Bone Broth - Beef and Chicken

Jenniferlove

Cathlete
Hello, I thought I'd post this in case anyone is interested.
You can get bones from your butcher; obviously try to make sure the animals were fed organically and pastured.
Beef bone broth - good bones to use:
Meathy bones (neck and/or rib bones)*
Marrow bone
Knuckle bone
* = can roast for 30 min on 400 before making stock (adds a nice flavor).
Chicken bone broth - good bones to use (however I just used the bones from a cooked chicken):
Necks
Backs
Feet
Giblets (no liver – it adds a bitter flavor)

Directions:
Place bones in a large stock pot with enough purified water to cover the bones plus at least 2 inches of water; add some apple cider vinegar and some sea salt (tblspn or so) and soak for a half-hour to an hour to draw out minerals.
Add onion, celery, and carrots.
Boil, then cut heat to very gentle simmer; skim the impurities that float to the top. You don't have to but it makes a clearer broth and if they are impurities I would want them skimmed.

Gently simmer Chicken stock for 6 to 24 hours.
Gently simmer Beef stock for 12 to 72 hours.
It is important to simmer gently so the nutrients aren't destroyed.

(This is where I would transfer to a crock pot on Low setting; I have a gas stove and would rather use a crock pot for this part.)

Strain, and then store in the fridge (one container or multiple - depending on how much stock you will use in a week).
After it's cooled skim the fat (save for cooking with it later). Keep the gelatin that is under the fat.

Stock will keep for a week.
If planning to freeze any of the stock freeze it in wide mouth jars or ones that don't indent at the top. Leave an inch or two of space at the top of the jar because the stock expands when it freezes; it could crack the jar.

You are most welcome, Nancy!
When I made mine originally (in our check-in thread) I had jumped the gun and didn't realize some of what I listed in this thread... since I'm finishing my Nutritional Therapy class I've learned more and wanted to share :)

NOTE:
Generally it's 1lb to 1-1/2 lbs of bones per quart of purified water; that will help the collagen gel if using bone parts with collagen (listed above).

Have a great day!

Hello, I thought I'd post this in case anyone is interested.
You can get bones from your butcher; obviously try to make sure the animals were fed organically and pastured.
Beef bone broth - good bones to use:
Meathy bones (neck and/or rib bones)*
Marrow bone
Knuckle bone
* = can roast for 30 min on 400 before making stock (adds a nice flavor).
Chicken bone broth - good bones to use (however I just used the bones from a cooked chicken):
Necks
Backs
Feet
Giblets (no liver – it adds a bitter flavor)

Directions:
Place bones in a large stock pot with enough purified water to cover the bones plus at least 2 inches of water; add some apple cider vinegar and some sea salt (tblspn or so) and soak for a half-hour to an hour to draw out minerals.
Add onion, celery, and carrots.
Boil, then cut heat to very gentle simmer; skim the impurities that float to the top. You don't have to but it makes a clearer broth and if they are impurities I would want them skimmed.

Gently simmer Chicken stock for 6 to 24 hours.
Gently simmer Beef stock for 12 to 72 hours.
It is important to simmer gently so the nutrients aren't destroyed.

(This is where I would transfer to a crock pot on Low setting; I have a gas stove and would rather use a crock pot for this part.)

Strain, and then store in the fridge (one container or multiple - depending on how much stock you will use in a week).
After it's cooled skim the fat (save for cooking with it later). Keep the gelatin that is under the fat.

Stock will keep for a week.
If planning to freeze any of the stock freeze it in wide mouth jars or ones that don't indent at the top. Leave an inch or two of space at the top of the jar because the stock expands when it freezes; it could crack the jar.
desertambrosia, my dogs feel that way when I give them kefir grains :) I'll be sure to save some bone broth for them next time!

I got an email from the Nourishing Gurus about bone broth . I'm excited to try this! Thanks for the tips on freezing.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.