Cathe, could you make me a treadmill workout?

FiddleFit

Cathlete
Hi Cathe!

I just got a treadmill and want to do your Feb '05 rotation that has a fair amount of running. Could you please give me an idea of what you have in mind when you state "30 minute interval run"?

I hope your injury heals really soon! I'm looking forward to the new workouts!

Cheers,
Sandra

Hey Sandra!!! How's the family doing? Nice to *see* you. I've missed your posts on the daily check-in!

Hi - I'm certainly not Cathe and would not try to answer what she means by a 30-min. interval run, but there is a program called
Cardio Coach that I've been using on my new treadmill. These are a combination of music and instruction from a trainer that you can download as MP3 files or order on CD. You use your HRM to get your heart rate into the various zones from 1-4. The coach guides you through the phases of the workout and tells you when to speed up or increase resistance, etc. They're really good! Julia

Sandra!!! Nice to see you are around, I e-mailed you a while back and have been a bit worried but sounds like your busy and exploring new ways to challenge yourself, good on ya~!!

I've been curious about the Cardio Coach as well, they sound versatile and intense.

Take Care
Laurie:)

Hi Sandra! An interval run means to run with a few intensity speed bursts followed by recovery strides verses a 30 minute run at the very same cadence the whole time.

A Sample Interval Run....

WARM UP:

Start your workout by warming up at a comfortable walking pace.

Say you walk at 3.4 for a warm up...

Warm Up at 3.4 for 5 minutes

NOW LEAVING THE WARM UP AND MOVING INTO PREP FOR STEADY STATE RUN:

Brisk walk at 3.8 for 2 minutes

Light jog at 4.2 for 3 minutes

NOW READY FOR STEADY STATE RUN:

Increase your pace to what you consider a normal steady cadence run. This would be a run that you feel you could continue doing without having to slow down until the end of your workout (this speed will vary for everyone).

Run at steady state for 5 minutes

NOW READY FOR INTERVAL PHASE:

Increase your speed to a fast running pace that makes you run with a very strong effort (but one that you can safely handle). Run at this pace for one minute to 90 seconds. You should be slightly out of your comfort zone here.

Then slow down to a pace that allows you to recover for 2 minutes but not cool down (Note: if you recover before the 2 minute period than start your next interval sooner).

Do 3 intervals (or 4 if you have a few extra minutes to spare) at a 90 second speed run to 2 minute recovery.

COOL DOWN PHASE BEGINS:

On your last recovery walk, continue to walk right into your cooldown for an 3 additional minutes. Slow down a bit more to about 3.0 and walk for 2 more minutes.

YOU'RE DONE....stop treadmill and stretch legs thoroughly, don't forget the calves.

Hope that helps!

>>On your last recovery walk, continue to walk right into your
>cooldown for an 3 additional minutes. Slow down a bit more to
>about 3.0 and walk for 2 more minutes.
>
Should the recovery always be a walk, or can it be at a jogging pace??

Hi Twosquared! If you are more conditioned you may find that keeping a light jog gives you enough recovery before your next full effort speed burst. But if your speed burst is "suffering" because you are not recovered enough, then walk instead of light jog.

Hi Sandra and All! I forgot to add that if you prefer a low impact treadmill interval workout, you can substitute the speed bursts with incline hill climbs. In this case you would have to slow your cadence down and increase your grade to climb a HIGH hill during the intensity burst, then level off your hill and walk normally to recover. Think its easy? Not}(

Enjoy!

I second cardio coach, I love his workouts. I have 1-5 and can't wait for 6

Deb

I run at 6 in steady state for 30 to 45 minutes, not including warm up and cool down. Just before the cool down I do a sprint at 7.5 to 8 for between 2 to 6 minutes depending on my energy levels. I do not feel "safe" at speeds over 8. I have a HRM that I never use, but I feel in the cardio vascular zone through the steady state and am clearly anearobic during the sprint.

If I were to use the interval format, I suppose it would mean running at 8 during the "high" intervals and less than 6 in the "low" intervals.

If I switched to interval training, can someone tell me what the diference would be?

Would the intensity be higher? Would I burn more calories? Which format is beter for fat loss?

Thank you.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.