Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today. Already a member? Simply log in above.

1. Ripped with HiiT Presale

Best cold remedies

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by rebecca_esq, Feb 6, 2013.

1. rebecca_esq Member

Help! I woke-up with a head full of congestion and a low fever. I have gone through two boxes of tissues and my eyes water so much that my lids are swollen over. What are your best remedies for a killer cold or flu? I had to work today, but left early because I was too miserable to function. I have tried a hot shower, hot tea, extra vitamin C, and some chicken soup so far. Any other recommendations?

2. tralaiven Cathlete

We are just getting over something similar to what you have (it sounds like). We used Mucinex and it helped alleviate some of the sinus pain associated with the mucus (sorry-yuck) build up. We also just used plain ibuprofen. Other than that, we just had to ride out the storm. Hope you feel better soon.

3. rebecca_esq Member

Thanks! I will see if my husband can pick some up for me. I get colds every year, but this one takes the cake!!

4. soozies Member

Mucinex-D is what works best for me for daytime. I also go with a generic NyQuil before bed, so I can get some sleep. Do not operate heavy machinery on that stuff.

If I have just a cold with congestion, I comfort myself with a extra spicy curry chicken noodle soup from a downtown noodle house. If it makes my nose run, it's working!

Don't forget to plenty of water, and this might be the hardest: it's okay to take a couple of days off from working out. You need more rest than you think you do. This is a good time to get caught up on Downton Abbey or The Walking Dead, Lifetime television, or whatever shows you've been too busy to watch :)

Feel better soon!

5. tralaiven Cathlete

Also, I did not mention that with this respiratory flu I had to take off 9 days from working out!

My symptoms were:

fever, chills, achy-ness, fatigue, wet cough. My fever persisted for 3-4 days, but it still took some time for me to recover my strength.

Best wishes.

6. sherryc Cathlete

I have found a nasal saline rinse will help clear up some congestion and feel better soon
    Sherry

7. RapidBreath Cathlete

You need zinc lozenges. You can buy them at the drugstore or health food store. I hope that you feel better soon.

8. GraceNote Cathlete

I just fought off a sinus cold with immune tea, green juice 'smoothies', Zicam, neti pot, and humidifier - really, I had just started feeling yucky and started with all of the above. It seemed to help, as it did not develop beyond a few days of sniffles and a tiny bit of a scratchy throat.

On the other hand, the next week I got hit with the flu <insert rueful chuckle here> I think my immune system was down from all the other germ-fighting. I honestly haven't had a fever in 6 years, but this got me. It wasn't terrible, but left me with a sinus infection.

So, I started more tea, neti pot, humidifier and zicam again. For comfort, I think the humidifier is the best, with the neti treatment a close second. Mucinex is really great if you have anything that you're coughing up - it's not a cough suppressant, though, so if your cough is keeping you awake, try something else. Sleep, fluids and healthy eating will do a lot of good, too.

Hope you feel better soon, no matter what you take or do!!! Being sick is just no fun at all!!!

9. BAM Cathlete