Clean eating and jellies, jams, etc.

Fit_mommy

Cathlete
So what is the cleanest choice as far as jelly, jam, fruit spreads, etc. go? Aside from the choice between jelly, jam and fruit spread there is also sugar free and who knows what else!

I am eating a raspberry fruit spread on toast right now that I picked up at the store. It's ingredients are grape juice concentrate, raspberries and citrus pectin.

Any thoughts?

I'd definitely stay with the fruit spreads, and then avoid any that contain any sort of sweetener other than the fruit. I guess fruit juice concentrate might be okay... But no cane sugar, aspartame, etc.

You know the famous example: Apple is the cleanest, apple sauce a bit lower, apple pie is not clean.

Why not make your own "jam/jelly?" This is what I do:

take a half cup of fruit (berries are a great example) and heat them in a microwave with a tablespoon of water for 90 seconds to 2 minutes. Take it out and mash them up until they are small in size (or stick it in a blender). Add in a packet of stevia (or splenda) and mix. I also drizzle in some flaxseed oil and use this mixture on top of my pancakes, french toast, or toast.

The one you chose is probably the cleanest type. Except for the fact that a juice (with fiber and other nutrients missing) is the first ingredient. Juices are very concentrated foods. Whole berries have more nutrients and less calorie density.

I'm not sure if it's possible, but the best type of fruit spread (if you don't make one yourself) would contain whole fruit as the first ingredient. Or better yet, just get some frozen berries, let them thaw and mash them up with some low glycemic sweetener (stevia, agave nectar, etc.) (ETA: I see Lorrayne already suggested this...great minds must think alike.;-) )

I use a light jelly. Less carbs than the fruit spreads. I only use a little when I use it. Or I use fresh fruit and heat it a bit in the microwave.

Colleen

One my favorite things to eat is to spread peanut butter on toast and put some cut up banana on top. I also just cut up fresh strawberries or pop on blueberries or raspberries. It is so yummy.

Joanne

WOW-you all have great ideas that I can't believe I didn't think of!

Thanks gals! I knew I could count you!:+

Hi Kathryn,

Figures we'd come up with the same suggestion. I see several of your posts and your food choices are similar to my own! :)
Lorrayne

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.