Are there any other good step workouts not by Cathe

Well I love both Amy Bento and Seasun Zieger for non-Cathe step workouts. Agree that Amy is hard to get the moves down, but man once you do it is so much fun and she really works you.

If you liked Seasun, her latest one is Z-fit Super Step and I really like it. She has taken each 3-count and incorporated (optional) semi-intervals, such as burpees, jump step squats and over the step squats. Nice because on the days you want the extra challenge you can work these in. The music is really great and gets you into the workout.

Amy does have a preview section on each of her workouts for her "toughest" (ie, hardest choreography); I would suggest watching that before hand to really nail those sections. One of my favorites is hers is actually her first one(Advanced Step Challenge), which it sounds like you have not tried yet. You might give it a whirl - great sweatfest in a shorter amount of time.

Christi Taylor is an instructor that I think cues really well, has the "Move Master" for various sections throughout the workout, and is fun to follow. She is a great one for really teaching the steps in an easy to learn manner. She has a new one I have not tried. Her Solid Gold has great music. That said, I do not find her as athletically/aerobically challenging as Cathe (of course) or Seasun or Amy.

Thanks... I have checked out the preview section of the toughest choreography. My issue is that I need tutorials for more basic stuff LOL.

I have yet to not master a Cathe DVD. Even the ones that say "complex" on collage video, I find doable. I guess it's her superb queueing... and my experience with her. If I could only find the time to learn the more complicated ones by others, I know I would have a blast.... Just not enough time in the day to add on a "learning" segment to my workout :)

Susan

Mini-natty - thanks for the tip on Jari. I do have some of hers and I do like them. It would be awesome if she would come out with an all step workout!

Melanie- I LOVE Step Blast and Rhythmic step. Those 2 plus Low Max are my favorites. I will definitely check out Sharon.

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. If you have any more... keep them coming!

Susan

Susan -

I totally know what you mean about wasting a work out slot. I hate previewing, etc, trying to get the moves down, when I really just want to be WORKING OUT. :eek:

I don't know if you do Netflix, but you can try out Christi Taylor with them to see what you think (they have both Solid Gold Step and Totally Cool Step). Like I said, she has excellent cuing and that helped me get a feel for some of the typical types of step moves that really helped me to nail Amy & Seasun's workouts.

Good luck, let us know what you try out!

-Stephanie
p.s. I know you said you had most of not all of Cathe's step workouts - does that include Athletic Step? Because that one rocks and I would totally recommend if it you don't have it!

I love most of Mindy Mylrea's step workouts. Probably not quite as advanced as Cathe's most advanced, but great fun factor and a pretty good challenge. My favorites are Interval Express and Action Packed (2 great workouts on one dvd. Action packed is half step half hi/low and those can be done as separate workouts). I also love her awesome intervals dvd.
There is also one Tracy Staehle that I just love that is really similar to an Imax workout. It's called High Intensity Step Mix. I loved it so much I bought 3 more of her videos, but I found the intensity levels to really vary and they are just not as much fun as High Intensity Step Mix. I think if you like Cathe's Imax workouts you would really enjoy this one.
Those are the main non-Cathe workouts that I reach for over and over.

HTH, Pam

Susan -

I totally know what you mean about wasting a work out slot. I hate previewing, etc, trying to get the moves down, when I really just want to be WORKING OUT. :eek:

I don't know if you do Netflix, but you can try out Christi Taylor with them to see what you think (they have both Solid Gold Step and Totally Cool Step). Like I said, she has excellent cuing and that helped me get a feel for some of the typical types of step moves that really helped me to nail Amy & Seasun's workouts.

Good luck, let us know what you try out!

-Stephanie
p.s. I know you said you had most of not all of Cathe's step workouts - does that include Athletic Step? Because that one rocks and I would totally recommend if it you don't have it!

Thanks Stephanie,

We just put our Netflix on temporary hold... couldn't keep up with the DVDs. I found some at the library that I put on hold (Totally Cool Step and Amy Bento's Step Challenge 2... I actually have Advanced Step Challenge 3)

AND... I am going to try to add on 20-30 minutes to the end of my workout tomorrow to work on step combos 1 and 2 from Amy's Step Challenge #3. I am determined now.... I notice she does it on a 6 inch step, do you as well?

I don't have Athletic Step. It has been on my list to buy, but I always shy away because of the length. I like to do a 60+ minute workout. Now I know I can combine it with something else, I just think for the money it should have at least an hour... But people keep raving about it... hmmmm...

Lastly, on an unrelated topic... Why does it say "member" under our names and others have "cathlete" How do we get to be cathletes?!?!??!

