AWESOME! LOW CARB FLAX BREAD! ONLY 5 INGREDIENTS!

JodelleFitzh20

Cathlete
So I found a recipe for low carb flax bread and tweaked it a bit and when sliced up only has one carb; and it is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've never made bread before in my life! And no bread machine is needed. Just a baking pan and 20mins!

You have to try it!! If you like Ezekiel bread, you'll LOVE THIS! No sugar, no flour - only 5 ingredients!

LOW CARB FLAX BREAD

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients:

* 2 cups flax seed meal
* 1 Tablespoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1-2 Tablespoons sweetening power from artificial sweetener (OPTIONAL IF YOU WANT A LITTL SWEETNESS, I LEFT IT OUT)
* 2 WHOLE EGGS/ 5 EGG WHITES beaten
* 1/2 cup water
* 1/3 cup oil (I used olive oil)

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare pan (a 10X15 pan with sides works best) with oiled parchment paper or a silicone mat.

1) Mix dry ingredients well -- a whisk works well.

2) Add wet to dry, and combine well. Make sure there aren't obvious strings of egg white hanging out in the batter.

3) Let batter set for 2 to 3 minutes to thicken up some (leave it too long and it gets past the point where it's easy to spread.)

4) Pour batter onto pan. Because it's going to tend to mound in the middle, you'll get a more even thickness if you spread it away from the center somewhat, in roughly a rectangle an inch or two from the sides of the pan (you can go all the way to the edge, but it will be thinner).

5) Bake for about 20 minutes, until it springs back when you touch the top and/or is visibly browning even more than flax already is.

6) Cool and cut into whatever size slices you want.

True, with the oil and flax, this is a high fat bread, but it's all good fats, HIGH IN OMEGA 3'S which actually help your body burn stored fat!! So enjoy!!! AND LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!

Yes!

One slice of the 12 servings has less than a gram of effective carbohydrate (.7 grams to be exact) plus 5 grams fiber, 6 grams protein, and 185 calories.

Jodelle, thanks for posting this! I made it the other day (I also left out the sweetener)... it was so quick and easy and tastes great. I've been eating it with unsalted almond butter and virgin coconut oil. Yummy! I'm always on the lookout for gluten free recipes and I'll make this one again!

Thanks again!

Denise I'm so glad you liked it!! I will never buy bread again as long as I can make this, it is just so yummy and satisfying! Have a great healthy day!

Jodelle,

I made this today and it is really good! Perfect for my diabetic husband who is trying to avoid artificial sweeteners (a BIG challenge!). I was wondering if there is a way to make it thinner, more like a flat bread?

Thanks for posting this!

Hey Jodelle,

I've just recently began perusing the nutrition and recipes forums and keep finding fantastic recipes and pearls of knowledge from you. Maybe you should consider writing a nutrition/cook book for us.....I'd buy it for sure:)

Keep 'em coming!!

cheers Rosemarie

Rosemarie, thanks for that sweet comment! I love love love nutrition and one of my favorite things to do is to take an unhealthy recipe and tweak it to make it healthy and doable for a healthy happy nutritional lifestyle. Good for you foods can also taste good! That being said, I am actually considering writing my first cookbook. It will be a long work in progress though. I have loads of healthy recipes, but before I write the book I want to make sure I tweak them all perfect for different lifestyles and preferences so that it's a cookbook that will work for everyone! In the meantime, if you need some more recipes, let me know! :)

Becca, I would say try to reduce the amount of baking powder or even omit it to make a flatter bread. I also make crispy crackers with this same recipe by omitting the egg and baking powder and just mixing it up with a little water and cooking until crispy. The best crackers ever and I am hooked on them!

. I also make crispy crackers with this same recipe by omitting the egg and baking powder and just mixing it up with a little water and cooking until crispy. The best crackers ever and I am hooked on them!

So for the crackers you just mix the flax meal and water? Do you add oil? Sorry to bother, but I'm confused.

