Chin-Up Check-In Tue, 8.8

Soosan

Cathlete
Hey Chinnies! I just did Supersets (still sticking with Total Bodies, and SS is a good one to start with after a break from lifting). I also tried some assisted chins using my high step but am not sure how to do them correctly. I watched the German girl on P90X Chest & Back but her bar is so much higher than mine. My bar is only about 3 inches higher than the top of my head; I have to bend my legs deeply in order to get to a "dead hang" position. Any tips on how to do the chair (or, probably better, high step) assists with my lower bar?

Soooosan,

My bar sounds exactly the same height as your bar. When I use the chair, I put it out in front of me (far enough out so my legs will be straight), grab my bar, put my legs on and then pull up. I saw a picture somewhere where they were doing them like that.

Joanne

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooosan,

I don't do the chair assists much anymore. I like doing negs and I like doing negs part way down and pulling back up. Also, going to a dead hang and trying to pull up (which I can just a little bit now where before not at all). But, I still have a long way to go.

Joanne

I think Joanne has a great idea (legs out on the chair), Soosan. I'm so short I can barely reach my bar, I have to stand on my step to reach the wide fronts as the bar has hand grips that go a few inches higher than the rest of the bar. I looked back at the road trip pictures and am remembering that you are VERY tall. How is the assisted machine at the Y? Do you have to reach up for this or is the bar lower as well? Just curious. Joanne...I think what you are doing is great as far as lowering and going back up etc. I used to hit that "sticky/tough" point and just hang there and lift and lower no more than an inch in either direction just to "work" this area.

Catherine....I've been wondering how you are doing? Did ya get through that "off" period. I've had so many off periods this summer that I'm just calling it an off summer altogether. I'm trying hard to stick to this rotation. Tonight when I was doing S&H legs (in place of plyox) I got really dizzy when I came to the lunges. I know it's late, but I've never had this happen before. I'm going to try to continue tomorrow and I have Shoulder's and arms to do as well. Your doing so well with the rotation - and HAWAII is coming right?

I miss Melody! (I think I'd like to go find her - a beach sounds heavenly right now)

Briee

A couple more questions, Joanne and Briee: When you say to keep your legs straight using a chair, are you using the back or the seat of the chair and does it matter at what angle your legs are (i.e., 90 or 45 degrees or whatever relative to your butt)?

Briee, the assisted chin-up machine at the Y is the kind where you kneel on a pad, grab onto the bar overhead and lower and raise the pad. It's a dip machine too. It's too much trouble for me to go to the Y just to do chins because I usually work at home unless I'm going to a meeting and then I'm dressed up. I'm trying to figure out a way to progress at home with injuring myself. (BTW, I'm 5'9". I look VERY tall in the RT pictures, because Cathe's crew is so tiny.)

Catherine, did you get a workout in yesterday? If I did as many pull-ups and push-ups as you, I'd be taking a rest day every other day. Those are EXHAUSTING.

Hey ladies!! I still feel I'm in a little slump. Didn't workout on Monday. But did chest shoulders & arms yesterday. If I remember correctly this was the time last P90X rotation that I started to lose that inital motivation~ about 5-6 weeks into it. No worries, I'll be back. Oh and yeah, Briee Hawaii does keep me motivated. My back is still a little tweakie. Supposed to do plyox tonight, not sure,...

I think Joanne has a good idea. I also like the idea of the partial reps that she's doing. I totally see where that can help you progress!! Soooooooooooosan, just be careful doing those inverted rows (with your feet on the chair). Don't wanna hear of you landing on your back!!

Have a great day all!!

Catherine

http://bestsmileys.com/exercising/1.gif

Soooooosan-I used the seat of the chair. I'm not sure if the angle matters.

I want to go to Hawaii and meet Melody on the beach too.

Cardio day today (I love when it is cardio day). Not sure yet what I feel like doing.

Joanne

Joanne...here's a vote for HE #3.....I'm sure you wanted my vote right?:p :p :p

Catherine, I've had such a lack of motivation this summer, don't know what the deal is. These last 3 weeks have been the best all summer, but I could tell that today I was struggling to get through shoulders and arms and ESPECIALLY to get through the ABX. Are you subbing any of Cathe's core workouts for this at all? I'm thinking of subbing a coremax workout once in a while.

Soosan...I think it depends where you feel comfortable as to whether you use the chair back or seat. Since you are taller, you may have to use the seat. I do better with the back of the chair. I once did pull ups where I put my feet on the stability ball and rolled out and then pulled up as it came in. These were kind of fun and just something different...gave me a little assistance. The straighter your legs and further away your chair, the tougher they will be. DON'T GET HURT. How about a purple (heavier) band under your knees and then doing chins (little assistance) Thanks for the description of the assisted pull machine...I've never seen one.

I still miss Melody.

Briee

I miss Melody, too. Hey, I wonder if she's doing chin-ups on the beach from the top rung of a lifeguard's chair:7

Hey Michelle...I love it when you pop in!! I think she's chasing 3 ds's around the beach and that might be pretty strenuous!! Let's hope she is relaxing a little.'

Catherine...LOL regarding skipping ab work. Remember that bloated stomach I was referring to a while back. I'm getting my flatter tummy back now. I was eating WAY too many carbs and the Ab ripper is helping to be sure. Can't believe what a difference diet can make - BIG DIFFERENCE! I still hate froggie's (okay more admissions....I skipped the last 3 minutes of AbskipperX...but then again that's what it's for right!!).

Briee (it's YOGA day tomorrow...yoga skipper X....just kidding.)

Ya know what I hate- those Phifer scissors x( I also don't like those reverse bicycles. My feet and legs just don't work that way LOL!!

Briee, I hear ya abut too many carbs. I honestly think that's part of my slump right now. Carbs make me tired!!

LMAO yoga skipper x!!!

For now just call me skipper!!

Catherine

http://bestsmileys.com/exercising/1.gif

I didn't do HE (but that was a good suggestion - haven't done that one in a long time) but I did run 4 miles with DD.

Hi Michelle!

Good Night Chinsters!

Joanne

LOVE YOUR PICTURE HB!! Too cute (weird what we think is cute huh?).

You are soooooooooooooooo funny Soosan. :7 :7 :7 :7 .

Briee

I don't mind the pfifer scissors so much....but agree with the reverse bicycles and my contempt flows right into crunchy frogs.

HOW CAN SOMETHING WITH A NAME AS CUTE AS CRUNCHY FROG BE SO EVIL!! Maybe it's because it comes right after those reverse bikes. And then why stop there....we have wide leg sit ups (unless of course you cross your legs - you DON'T cross your legs do you?), next comes heels to the heavens (quite a deceptively godly description for such a painful act), and those v roll ups, AND THEN THOSE OBLIQUE THINGIES (I'm clearly on a roll now - whimp that I am), and to top it off MASON TWISTS (is it just me or do you find yourself hating all people by the name of Mason).

I'll stop now Catherine...we clearly don't need to discuss this ever again or I may chuck (isn't THAT a beautiful picture - very descriptive).

Keep chanting...I love ABX, I love ABX, I love ABX. I hate Melody. (oops I didn't let that slip in...it only happens when I think of the ABX and Melody's abs).

Briee

I still miss you Melody.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.