Susan

Last edited:
I love most of Mindy Mylrea's step workouts. Probably not quite as advanced as Cathe's most advanced, but great fun factor and a pretty good challenge. My favorites are Interval Express and Action Packed (2 great workouts on one dvd. Action packed is half step half hi/low and those can be done as separate workouts). I also love her awesome intervals dvd.
There is also one Tracy Staehle that I just love that is really similar to an Imax workout. It's called High Intensity Step Mix. I loved it so much I bought 3 more of her videos, but I found the intensity levels to really vary and they are just not as much fun as High Intensity Step Mix. I think if you like Cathe's Imax workouts you would really enjoy this one.
Those are the main non-Cathe workouts that I reach for over and over.

HTH, Pam

Thanks Pam,

I do enjoy Cathe's imax workouts... I will add these to my list of DVDs to check out. Thanks!

Thanks Stephanie,

We just put our Netflix on temporary hold... couldn't keep up with the DVDs. I found some at the library that I put on hold (Totally Cool Step and Amy Bento's Step Challenge 2... I actually have Advanced Step Challenge 3)

AND... I am going to try to add on 20-30 minutes to the end of my workout tomorrow to work on step combos 1 and 2 from Amy's Step Challenge #3. I am determined now.... I notice she does it on a 6 inch step, do you as well?

I don't have Athletic Step. It has been on my list to buy, but I always shy away because of the length. I like to do a 60+ minute workout. Now I know I can combine it with something else, I just think for the money it should have at least an hour... But people keep raving about it... hmmmm...

Lastly, on an unrelated topic... Why does it say "member" under our names and others have "cathlete" How do we get to be cathletes?!?!??!

Susan

Let's see, the 6 inch is the step and 2 risers, right? I always do Amy or Seasun on just one riser; with the choreography I just worry too much about twisting an ankle. As a note, for Amy's ASC2, there is a move in there called the hip-hop stick that I just about kill myself on every time. I finally stopped turning with it and do the jumps in one place and that helped me a lot.

Athletic Step is shorter, but that is one thing I like about it - I can still squeeze in a step workout when I am short on time. Also, it is more intense than your typical steady state workout so that may be why it is shorter. There are three combos, then you put them together, than there is a power burst section to drive the heart rate up, then stretch.

That is cool your library has those options. I have looked at mine and they don't have many decent workout dvd options.

I *think* but am not certain the cathlete/ member description has to do with your # of posts. So maybe 100 makes you cathlete?

-Stephanie

Member vs Cathlete

Hi Susan,

The "Cathlete" people on the forums is for people who have a certain number of posts. So those of us who came from the old forum to this one (or had a certain number of posts) are "Cathletes". Once you post a certain amount, you'll be elevated to Cathlete from member.

Hope that helps,

Mini-natty - thanks for the tip on Jari. I do have some of hers and I do like them. It would be awesome if she would come out with an all step workout!

Melanie- I LOVE Step Blast and Rhythmic step. Those 2 plus Low Max are my favorites. I will definitely check out Sharon.

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. If you have any more... keep them coming!

Susan

I agree about the all-step workout from Jari. I like her, she seems very down to earth. I know people find her ditzy, but I find her endearing. BTW, if you ask her a question on the forum, SHE RESPONDS!! How cool is that!!

I was going to tell you to try Gilad (ha, ha, ha OMG) have you seen him on Collage Video????!!!! His old stuff wearing the tights and the girls in the background in thongs!! WTH??? I was laughing so hard! You never know, he just might be the guy for ya!

My number one favorite step is Intense Moves by Gin Miller. She is the queen of cueing, and in this tape she gives you 3 levels, easier, hard, & hardest move. plus it is an interval training tape. I can't say enough about it.
Gin's "The original step" is another favorite.
I have 8 of her step tapes. LOVE her.

Christi Taylor is another fave. I have 5 of hers. love her.
Donna Read is fun and I love her step tapes, she is featured in many of the CIA classics.
Breakthru step is fun fun fun... love them
Andre Houle gives variety.
I love G-Force because it is fun looking at 3 handsome guys.
Kristin Kagen Step this way are tricky so it will take a couple of months to master, so her tapes stay new 'cause they are not too old too quick.
Kari Anderson is also challenging so just like Kristin, they stay newer longer for me. I have 7 Kari and 1&2 of Kristins Step this way.
Kathy Smith and Keli Roberts you'll be able to do right away.
I have 72 step tapes that are not Cathe - I also have every Cathe ever made so far (so don't yell:rolleyes:;))

CIA's that are entirely step are these:
4004, 7004, 8001, 8005, 9002,
9701, 9702
9802, 9804, 9806
2K04, 2K06 Step Attack,
2104 Greatest Step Gay Gasper
2204 Step Till you Drop,
2206 Step2BFit,
I have more newer ones but haven't written them down on my list yet. Starting at the 9700 series they really get good. the lower numbers are easier to follow.