And since I am bothering you....:eek: It sounds like you cook a lot of the things my husband and I are trying to eat...low carb, whole foods. Do you have any particular resources that you use: websites, books, etc? Or are you coming up with your recipes on your own? My sweet husband has been diabetic for 3 years and is FINALLY (Praise the Lord!) willing to change his diet. I feel like I am a fish out of water with all this low carb stuff. Add to that, his doctor recommended that we read Michael Pollan's "In Defense of Food" and now I am afraid to eat anything I didn't grow myself!:confused: I would appreciate any help you could give!

Thanks so much!

Becca, I'm actually working on a cookbook, but in the meantime if there is some unhealthy recipe you are looking to replicate in a healthy lower carb way, let me know! I may have a recipe on hand and I love a good challenge if I don't!
Yes, just flax and water will make crackers, but play with your seasonings in it. I made some cheezy tasting crackers by adding nutritional yeast, and some real cheese crackers, by adding parmesan, and some spicy crackers by adding red pepper flakes. You can be creative, but yes your base is basically just golden flax meal, almond meal and water, just enough to moisten it but not have it gooey. Then roll it onto a greased sheet of parchment paper and roll it out real thin with another piece of paper on top of it and a rolling pin. Roll it cracker thin and then take the top sheet of paper off and place in microwave for 10-12 minutes or until crispy. The micro quickly pulls out all the water, but another way is with a dehydrator (it just takes longer). Then you take them out and break them into cracker bites! Let me know how you like them! I just made a batch for my plane ride coming up!

Hey Jodelle,

I've looked around but I can't find flax seed meal here in the Netherlands (how I long for an American health food store!) so is there an alternative for flax meal?

Thanks Rosemarie

any ground nut or seed will work....maybe try ground pistachios? you can grind any nut or seed in a coffee grinder or food proccesor. For Omega 3's ground walnuts would be good. Let me know how it goes...

If you have a dehydrator, flax crackers are easy to make, and involve less heat than baking (which may preserve more of the omega fatty acids, which are easily damaged by heat).

Just soak some flax seeds in about double the amount of water (or grind 1/2 of the seeds and leave 1/2 whole: whole seeds make a very crisp cracker, while 1/2 ground make more like a regular cracker. Don't use all ground, as that makes a hard cracker).

After an hour, when a mucilagenous gel has formed, add whatever flavoring you like (salt, mexican spices, etc Season with a light hand, as dehydrating concentrates flavor, especially salt and garlic), stir, and spread the gooey seeds on a non-stick sheet in the dehydrator.

Dehydrate at less than 115 degrees until the top is dry (8-10 hours) then flip the crackers onto another tray without the non-stick sheet (put the second tray upside down on top of the crackers, grab the edges of both trays, and flip the whole thing over. Then gently peel the non-stick sheet off of the crackers). Score into crackers, and continue to dry until done (perhaps another 8-10 hours. It depends a lot on the humidity and how moist the 'dough' was to begin with).

You can experiment with the recipe by adding blended veggies to the mix, for example.

Hi Jodelle...

I just wanted to tell you that I made this bread yesterday and loved it. Thanks for posting it...

Jodelle, I just ran across this recipe a few days ago and made the bread today. I really enjoyed being able to have a low-carb sandwich for lunch, so thank you for posting this. Have you ever added sunflower seeds to it? I was thinking that might be a nice touch.

I totally have and it really gives it a great texture!! You can tweak this recipe so much....Add parmesan cheese and romano cheese or anyother hard cheese for a cheesier bread, or nutritional yeast if you are vegan or lactose intolerant. Add stevia and cinnamon and nutmeg for a really great graham cracker look alike! I've made banana nut breads with no flour using only the flax meal and the almond flour and it turns out great! Have fun tweaking!

Jodelle, thanks for posting this! I been wanting to make this bread ever since you posted it.I made it today and it's yummy! My husband liked it too:D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.