avoiding a "bulky" look on a petite frame

I've seen you post this a few times so I was intrigued enough to try one. Whoa. I bought the Bootcamp DVD and am completely impressed. It is a workout to say the least.

I loved it so more will be coming when the budget allows.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Glad you liked the workout! That bootcamp workout is no joke! Do checkout her monthly workouts on her website. I like them even better then her volumes 1-4. She also has year 2 available but they are not listed on her website. You have to email her to order. I have all of her year 1's and almost all of her year 2's. I'm amazed that these are always challenging and she still has new moves keeping them fresh and non-repetitive. These are all I've done for my upper body work for the past 6 months and I couldn't be happier with how strong, lean and defined not only my arms are but my whole body.

When you guys say "heavy" what exactly are you talking about? I'm also short (5' 3") and I know I need to change my workout regime since I'm in my 40s and I can tell that my old workout routine is no longer working.

I've always been afraid of bulking and I think I might be someone who needs to use heavier dumbbells (and also put the fork down!). Does heavy mean 10 lb dumbbells for squats, lunges, etc? Or something heavier? What do you define as "heavy" for arm work?

I'm 5'3" age 43 and weight 130lb I have really strong legs (classic pear) and strong back.

My squats, dead lifts and back rolls on something like Muscle Max are 50lb (a little more than Cathe) Its heavy lift but 3 sets of reps.

When I did Chalean Extreme where you only do 12 reps and only 1 set. I ended up squating 90 lbs. I could squat higher but I don't have a rack. My husband helped me with this weight to prevent injury. The thing with squats is getting the heavy bar up on your shoulders. The legs can do the work

I really want to buy a squat rack (my wish list)

I would guess that Cathe can lift pretty heavy at her gym. The video home market she has to show "safe" amount of weight but still get a good workout.

Oh and Cathe I believe is 5'2" and over 40. She is petite and muscular. I really haven't ever seen any female "bulk" up.

I will say that I'm petite but feel dang strong. I picked up my 145lb son and carried him in cradle arms and walked around.

I love being stong. I can promise you I don't look it. I'm terrible about my mocha coffee addiction. I would need to loose about 10lb for you to see my muscle definition. I just at my age don't feel the need to starve myself to count my 6 pack. (I do have them under a little pit of fat) LOL

Thank you, Cathe, for your response!! I will definitely give those suggestions a try. I've already purchased Hard Strikes, All Out Low Impact HiiT, Super Cuts and Ab Circuits and I'm really loving them. Can't wait to add the others to my collection!

Sincerely,
Tonya

Rewarding avoiding a bulky look on a petite frame

I am to petite 103-5 pounds, short torso, short legs. I've notice that ever since I turned 40, I'm 44 now soon to be 45 I don't feel as lean as I use to when I was in my mid 20's, 30's and even my early 40's. Although I don't want to loose weigh I would like to loose inches. If you ask the people who know me they would say I'm crazy but I know my body and can tell it looks fit but somewhat meater. I don't know if my workouts are not working for me any longer if its my diet. It must be our age! Even with Cathe I notice that in her older vidoes she looks leaner then she does now. No offense to Cathe she still looks great I'm just wondering if as we age it's harder to keep a leaner look. I also wonder what people like Kelly Ripa do in order to keep so lean? I remember looking that lean after I had my first baby in my mid 20's. I had to work my butt off, working out 3 times a day and hardly eating nothing. I be happy loosing a few inches off my waist, how do I achieve that? Thanks!

I know that at least one thing Kelly Ripa did or maybe still does is Physique57. I am older than you and had to add more of these types of workouts to my rotations to maintain a leaner appearance.

I am to petite 103-5 pounds, short torso, short legs. I've notice that ever since I turned 40, I'm 44 now soon to be 45 I don't feel as lean as I use to when I was in my mid 20's, 30's and even my early 40's. Although I don't want to loose weigh I would like to loose inches. If you ask the people who know me they would say I'm crazy but I know my body and can tell it looks fit but somewhat meater. I don't know if my workouts are not working for me any longer if its my diet. It must be our age! Even with Cathe I notice that in her older vidoes she looks leaner then she does now. No offense to Cathe she still looks great I'm just wondering if as we age it's harder to keep a leaner look. I also wonder what people like Kelly Ripa do in order to keep so lean? I remember looking that lean after I had my first baby in my mid 20's. I had to work my butt off, working out 3 times a day and hardly eating nothing. I be happy loosing a few inches off my waist, how do I achieve that? Thanks!