Even though I have all these, I still get curious about new instructors and DVDS. So instead of renting movies with my Blockbuster online account, I rent exercise videos. lol ! It's practical cause I return the DVD to the store and get a new release in exchange. Works for me! :)

My number one favorite step is Intense Moves by Gin Miller. She is the queen of cueing, and in this tape she gives you 3 levels, easier, hard, & hardest move. plus it is an interval training tape. I can't say enough about it.
Gin's "The original step" is another favorite.
I have 8 of her step tapes. LOVE her.

Christi Taylor is another fave. I have 5 of hers. love her.
Donna Read is fun and I love her step tapes, she is featured in many of the CIA classics.
Breakthru step is fun fun fun... love them
Andre Houle gives variety.
I love G-Force because it is fun looking at 3 handsome guys.
Kristin Kagen Step this way are tricky so it will take a couple of months to master, so her tapes stay new 'cause they are not too old too quick.
Kari Anderson is also challenging so just like Kristin, they stay newer longer for me. I have 7 Kari and 1&2 of Kristins Step this way.
Kathy Smith and Keli Roberts you'll be able to do right away.
I have 72 step tapes that are not Cathe - I also have every Cathe ever made so far (so don't yell:rolleyes:;))

CIA's that are entirely step are these:
4004, 7004, 8001, 8005, 9002,
9701, 9702
9802, 9804, 9806
2K04, 2K06 Step Attack,
2104 Greatest Step Gay Gasper
2204 Step Till you Drop,
2206 Step2BFit,
I have more newer ones but haven't written them down on my list yet. Starting at the 9700 series they really get good. the lower numbers are easier to follow.

Even though I have all these, I still get curious about new instructors and DVDS. So instead of renting movies with my Blockbuster online account, I rent exercise videos. lol ! It's practical cause I return the DVD to the store and get a new release in exchange. Works for me! :)

:eek:Lucia A - this is an awesome list! Wow! I never knew the difference on the numbers for the CIA videos - I guess I always thought they had to do with the year they are released, so that is really good to know.

It made me think, Susan, I should have posted this link http://www.videofitness.com/reviews/step.php; it is a really good review site of a bunch of step videos (although I don't think it has some of the more recent ones). Many of the CIA's that Lucia A mentions are on this site.

***OLD POST REVIVE WARNing!!!***

Just thought I'd share that in addition to Cathe LIVE (I find them more simple to get the hang of than her released/dvd ones in the past), I tried Power Step by Power Music Group and would recommend for anyone who enjoys some step & particularly for those of us perhaps getting back to step after an absence. (More advanced cardio folks might not find it up to their level.)

http://canada.powermusic.com/choreography/group-rx/power-step-30.html (obviously the Canada currency ......you could change to your own!!)
From what I could tell, sometimes they do have coupons, although there doesn't appear to be one on currently.

***OLD POST REVIVE WARNing!!!***

I'll jump in too. If you can do streaming The Gymbox has tons of step workouts. They are taught by a single instructor and taught "live" so they don't seem as polished as a Cathe video but some very creative routines on there. Moves I've never seen anywhere else. There can be quite a few holding patterns and step knees while the instructor demos a tricky move. You can view a couple on Youtube before signing up to see if they fit your style.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=gymbox+step+aerobics

I really recommend Ashli - she has some of the most creative classes.

I love Kelly Coffey Meyer (http://www.coffeyfit.com) - she has kickboxing and step-kickboxing routines that are a lot of fun and if you are short on time, can do 30 min workouts. Her routines are broken down and not complex in these videos. She has a couple of step videos that are grrrr-inspiring!

As Elsie mentioned in a post above, Power Music Group RX Power Step DVDs are good. I have some BTS/Mossa Group Step and Group Blast DVDs to sell. I no longer teach this format at my gym.

Hi-

I have most if not all of Cathe's step DVDs and I find her routines are perfect for me - not too dancy. I have tried some by Amy Bento and I find myself tripping all over myself. I also tried one by Seasun Zieger (Stepping Up with Seasun Zieger) and did very little before giving up. I don't have hours to devote learning an exercise DVD.

Any other great step DVDs out there that are as good AND challenging?

Also, are there any challenging kick box routines out there? I always find that KB videos don't get my heart rate up enough (unless I am doing the drills in Kick Max or KPC)

Thanks for your help!

Susan
Jari Love has several workouts that utilize the step. They are challenging, well organized and good.

Of course Cathe is my number one.....but if anyone is looking for advanced step choreography check out Rebecca Small. She rules!!! It's low impact and very complex....different combos of moves that I've never seen. She does about 8 combos per DVD. I especially love Step 2 Success. The DVDs are by Evolution. If you love Step Moves and Rhythmic Step you will dig it! Check her out :)
Have to agree, she's very good!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.