was younger about 19 (I am now almost 36) I had an abnormal pap. I had to have biopsy, and then cryo. Cells were negative for cancer. I was told back then I had a strain of hpv. From that point on I have gone for regular paps every six months or so. I have had abnormal paps twice within the last 2yrs, my doc has always done a follow up pap 6mos later, and it has always been negative. I have also been retested for hpv each time also negative.

Did they test for hpv and that came back positive? Can they do another pap to retest? My doc has said there a lot of reasons for abnormal paps, and many clear up on thier own.

I also just wanted to share, just to let you know your not alone. I will keep you in my thoughts.

Jenn:)

If her pap was LSIL, it is not routine to test for HPV since 83% of LSIL paps are caused by HPV (http://www.cancer.gov/prevention/alts/pap_lsil.html). This limits the usefulness of the HPV test for management. The consensus guidelines recommend colposcopy for LSIL granted not all physicians will follow these guideline, but I'd ask why a physician wasn't following them if that were the case. BTW, you can request HPV testing regardless of pap results.

Jenn, I hope get cleared of the frequent paps soon.

Autumn

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.