clean eating versus body building diet

marnski

I am determined to get myself back on track this year. I have been reading a lot on nutrition and bought many different guides but I wanted to get some input from other people's success. Do you find better results with a clean, green method (lots of fruits, veggies, grains but less animal products) or a conventional body builder diet (high in protein and veggies, like dairy or grains)?

For me, it's a balance between the two. I avoid processed foods, sugar, artificial sweeteners, etc. But since my main fitness goal is to build muscle, I have to work on getting my protein in. I try to watch my carbs, especially as the day goes on, but I aim to get my carbs from whole grains & fruits. And yes, I try to get in the greens as much as I can. For me, logging my food so I can see where I am and where I need to go, helps me tremendously.

HTH :)

Tracy

I am determined to get myself back on track this year. I have been reading a lot on nutrition and bought many different guides but I wanted to get some input from other people's success. Do you find better results with a clean, green method (lots of fruits, veggies, grains but less animal products) or a conventional body builder diet (high in protein and veggies, like dairy or grains)?

A bodybuilding diet works best for me in terms of weight loss or maintenance, heavy on the protein and good fats. I've never been able to stand lower-protein diets, no matter how "clean". Keeping carbs to a minimum does help me stay leaner, although it is challenging to make that a long-term lifetime choice (especially when working out intensely). I do believe we need the energy, vitamins, minerals and so on from vegetables, fruits and whole grains. I know quite a few people heavily into bodybuilding or fitness do go without fruit, bread and/or dairy, but I find my energy drops too low by cutting out food groups like that.

In any event, I don't think muscle can be rebuilt without protein being sufficient. Whether these need to come from animals or not, I'm sure that depends on the individual both in preference and absorption. Non-animal protein may not be absorbed as well, but genes and stomach enzymes can affect how well we metabolize foods. I'm not a scientist, I hasten to add, but this is my very basic understanding of it. Personally, I prefer animal-based protein. However, that is what works well with my genes, gastrointestinal system, and workout program.

muscle needs calories, first and foremost. To put on muscle, you need to eat a surplus. That surplus should come from carbs, preferably, and assuming you're already eating sufficient protein (0.8-1g/lb bodyweight or lean bodyweight)

Somehow the title of this thread confuses me.
Clean diet versus bodybuilding diet.

Did you mean bodybuilding diet is not clean :-/?:oops::rolleyes:o_Oo_O

Somehow the title of this thread confuses me.
Clean diet versus bodybuilding diet.

Did you mean bodybuilding diet is not clean :-/?:oops::rolleyes:o_Oo_O

I absolutely did not mean that a bodybuilding diet is not clean. I had noticed that diets that are more "body building" focus on higher protein and usually doesn't have the same range of fruits and vegetables as a "clean eating" diet would. I was just curious as to what everyone else focused on.

I absolutely did not mean that a bodybuilding diet is not clean. I had noticed that diets that are more "body building" focus on higher protein and usually doesn't have the same range of fruits and vegetables as a "clean eating" diet would. I was just curious as to what everyone else focused on.

Still not sure what range of fruit and vegetables you are referring to.
Here is an article on vegetables consumption for a successful fat loss program.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/aaron1.htm

Please note I am not here to promote bodybuilding in any way!:)

Last edited:
Now to reply to your question... As it has been mentioned above I too do ensure to eat protein, carbs and healthy fats.
My healthy fats are mainly nuts . I do eat avocado too. I also ensure I eat enough lean unprocessed protein from poultry, fish
and meat. I do not exclude anything a part from Peanut cause I am allergic to it.

I do not need to exclude anything containing gluten just to board the current obsession wagon!
I follow Low gi food selection for starchy carbs. Basically they are whole carbs.
Everything have to be at their natural state. no veggie processed burger for me!

Last edited:
Now to reply to your question... As it has been mentioned above I too do ensure to eat protein, carbs and healthy fats.
My healthy fats are mainly nuts . I do eat avocado too. I also ensure I eat enough lean unprocessed protein from poultry, fish
and meat. I do not exclude anything a part from Peanut cause I am allergic to it.

I do not need to exclude anything containing gluten just to board the current obsession wagon!
I follow Low gi food selection for starchy carbs. Basically they are whole carbs.
Everything have to be at their natural state. no veggie processed burger for me!

simply, only required things are eaten and unwanted are never...is you saying ..thanking

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.