Bio-Identical Hormones - Anyone on them?

Sunsdaughter.. so u see a linnk to breast cancer and bio identical hormones as well? I mean my doc said if i dont plan on one then dont do the other either.y would he say that? I cant tell if he is just that way or snarky ...
Ellejae you sound like u know what i mean. ..! Hope u get it straighten out soon ....

This is a timely query. I’ve been viewing a lecture by Dr. Diana Scharzbein on this very topic. I recommend her menopause booklet and lecture, Menopause Power. You may find it here: Learn how to treat menopause safely with bioidentical hormones and here: Schwarzbein Principle - Home - Endocrinology - Controlled Carbohydrate Plan - Vitamin Supplements - Menopause Testing

I have not started on therapy, but what she recommends is bio-identical hormones delivered in a bio-equivalent manner. What does this mean? In a way which mimics how the body formerly produced and delivered the missing hormones. She recommends you restore only the missing hormones. The delivery method is not oral. She suggest you bypass the liver by using transdermal estradiol patches or using vaginal suppositories or gels. You cycle the hormones with daily use of estradiol and then 11-14 days only of progesterone.

You will need to work with your doctor, getting appropriate blood level and saliva tests, and using other diagnostic tools regularly, and also use a compounding pharmacy.

She cautions against using continuous combined therapy, and she also does not recommend using topical gels or creams as she states they can accumulate in the fatty tissues.

One final note – she contends that menopause is not a phase that comes to an end. But rather menopause is the permanent loss of the sex hormone system. Her goal isn’t to just treat the symptoms, but to balance all hormonal systems and prevent the other degenerative diseases of aging.

HTH
does she mean when u start progesterone you stop the estradiol for those days ???

I am new to forums . Don't really know where to post what . Are u supposed to stop the estradiol when u start the progesterone

I was on prempro for 8 years, and I am totally miserable now. My mammograms were always fine, and then my gyno would not give me a script. I think somebody sued her. I am no idiot, and I bought them on the Internet.
will get them any day now.

Does anyone know exact procedure to take biodentical hormones in a bioequivalent manner? Meaning do u stop estradiol when u start progesterone? Ughhhh

Hi Wicca,

It's so important to talk to a practitioner about hormone replacement. Everyone is different - that said - we also holds lots of things in common when it comes to menopause so you need to know what is right for you, dose etc... Don't play around with your hormones! It's such a delicate system. See if you can book an appt with a women's health doctor or a naturopath well recommended. Good luck.

Hi Wicca,

It's so important to talk to a practitioner about hormone replacement. Everyone is different - that said - we also holds lots of things in common when it comes to menopause so you need to know what is right for you, dose etc... Don't play around with your hormones! It's such a delicate system. See if you can book an appt with a women's health doctor or a naturopath well recommended. Good luck.
Hi there .
I have been listening to audio etc of and ENDO Diana Scharzbein She is online . She talks about taking bioidentical in a bio equivalent manner . On the beginning of this thread a post stated it ment taking estradiol first 14 and then progesterone .
But no one is clear as to do u stop the extridiol when u are doing the progesterone . Very confusing and it's like pulling teeth to get that answer.many doctors are screwing up,so I want to go in informed as to what is actually right . She is 25 years into this but let's face it she is not taking patients and she is probably far away lol. So have u heard anything

Try again lol. Has any one know what this doctor means by saying give natural hormones in a bioequivalent manner ????
I have been listening to audio etc of and ENDO Diana Scharzbein She is online . She talks about taking bioidentical in a bio equivalent manner . On the beginning of this thread a post stated it ment taking estradiol first14 and then progesterone .
But no one is clear as to do u stop the extridiol when u are doing the progesterone . Very confusing and it's like pulling teeth to get that answer.many doctors are screwing up,so I want to go in informed as to what is actually right . She is 25 years into this but let's face it she is not taking patients and she is probably far away lol. So have u heard anything

Last edited:
Try again lol. Has any one know what this doctor means by saying give natural hormones in a bioequivalent manner ????
I have been listening to audio etc of and ENDO Diana Scharzbein She is online . She talks about taking bioidentical in a bio equivalent manner . On the beginning of this thread a post stated it ment taking estradiol first14 and then progesterone .

I have been taking BIH for just about a year. You find a doc who specializes in them. She takes a blood test first. The saliva test for me came later, after I'd been taking the BIH for a bit.
My ob/gyn prescribes the FDA-approved pharmaceutically-made ones that I don't want. BIH is made from Wild Mexican Yam grown in the US, compounded by a compounding pharmacy into estrogen, progesterone. Read all about hormones for yourself first. The books I fortuitously came across are from authors Pamela Wartian Smith, Steven Hotze, Suzanne Somers (Breakthroughs or Sexy Years). I bought these used and have them around as I find them invaluable.
For me, I felt my brain was less than optimal (brain fog) after I started menopause. That disturbed me more than anything. I had other symptoms like warm flushes, vaginal dryness, skin shriveling. I think my core temp has gone up permanently.
Depending on whether you are pre- or post-menopausal, the application is different. I apply the same 6 days a week, every week. My sis is pre- and she does progesterone only for two weeks of the month, mimicking your cycle. Yes, unopposed estrogen (with no progesterone) is what causes breast cancer.
My BIH is a cream with all 3 hormones (incl testosterone) and it is $45 a month; no insurance coverage.

I received my premarin and no more hot flashes. I found out that I also needed some progestin or whateven it is,so I ordered that.

I received my premarin and no more hot flashes. I found out that I also needed some progestin or whateven it is,so I ordered that.
Premarin with the progestin also helped me with my hot flashes tremendously, but when I came off of it they were worse then when I had them in the first place. I had to go back to my HRT doctor and he put me back on a low dose that helped a lot. I am a bit worried about long term health effects though.

Yes, I have been on bioidentical hormones for about 6-7 years now. I am 43 and went into early menopause due to a hysterectomy I had to have. I know I am miserable without the hormones, and my levels were rock bottom.

I take a little compounded pill of test/est/prog once a day, and I think it's a pretty low dosage ... I started at a minimum level and they increase the testosterone a little the first month and I've been at the same ever since.

Every time I see a doctor I ask about the risks, just because .... my ob/gyn's opinion is that there is a risk but you have to weigh out quality of life. He says that if this greatly changes my quality of life (and it does!) then it's okay for me to stay on it. The biggest risk is breast cancer, yes? I have mammograms yearly.

I changed to a new internist this year and had a full physical. I asked him the same question. He said studies have found very little risk under age 50, so I plan on staying on the hormones until then at least! After that, we'll see. If I go off of them and go back to the fatigue and depression, well, that is not a good way for me to live, even with regular exercise and healthy eating!!!

If your are post menopause, I believe the risk is reduced. I believe the study found that due to the irregularity of hormones during peri and menopause, supplementing with HRT sometimes caused to high of levels of hormones at times due to your bodies hormones being erratic through this time.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.