Cathe addressed this in the menopause thread.
http://cathe.com/forum/f95/menopause-workout-252611/index2.html

I agree with Cathe regarding food sensitivities as we age. My body was much more forgiving of certain carbs in my 20's & 30's. I have to make careful carb choices to stay lean. I can't eat processed food everyday and stay lean.
I would say Kelly Rippa's diet and genetics are the two main components of how she maintains a lean body.

As far as avoiding weight training and muscle gain...I would argue as we age and lose muscle, the loss of muscle slows our metabolism down.
Muscle is the fountain of youth.:) I went through a period when I was afraid of the dreaded bulk, until my husband said something to me that made perfect sense. He told me that I shouldn't worry about gaining muscle, I should be more concerned with losing it at my age. He is so right!

For me, Horizontal Conditioning has completely changed my body in ways weights never did. I'm completely addicted to them! I have more definition then when I did weights. Check them out Horizontal Conditioning

I just checked them out, and they look really really interesting! Where did you start with her workouts and how do you work them into your exercise routine, along with Cathe workouts?

Thanks so much for bringing this to my attention!

I just checked them out, and they look really really interesting! Where did you start with her workouts and how do you work them into your exercise routine, along with Cathe workouts?

Thanks so much for bringing this to my attention!

I started with volume 2,3,4 and bootcamp. I skipped the getting started workouts. I gave up all traditional upper body weight training and couldn't be happier with the results. My arms build easily (not my legs like most women). So I do an HC on Mondays and Fridays and do a cathe leg workout on Wednesdays. The other 3 days are cardio. Every once in a while I will sub in a total body strength workout for one of my HC days to mix it up. The club DVDs your get from her site are recordings of her live classes as her gym. The production value isn't near cathes but I like the feel of being in a live class and the workouts are just so challenging that I can look past that.

I've noticed this with Cathe too....she doesn't look as "cut" as she used to. Make no mistake, she looks awesome ("that girl is on fiiiiire!" A la Alicia keys), but her physique is different than it was, say, 5-10 yrs ago. Jai looks incredible though, and seems to look better now than ever! What's her secret????

I take it back. I was just viewing some clips for X-Train and Cathe looks AWESOME!!! Ths is why Cathe is so awesome, she has the ability to change the way her body looks for differnt DVD workouts.

Hi Tweinbach...

It sounds like your body has become way too used to your current workouts and adapted to the point of reduced results. So what you need to do is shake it up with something it is not used to to get the metabolism fired up.

Even though you feel your body bulks with heavy weights, it will still respond beautifully if you put it in there for one week say once every 2 to 3 weeks to shake things up. I think the XTRAIN Chest, Back, Shoulders and XTRAIN Bi's and Tri's will be PERFECT for you. I also think Burn Sets would be great to do once every three weeks as well. This way you are not doing heavy on a regular basis yet you are still spiking your metabolism by building LEAN muscle mass. Who knows, you might discover that your body isn't "bulking" afterall and want to stay on it for a while. The beauty of it is that if you feel you are getting fuller muscles than you want, you take a break for a week with lighter weight workouts to balance things out. The same goes for legs...alternate heavy and light routines and you will be amazed at the change.

Two things to be aware of so you don't panic:

1) Initially your body will be sore and hold water as it repairs damaged tissue (a normal response). In fact the sorer the muscle the more water you might hold. Just keep drinking extra water and know that this is water retention is temporary.

2) When the metabolism fires back up so will your appetite. Again, another normal response. But you do need to be aware of it so you have healthy snacks on hand to compliment your workouts. You don't want to burn extra calories only to replace it with binges of ravenous snacking.

Good Luck!

Hi Cathe,
I'm trying to figure out the best workouts for a petite frame (107 lbs). I'm 5' tall with a crazy short torso, short legs and no hips...a pretty much straight up and down figure...and I'd like to look as long as lean as possible. I've typically always stuck with Taebo workouts and exercises using 3 lb weights with fast high rep movements. Of course, I've been doing that type of workout for so long, the results aren't what they used to be. I just purchased the Hard Strikes DVD and really like, but I thought I might try the new upper body workouts, too. Which upper body workout in the Xtrain series (or any series of yours) would you recommend? And which leg exercises would help give that long and lean look? I am realistic and aware that my body can only change so much :) Hope what I'm asking makes sense!

Thank you, Cathe! That information is very helpful! I've definitely noticed that since I turned 40 (now 41) my metabolism has slowed down. As another post mentioned, losing weight isn't an issue and I'm pretty obsessive with my healthy eating habits. It's as if extra inches just showed up over night! :) I will certainly give those recommendations a try! Thanks again for responding!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.